Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

From reading the planning permission from dart+ west the planned frequencies in the peak hour would be:

- 3 trains per hour to/from Grand Canal Dock

- 4 trains per hour to/from Spencer Dock via Drumcondra

- 4 trains per hour to/from Heuston

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Somehow, I doubt that this will be the actual frequencies. It just means that the project will facilitate "up to" these frequencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If these frequencies are facilitated and we have the rolling stock (which we will, loads on order), why would the frequencies not be delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Was it not supposed to be 12 per hour and not 11 as you've mentioned? At least that's what the DART+ website says.

it does but on the frequencies on the planning report it only says 11, so unless its including a Longford commuter im not sure whats going on.

• Advertisement

You only need to look at the difference in frequencies promised versus delivered when they developed the Phoenix Park tunnel to see the gap between promise and reality.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119965457/#Comment_119965457

If you look at current service levels into Connolly etc, the levels mentioned are as it is now for the most part

For the Northern line it looks like:

3 Northern commuter , 3 Malahide DART, 3 Howth DART

That will look to be replaced with

5 Northern line DART, 2 Clongriffin DART, 2 Malahide DART

For Maynooth the maximum Connolly Commuter trains that run from there are 3 (not including Longford commuter)

These plans are saying the max number will be 3 so there will be no different.

The biggest change would be if they can cut down the gaps in the evening peak that are there to let the Sligo and Longford express through

The planned increases for this line would be the 3 Maynooths (potential) to Spencer Dock and the 2 extra m3 parkway to Spencer Dock

For Southwest, the maximum you would see leave GCD for Hazelhatch is 3 an hour, the plans are saying 3 so that wont change, maybe a rebalancing

The biggest extra services will be the extra services from Heuston, and the planned 4 services from Spencer Dock via Drumcondra.

The biggest caveat to DART+ West and DART+ South West would be Metro and Glasnevin , If thats delayed , i cant see there being much potential for the spencer docks in the short-term and tbh they should be having both Maynooth and Hazelhatch Spencer Dock services, stopping in Drumcondra to enable both sets of passengers to make connections for Connolly. leave m3 parkway on the midland line, they can connect with Drumcondra at Broombridge

Post edited by thomasj on

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DoctorPan

Biggest issue is the anti social behaviour and how easily ASB can remove disability access to a station, hence why they favour the bridge solution. Same why they won't put in underpasses, not super public friendly and preception that they are places for ASB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Is this an official proposal for the northern line?

Only four Darts that are not coming from Drogheda? So if I'm getting a rush hour Dart from Raheny I can get one of these four trains or else get on a northern line dart (that I assume will be packed)?

And how does the Howth shuttle work? Hundreds of Howth passengers changing at Howth Junction and getting on these northern line darts?

I honestly can't see this resulting in more comfortable rush hour journeys for those from Howth Junction onwards.

This is the plan for the breakdown of services in the Connolly area, it was outlined in the planning permission for DART+ West

From reading it , 3 DARTs per hour terminate in Drogheda , 2 DARTs per hour start/end at Laytown

• Advertisement

Sorry I missed this!

You would be able to get any of those DARTs including the Drogheda and Laytown ones

Yep the plan is for the Howths to terminate in howth junction and people will hop on to a Drogheda/Laytown/malahide/clongriffin train

• Registered Users Posts: 27,681 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, and unlikely to change until MetroLink is built. Because of interchange at Glasnevin West, less trains from West and South-West will need to feed into Connolly, allowing greater frequency from the Northern Line.

Alternatively, some way of interchanging with Connolly from the Spencer Dock line would be needed to free up space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Yes, I know that I will be able to get any of the Drogheda Darts but lets face it, these aren't short hop Darts as we know them. They are trains coming from the country and I can't help but think they will be packed by the time they get to existing Dart stations in rush hour.

So if I want to avoid the long haul trains this means there are less short hop Darts than before. 6 down to 4.

I remain skeptical that this new setup will alleviate rush hour crushes. The new trains need to be long but knowing IR they will find a way to halve them to save money like the mess we have with the Dart fleet at the moment.

It's nuts that the Dart Plus project is meant to be the alternative to Dart Underground and was sold as such, but yet when it comes to what really would be a game changer for Dart Plus - that is, to four-track the northern line - the same timidity, lack of ambition and fear of disturbing the status quo seems to persist ...and this is a status quo which, just yesterday, the IPCC gave a final warning about in relation to the devastating consequences it will lead us in terms of the environment as we know it.

They could have even considered shutting Connolly Station for through-services and building an interchange station at East Wall where the two lines connect, because let's face, anyone destined for city centre is better served by Tara than Connolly and anyone destined for Docklands is better served by the new Spencer Dock station than Connolly. Having an interchange where the lines dissect would serve that purpose perfectly. The only people in need of Connolly are those terminating trains that won't make it as far as Tara, and they can still stop at an interchange station in East Wall for all other needs.

Having Drogheda/Laytown bound trains stopping at every station along the way isn't going to work, that can't be the plan. It would mean that journey times north of Donabate would be enormous, such that it would turn people off the train. As already said, it would also mean a big deterioration in service for people south of Malahide. Then you have people on the Howth branch unhappy about losing direct trains.

There is no way making the train service worse for literally everyone on the northern line will be accepted in what is supposed to be an "upgrade" project. Where are the benefits in spending whose millions? Why build a turnback platform at Malahide if you are going to terminate less trains there then at present? I refuse to believe that is the actual plan, it makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Quad Tracking the Northern line would be "difficult", a lot of it is in a cutting or has buildings close to it.

I have said before, build Metro North to DART guage, and quad track it from the city to Rush via swords, and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Quad track MetroLink? Don't think that's in the plans....

Also, will the Metro be the same guage as Dart?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Will Dart Coastal include any passing loop on the northern, or southern, city sections?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This made me laugh quite a bit, considering all ML has been through over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

That makes no sense at all, even if money was no object.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I disagree,

If this was gone, capacity on the Northernline is increased, since no need to share track with Enterprise/Dundalk/Drogheda trains, which will have dedicated tracks along side Metro north.

So you want to just double the scope of Metrolink just like that and don't foresee any issues with that? Metrolink is what it is, any changes sets the project back a decade, nothing is worth that.

This is from the DART+ Coastal North webpage;

If all 24 paths from Drogheda were used, it would only leave 6 paths for DARTs south from Malahide, so 2 per hour. Then another 2 per hour starting from Clongriffin. I think this is just indicating paths rather then stating service pattern. There wouldn't be demand for 8 trains per hour southbound from Drogheda, particularly if the train stopped at every bloody station between there and Connolly. If you had 5 per hour departing from Drogheda, there could be another 5 per hour departing from Malahide, plus another 2 per hour departing from Clongriffin. It might make more sense to have more departing from Clongriffin rather than Malahide if a commuter train can overtake there.

Coastal North proposes extra track loop at Clongriffin and a new turnback at Malahide. No details on Coastal south yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DoctorPan

The acceleration/deceleration of the new BEMU/EMUs is greater then the existing 29000s meaning that a BEMU/EMU on all stations stopper between Connolly & Drogheda is a few minutes faster then the existing limited stops 29000s stopping pattern.

Are you sure this is correct? There would be at least half a dozen additional stops all requiring extra deceleration, alighting/boarding and acceleration time. It would be a lot of time to make up with better simply acceleration/deceleration at existing stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Given that that poster has previously indicated an involvement in the project, I think we can take it that they are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Don't think that you can really say without looking at the future use of the line. With the increase in the number of trains on the line, and with limited extra passing loops, any train that skips station will have less clear runs into the city.

Advertisement