Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie Kardashian is in a women's prison. Taoiseach's response to questions on this are here..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

Statements such as the above which has been thanked by 56 fine upstanding posters.

I could find dozens more all along the lines of equating all trans individuals with this single disturbed person

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

"This group present a risk that can be mitigated with minimal adjustment and should be" is the very basis of safeguarding.

And the group in question is males. And yes, we do (or at least historically have 🙄) separate males from females in certain situations - say, prisons, changing rooms, rape crisis centers - in order to protect the safety and dignity of (usually) the females. Because while not all males are predators, we understand that some are and that when they are able to enact the violence they wish to, it is completely devastating for the victims.

An 8pm curfew fails the "minimal adjustment" test.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

You have it backwards. The argument here is that biological males should not have the right to women only spaces and this is an (extreme) example why. If this person didn’t exist the point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

To my knowledge, gay people are not more likely than straight people to be paedophiles.

Transwomen, on the other hand, retain a male pattern of criminality commensurate with that of their male peers…

Those two statements are not comparable, never mind whatever a “male pattern of criminality” is, it still doesn’t give any indication of the rate of paedophilia among men who claim to be women, in order to be able to compare it to the rate of paedophilia among men.

Sexual offences covers a broad spectrum of offences, so simply stating that UK statistics in relation to the number of people convicted of sexual offences is higher among men who claim to be women, isn’t saying much, and in fact contradicts your idea that it’s a fair assumption that they are using any ‘legal loopholes’ to access women’s prisons when they don’t intend to be caught in the first place.

Your reasoning doesn’t work anywhere, let alone in Ireland, because whether or not they have a GRC is irrelevant as to where anyone convicted of a sexual offence is accommodated. There are numerous factors taken into consideration in evaluating where anyone convicted of a sexual offence is accommodated if they are handed down a custodial sentence.

That’s not what that post says and you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

I am sure it is not done in bad faith, but it is once again a slight strawman.

The OP uses extreme specifics to justify a general response: the exclusion of all trans women from all women's spaces.

I wasn't making any point about trans-identifying males and paedophilia. You've misread my post. I suspect purposely.

I don't know why I unmute you, but it's always an error.

Peace, Jack.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

No, I don’t realise that, because I know that nobody is required to produce a GRC in the first place, and they would be digging an even bigger hole for themselves if they tried to claim they were being discriminated against on the grounds of gender, not only because Irish law already permits exceptions in cases such as domestic violence shelters for women, but because they would be shining a spotlight on themselves and facing even more questions and challenges as to what they hoped to accomplish with what they were at.

Apart from that, domestic violence shelters were never safe places for women and their children anyway because of the behaviour of the other residents in them, which is why I would never recommend a woman experiencing domestic violence would go anywhere near them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

There isnt two sexes and two genders, even ignoring trans/non binary people, 1.7% of the population is intersex.

• Advertisement

I know you weren’t, that’s exactly what I was pointing out - that you weren’t comparing like with like. Instead you made a point about “male patterns of criminality” when the point was about drawing an analogy between the hysteria driven arguments about this issue, and the hysteria driven arguments about gay men that weren’t based on any kind of legitimate evidence or reason, but rather on portraying a stereotype of them as being deviants and more likely to engage in criminal behaviour.

It stands to reason that gay men were more likely to be engaged in criminal behaviour when homosexual acts were a criminal offence!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

One Eyed Jack do you actually sincerely believe all this that you’ve written here to be the reality of this situation?

If so, how do you feel at the end of this week when the PM of Ireland is not on the same page as you, the next PM of the UK is not on the same page as you, and World Athletics has decided that biological men with the advantage of puberty can no longer expect to compete against women?

It must be pretty worrying. I’m not being facetious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

To be honest its not a question if this is a "typical" trans person, typical women don't wind up in prison.

Either this nutter is a woman or is not, according to our current legislation and the ideology that promoted it. Interesting to see this ideology willing to suddenly start introducing caveats when they were screaming bloody murder about anyone suggesting that there was any difference between women and any converted woman.

I think you will find it does. But do explain how the below is not equating "most of these people" with the individual nutcase

Barbie Kardashian lol . When are we allowed say most of these people just have mental health issues?

To be clear, my position is that transwomen are male and their access to female spaces should be heavily curtailed in line with the rest of the male population. Most transwomen are men who identify as women and that's as far as it goes. Perhaps they dress in what they think of as "women's clothing", but more often than not there are no hormones taken and (much) more often than not there are no surgeries performed. So if you remove whatever collection of pink-and-flowy the person believes means they are presenting as a woman, you are left with a man with a penis. I do not believe that women should be obliged to accept men into their toilets, changing rooms, domestic violence services, prisons, and so on. It is not my opinion that a fully intact, forty-year-old male should be able to get naked beside a 12-year-old girl in a changing room. It is not my opinion that a severely disabled women who requires daily intimate care, including help with incontinence and periods, should be unable to object to a male care worker performing those actions because that male care worker wears a wig and says he has a feeling in his head. It is not my opinion that it is acceptable for lesbian women to be called "sexual racists" (as they were by Nancy Kelley, Stonewall's CEO) for refusing to consider males as sexual partners. Perhaps you think those are extreme examples, as well? Or you're in favour of them?

This has in fact been an ongoing discussion fore some years now in Ireland and elsewhere. The reason you only see the 'extreme' examples is because the issues raised by women's groups are largely ignored by media and politicians and we are told things like this will never - nay, could never - happen. So when things that could never happen do in fact happen, the discussion ends up being more wide-ranging because the rest of the time it's suppressed.

In any event, and whichever way you look at it, and with all arguments about risk assessment and so on aside, BK is only in a women's prison because of Irish laws around gender identity.

Those laws need to be changed to accommodate the dignity, privacy and safety of women. You can't just discard any consideration for one group of people because a cooler, more in-vogue issue came along, and this is the government's chance to recognise that fact before more harm is done.

Mental health issue are wide ranging and varying, and in no way all lead to being violent rapists. So no, it doesn’t equate all trans with this person. Completely misrepresenting what that poster said.

Disorders of sexual development are not related to this issue, but in any case are all caused by mutations that are sex-specific. There are male intersex people and female intersex people, and while each may carry some sex characteristics more in line with the opposite sex, their sex is nonetheless discernible through testing. There are two mammalian sexes, and no mammals are sequentially hermaphroditic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@CGI_Livia_Soprano

In your opinion what makes this person a woman,

So you agree then that "most of these people" have mental health issues?

This is the type of attitude that in the first half of the last century ended up with large swathes of the population institutionalised because they didn't conform to what society considered the norm at the time

“So what you’re saying is…..”

Are you purposely misrepresenting my post? Is that what your tactic is. I said it didn’t say what you think it said and explained why. I never agreed with it. And now you’ve moved on to lying about me. Go away.

• Advertisement

I understand the point you're making about the initial post, but this isn't a winning way to tackle it. In every study I've seen on trans mental health, more than half have diagnosed psychiatric conditions, ranging from depression to bipolar, etc.

The cause isn't know and I've seen different people give different opinions on it, but trans people are much more likely than their non-trans peers to have mental health issues. I don't think minimising that is a good idea, since the resources required to help them won't be put in place without awareness (not that mental health services here are worth a damn right now, really, for anyone).

Yes, is the answer to your first question.

In answer to your second query, I’d actually be concerned if either Leo or Rishi had the authority or ability to make laws based upon their personal views. That World Athletics has the authority to regulate the competitions they organise isn’t of any great concern either tbh, they’re still subject to local and international laws in the jurisdictions in which they operate, and their rules can and have been challenged and changed at various times throughout their history when they realised their rules threatened the continued existence of the organisation because they were turning more people off than those who recognised organisations like them as the ultimate authority in any domain, which in the case you mention happens to be sports.

I’m sure you can think of other examples without my prompting where people abandoned the organisation in their droves because they no longer recognised the leadership of those organisations as having any authority over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The uneasy obsession with trans people continues on boards.

Freud would have an absolute field day.

I’d say Freud would be more concerned within men claiming to be women and people pretending they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That's one post, do you think that everyone objecting to BK being in a woman's prison believes that all transpeople are mentally unwell and pose a risk to women?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well, apparently he had quite the admiration and respect for Magnus Hirschfeld.

The Nazis weren't fans of his work though. 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

Some aspects of our current era are going to be viewed by historians with amusement/bafflement. This is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Where are you getting this from? The majority of prison officers in female prisons, dochas and Limerick are female. And they are threats???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Intersex is a medical condition. Transgenderism isn’t. Transgender people and their allies are very keen that you’d know that it is not a medical condition of any kind.

So why are you even mentioning intersex?

also what are the terms that we are to use for these other “sexes” that you allege exist? So there’s “male” “female” and ???? What are the others?

• Advertisement

Not really, Freud was all about promoting the idea that all humans incorporate aspects of both sexes. He was as crackers as many of his contemporaries at the time, especially when it came to women -

Penis envy is the female counterpart to Freud’s concept of castration anxiety. In his theory of psychosexual development, Freud suggested that during the phallic stage (around ages 3 to 6 years) young girls distance themselves from their mothers and instead devote their affections to their fathers.

According to Freud, this occurs when a girl realizes that she has no penis. "Girls hold their mother responsible for their lack of a penis and do not forgive her for their being thus put at a disadvantage," Freud suggested (1933).

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-sigmund-freud-viewed-women-2795859

Advertisement