Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I have the privilege of my renewal this month and my quote for renewing is €200 more than last year, I’m baffled 😮 I’ve gotten a few quotes and there are all similar quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Axa reduced their quote to €680 and after asking me if anyone I live with is with Axa it was dropped a further €70 so went ahead with that. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Seems to be heading back to horror story days of 2015 /16 /17 when motor insurance costs went through the roof. This despite all the supposed court claims and costs reduction changes. My insurance is not due until May, but what I'm reading here is not encouraging. Neither was the experience of a friend of mine whose cover is up this month. The quote was pretty much the same as last year, but when he went into the details, he discovered that a lot of what was covered as standard in last years insurance, was not standard any longer. All the "Extras" were available, but at a price. Driving other cars? Yes €€€. Key replacement? Yes €€€. Breakdown cover? Yes €€€ and so on and so on. Anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

For anyone checking online quotes, I can highly recommend AIG. They wouldn't have been on my radar before and I stumbled across them just as I was getting a pain in my hoop filling in the online quotes. Got a great price and changed over to them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

How much? Age, car etc would help, looks like we have to start shopping around again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Second the AIG recommendation. My renewal quote (Liberty via Chill) was €520, I paid 4-something last year. Got a quote from AIG for €377.

41/F, Dublin, 152 Skoda Octavia Ambition 1.6 Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Male 41; Full Irish; 20 years NCB; No penalty points, claims or convictions; 2011 Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D

Renewal for comprehensive cover with Zurich: €467. Last years premium for like for like cover with Zurich was €390.

Went online and got a like for like quote of Zurich of €404. Only thing is that it will not allow me to proceed and take that cover as its copping that I am a customer with them already by the license number I provide. I am directed to call them which I did this evening.

Told her that I was getting an online quote of €404 as a new customer and she said that would be a new customer only discount. Told her I was aggrieved that they could not honour the same price for me being a loyal customer and I was getting a quote of €416 from Aviva (which I am). She said best she could do was €420. I said I won't go with that out of principle. She asked if she would lapse my policy. I said not to just yet.

Was wondering after if I called them back and asked them to lapse my policy would it allow me to proceed with the quote for €404 online as a new customer? Anybody ever come across this? Otherwise I'll likely go with Allianz.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes you can do that. Sign up as a new customer after your old policy ends but it is more difficult as you have to give them your NCB proof and what ever else they ask for as a new customer.

I was sort of gathering that I'd need to send them on their own NCB proof, copy of drivers license etc either way. Mores to the point I do not want to go without cover as using my car everyday. Your saying I would I need to wait until after my current policy ends with them on the 1st of March (not desirable to me for the afore mentioned reason)? The whole thing is a bit silly really.

I wouldn't go lapsing your policy as it could be construed as a policy being cancelled which is a disaster. I'd go with Aviva effective from the 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Anyone got a handy A-Z list of companies I can pop into an Excel sheet - to contact for quotes - going try them all this years renewal up again for no reason whatsoever, to time to vote with my wallet...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I would personally just go with the Aviva quote, there's no loyalty with insurance companies to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Male - 36 - full NCB and full licence. Driving a 181 BMW 5 series Diesel

Last year my insurer Ivernia was 550. This year it landed in at 760. Couldn’t believe it. Checked around and it does t seem to be much better. Best quote seems to be Axa at 600.

I don’t get how some companies charge what they charge. Aviva wanted 1070. BOI was 1400 bloody euro. Madness. Utter madness

If you go in to get a quote from any that provide online quotes and for the question who are you currently insured with all the companies should be listed on the drop down there I expect. Not all provide quotes direct to the public though as some provide quotes through Brokers only, RSA being an example.

Something similar is available on the motortax.ie site, just pretend you're taxing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭robbie000

Hi,

I got a quote from Allianz for renewal €440 but when I go onto their website I get the same quote for €370 which is now classed as new business. They wont match the online price and no other companies seem to be as cheap for quotes.

Anyone get any good deals recently. Also I see Chill insurance offering the same policy with Allianz for €370 but going through them as a broker so might just have to do that.

Cheers

Rob

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

44 years old, Full NCB and licence, 2015 passat. Insurance went up from 451 to 623. 38% increase with no claims in between. That was with BOI / RSA and a work discount. I called them, but no change.

Was able to get quotes for similar cover from Allianz (421), FBD (466), AIG (475), Cornmarket (496).

FBD are on-site at work next week, so hoping to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Similar age, full NCB and license also but on a 2007 Volvo S60 and my renewal with FBD went from €467 to €609 (+30%) with no changes. Haven't tried the pain staking process of looking for alternatives quotes yet as policy not up until next month and when I input some details last week some sites wouldn't quote as policy start date was greater than 30 days in advance.

When I input details and same cover as a new customer with FBD however it gave me a quote of €542 so 11% better than as a returning customer. Same farcical process of penalising existing customers when it should be an easy process for them instead of setting up new details and payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

I thought that business of two tier quotes was supposed to have been abolished??? Wasn't the Government to bring in legislation to tackle it? What events worldwide are now driving astronomical insurance price rises here in Ireland? War in Ukraine? Ever Given container ship getting stuck in the Suez Canal? Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

29, 07 Daihatsu Sirion, 7 years license & 5 NCB. Liberty renewal up 56% from 386 to 602.

123.ie 678.22

25plus No

AA 860.47

An Post No

AIG 717.73

Allianz No

Aviva No

AXA 687.16

Bestquote.ie 587.79

Blue Insurance Site broke

Campion 587.79

Chill 897.11

coverinaclick No

FBD No

KennCo No

quote devil 602

Quoteme.ie

Sheridan Insurance Site too much info

Zurich No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Read Coverinaclick after poster above said they'd best. Called (website not working) and Craig said they will do 550 (with liberty, so 50 off my renewal with them) and an €80 FUEL VOUCHER.

Thats about 10% up and a nice perk. It'll pip liberty unless they can get me down to 460.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭ofcork

Im with ivernia through chill quote this year same as last 500 or so on an avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Male 40+ Full Irish; Full NCB; No penalty points, claims or convictions; 2013 Ford Focus 1.6 Diesel

Renewal for comprehensive cover with AIG €400+ . Last years premium like for like cover with AIG was €384.

Went to Zurich for €350 (20% Bord Gais discount the game changer)

Just got a message from Revolut saying they're entering the car insurance market in April. Mine is out in May so I registered my interest, could be lucky 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So just got my renewal quote from AXA, they seem to come out earlier each year, used to be lucky to get a renewal quote a fortnight before renewal now its a full month.

I've had the same insurance which has a few extras for the last 5 years (car changed in 2019 but same engine size) and these are my past quotes (which I obviously went with although I'm sure I haggled the price down a few times?).

I pay about an extra €40-€50 for drive any car and I also pay something extra for Full No Claims Discount Protection.

Car is a 2010 Ford Focus 1.4 Petrol 60+ yo fart driving and wife as named driver (she has her own car also insured with AXA).

Renewal Fully Comp €399

2022 €420

2021 €450

2020 €495

2019 €527

2018 €506

So tbh I can't see too much reason for shopping around although I'll do the dance with AXA CS to see if they can reduce it further.

Edit> No idea what its worth but also noticed a that my Credit Union discount is also included in the price?

Wake me up when it's all over.

You did well but the whole process is farcical. Tried AXA just now for a quote and it was showing nearly €1,150 for just TPFT on a 2007 Volvo S60 2.0 petrol, 43 male with 10+ years no claims. I didn't even have time to close the tab before they rang me asking if I had any questions and if I wanted to proceed with the quote. Just told them it was a ridiculous quote.

Have seen others above get reasonable quotes from Aviva so tried them and they won't even give me a quote. same as every other year since car turned 10. Tried exact same details but on a 2014 reg and with full no claim protections quote was €527 which would be the best I'm seeing to date this year.

Revolute are going to be too late for me as my renewal is due in two weeks but hoping they shake up the market somewhat and offer some better quotes.

Seems to me that TPFT is always more expensive than fully comp? This year with the above renewal of €399 they sent me an alternate quote for TPFT of €420.

^^^ Any named drivers on yours that always seems to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Out of interest what value did you put in for the car. At one stage I was insuring a 13 year old car with 123.ie and it was cheaper when I upped the valuation to €5K having been originally quoted based on a €1K value.

Thanks, comprehensive was a little more expensive at nearly €1,200. Didn't input any named driver and with that initial quote didn't bother amending to see if there would be a reduction. I've had my brother listed as a named driver previously as with 123 especially it was a little cheaper but not much in it, I removed him last year with FBD who I went with in the end as having him included made it more expensive.

123 were competitive for me a few years ago and at one stage I was with them for 3 years in a row as I couldn't get better elsewhere. They're nearly €600 this year with a named driver and bonus protection. For same cover only FBD as a new customer €542 are coming in better so far (renewal €609 though). Have let insurance lapse for a day in previous years and signed up again with same company as a new customer than take their renewal offer, things are that ridiculous.

How does anyone with a driving conviction, lack of no claims bonus or heaven forbit a modified car get insurance in this country.

• Advertisement

Well when it comes to modified cars the couple of drivers I know that keep modifying them don't tell the insurance company.

Advertisement