Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie Kardashian is in a women's prison. Taoiseach's response to questions on this are here..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No there isn't.

This person should never have got near the criminal justice system.

They should have been committed to the central mental hospital long before that.

Solitary confinement for 4 years and then released is beyond idiotic.

But but they could find “dozens more”.

And that post doesn’t say what they claimed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

No, and I dont think you will find a single syllable from me that is critical of people objecting to this individual being in a woman's prison. Or a single word from me that suggests this person should be incarcerated in a women's prison.

What you will find is that it is those posts that generalise for the trans community as a whole based on this one individual or those that attempt to conflate other issues around trans right, such as sporting competition, with this case are the ones that I am challenging.

My own opinion is for the record:

• This individual should not be incarcerated with the general prison population as they appear to be a violent lunatic to be honest.
    • In general accommodation should be made, where practicable, to facilitate the rights of both trans women and biological women. This should never mean that people are forced to share a private space when to do so has the potential to make them feel their privacy is violated. If this means trans women need to be segregated, so be it.
    • Trans individuals who have benefited from male puberty should not be allowed complete on a level playing field with females in a sport where that would give them an advantage.
    • There are two factors which are driving increasing number of trans in the community, one positive and one potentially negative. It is recognised that gender identity does not always correlate with birth sex. This is not a new phenomenon. There are many societies throughout history where a small number of individuals have served gender roles different to their birth sex. Broader acceptance of this has resulted in more people being comfortable in expressing their different identity. This is the positive. The potential negatives are some individuals have body image, identity or other separate issues and unrelated to gender- and may latch on to changing gender as the solution to their problems without actually addressing their true issue. I however do not have the knowledge or insight to differentiate between both so treat all with basic decency, once no one else is harmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

So by your calculation 17 out of every 1000 people are intersex?

Gosh that’s a lot, don’t you think?

That would mean that there are 85000 intersex people in Ireland??!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Going back to the gay men point raised earlier. Gay men do NOT change gender nor do they consider themselves in any way trans. They are same SEX attracted. They do not wish to have access to female spaces, sport, prisons, hospitals, refuges etc. as a different gender. No one should be comparing gay men to transgender women ever.

I personally think that the gay community in allowing the "T" to be tacked on to the LGB label (which acknowledges a sexual orientation not a feeling), have done themselves a huge disservice. You only have to look at some of the posts here trying to state that gay men are in a similar category to predatory transwomen.

Honestly, being gay is real, they do not change natal sex, they do not want to invade female spaces and so on. Transwomen may not all wish to do the same, but the key fact is that under the current Self ID law they have the RIGHT to do so if they wish, therefore some do and nothing can be done about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Again, deflecting to the wider group.

you know the thread is about specific men who transition and are a danger to women. I suspect if even you would feel "uneasy" if you had to share a space close to Barbie Kardashian.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I personality wouldn't want to be anywhere them, absolutely nothing to do with how she choses to identify though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Because a trans woman is not a woman. They are men who believe they are women.

A woman is different to a man not only at a physical level, but at a genetic, biological, physical and emotional level.

Now unless a man can change to embody all the above, he is still a man who thinks he's a woman.

Women have a right to be in a female only space just as much as I have a right to be in a male only space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Spot on. Agree with every word.Let the truth be shouted from the rooftops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00224490209552139

About 906.

Intersex is key for gender ideology activists. It can be shortened to "sex isn't binary because of intersex people, therefore there is an infinity number of genders".

Along with most postmodernism it's mostly waffle. See below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

the key fact is that under the current Self ID law they have the RIGHT to do so if they wish, therefore some do and nothing can be done about it.

That isn’t a fact though. Being in possession of a GRC is nothing more than an administrative matter, in that it is recognised by the Irish State, same as any other legal document recognised by the Irish State. It doesn’t automatically entitle anyone to do anything, and the only right it gives anyone is the same right as anyone else has already which is recognition by the State. There’s plenty can be done about anyone imagining they have an automatic right of entry into anywhere, and there’s plenty is permitted in Irish law to deny people access to these places and spaces should any organisation wish to do so.

There is the matter of the Equal Status Act which forbids discrimination, inter alia, on grounds of Gender. So to me anyway a lot of the reticence to speak up or do anything about this subject is because there is always a possibility that one could be sued for discrimination. It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

Whoops turns out I had already answered :P double post removed

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

They shouldn’t be in women’s spaces regardless of threat or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

And there are exemptions in the Equal Status Acts which permit certain circumstances where discrimination might otherwise be considered unlawful -

https://www.ihrec.ie/guides-and-tools/human-rights-and-equality-in-the-provision-of-good-and-services/what-does-the-law-say/exceptions/

I can see why from your perspective it seems there is a reticence to speak up or do anything about this subject based upon the idea that that one could be sued for discrimination, but that kinda overlooks the reality that the vast majority of people simply aren’t affected by the issues you’re raising, so they aren’t really all that bothered or concerned.

Heh looks like I was wrong - it was entirely done in bad faith. And now a slippery slope argument is added too!

Which is also going to be totally unlike the one about how gay marriage is going to destroy society I am sure.

Good grief Trans people get a rough deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

That's not how I read the OP.

The way I read the OP is more like "One of the things we were told could never happen as a result of gender ideology being formalised in law has happened. I maintain that men - or males if you prefer - ought not to be in women's spaces."

That's certainly what I, and apparently many other people, took from it.

It's what happens when you suppress discussion about a topic.

And lest we forget, there is another pre-hormones, pre-surgery, trans-identifying male who's been convicted of multiple sex crimes housed in Limerick women's prison. It's not an isolated incident.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Thank you for at least being upfront about thinking trans people are either mentally ill or pretending. I still think it is a very unpleasant opinion to have though.

If I had a penny for every time I saw someone complain about a discussion being supressed, IN A DISCUSSION ABOUT THE SUBJECT THEY ARE COMPLAINING IS BEING SUPRESSED... why I'd have a lot of pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gays were fine with being a part of the LGBTQI+ whatever-you're-having-yourself movement when it suited them. Bit rich for gays to start trying to launch their lifeboats now that the TQ etc. wing of the coaltion is sinking the ship.

You obviously don't follow this issue very closely. That's alright - you're not obliged to. But you ought to know that you look very silly insisting that someone who does follow it very closely is less informed than you about the likelihood of a given issue being taken up by the mainstream press.

To give an example: the other pre-hormones, pre-surgery, trans-identifying male who's been convicted of multiple sex crimes housed in Limerick women's prison wasn't reported on by any mainstream outlet, despite the fact that we can now see that it's an issue that engenders a lot of strong feeling among the citizenry of this democratic nation.

To give another: Ireland's NGOs and activists were roundly praised in the "Dentons document" specifically for leading the way on keeping gender identity reforms, legislation and other issues out of the press and making sure it passed "under the radar".

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

There is nothing "unpleasant" about not believing in strange, fringe ideas about inner gendered souls or whatever people are referring to with "gender identity".

You are simply the new priest class, wielding a new form of misogyny. And you will brook no heathens.

New, "progressive" Ireland. Much like the old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

People literally can't speak honestly about the topic without the risk of being warned or banned, so while it's being discussed, the discussion is only allowed on strict terms where people have to lie simply to stay in the game.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

It is certainly eye-opening to see just how powerful to reaction against this is. It is way more visceral than I anticipated. I feel for trans people if this is part of their every day experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That's fair enough but the below suggested you thought a lot of us objecting were convinced that all transwomen were only transitioning to rape women when no one actually claimed that. You first supported that claim with a post linking transgenderism to mental illness, again separate to rape.

Has anyone actually claimed that all transwomen are rapists?

• Advertisement

Yes, so you keep saying, as you studiously avoid taking on any valid points made.

Advertisement