Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think that’s easier to say if there’s a common symptom between them but there isn’t. Out of the 9 we’ve conceded in 2 years, I reckon 3 were weak goalkeeping, 3 were worldies that you can’t really account for, leaving 3 that we probably should have done better with defensively. Hardly systemic is it?

And if you disagree, how would you fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We are crying out for a number 8 and maybe even a more physical number 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Having a lad like Kelleher in goal doesn't help. He doesn't actually keep goal that awful well, in that he doesn't actually make that many saves. He's a fine player, but always looks like a footballer playing in goal rather than a goalkeeper in the traditional sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Certainly countries can have good birth years or golden generations but the idea that luck is what differentiates whether a country has good players or not is simply not true. Ireland has had for a while now the worst and least talented squad since the early 1970's. That is a direct result of the FAI for decades abdicating its responsibility to put in place the proper pathways and structures to develop our best young players and just simply assuming that would get done when they shipped off at 16 to some English club. Once the big money there stemmed that flow we got exposed and our talent pool quickly began to shrink. The fact that we have some promising players coming through now is a direct result of us finally putting in place some of the proper pathways and structures with the beginnings of an academy system at LOI level and the national under age leagues. We still have a long ways to go but having good quality coaching and the proper pathways for players is what will on a consistent basis produce talent. Sure there will still be particularly gifted years and golden generations but it does not change the facts you must have the proper pathways, structures and coaching for your top young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

id disagree slightly. I dont think modern keepers are use to long range shots. It simply doesnt happen as often anymore. I dont have the stats on it but from watching games, long range shot are on the decline in general. I would agree with McFly, 3 screamers, 3 could have done better in closing down and 3 maybe on the keepers. I'm still playing football and generally if someone is having a pop from 30/35 yards your normally happy enough giving the chance of the ball actually going in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Agreed in the sense more positives then negatives for me. Smallbone was very good I thought and Ferguson had a good full debut and the goal will have done his confidence levels no harm. Johnston when he came on was very good. As I have said before with him his issue is not talent it is staying fit. If he can stay fit we have a very good player there who gives us creativity and innovation in attack that we have very little of otherwise in the squad.

Don’t know it’s been said but the cumulative xG for the 9 shots from outside the box is 0.42.

Whatever about the mistakes beforehand, it is completely mental that 9 goals came from those shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Well off the top of my head, Spertsyan scored for Armenia H&A from distance and Mahmudov(Azerbaijan) scored at the Aviva from distance. Both are known for their long range finishing, so surely you have instructions for individual players like that? I.e. "don't give this lad space anywhere near the edge of the box". Regardless of whether your overall approach is to allow the low percentage shots and hope the keeper deals with them?

@McFly85 as above

Tony O'D tried to ask Kenny about the number of goals we're conceding from distance but as usual fuddled his question and Kenny took it up wrong and answered a different question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I remember when Tony O'D was hailed as brilliant with his "questions" to MON.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Med101007

Anyone hear anything on a potential ticket drop?? I'm desperate for tickets to Mondays game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would assume it is sold out No?

Might be a few premium tickets left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, how are people feeling?

All the years of rancour and debate, all comes down to this.

Hoping for a massive performance and a result. Don’t get beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can't wait to watch France vs Netherlands and get myself even more nervous for Monday night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Med101007

Yeah there was a good few premium level seats left as part of the bundle package with the Latvia game. There were 175 each. I'm hoping they release these now as single tickets. They will probably be still well over 100 euro each and they should sell out quickly, so I don't see any reason why the FAI wont release them. If they don't then there will be a good few empty seats in the premium section which they definitely don't want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

Is there any "ideal" result for Ireland tonight? I mean, do we accept that France are a step above the rest and hope they dent the Dutch, or do we have the two teams on a par and hope for a draw? Both sides lost to the World Champions on penalties only.

Just looked at current FIFA rankings, 3rd and 6th! We are 48th to Greece's 51st!

These are fixtures for this round

25th March 2023 Gibraltar vs Greece France vs Netherlands

28th March 2023 Netherlands vs Gibraltar Ireland vs France

Hugely excited, France are missing some defenders and we have pace on the break if Obafemi starts(which he will, presumably).

Big ask to keep France and Mbappe quiet though. A score draw would be a phenomenal result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Shades of 2002. That McAteer goal. What we'd do for something like that. 😄

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

I was at a wedding that day. Only about 10 people were in the photographs outside the church!

The rest of us legged it to the hotel to watch the match. At about 2 in the morning the best man thanked the 3 people who had made the day such a huge success, the bride, the groom and Jason McAteer !!!

• Advertisement

If Mbappe decides to put on a performance we are utterly fùcked regardless of any selection/tactics.

Mbappe can bury any team when hes on form, same as Haaland.

Griezmann would be the one I'm more worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

We need a sub par performance from France and our best performance to date under SK to get any sort of result imo.

The gulf between the two teams is enormous. I'll be happy if we can keep it respectable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Id be worried about both personally. 80 odd goals between them at international level. Giroud brings another 50 odd goals to the table.

I retain the ability to be omniworried

Oh Mbappe is a serious threat, and said myself France could put 11 men behind the ball and the pace of Mbappe on the counter alone could see them win. Give Griezmann the space in midfield we've given some teams though and they'll eat us alive.

Probably why I'd look to start Smallbone, along with the midfield trio of Cullen, Molumby, and Knight. Might look pragmatic but in certain games it needs to happen.

Something like:

....................................Bazunu

........................Collins - Egan - O'Shea

Coleman - Molumby - Cullen - Knight - O'Dowda

.....................................Smallbone

.....................................Ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

This is it, A 1/2 goal defeat is the best we can hope for I'd say.

• Advertisement

That type of negativity achieves nothing imo. If that’s where we are after 3 years of SK then there’s probably no point hoping for another 3 years.

This is a tough tie for France. An Irish side with increasing confidence at home in front of a packed evening crowd. We need to nick a result. That’s the mission.

Nobody should be beaten before kickoff.

Ah anyone using this match to try and rate Kenny in any way is really desperate.

Am I in the twilight zone?

For my entire life watching Ireland we’ve had hope in these sorts of games. Is that no longer the case?

And what better test for Kenny’s regime and progress than a competitive match at home against quality opposition?

Getting hammered should not be an expectation, nor should it be remotely acceptable.

This team has it in them to cause an upset. We should believe in that!

It's realism not negativity. Talking $hite achieves even less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Agree. If we can get a result against portugal(should have got two results) we are capable of a result against france as we are further into our transition. Its a game of football at home, we should think we are capable of a result against anyone esp at home otherwise whats the point in playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,202 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If your entire life is anything like mine then this is the rebuilding from the worst Irish team of my life.

This ain't the good old days and we can't just wish it so.

I do think we will give it a go and get a heroic victory but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I'd say realism. I really hope and want Ireland to win but we're playing one of the best countries in the world including one of the best players in the world. We're not solid defensively like we were which was always the route to a big win in the past. Not sure why you think they're increasing in confidence, the result the other night certainly wouldn't have helped.

I'm much happier watching Ireland now under SK than any time since Euro 2016 but we're just not good enough to beat France at this moment in time unless they play terribly and we play above ourselves (which we haven't done in a while). Still think we can nick 2nd spot but wouldn't be surprised to see France top the group with 100% record

Seamus Coleman a fitness concern for Monday with a thigh strain and it's why he wasn't in the squad for Latvia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,435 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If we can get a result against portugal(should have got two results) we are capable of a result against france as we are further into our transition.

Correct, we are further in linear time into our transition.

But they have not got any better.

That's all I'll say about this qualifying campaign.

We are a bad team, with a manager out of his depth, and a terrible draw.

We are finishing 4th in the group at the very best.

This is even stupider than the idea we can beat France.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Not sure what age you are LuckyLloyd but for me it's like this - we had a team with big stars in the early 90's and again in the early 00's and were capable of beating anyone on our day. We were rubbish then for a few years with dodgy managers. After that, we became a solid team with premier league regulars albeit not big stars and ground out some wins against big teams here and there.

Now we're a team of young players mostly from lower divisions trying to play a brand of attacking football that leaves us liable for a whooping. Things have changed.

That said, maybe there'll be a miracle and we'll get something out of the game. By Monday evening, optimism will have kicked in and I am certain that's the way I'll have some belief, this is something that never changes :)

We got very lucky with MON in the sense a highly qualified semi retired Irish man came along. Probably bought us an extra few years of papered over cracks with a very average side. We got to a Euros with players that I can't see being remembered up there with our 90/00s sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

France 2-0 up already inside 10 mins. We're probably hoping for them to just run away with the group and take max points off the Dutch anyway, right?

Jeez, seven minutes on the clock and France are already 2-0 up. First coming not even two minutes in with Mbappe setting up Griezmann and a poorly defended free kick for the second.

The Dutch needed "less negativity" the power of positivity is what'll scupper Mbappe and France.

• Advertisement

Very nearly 3 -0 there. Ah but sure we're at home so it's a tricky one for the best team in the world..

What they need is a pep talk from the Hulkster to boost their power of positivety.

3-0 , mbappe. Hopefully we can keep it respectable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Pity we are not playing the Dutch on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yes, I think that’s our best bet. Hopefully they can win in Holland too. We can talk all the brave talk we like, but we are massively up against it on Monday. Which isn’t to say we shouldn’t believe in ourselves and go out and hava right go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Unfortunately Greece 2-0 up against Gibraltar too... as expected, but it would've been lovely for Gibraltar to cause a bit of an upset and steal a point or something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

We have them right where we want them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I saw the latest score in the France/Holland game and thought I'd come in here with a typical "uh-oh for Monday" comment, but from observing France for the last while it seems they do enjoy beating a "rival" (in this case Holland) while then phoning it in and potentially being caught out against "minnows" such as ourselves afterwards.

They'll still win in Dublin almost certainly, but I think it'll be closer than 3-0.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement