Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

boo i say...but if it trickles down to Chorus level that would be nice (prob not though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

A quick question for those of you using Garmin products. I tried googling this, but couldn't find a succinct way of wording it.

I use an Edge 520+ for cycling, and I very recently acquired an Epix 2, which I use (and plan on using) for running, kayaking, hiking, and general fitness and recovery info. My question is about the latter.

If I record a cycle with the Edge, will Garmin Connect feed the info from that ride back to the Epix, so that training effect, body battery etc reflect the efforts, or would I need to record the cycle with the watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I believe so, my Fenix/edge upload to connect etc.

I found cycling activities without power "didn't count" for a lot of the general metrics

I've actually stopped recording my commutes officially, leaving it to the IQ to assign a cycling activity. I'd be told my recovery from my morning commute was 24 hours or something 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

It should do. Training effect is calculated on the device itself (i.e,, the 520+ in this case - assuming it supports it), not on Garmin Connect. This all shows up later on my watch. The opaqueness of the integration is a bit annoying though - I'm following a Trainerroad plan at the moment, but because it doesn't reflect those in the training effect it has me detraining and its estimate of my VO2 max down by 20% despite a 10% increase in FTP since Christmas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

All this aside, let me know what you think of the epix 2 after a few weeks use, I am looking at one with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Does anybody know if the Specialized shop are still doing that deal where you can trade in an old helmet for a discount?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I posted this on the YLYL thread but it might make more sense in here...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like a presta valve core.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Schraeder valve core, not Presta

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i watched a GCN+ video last night about them building up a 1969 pro spec bike from scratch - a fitting session with terry dolan himself, custom steel frame build and paint job; and NOS nuovo record from the late 60s/early 70s, etc.

one of the standout comments was that with all that, it was still cheaper than the canyon aeroad si richardson cycles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It was a time limited promo, but they've done it more than once

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I called the shop to check and you are correct. But the guy I spoke to said they would probably be open to doing a discount on the older prevail 2 model which I think they still have in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Is that the Merckx replica (i,e, the one he one stuff on, not something he stuck his name on since)? I haven't seen the video about putting it together, but did look at one where they put it head to head with a Triban (the steel bike was faster, but the Triban still won the nod for being more practical for shifting, braking etc). Notwithstanding, it's one beautiful looking bike

Yep, that's the one. A replica of the faema bike merckx rode.

that's an interesting idea, mounting the derailleur on the axle line so hangers are not needed - but also surely removes the benefit of the hanger as a sacrificial part (despite their claims about strength)?

the format of this show is they do the main episode and have a chat after about some related stuff which wouldn't make the main episode. it's in the post episode chat that bikes are mentioned; about rights of cyclists to access land in the states classed as wilderness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm literally sitting here drinking coffee looking at the derailleur hanger on my MTB. From what I understand it's there to protect the derailleur in case of impact as it's the cheaper part but with the clutch protection of SRAM AXS derailleurs I guess it's no longer needed. Don't know if Di2 stuff does the same thing but having 'give' on the derailleur end obviously helps. Direct mount makes sense especially when the derailleur has a bunch of serviceable parts.

Not related to transmission but I wish Shimano Di2 was more user friendly upgrade wise, the SRAM upgrade kits are ~€400 online, no need to run batteries like Di2. Pricey enough for a derailleur, shifter and a few bits but drivetrain stuff is always pricey when it doesn't come with the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Has anyone used travelhub.ie for their BTW purchase? Going to upgrade and just sold my current bike but I see that they only issue the vouchers on the first of every month, is that correct?

what is it about overshoes always being far smaller than it says on the tin? i picked up a pair of size L shimano overshoes in decathlon, for size 42 to 43 shoes, and they're way too small to sit over my size 42 shoes.

the notion of me being an L in anything is new to me, let alone XL which is probably what i'd need.

• Advertisement

And you have to have it in early so at best you won't see it until next month at the earliest.

I have a feeling you mean May and not April here!?!

I do, sorry, took almost two months before I got mine and they take such a slice of the top there is no negotiation. They also make you do the little bit of work they are meant to take away from your employer.

Youre kidding me. I wouldnt have let my current bike go so quick if I had known that. Thanks for the info CC

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Am currently out on a spin sheltering from the torrential rain which has been causing a lot of roadside flooding despite the Met Eireann app telling me that there was about 80% chance of 0.2mm of rain. I'd rather they improved their forecasting accuracy rather than a bit of software!

you know, i was just about to post in the 'tell us about your cycle today' thread; i have just emptied water out of my shoes. i'd forgotten it can be enjoyable to cycle in a torrential downpour. for twenty minutes i was working on my tan, twenty minutes it was cloudy, twenty minutes of having my proto-tan washed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,708 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I suspect my HR also compounded the slowness of it so it might not be quite that bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

For a few moments, I was wondering why your Heart Rate would have an effect...

• Advertisement

it's a pity a certain well known bike component company doesn't set up a subsidiary to make bicycle bells, under the trade name 'campagnology'

Advertisement