Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x06- 'The Bounty' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 23-03-2023 8:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Picard 3x06- 'The Bounty' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pretty fun episode all in all, and nice to see Geordi, and all the ships, and the genesis device! After two death scenes already, I do kind of wish they'd just let Data go though.

Speaking of Data, interesting choice on what he is now, physically... they build up that he's effectively human now, like Picard's golem - Data's dream come through, just what he always wanted! And then a minute later they have him shoot laser holograms from his eyes... kind of undercuts the message a bit, eh?

Interesting to see that it was Picard's body that was stolen, wonder where that's leading.

There is one weird nonsensical plot contrivance this season that's annoying me a bit though ... this whole thing of "they stole the portal gun to distract from the other stuff they stole". That's just, like, not how it works... you don't come home, find your TV stolen, and say "well, the TV is gone so they must definitely not have taken anything else". Obviously the only thing that taking and using the portal gun could ever do is draw further attention to a robbery from Daystrom. Which of course is exactly what happened. It's such a weird unnecessary illogical thing to throw in there, when they could've easily just cut the whole portal gun theft bit out of the story entirely and instead have had Rafi trailing the purchase of the keycard thing from the word go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was fun. So cool to see all the ships. All the ships looked truly amazing from the Defiant right through to Voyager. Just a Pity there was no Enterprise D there or NX-01 ENTERPRISE also. I think it would have been interesting to see what they both thought of Archers ship and it would have been a great scene to have the refit NX-O1 in. They missed on opportunity there.

Ye they should have just let Data rest. Cool to have all the rest of them back together do.

It was one big family reunion.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eadrom

Lots of fun. Almost a little too 'cute' at times with the references and callbacks but, somehow, they managed to keep it moving and keep it entertaining.

Data 3.0 is a bit gratuitous but actually handled reasonably well. Certainly better than they did with him in season 1.

Moriarty just a brief cameo, good enough.

Seeing the old ships also a bit gratuitous but again, with everything else working well enough, it was fine. I liked it.

Are Jack's hallucinations and ninja-skills explained away now by that syndrome? To be honest I wouldn't be upset if that's the last we see of it but seems a little too neat. Surely something else is going on.

Kirk's body in Daystom -- fascinating. Probably just a tease.

Picard's body stolen -- okay, interesting I suppose. Not sure where that's going.

Still lots of holes could be picked at. Everywhere is just 1 quick warp away from anywhere else. Shapeshifters are very plot-convenient with their skills and abilities. Putting Data in charge of Daystom security is just... well, daft. But it's all entertaining so I'm willing to forgive for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭corkie

This episode marks the first time since Star Trek Nemesis that the main cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation save for Denise Crosby and Wil Wheaton have appeared together.

Is it really Data? Lore seemed to be the stronger personality coming to the surface?

Enjoyable episode.

Brent Spiner as

Altan Inigo Soong

B-4

Lore

Data

The wiki edit changed the above to

Brent Spiner as

Daystrom Android M-5-10

Altan Inigo Soong (holographic recording)

Data (archive footage)

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Urgh, awful day to travel but watched it on my flight. Really fun episode, I'd agree with above that there were moments it almost went too much into the member berries, but to me got it a out right.

There was a part of me though was wondering if the body was Kirks, which apparently they have? Also it's obvious that docking bay 12 or whatever its going to be the D, has to be.

And the Data/Lore/Moriarty stuff we were worried about seems to have been a nice little bluff by the show runners.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Did any one else notice that Jackbasically said his mum isn't brave, loyal or wise? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭pah

HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Great episode. Shed tears in four of the six episodes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm conflicted on this one. It fairly wallowed in the nostalgia, but at the same time I was enthralled by the callbacks too.

I was wrong about the role of Moriarty and Lore, but only that their roles were reversed kinda.

The reveal of what was stolen from Titan seemed a bit of a damp squib. And clearly that's not irumodic syndrome that Jack's experiencing, so there's some other big reveal yet to come.

Worf continues to be good comedy though, a Worf spin-off could work if it followed this vein.

Nice to see who Shaw does bow down to though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Why couldn't we have had 2 seasons of THIS before now!! That was a fantastic episode.

This scene obviously being the standout:

.. And I challenge anyone not to get at least a little misty eyed at whichever "exhibit" was their favourite growing up. Damn onions! 😂 The musical cues were spot on too.

But even that aside, it was a brilliant scene for Seven and Jack (who has really grown on me I have to say).

Loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So did they actually kidnap Troi or is it just a changeling?

And with all the infiltration, they just brought Geordi and his daughter on board with no kind of test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That episode gave me a warm fuzzy feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Oh dear God I loved that ship p0rn!!!!!

Yes that episode was filled with nostalgia member berries. But it worked well!!!

Quote of the week: Captain Shaw: "Its been a weird week"

Loved the Moriarty bit. It made much more sense. I have to say, so far the original trailers have definitely been throwing us, the Moriarty cameo worked very well.

Great to see lot of the old gang back together. How doe LaForge Commadore rank work in relation to the rest?

Pilot LaForge is also beginning to grow on me. The scene with Jack and Seven was brilliant.

Enjoyed Daystrom. Genesis device and Kirks body??? Also, angry Tribble was interesting.

Also thinking they need Jack Crusher to fix something with Picards Corpse.... feel the two are connected.

Post edited by TheValeyard on

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

And Shaw fanboying over LaForge was great fun and made a lot of sense for the character. They've really managed to flesh his personality out really well in a few episodes.

Or the other way around - to take something from Picard's corpse and put it into genetic-match Jack. Like Borg nanoprobes or something, to make a hybrid Jack/Locutus-borg for whatever reason. The little recap of borg stuff earlier on in the season worked well by itself, but may have also been part of the larger storytelling, getting the less clued-in audience to understand the whole Locutus thing as a setup for whatever they have planned for Jack.

Damn straight.

I have really missed the old crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The episode itself was great. All the various interactions with the new and old cast were brilliant. 7 seeing Voyager and Geordie seeing Data was amazing (but ya let Data fuking die)

Beyond that though the plot of this episode is terrible. The security on Daystrom is stupid, Vadic is still terrible and I really don't have a good feeling about Picard being a more powerful weapon than a Wormhole gun (it's probably a Locutus thing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Awe crap, both Deanna and Will. Loved the way he was all screw-you up to that point.

Like the museum, how it looked like Stardock, all the ships around it. I wonder what D7 that was supposed to be. Liked all the ships to be fair.

Liked the La Forges.

Like Jack and Sid getting on and the sister being all Let's Reset our Phasers

There were some scenes in the briefing room with Picard and I swear, the angle and the darkness, he reminded me of Shinzon.. and that I thought was cool.

I'm pretty sure there was a small bit of Lal in the Data moments. I didn't realise I'd want more Lal so much but that episode was such a big feels one, that I kinda really do want more Lal now.

Jack has been a great addition to the show. They've done him really well. I've got some doubt about his survivability then from building him up so much.

Gotta give Jack credit. He had both Sydney and 7 smilin in the one episode.

He is a good character but I'm still not a fan of his origin story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I wasn't sure if he wasn't trying it on with Seven. I was like.. damnnnn boiii 😁

"it would have been a great scene to have the refit NX-O1 in. They missed on opportunity there"

There is an NX refit behind the D-7 which people have also noted has the same paint job as Kronos-1

Cracking on to 7 in a conversation about the Constitution refit.

Jack was all of us in that moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Sparko

Total fan service but I couldn't give a damn, loved every second!

Now if they could just swing past DS9 to go through the wormhole!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

TrekCulture vid runs through the ships. That Klingon cruiser is actually the K'tinga class "Kronos One" from TUC they reckon.

Also:

• Original Constellation class USS Stargazer
    • USS Voyager
    • USS Enterprise-A
    • USS Defiant
    • HMS Bounty BoP from TVH
    • Original Romulan BoP
    • Sabre class
    • Akira class
    • USS New Jersey original Constitution class
    • There's also an NX-refit that apparently was Archer's Enterprise with the planned S5 upgrades
    • Nebula class
    • Excelsior (he speculates it's the original but the S3 end-credits animations would confirm it)
    • Miranda Class

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The New Jersey NCC-1975 is a reference to Terry Matalas, born in NJ in 1975, in addition to being an excuse for a ToS callback.

The one that really got me was the Defiant. With all the constant Enterprise talk I forgot that was an option for being there.

Also it's mad that this was the first time since TUC that we saw a live action refit Constitution. They reused every other model in TNG and supposed to have been planning on making the Stargazer Constitution but

"The production team eventually decided they wanted to keep that ship special and not make it generic. The name Constellation class for the Stargazer was chosen because it could be easily re-dubbed over Geordi saying "Constitution class"."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭pah

Nevermind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Yeah ... lots of the member berries there ... maybe a little too much-ish ... I did enjoy, but will await a re-watch to consider how much it advanced the story. My gut says not much.

Definitely agree that they need Jack for something related to Picard's original chassis.

My first thought on seeing Deanna was that she has to be a changeling. How could Vadic have known they were going to capture him at Daystrom ... that he was going to be the one to fight the rear-guard action. It could just as easily have been Worf (I doubt anybody would give a crap about Raffi).

Could somebody more musical than me check the musical notes shown in the end credits? Are they "Pop goes weasel"?

• Advertisement

Yes, the musical notes in the credits are Pop Goes the Weasel.

Advertisement