Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for tractor re-paint

Options
  • 23-03-2023 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hello,

The 135 will be 50 years old this year, thinking of giving her a bit of TLC. Among other things, wanted to paint the chassis and wheels. It not in bad condition considering the age, but definitely needs a lick of paint. I've never done this before, so looking for a bit of advice.

I've already taken off the cab, fenders, bonnet etc, given it all a good clean and wire-wheeled off the worst of the rust. Am planning the next step, when the weather gets a bit warmer, is to do the rust one more time (but not quite aiming for bare metal), then treat with Owatrol. After that, go straight to MF gray Tractol paint, thinned with Tractol thinners, likely sprayed on (although I don't currently have a sprayer). Thinking two to three coats of Tractol top coat (no primer).

So does this all sound sensible or can anyone offer a better plan? Ideas on spray gun? I'm not going for showroom classic condition, but obviously want as good as I can get with (very) limited time and resources. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

I did a job similar to you in the last couple of years and what you have planned sounds good. A good metal primer is a must for sure, and a decent sized compressor so it doesn't have to keep filling the air all the time, 50l or so. I went through a couple of spray guns but actually found that the one that sucks up the paint worked much better rather than a gravity fed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

Throw a bit of hardener along with thinners into the MF grey , castle paints or a there's a lad in cavan on done deal sells good paint reasonable. Sealey 1litre suction gun e50 ish. Any smaller you'll spend more time refilling than spraying!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Great, thanks for the tips!

@ednainoz I was actually thinking I could get away without primer after using Owatrol but maybe that’s shortsighted of me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Probably would be fine, I don't have any experience using it but always found it easier to paint on a primed surface.

Advertisement