Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looks like Toyota are pushing the Lemon….. 1st add I’ve seen for it on Facebook…..

and only €2k more expensive than a Model Y (though I suspect delivery & related charges would push the bz4x above the €50k mark… (actually the updated reduced grant will put it over €50k)

If only I wasn’t barred from commenting on Toyota Ireland posts…..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

You should drop into the dealership and ask them in person why does this not self charge. Bonus points for Facebook live or insta live stream or whatever the kidz use now a days for trolling.

Ask them why it's better than a model y etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

I would of thought an scrappage scheme would be useful also to incentivise folk to make the change. There is no way the Govt is going to get close to the 2030 targets witht these measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Those targeta are not achievable and tbh were never considered to be achievable. Just another set of frilly knickers from our masters. But hey they underpinned some great soundbites for a number of years and I'm sure yielded a few warm pats on the head from those international dignatories that really matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Was talking to my wife today about replacing our ID3 family car at the end of the PCP contract later this year (love how it drives but I've grown to absolutely despise the infotainment and controls)

She doesn't read about cars or EVs vs ICE or follow the industry in any way at all, nor does she particularly care, but her main requirement was to get an EV again because she'd hate to go back to having to worry about range in a petrol car and having to queue up at petrol stations. I found it amusing how that was the polar opposite to what the perceived wisdom is for a lot of people. We charge at home overnight so to her our car effectively has infinite range for all the driving she ever does.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

We’re not too far away from that in our house too 😂

My other half always thought our ICE cars had infinite range as she never once had to fuel it

My wife would consistently wait until the tank was practically empty before refuelling because she didn't want to pump her own petrol

She'd also often try bribing me with coffee to fill the car for her (spoiler alert, it worked 😂)

She also once had to queue for half and hour in the petrol station because the card machine wasn't working properly and took several minutes for each transaction to go through. So it's not like queues are a unique EV problem

Now that she's got an EV, she doesn't have to deal with any of that cræp 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of 1million Irish EVs the target is impossible even if 100% of new cars sold were EVs.

We really need to get new sales shifted towards EVs. Making public charging 100% reliable would help but there are no real signs of things getting any better.

They need a clear plan and to discourage sales of diesel and petrol cars. Nothing I see makes me believe there is any real strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Bringing the price of electricity down to affordable levels would be the biggest decider for me. The way bills are for everyone the last thing they need is something gobbling up juice like there's no tomorrow.

I put 11kWh into the car today for the cost of exactly nothing (from solar PV) 😁

While the cost difference had narrowed a bit, particularly between the base cost of public charging and petrol, the savings are still there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

put 11kWh into the car today for the cost of exactly nothing (from solar PV) 😁

Was looking great today, house battery full at about 3pm, water max temp so I plugged in car hoping to get about 7-10kWh into car over next 3 hours. A big dirty rain shower hung over house for rest of day, managed to get zilch....😁

Oh yeah we got that same shower around 4pm, might as well have been night time

Still no house battery here so all the excess goes to the Zappi

I've been doing well this week, haven't charged off night rate since last weekend. Currently I've got the Zappi set to boost at night on Saturday and Sunday only

Haven't really been doing more than local driving but I've not gone below 65% and topped up to 80% where I've set the charge limit on two days so far

Yea yea yea... Not worth a **** to us ordinary Joe's that don't have solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Do you ever stop whinging? It's not their fault me and you don't have solar.

I like your implication that myself and other EV drivers are somehow not ordinary Joes, I'd love to know how you define that

Ah you know the best way to deal with your problems is to find someone else to blame 😏

I can understand the frustration of some people who are not in a position to take the maximum financial advantage of driving EVs. Not everyone can afford to but a new car, whether it be an ICE of EV, and claim the nice little up to €10k taxpayer bonus as well as claiming a further €2,400 from the taxpayer for investing in cheap electricity. As we all know those who have the financial capacity to purchase an EV and predominantly charge it at home via solar are doing very nicely from driving ECs, thanks very much. Which is why I think it can be insensitive to the position of others, who are not in such a comfortable position, to be salivating at the possibility of further fuel price increases to further increase the disadvantage of those not in such a fortuitous position.

Because they're on here saying how cheap EV driving is when it clearly isn't anymore, especially for people who don't have solar. All the cheap electricity deals are gone, providers are flat refusing to get people D/N meters, probably no point now anyway as those deals have evaporated too. A bit more realism is all I'm asking for so people can actually make a properly informed decision before committing to an EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Many here changed suppliers to Energia last Sept with 9 hour night rate of around €0.08 incl vat, fixed for 1 year. Prices were increasing with other suppliers, we broke our contract with Bord Gais and like many others here were not charged a €50 fee for opting out early.

Moving other high energy items to night rate, plus a modest solar array means that our day usage is small. We have two EVs, each on about 18K/year and our last three bills (With the generous Government €200 discount per bill) have been around about zero.

Electricity deals will become available again hopefully soon.

Isn't it? I'd like to know how you arrived at that conclusion

Some quick math shows the cheapest night rate from Flogas is less than half the running costs of the equivalent ICE

As for providers refusing to switch people over to D/N meters, I'd suggest notifying the CRU of these cases so they can be dealt with

BG flat refused to submit my request, cru never replied to my email, energia were vague as to whether they'd submit my request if I moved to them as a 24hr customer, one thing they were very certain of was that, a) I wouldn't be getting a fixed price deal and b) I wouldn't be getting the new customer pricing IF I got a D/N meter installed. These are the things prospective EV purchasers need to know before buying.

I'll be frank, that sounds like your bad experience, not exactly something systematically wrong with EVs

There's very few fixed rates available these days, that's just the way the market it. IIRC there's no such thing as fixed price petrol

My experience with BG is they're a bunch of idiots and are incapable of answering the most basic of questions

In general Energia will relent on giving new customer deals if you push them

It's annoying I'll agree, but try negotiating for a discount at the petrol station and see how that goes 😉

The request to move to a D/N meter goes to ESBN, you can always contact them directly to see if they'll change you over

I do sympathise with your plight, I went through the same nonsense 5 years ago, it's nothing new

But I disagree with the assertion that the money savings with EVs are marginal or nonexistent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Having an EV is saving me around €110 a month on M50 and port tunnel tolls alone.

It absolutely all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I thought the maximum annual toll saving is capped at €500?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

You’re right it should be capped at €500 per year in savings @MojoMaker how long do you have an EV, maybe you haven’t hit €500 in savings yet?

I never said the savings were marginal or non existent. My point is that people need to know that the savings aren't a big as they used to be with electricity companies blatantly shafting the consumer with thinly disguised cartel shaping and fuel prices falling at the pumps. Second call I made was to esbn who in fairness were very nice to deal with, unfortunately they don't do meter changes themselves directly it needs to be requested through your provider to keep billing accurate etc, and yes she confirmed that I qualified for a free meter swop.

I've never used the tunnel and would use the M50 toll maybe once a year if even that, just doesn't apply to my driving. As you say it could be a deal maker for many drivers.

• Advertisement

Interesting that because when I was speaking to ESBN they said it would definitely be charged to swap the meter, but either the electricity supplier can choose to pass on the cost or take it themselves

In the end "swapping the meter" involved the engineer writing some instructions on it with a Sharpie on how to take night readings, everything else was a paper exercise

I'm always astounded that the electricity grid here works as well as it does considering the total lack of communication between the various parties

Advertisement