Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Any word on the league final time or date

I had heard mayo were looking for it on Saturday and the talk was possibly of 1 and 4 finals being on Saturday if sligo qualify as they are out the following Saturday v London

So 2 and 4 would possibly be on the Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

I'd say it will be Monday before there is any announcement on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

You'd hope they will make that announcement as soon as possible. Cavan qualified for the final last week and people will have made plans for travelling to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

This would be a blow to Armagh if he ends up missing the start of the USFC

Blow for Armagh as Rian O'Neill to miss Ulster opener Football 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Today FM News reckoned he will be out for up to 8 weeks.

• Advertisement

That's a shame for Armagh he is big player for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭rrs

He is a very good player but do they have other good forwards, Andrew Murnin, Rory Grugan, Conor Turbitt , Stefan Campbell. Armagh have been very slow releasing the ball into the forwards during the League. McGeeney and co getting flak for that.

With a full round of minor and senior games set for today, it’ll be interesting to see how many pitches are playable. I know only 7/8 U15 games went ahead last weekend out of what was meant to be a full set of fixtures so more than twice that.

Even pitches where a minor game goes ahead, are going to cut up badly for the senior game later.

No Gerry Smith in the starting team so whoever thought he was struggling coming off last week, it looks like they were right. No Dara either or McLoughlin so those would be 3 big players to be missing for League final. Glad to see McKenna get another chance - if he does start.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

How far is Connor brady away? And I wonder will dara be fit for final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

No idea about Brady, he’s not been mentioned since the Westmeath game and Mickey said 6 weeks which is about now I suppose. Should get an idea from who is involved in pre-match drills & that might indicate how far lads are off. Great to see Oisin Brady back, he was flying until his injury.

Would hope Conor Smith gets time off the bench as well today.

forecast looks okay for today, let’s hope the rain keeps off & we get a performance to send us up to Croker in good spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Looks like it’s Fermanagh again in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

That was an atrocious performance devoid of any ideas or tactics,

The only reason it was close was due to 2 very fortunate goals.

Fermanagh were 7/8 points better than us,Ultan Keln looked like David Clifford out there. I assume the squad has just ended a very heavy training block,at least I hope so, because 5 or 6 players starting weren't fit to walk after about 10 minutes of the second half.

Watching Fermanagh waltz into Breffini and take us apart ,stings...

I wouldn't be hopeful for next week after seeing that.

I know that was a dead rubber for us, but that’s two weeks in a row where we’ve been awful flat. Zero intensity and our defensive shape was appalling. There were spells when Fermanagh always seemed to have an extra man. Apart from two fortuitous goals, I think we only scored 2 points from play.

This was a local derby and with those lucky goals we should have put the game to bed. There was a spell when we kicked 4 or 5 wides and then Fermanagh scored everything they took on.

if we show up like that next weekend it’s not going to fun and will do zero for confidence going into Championship

I was praying Offaly would win. That was a horrible watch today.

Why risk lads like Niall Carolan? He looked upset coming off. I’d say he knows he won’t be available for the final.

Ultan Kelm waltzed past Stephen Smith at one stage like he wasn’t there. That’s a lad on the panel years.

in the last two games we’ve had no shape at all defensively. Players having time and space to take shots on.

As Hammar said, you would have to assume it’s heavy training taking its toll.

Was McVeety togged out today, will he be back for next week?

He was wandering around during the warm up wearing a protective boots so I'd imagine that's a long term injury.

That's a great point about Carolan, his legs weren't there today you could see it, he was struggling with Keln whom is lightening quick, he shouldn't be put in that position. There's a panel of 36-40 players, Holla,Faulkner,and Killian Clarke and Tiernan Madden like Carolan have played nearly every Mc Kenna cup and national League, if we weren't taking this game seriously, why were they risked, it was a perfect opportunity to use the extended panel.

I understand James Smith and Gearoid needed game time, but the above lads, didn't,Mc Veety was overloaded on his return, after 2 years out, and now I believe he's in a walking boot.

It shouldn't be doom and gloom after getting promoted,but today wasn't good. Hope we can turn it around and beat Fermanagh next Saturday or Sunday??

• Advertisement

Nobody was happy. Mickey was frustrated on the line. Gearoid and Holla and a few more walked off at the final whistle and didn't wait for Mickey's team talk.

We've lost that spark and cohesion we had earlier in the league.

I personally couldn't care less what happens today, or next weekend. If the reduced performance levels now can increase our chances against Armagh that's the main thing.

3 defeats going into the championship would not be good.. Armagh have lost the couple also but playing better standard team and they were close gamesm

But there’s three weeks between the league final and the championship game, surely Cavan can give next weekend a right good rattle and still have lots of time to get ready for the Championship, it’s Fermanagh we’re playing not Kerry.

The hard work for the championship is being done now. They won't want to lose next weekend but nothing will be risked that might cost us against Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Or Antrim

I’ve seen a tweet stating it appears Mayo’s request will be turned down and that we are on Saturday evening with Wicklow & Sligo.

I was late in so sitting around the 20 metre line on the Cavan goal in the second half. Carolan tracked Kelm down the wing and you could see he wasn’t running right. He signalled to the bench then to get him off when he pulled up. It took another minute or two to get him off when play stopped but the poor lad looked very upset and annoyed.

I thought Killian Clarke didn’t look to be running right either, at times his stride looked off.

As you said, and I said earlier in the week, I can’t understand flogging these lads. Earlier in the season you had Gerry Smith, McVeety & Faulkner playing 3 McKenna Cup games in a week.

I didn’t understand some of the subs today either. Why not just leave McKenna on? Give him a full game. Stephen Smith didn’t suit a dogfight and that is what you had there today.

Can anyone tell me the 26 from today? I couldn’t get a programme after being late. The traffic was absolutely mental around the town and I was coming into Cavan at 1.30 which is normally loads of time. The crowd didn’t seem any bigger than other games.

Martin Reilly was wearing 14 when he came on.

I can only assume McKenna got hooked as he was booked for pushing the keeper over the line. Which is was never a booking in a million years.

Ultan Kelm is a quality player. He was supposed to move to the AFl 2 years ago but a hip injury put that off.

A few good young players on the Fermanagh team. Horan and Josh Largo Ellis, they were on the St Michel's Hogan Cup winning team a few years ago.

• Advertisement

I know my eyesight isn't what it used to be, but he 100% was running last week in Belfast before the game and no protective boot. Wonder what happened? I know he picked a knock up late against Longford (he seemed to turn his ankle) but was back for the Offaly and Down games. Was there something missed? He's absolutely vital for us if we have aspirations to win Ulster this year so hopefully we will see him back soon.

Advertisement