Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You haven't explained anywhere what O'Gorman is doing to knowingly going against the wishes of the people and how he personally is distressing communities far and wide across Ireland. Even if you could do that, and you can't, there is still a leap from there to why he deserves personal abuse.

Remember this Government was elected by a majority of the people and has a democratic mandate to carry out its actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It was mentioned twice today on the radio about rumours of a snap elcetion being called in the autumn but I can't see it happing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Did anyone hear that interview with the exasperated A&E consultant on Drivetime? It was tough to listen to it and he said he is sick of coming on the radio to beg for more bed capacity year after year, month after month. He sounded angry with the conditions staff have to work in.

Latest on Trolleys in case people think the problem has vanished.

Hospital overcrowding 'out of control once again' as 651 wait on trolleys (breakingnews.ie)

The level of overcrowding in Irish hospitals is "out of control once again", the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation (INMO) has said, as 651 patients were waiting for a hospital bed on Wednesday morning.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭eire4

To be fair though the law is way behind where society is with regard to social media. They should be regulated and held to the same legal standards that any TV station, radio station, magazine, newspaper etc would be IMHO. Instead social media is legally able to get away with spreading hate and encouraging violence with impunity as things stand currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I find it hard to believe that 84% of people would not be in favour of regulating Social Media to prevent online abuse. Do you have a link to that poll please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Why don’t you just do the decent thing and resign Taoiseach -, you complete and utter imbecile - to all of the world, this fcking prat doesn’t represent me on the world stage

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

FF down 4 in latest Sunday Times poll, journalist attributes it to eviction ban and general housing situation.

SDs up 2 but little other movement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Joe O’Brien and the Greens introducing their plan to stop any criticism of their disastrous overreach and totally botched implementation of our migrant crisis response.

It’s been a total bloody circus the whole thing. They fecked it up so badly, a total embarrassment. Has totally turned me off the greens.

Much easier to muddy the waters of any discussion so that you can label any of your legitimate detractors as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,092 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Green Party suspends Neasa Hourigan for 15 months - she should leave go Independent

They're giving her just enough time to crawl back if the election happens in autumn 2024 as anticipated.

Could she join SF? Mary Lou will surely need a running mate next time, and quitting the Greens over this issue would surely give her enough left cred...

• Advertisement

Her only opportunity to be re-elected is as Mary-Lou's running mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭howiya

I agree. I don't see her getting back in as a green or independent candidate. I also wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't run again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The coalition of chaos look very uncaring with the timing. Purely political decision with timing to minimise vote damage.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Next poll will be very interesting. All the fallout from the last couple of days surely has implications for the 3 parties in the coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/03/23/holly-cairns-says-our-generation-is-worse-off-than-parents-but-what-about-the-huge-benefits-from-modernity/

IT rolling out a young female, who well knows the game, to counter Holly. Naturally not a subscriber but I'm sure Finn made a compelling argument that waving flags and going on identity marches is just as important as housing/health.

Ofc we all know Finn's father is ex-head TV3 & An Post and mother is a very active FG'er. LOL!!

Ofc we all know Finn's father is ex-head TV3 & An Post and mother is a very active FG'er.

I didn't even know Finn was a girl...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Think that it is a RedC poll due on Sunday. Its methodology normally underestimates FF's support due to FF supporters being strongest in older demographics and not particularly liking online polling. It will be interesting to see if there's an increase in the SocDem support. Both Ireland Thinks/Sindo and B&A/Sunday Times showed an increase for the SocDems. The Indo seems to be drifting away from its old Daily Blueshirt image and seems to be giving a lot of favourable coverage to Holly Cairns and the SocDems. Poor Labour is struggling to get a mention these days. That B&A loss for FF (-4%) could have FFGers quite nervous because it could translate into a bad result for FF in the RedC poll. (Wouldn't be surprised to see FF around 13%) The decision on the eviction ban could also affect FFG support.

Regards...jmcc

Can't access the article, don't have a clue who Finn is, somebody must be doing their digging....

As mentioned, lots of people already know this and so zero digging required! This is why the govmt/media hate social media so much because they are no longer able to deliver the truth from on high ;-)

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/03/24/government-plans-discussion-on-future-of-neutrality/

Doncha just know that the govmt is aching to give up our neutrality! They simply can't hide their excitement. Watch the IT manage the timetable from an "open exchange of ideas" towards the inevitable conclusion that we now need a Modern Ireland approach. Ofc the govmt is only acting on its mandate to care for the people - sure can't you already feel the warm blanket of their housing/health/crime care ;-) Actually if you think about it, this attempt as a final act is an entirely fitting legacy for these honourable public servants.

• Advertisement

Latest REdC poll, surprisingly little change TBH, given it was taken at the height of the Eviction Ban furore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not really that surprising. The Government is doing a reasonable job across the board in dire international circumstances. There are major challenges, to be sure, but as regards Housing, restoring full constitutional property rights are giving small landlords and potential investors some certainty about the market in the medium to long term will stop some of the rot.

Government 40%, Sinn Féin 31 it is. So, steady as she goes for an election in 2 years time, by which time the Holly Cairns bounce will have dissipated and Ivana Bacik will be looking for a new job, because she is useless.

Hopefully a new FG/FF coalition will get the numbers to govern without anyone else.

Guess that some FFers will be checking their property portfolios as they contemplate the next GE. FF on 15% would see it struggling to get 20 seats. It looks like the Holly Cairns/SocDem increase has been seen across all three pollsters. Labour is pining for the fjords. The Greens are victims of political climate change at 3%. They'll struggle to hold that many seats. FG will be absolutely chuffed at that 1% increase despite the MoE being +/- 3%. If FF is really on 15% (it is a RedC poll and it always under estimates FF support) then this will impact FG as well because FF transfers may not be available to get FG TDs elected.

Regards...jmcc

Hopefully a new FG/FF coalition will get the numbers to govern without anyone else.

Unlikely, unless their combined total rises to at least 40. On current polling they would at a minimum require the support of the largest of the 'soft left' parties, as of now looking virtually certain to be the Soc Dems....

FF and FG may well experience a Fratricide Effect that will cause them to lose more seats than their support figures would suggest. This is because the transfers that FF or FG candidates need to get elected will stay locked in too long over multiple counts so that they act as deadweights to the strongest FF or FG candidate getting elected. Too many FF and FG candidates may be fighting for the same seats. (This Fratricide Effect already happened in the 2020 GE.)

The electorate has begun to think of FF and FG as a single party and the pattern of transfers in the recent GEs suggest that FF and FG transfers from outside FF and FG voters has also being declining. It may be the equivalent of an FG 2002 scenario playing out on FF and FG. While FG's decline in support in 2002 was not large, it caused damage far out of proprtion to the decline. The only way that FF and FG could offset the problem is to merge before the next GE. The SocDems, from their rhetoric, don't particularly like FF or FG. They certainly don't like Labour.

Regards...jmcc

Speaking personally, I’m all for the SD’s, BUT there was queries as to them merging with Labour - if that happens the SD’s certainly won’t be getting my vote. I was a Labour supporter all my adult life, but after what Gilmore, Burton & Kelly did when in coalition, they have lost my vote forevermore.

The only way that FF and FG could offset the problem is to merge before the next GE. 

A transfer pact would surely help? Varadkar and Donohoe have floated the idea but got slapped down by FF. I wonder could FF's attitude change if they continue flatlining in the mid teens.

Even as things stand, they're in or around the numbers to form another government, depending on what small parties and independents want to do. An extra four or five seats could make all the difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

"doing a reasonable job across the board" is a funny way of describing presiding over the worst health and housing crises in our nation's history. Both entirely of FG's making given their 12 straight years in power.

"Dire international circumstances" doesn't provide any cover for either of these, either.

FF&FG polling at 36% between them would be their lowest electoral result ever, continuing their steady decline downwards every election from 85% combined support in the 1980s. If they keep losing 5% roughly per election cycle as their voters die off the two parties will be condemned to a very small minority within a decade or so.

Bacik being interviewed on ‘The Week in Politics’. I don’t think She has answered one question She has been asked by Áine Lawlor - so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah but those crises only affect a minority. Everyone who wants a job has one, the standard of living is good, most people can absorb inflation and/or make some choices to mitigate it.

It would be a mistake to ignore a large majority who look at what they have and look at other Countries and regions and think, we really are much better off than all of those places. Our politics is centrist, our public discourse still reasonable, our media not stolen by right wing agenda driven corporations, our kids are getting very good education and can see the World and return home to excellent prospects whenever they like.

That all translates into safe voting tendencies. If, as you claim, the Government parties will keep draining 5% per cycle, I'd ask you to where? How do you explain that middle class PAYE earners and small business owners would ever vote for left wing parties and jeopardise what they've worked for and opportunities for their kids?

Advertisement