Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie Kardashian is in a women's prison. Taoiseach's response to questions on this are here..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

Come see the violence inherent in the system huh? Complete with a priest-class no less!

lol good lord you do not have to scratch the surface very hard for the weirdness to come out here I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

So there are 85000 intersex people living in Ireland? That requires either a yes or no reply.

Yes there must be 85000 for those figures to be correct.

Or no, that is clearly preposterous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

we can now see that it's an issue that engenders a lot of strong feeling among the citizenry of this democratic nation.

You’re joking, surely? The general public doesn’t give a tinkers f… doesn’t care about any kind of inmates or where they’re housed, which is why it isn’t generally reported on in the mainstream media apart from an odd story every so often, and the whole trans thing is even less reported or relevant as far as online media goes, save for the occasional human interest piece like this one -

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna6490

Or the odd tidbit article about some oddball.

That Denton’s thing is a load of misinformed nonsense, claiming that gender identity was a more difficult issue to win public support for. Public support was never sought in the first place as it was introduced by legislation, after years of the State’s opposition to extending legal recognition of their preferred gender identity to people who are transgender. The Legislature had been on notice since 2002 -

In the High Court in July 2002, Mr Justice McKechnie refused to grant orders directing the Registrar of Births to describe Dr Foy as female on her birth certificate.

He ruled, on the basis of his findings from medical and scientific evidence, that Dr Foy had been born male.

However, he appealed to the legislature to keep the situation of transgendered persons under constant review and to consider meeting their needs through legislation.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/dentist-in-new-court-battle-to-be-called-a-woman-26266179.html

It’s not that it was kept out of the media or snuck in on the back of the marriage equality referendum, there was just nothing to report on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The estimated frequency of genital ambiguity is reported to be in the range of 1:2000-1:4500 [1]. 

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5866176/

1-in-2000 means 2,500 people.

The 85,000 figure is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Thanks for the response.

I think you might have missed a post of mine earlier, where I posed you a question. Maybe I can draw your attention to it again?

To be clear, my position is that transwomen are male and their access to female spaces should be heavily curtailed in line with the rest of the male population. Most transwomen are men who identify as women and that's as far as it goes. Perhaps they dress in what they think of as "women's clothing", but more often than not there are no hormones taken and (much) more often than not there are no surgeries performed. So if you remove whatever collection of pink-and-flowy the person believes means they are presenting as a woman, you are left with a man with a penis. I do not believe that women should be obliged to accept men into their toilets, changing rooms, domestic violence services, prisons, and so on. It is not my opinion that a fully intact, forty-year-old male should be able to get naked beside a 12-year-old girl in a changing room. It is not my opinion that a severely disabled women who requires daily intimate care, including help with incontinence and periods, should be unable to object to a male care worker performing those actions because that male care worker wears a wig and says he has a feeling in his head. It is not my opinion that it is acceptable for lesbian women to be called "sexual racists" (as they were by Nancy Kelley, Stonewall's CEO) for refusing to consider males as sexual partners. Perhaps you think those are extreme examples, as well? Or you're in favour of them?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement

Around 900 availed of the cert between 2015 and 2022. Not even enough to fill Vicar St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

So…there are 2,5000 intersex people here? Honestly. I don’t think so. Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Genital ambiguity does not cover all intersex people. You could appear fully male but have a set of ovaries for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes, but it is one of the most pressing issues of our times.

#culturewars

#maga

Oh that was a serious question? I thought you just wanted to pretend like my position had anything to do with that, so I didn't really pay it much attention. No it has never occurred to me to think of Lesbians as sexual racists, and I would consider anyone who says that to be a very strange person indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Man what a weirdly... *tribal* debate this is. I never realized that there were so many people who feel genuinely personally threatened and seem to feel that they have to defend themselves and society against people with different opinions on this subject. People that they seem to experience as somehow organized, or at least homogenous. There is clearly a THEY, and this THEY is out to get them!

Really interesting and eye-opening. Bit sad too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Oddly, said labels are never applied to the people who wanted/created these laws. No, it's the other side invoking a culture war by discussing them, not the policy makers/supporters.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Again

Around 900 availed of the cert between 2015 and 2022. Not even enough to fill Vicar St.

🤷‍♀️

The trans person that was on Tommy tiernan show recently was amazing , she can’t make head nor tail of any of it either 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I saw this person and I just thought how sad. Years of sexual abuse when younger. Not surprised he was messed up and didn't want to be a man any more if that was the life he'd have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Barbie's probably on her contraband phone in her cell now flicking her bean reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Why do people bring up gay men everytime there is a discussion on trans? It has nothing to do with gay men

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The majority of trans women are gay men , who then identify as lesbian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,628 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

So if there's a Barbie Kardashian, has anyone asked if there's a Ken Jenner?

Because it is an example of how emotional reactions can then be rationalized into a sort of semi-rational argument that singles out particular groups.

People were also very worried about letting black men near white women unsupervised at some stage, because they found black rapists scarier than white ones. That is another example that could be used.

It is just a really obvious and recent example of a similar situation, is all.

And no-one ever had anything against them, of course. Goodness me no.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

Nah. The force teaming of trans by various self absorbed activists and misogynists has blown up on gay people.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Hang on I thought it was the gay agenda that was being pushed through? That is what "they" were supposedly after before anyway. You'd hear about that agenda all the time and how "they" were trying to force it through. Never seemed so terrible to me: I always imagined something quite smart, like done in calfs-leather and matching your shoes or something.

I think I must have missed a meeting of "them", if "they" are now on to a new thing altogether. Or is this an entirely different "they"? Are there multiple "theys" out there trying to brutally force agendas on us?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

How does that work? They're attracted to men, they transition, and now they're lesbians?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

They wouldn't have got out of a central mental hospital, which I agree with.

Using priest class and then good lord? That I find amusing.

Look at the tittle of the thread.

Nobody is saying trans people are second class citizens. This is somebody who gamed the system. Very simple.

• Advertisement

Ah well. Maybe the same thing will happen as with all the other equality struggles. A decade or two passes and things improve. First the worst of the dinosaurs just sort of die out, a bunch of others pretend they were on the other side of the debate all along, and a small contingent will feel nostalgic for the days when they could happily be as phobic as they wanted without anyone calling them on it, but be too chickenshit to do it out loud anymore.

Not perfect, but better than before.

Advertisement