Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Heard a French rugby journo saying that Cordero is still playing great for Bordeaux but they spent big money on getting Penaud this Summer so had to let someone go.

Is he still part of the Argentina squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Is that seriiiious?

😍

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

He was playing for them last year in the rugby championship anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Is Cordero our highest profile signing ever? 45 caps for a tier 1 nation, world cup semi finalist, and still very much in his prime.

Craig Clarke though not all-black senior because it's way harder, and though it has niot last long because of injury, was a very very high signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Dan Parks and Mils Muliana were probably bigger names but they were clearly on the downward ebb of their career while this guy is still at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I'd say second only to Mils and like you said he was on the way out.

Parks was a big-ish fish in the then very small pond of the Celtic League and out halfing an awful scotland team so wouldn't have said he's anything near Cordero

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Craig Clarke was not remotely on the same level as Cordero.

Muiliana obviously a bigger name but he had so many miles on the clock that Cordero should be the better signing.

Finish off with a mid-level out half and it will be a good squad next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He wasnt near Cordero though. why you think that he was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Craig Clarke had absolute zero name recognition when he came. Even at the time no Connacht fans had really any knowledge of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

Bundee came with Mils and most everyone knew Bundee was the real signing

Because he was a huge part of Connacht coming from "brave but small" (under Elwood) to allmighty champions (Lam the season after). Symbol of this rise in 2014-15 was Toulouse away.win.

Clarke was even more than Muldowney an "unseen guy" but pivotal. Captain material. Just broken by injury...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

That's a very exciting signing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Team named for Edinburgh

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS EDINBURGH RUGBY

Saturday 25th March, 15:00 @ The Sportsground

Number/Name/Caps

15. Oran McNulty (13)

14. Diarmuid Kilgallen (14)

13. Tom Farrell (93)

12. Cathal Forde (10)

11. John Porch (75)

10. David Hawkshaw (12)

9. Caolin Blade (164)

1. Peter Dooley (14)

2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (18)

3. Jack Aungier (46)

4. Oisín Dowling (38)

5. Niall Murray (50)

6. Cian Prendergast (41)

7. Conor Oliver (57)

8. Jarrad Butler (110)

16. Dave Heffernan (178)

17. Jordan Duggan (36)

18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (77)

19. Darragh Murray (7)

20. Shamus Hurley-Langton (14)

21. Kieran Marmion (224)

22. Tom Daly (73)

23. Shane Jennings (1)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

That's a stonking good signing 👏

With all the press about backing the academy guys I'd wonder if we're taking a different approach to the squad: slightly smaller squad with a larger number of (cheaper) young homegrown players and a smaller but more high quality signings from abroad. Not exactly sure where the signings from other provinces fit in there as so many have come in and been excellent for us so don't want to shut down that pathway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Huge game tomorrow. Our game is before the Sharks game so a chance to pile the pressure on them but in reality we just need to do the business in these two home games and see what's to play for going to Glasgow.

That team wouldn't inspire me but I guess we must have no other options. I'd be worried up front as Edinburgh have a strong side named and Darcy Graham always worries me. I presume at full back O'Halloran is injured ?

At least the insanity of marmion not being in the 23 has been rectified.

Edinburgh have a big game against Leicester next Friday but overall have been disappointing this season in the league and with ulster away in the last game they look very unlikely to make the top 7/8 even with a win tomorrow but theyll be looking to get some momentum for next weekend.

This kinda reminds me of the Glasgow game last season where we collapsed with a patched together side. Hopefully the level of rotation we have used this season might be beneficial here and some players who have been in and out this season can step up when really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

The selectors continue to baffle me. Would have thought this was an occasion where we'd want Tiernan. Would also prefer to see Illo in over DRMC. Am a little surprised that Forde is not been given a chance at 10 seeing as himself and Hawkshaw are interchangeable. i like Hawkshaw in the centre have the impression that he snatches too much at 10, composure is a bit wanting, but at least he's getting a decent crack. Same could be said of Oran McNulty, although he hasn't shoe so far, hopefully he takes his chance tomorrow. Finger crossed Jennings gets a decent run.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

O'Halloran may be injured. Bit concerned about McNulty, he makes a lot of errors. Wouldn't be too harsh on him though as he's never been given a run to establish form. I see the merit in going with a more experienced option at tighthead. Hawkshaw has 5 starts at 10 this season to Forde's zero so I think there's also justification in looking for the continuity there. Hopefully having Forde outside him offering a left footed kicking option will take some of the pressure off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

Jack with hamstring. Tiernan with hip surgery. Both due back next week

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Hip surgery? Due back next week? Is there such a thing as minor hip surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There are keyhole surgeries on the hip that are minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

To be fair surgery could have happened two weeks ago after the dragons match. Teams are not under any pressure to announce injury updates. Especially when that player is rumoured out of contract in a few weeks

Big day today, looking for lions, Connacht , Scarlets and Ulster wins

Nervous about this.

Edinburgh look strong and they have 0 respect for us after last year.

Was that kilgallon who made the tackle on Graham? Whoever it was it was fantastic

Discipline here will kill us

Extremely frustrating performance. Much better on both sides of the ball but restarts and indiscipline are killing us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bit of fortune with the intercept there as Edinburgh had completely turned the momentum of the match. Could be a big score right on half time.

Advertisement