Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Rebuild 3 – Block 2 Week 4 – 7M with 2M @ Sub 3 MP

Popped into town Saturday morning and picked up a pair of Glycerin 20s from Run Logic in Temple Bar. They feel slightly bigger than the 19s, but it could just be my imagination. I debuted them a few hours later around the Polo Grounds.

Chilly conditions this afternoon and a mile in I was regretting not bringing gloves. Close to two full laps of the Polo Grounds Road Loop are run at sub3 MP, which did help to heat up the hands a little. In general the pace felt manageable. I did get a too slow alert at the top of the first Lords Walk ascent. I often get a too slow alert here when targeting whatever pace so nothing of concern, the next Chesterfield descent takes care of it. Right now the prospect of adding another 24.2 miles at this pace seems like utter madness, pure folly, and I push the thought out of my head. Heartrate at 164 is higher than I’d like for the 2 miles. They were completed at 4:10 min/km (6:42 min/mile), hold that for a full marathon and I’d finish in 2:55, faster end of my sub3 range.

Finished the sub3 section I continue up Chesterfield before heading down the Khyber and home.

The new shoes fitted fine, were very comfy and had a bounce that was missing from the old pair. I also think they are raised a little extra in front to help launch your stride from your fore-foot, again this could just be my imagination. I’m not going to rotate them with the old pair of 19s, the latter are too hard on the legs I think and so are now fully retired. If after 150/200 miles I’m still happy with the 20s then I’ll pick up another pair or two before they inevitably get phased out.

Legs felt generally ok Saturday with minimal fuss from the left hip/glute and from the right hammer.

Total 6.94M @ 8:02 (average 152 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 2 Week 4 – 11M+ at long run pace

Sunday morning I repeated my 11 miler route from two weeks ago. It’s so much more comfortable a ride in the new shoes. Stride feels good and natural, legs feeling lighter than usual. I enjoy this one, taking in the Sunday morning activity around me. Manage a few hundred metres on the sand at Sandymount, very heavy underfoot here though. U-turn at the rail crossing to bring me onto Merrion Road and I head back home via Ballsbridge, Ranelagh, Rathmines, Dolphins Barn and Rialto.

No feedback from the right hammer that I can remember, and really minimal feedback from the left hip/glute. The engine felt fine and it was not demanding to hold average pace between 8:00 and 8:15. Legs almost felt normal this morning and I realise I’ve nearly forgotten what it feels like to run on normal legs. They also felt ok later while busy in the kitchen getting lunch ready.

Block-2 completed with all goals achieved: 4M @ MP, 2M @ Sub3 MP, longest run up to 12M, average weekly mileage between 35 and 40. Will enjoy the down-week now before starting block-3. I think the biggest challenges will be returning to the Brooks Tempos for the (gentle) reintroduction of Sub40 10K pace and I suspect pushing sub3 MP up to 4M will be demanding.

My first weigh-in at the start of this rebuild was 76.2kg, by the end of block-1 I had lost 1.8kg and weighed in at 74.4kg, and now at the end of block-2 I have lost a further 1.7kg and weighed in at 72.7kg, first time under 73kg in quite a while. Hope to be at least in the 71s coming out of block-3.

Total 11.31M @ 8:08 (average 137 bpm)  

Downweek

Hit my downweek running goals this week but was guilty of slacking off on the non-running stuff. Didn't use the roller nearly as much as I should have and took my eye of diet as well. Need to regain discipline from Block-3 onwards. Target mileage for the week was no more than 50% of my most recent training weekly mileage, so anywhere between 17.5 and 20 miles.

Tuesday - Easy 5K - Total 3.16M : 8:47 (average 128 bpm)

A gentle, don't look at the Garmin, 5K. Run from Kilmainham across to Inchicore. A u-turn at the Black Lion and back through James to Heuston. Very large and bright full moon showing this evening. The legs felt better than expected, with minimal fuss from the left hip/glute. Encouraging even if an unremarkable and forgettable run. Happy to sees heartrate settling sub 130.

Friday - Very Easy 4 Miles - Total 4.02M @ 8:59 (average 129 bpm)

Resumed this down-week running on Friday night after work. Fairly chilly out there, meant I'm in wooly hat and gloves. Keep this simple running an out and back along the Chapelizod Road. I run on the park side of the road, afraid that there could be icy patches on the more sheltered river side.

Some light tingling from the right hammer (clearly just when the left hip/glute has quietened down). At times I feel that a downweek invites issues, kept latent during proper training, to come to the surface.

Saturday - 5M with 2M @ Steady Pace - Total 5.12M @ 8:20 (average 141 bpm)

This run is primarily intended to ensure that the legs don't get too relaxed during the downweek. Headed to the playing fields for this. Two miles equates to one full lap plus around 0.4 of a mile. Wet and slightly windy this morning, with snow visible on the Dublin mountains in the distance. Some more light tingles from the right hammer, not painful nor uncomfortable, just a little concerning. Engine wise I had no issues with Steady Pace, aside from some too fast alerts at the outset. All very manageable and the legs probably felt better running steady than easy. Two miles completed in 15:10 @ 4:43 min/km. Passed 300 miles for the year on this run.

Sunday - 10K+ - Total 6.45M @ 8:25 (average 141 bpm)

Huge difference between today's and yesterday's weather. Dry and much milder today with winds to deal with only on Acres. Ran from the Criminal Courts to the Hole in the Wall by following the perimeter road outside the Park. Entered the Park at the pedestrian entrance and started the downhill stretch from here past the Phoenix and down Acres. Followed the S-Bends to Islandbridge and home from there.

Legs felt ok and, dare I say it, at times good this morning. Hit my down-week mileage. Scales prove that I really did slack off on diet, as they read 73.1kg. Hopefully the last time for a while that I see 73.XXkg or greater

Looking forward now to Block-3 - where the MP and Sub3MP sessions look likely to be the most challenging.

Post edited by outforarun on

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 1 – Easy Hour

Block-3 started Monday evening. The goals for this block are:

• increase weekly mileage to 40-45 Miles
    • increase longest run to 14M
    • run 6M @ MP
    • run 4M @ Sub3 MP
    • run 1M @ Sub40 10K pace

That's a tastier set of objectives than those hit in block-1 and block-2. I'm most concerned about the 4M @ Sub3 MP. And I hope sub40 pace won't feel too tough, it's been a while.

Monday night was a gentle opener, an easy hour on my Crumlin route. Probably won't be too many more of these as the evenings get longer and the easy hour returns to the Park.

The legs felt surprisingly ok this evening. After a long day at the desk I was braced for stiff uncooperative legs but instead they were loose and not really complaining. I think the new Glycerins are helping, didn't feel the concrete as much. Once again I don't look at the Garmin until I've reached the end of Stannaway Road, tonight it show's 8:42min/mile pace, so on target and a little quicker than the last couple of runs here. I felt the miles passed quicker than normal as well, maybe because I was enjoying the run more. Happy with a final bpm of 133.

Legs ok afterwards, and another roller and core session gets logged.

An encouraging start then to block-3. The first test arrives quickly though with 5M @ MP planned for Tuesday evening.

Total 7.05M @ 8:40 (average 133 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 1 – 10K with 5M @ MP

I passed the first test of block-3 last night.

The hardest part might have been just getting out the door. Busy at work, too busy at work. Looking forward to some days off over the next while. Both Monday and Tuesday were longish and non-stop days and while it's great to get a run in it's tricky to get straight out the door after logging off. There is a temptation to grab some food and hit the sofa. Instead it's: into gear, pre-run activations (heels and hammers), run, post-run stretches (hip-flexors), shower, roller and core session - and only then food and sofa.

I ran a gentle lap of my Royal Oak Loop (still leader of this segment 3 years on) and as I complete the lap I hit the lap button on the Garmin to start the 5M section. Plan is a full lap of my Kilmainham-Inchicore-Chapelizod-Islandbridge-Heuston-Kilmainham loop.

The opening mile it takes a while to get up to pace as I start a little too slow and as the lighting in spots isn't great so I have to stride carefully. But once I hit target range the too-slow alerts stop and when I arrive in Chapelizod the too fast alerts start. Stride feels solid, legs feel ok, engine is working but not stressing at all. Have to ease up a little. Feeling generally strong as I head along the Park side of Chapelizod Road. The Garmin hopping between 'In range' (4:23) and 'Ahead' (4:22). I ease up a fraction but generally I'm waiting for the slight incline after Islandbridge Gate and the steeper climb from Heuston up the Luas tracks to ensure I finish in range.

Complete 4 miles near the bus depot and start into mile 5, this is the longest distance run at MP in several months. I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm naturally falling on the faster rather than on the slower end of target pace. The Luas hill does knock a second or two off average pace as expected and I finish the 5 miles in 35:27, average pace of 4:24 min/km [7:05 min/mile]. Pace for a 3:05:XX marathon.

Pleased with this and hopefully the average bpm of 163 will drop for MP runs over the next weeks.

Total 6.37M @ 7:34 (average 153 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 1 – Easy Hour

Out Friday morning for a Paddy's Day run. Had to work on keeping the pace down for this one. Wore a green Cork City top for the day that was in it and along the towpath to Chapelizod I got one (positive) call-out because of it. There was some presence from the left hip/glute, not totally unexpected after 2 days without running. Tricolour outside Aras. A mini diversion behind the Polo Grounds. Then out at Islandbridge and home.

Felt generally ok for this run. However later on Paddy's we strolled up to the Papal Cross and on this walk my left knee started to complain. I think it might be my casual shoes and that they are flatter and less cushioned than my runners. I've been wearing a retired pair of yellow Asterias as casual shoes, but didn't wear these midweek. I decide I'll start civilian usage of my just retired Glycerin 19s as well. Hopefully this left knee soreness will work itself out.  

Total 7.05M @ 8:30 (average 138 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 1 – 4x400 @ Sub40 10K Pace

Spent a rainy Saturday morning around town. Wore the recently retired Glycerin 19s as casual shoes and the difference was very noticeable. Soft and cushioned and the knee felt better than yesterday. Hopefully wearing these more frequently will help the knees.

Another new pair of shoes have their debut Saturday afternoon. A black and orange pair of Brooks Hyperion Tempos. These have been patiently awaiting their debut since I purchased them last July down in Bray. I retired their white and black predecessors (which will also now be assigned to civilian duty). The new Tempos feel snug and have a nice touch and contact with the ground.

As I climb over the humpback bridge of Islandbridge the left knee complains for a stride or two, sore enough. This isn't the same pain that I had two years ago, this is more to the front, I don't think it is IT band related. This was the only complaint from the knee on the run, and it was generally ok during the day after the run, but it did mean that I ran the rest of the run tense, waiting for the knee to hurt again.

Up the Khyber and down to the Polo Grounds. And time to reintroduce sub40 10K pace after a very long absence. I used call this tempo pace, but it's faster than tempo really, so I'm calling it what it is, sub40 10K pace. The range is 3:55 (6:18) to 3:59 (6:24) and it will be the second fastest pace of this rebuild. The 400s should log around 1:34 or 1:35.

The pace is manageable and the legs don't object. I'm looking ahead already, I feel this block 1M at this pace will be doable, but next block where 2M is on the agenda, that will be a test. The 400s are run in: 1:33.91, 1:34.99, 1:35.52 and 1:32.50. Average 1:34.23 so 3:55 (6:19) pace. Thankfully no protests from the legs.

Tip home for an S&C session, focusing on the glutes, hammers and core, and then out to the local for the rugby.

Total 7.51M @ 8:20 (average 139 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 1 – 12M (@ long run pace)

Left knee was much improved and stayed quiet for the whole run. A tiny bit of left hip/glute presence at the outset but it settled down, and the right hammer was also quiet. Encouraging. Nice weather as well, a little chilly when I first stepped out but I ran with only a t-shirt on top for the first time this year and it was fine after a mile or two.

Despite several Grand Slam Guinness yesterday, I felt fairly fresh this morning. The engine was good and I had to concentrate to stay inside target range (8:00 to 8:15). I logged a few too many miles the wrong side of 8:00: M2 7:46, M3 7:40, M6 7:47, M12 7:56. The first two probably because I was running uphill and over compensated.

I ran this around my usual 12 miler route and the real proof that the legs weren't bothering me was when I took a wrong turn while daydreaming near the end and left the Park at Island Bridge rather than continuing up Wellington and out Park Gate. I continued to Park Gate along Conyngham Road. Actually works out closer to 12M with this diversion so I'll use it in future.

Pleased with this run. And also very pleased with today's weigh-in: 71.3kg (I double-checked more than twice). That's 4.9kg lost since starting this rebuild and I think the legs are starting to appreciate it.

First 40M week since the start of October. All told, a good start to block-3.

Total 12.11M @ 8:01 (average 143 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 2 – Easy Hour

Started the week with an easy hour on Monday morning. Legs felt surprisingly ok on this one, maybe just having the day off helped. Bumped into one of the Donore Crew and stopped to chat for a few minutes, good to catch up and ended up remembering this old Saturday session, where he came home before me ...

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/112521122/#Comment_112521122

I check for the first time this morning as I travel down Chesterfield, I see 8:30 min/mile showing and I immediately ease up. This is the easiest 8:30 pace has felt all year, feels like I'm barely jogging. Enjoying this. Out Parkgate and home via HSQ. I complete the loop in one hour and 5 seconds. Pleased with this start to the week.

Total 7.02M @ 8:34 (average 134 bpm)

• Advertisement

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 2 – 10K with 3M @ Sub3 MP

I was off work Tuesday and Wednesday but didn't get to run either day. Spent a sunny Tuesday morning clocking up over 20000 steps around Dollymount and St.Annes', come late afternoon the legs felt tired and I didn't fancy the prospect of 3M at Sub3 pace. I was travelling pretty much all day on Wednesday from Dublin to Macroom, around Cork, and back to Dublin late. So I didn't get back on the road until Thursday evening.

The legs felt heavy after my midweek break and after a desk-bound day. I ran my usual Kilmainham-Inchicore-Chapelizod-Islandbridge-Heuston loop. After a little over a mile, at the start of the Ballyfermot Road, I hit lap on the Garmin and start the Sub3 session. It takes a while to build up to pace. There is an initial incline to deal with and there is a very heavy soaked-in-10-seconds shower with a stiff headwind to keep things interesting. The descent down to Chapelizod gets me on pace. The stretch along Chapelizod Road demands concentration but I'm mostly running at the fast end of target pace, Garmin showing either 4:08 or 4:07 with some too fast alerts. The incline up Conyngham Road scrubs some speed off and I finish the sub3 section near the bus depot.

That was demanding enough, but I remind myself I was coming cold after a two day break, it was an evening post work run and I was holding pace in the faster end of my target range. I complete the 3 miles in 20:08 @ 6:43 min/mile pace with an average 161 bpm.

Tack on some additional minutes around my Royal Oak loop to bring up 10K for the evening. Happy with the run. Legs didn't complain.

Biggest concern at the moment is the left knee which is complaining a bit when not running, especially ascending stairs. I iced it later in the evening and that seemed to help. Again I don't think this is IT band related, it's more to the front. Hopefully it sorts itself out.

Total 6.23M @ 7:57 (average 145 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 2 – Easy 10K+

Left knee not very happy today whenever I was going upstairs. Headed out after work.

Start running and the legs feel heavy again but no complaints from the knee. Some presence from the left glute, but the latter has improved quite a bit over the last while, as has the right hammer. Another running of my 5 mile loop plus a Royal Oak loop added to bring up 10K. I know the legs feel heavy and that I'm not bouncing around this evening but I'm still surprised to see an average pace of 9:06 showing when I check the Garmin after 3 miles. I press the accelerator a little and gradually speed up and into range.

I hope the legs will have a little more zip for the weekend. Looking forward to lacing up the Hyperions again tomorrow morning.

Total 6.36M @ 8:40 (average 133 bpm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Do you always run the same way (clockwise/anticlockwise) on your loops, is so try the alternalte way, might help your knee(might not :-)

Pretty much yes. My go-to midweek loops are always run in the same direction. Wouldn't hurt to alternate direction for a while I guess. Will run my Chapelizod loop the wrong way round next time out.

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 2 – 800+(2x400) @ Sub40 10K Pace

Out mid morning last Saturday. Mostly sunny conditions. The new Hyperions get their second outing. Tip over to my Polo Grounds Road Loop. Right now this pace I can look forward to, because it allows me to run fast but I know speed endurance isn't being tested. Next block onwards these runs will become trickier.

I hit lap on the Garmin to start the 800. Soon after I realise that the top corner of the loop is shut for roadworks and pathworks. I have to check my stride to navigate some barriers. Not ideal. I finish the 800m down Chesterfield as normal, and the 400 is run up Lords Walk as normal, but for the final 400 I turn 180 after the Pavilion and run it clockwise back down Lords Walk.

These were fine, very manageable. I was pleased at the start of the final 400 to see 3:4X pace showing and for it to feel ok. I slowed down but it's encouraging as from Block-4 I will be re-introducing small quantity sets of 400s, 600s and 800s where I will be targeting 3:4X pace. Final splits were 3:08, 1:34, 1:34.

I should have planned Saturday's run a bit better, I have some miles to log after the fast sections, would have preferred to have ran the sub40 stretches closer to the end of the run.

Total 7.34M @ 8:22 (average 139 bpm)  

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 2 – 13.1M (@ long run pace)

An hour less sleep Saturday night on the shortest weekend of the year. It'll be worth it though for daylight evening runs.

Sunday morning is mostly wet and mostly grey. I head out happy to be tackling my first Half Marathon distance since last October.

I stick to a tried and tested route. Heading into town along Thomas Street, past Trinity and turn onto the Liffey from Pearse Street. A German tall ship is moored here this morning. I turn into Canal Dock over some footbridges and into Irishtown. Over the East Link and then the long long river stretch from East Link Bridge to Chapelizod Bridge. I find it a little tricky to dial in target pace, running a few miles too quick along the way. The engine feels good but today the right hammer makes a slight reappearance. Some faint tingle on and off during the second half of the run. No pain though and no pinging.

Back southside over Chapelizod Bridge and then hilly mile 10 brings me up Kylemore Road to Ballyfermot Road. I cut back down to the tow-path, another mile run too quickly, and head for the War Memorial Gardens and home. The route is pretty much 13.1M on the button. Nice to have completed this one and to have felt generally strong throughout.

Later in the afternoon my lower left shin starts to ache. Nothing severe, but fairly persistent. I never get any aches or pains here so I'm a little concerned. Fingers crossed it'll sort itself out. Left leg is a bit of a battle zone of late, hip and glute and knee and now shin.

Scales say I've added weight since last week, but I'm still in the 71s so for now that's ok. Weigh in at 71.6kg. If I weigh less than 71.6kg next Sunday then I'll be happy.

Total 13.10M @ 8:05 (average 141 bpm)

• Advertisement

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 3 – Easy 10K

Started the third week of block-3 Tuesday evening after work. Left shin had felt ok during the day having ached quite a bit on Monday. After around a mile or so I could feel a light presence in the shin, but it stayed light and there was no pain. Out later than planned so I wasn't able to take proper advantage of the longer evenings. Up the right hand side of Chesterfield from Park Gate to the Phoenix roundabout, then back down the other side of Chesterfield and back out Park Gate. The Chesterfield lamp-posts were lit for the descent. Home via a slight diversion toward Inchicore.

Gentle start to the week, feeling cautiously optimistic that the shin ache will resolve itself.

Total 6.23M @ 8:45 (average 136 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 3 – 8+ Miles with 6M @ MP

I was looking forward to this one. Confident that I would complete it without issue, but all the same a little apprehensive as it's an evening run after a day at the desk. I opt for clockwise laps of the path around the Playing Fields, great to have evening Park options again. 6M will take me three times around the path and the guts of a fourth. I get stuck in.

Wind is always a factor. This evening the winds were blowing from the south-east, so not the prevailing westerlies. The head wind is tackled on the descent toward the Fort while the Acres climb is wind assisted.

Lap 1 is fine. Checking the Garmin I see pace settling at 4:26 min/km. Lap 2 also feels ok, I do prefer have the wind at my back rather than in my face. Near the end of Lap 3 I realise I've been day-dreaming, lost concentration and pace had dropped to 4:29. So I push a little for the final partial lap, since stating on here that I would repeat a block if I ever fail to hit one of the block goals, I've been a little nervous about 'failing' block-3.

I needn't have worried, I hold target pace and complete these MP miles without issue. I think I'm already good to push up to 8M in block-4. The 6M were run @ 7:10 min/mile pace, equating to a 3:07:XX marathon finish. Heart-rate 161 bpm, faster than I'd have liked. Definitely more concerned for next Wednesday's planned 4M at sub3 pace.

Take a photo break and breathe in the Park air as soon as I complete the MP section. Big skies and mild air, and a happy feeling knowing that long evenings await us across Spring, Summer and Autumn.

I tip home pleased with the evening's work.

Total 8.80M @ 7:43 (average 150 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 3 – Easy 5 Miles

Dash to the plumber providers nearby to buy a replacement washer for a leaking kitchen sink. Come home to see that despite turning the mains off quite a bit of water had poured across kitchen work services and into one of the lower cupboards. Fix the tap and spend 15 mins drying up the various kitchen surfaces. Then it's time to lace up and head out for some more water, a waterfall from a gutter at home that badly needs cleaning and then 5 miles under non-stop rain splashing through wide and deep puddles.

I have the S-Bends, Acres and the Khyber pretty much entirely to myself. Legs felt ok, maybe a little heavy. I realise only at the bottom of the Khyber that I'm travelling too fast. I apply brakes for the last mile and a bit until I drop back in the 8:30s.

Hope for slightly drier conditions over the weekend.

Total 5.09M @ 8:31 (average 135 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 3 – 1200+400 @ Sub40 10K Pace

Worms, thousands and thousands of worms.

I headed across to the Playing Fields late Saturday morning. There had been constant rain Friday evening through Friday night into Saturday morning. I enter the Park at Islandbridge and swing left. I notice a pink fat worm on the ground, then another one, then another, then ten more, then 100 more, then a thousand and then thousands and thousands of worms. I did try to avoid them at first but eventually they became unavoidable, look up and ahead not down by my feet. A flock of seagulls not squabbling over food for a change. Pairs of jackdaws looking full.

Ignore the worms and get to work. Still just experimenting with sub40 10K pace. First stretch is 1200m, including an Acres climb. A little apprehensive but I needn't have been. This was very manageable. The 1200 was run in 4:41 at 3:54 min/km [6:17min/mile] pace, so a fraction too fast. I enjoy 600m to recover before 400m in 1:33, that's 3:52 [6:14] pace, again too fast. I didn't realise at the time that I was running too fast, if I had I would have eased off.

I tip back home around the S-Bends (less worms here).

Total 5.87M @ 8:17 (average 135 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 3 – 14 Miles @ Long Run Pace

My longest run in I don't how many months. I enjoyed this one. The legs weren't protesting and didn't feel heavy. I tried out some new roads to run as well.

I started by running from Heuston along the South Quay all the way to the Samuel Beckett Bridge, crossed over and turned for East Wall by the Arena. Right along Alfie Byrne Road and then I swung briefly left to Bram Stoker Park and up the Malahide Road before turning left onto Griffith Avenue. Some snazzy looking apartments on the right along here (checked them online later and they are rental only, all the best apartments are rental only it seems). Turn left off Griffith at Drumcondra and head for the canal. Whitworth Road as the sun tries to come out. Phibsboro, when will they redevelop Dalymount? Then along the NCR to the Park. A little moment of concern here, not hungry I didn't have a substantial meal Saturday evening and for a moment I thought I was starting to crash. This only lasted a few minutes and then I felt good again.

Up by the Polo Grounds (I was wise to head for the Playing Fields yesterday, the Polo Road Loop is still blocked off). Up to the Phoenix and then it's mostly downhill to home.

Happy with this one. Legs were good for the rest of the day, including 90 minutes in the kitchen on lunch duty. Cautiously looking forward to longer, warmer and sunnier Sunday morning runs now.

Weigh-in was heavier than last week but still in the 71s, that's fine. Targeting the 70s in Block-4

Total 14.01M @ 8:02 (average 139 bpm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Loved that run description. Hopefully Dalymount will not be developed (unless as a better stadium or other public/community facility). Bohs management seems to be in a good place in that regard. Exemplars really.

Post edited by Murph_D on

Yeah I'm hoping that the stadium gets a makeover with lots of love. Same hope for Richmond Park. Was down in Tallaght for City game a few weeks back, stadium there is setting the standard.

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 4 – Easy Hour

I started the final week of this current rebuild block Tuesday evening. Another longer than planned day at work, there is always a strong temptation to just stick something easy in the oven and head for the sofa with a beer or glass of red once I log off late. As I do 95% of the time I ignore the temptation, get the runners on and the activations done and head out.

Head for the Park. For a change I travel anti-clockwise up the North Road rather than clockwise through the S-Bends. The light is starting to fade by the time I turn around close to the Castleknock Gate. I enjoy a full descent of Chesterfield. I only start checking pace on the descent and see it dropping gently from high 8:40s to low 8:40s. By the time I finish it has dropped to 8:38. Timed this well, arriving back where I started 12 seconds over the hour.

Legs were heavy but no significant complaints from the usual suspects

Some roller and core later – been neglecting this this last week and conscious I have a potentially tricky 4M at sub-3 MP in less than 24 hours.

Total 6.96M @ 8:38 (average 136 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 4 – 7M+ with 4M @ Sub3 MP

Got this done Wednesday evening. In my head this was always going to be the key test of block-3. I don’t think I doubted that I would complete it on target but I was concerned about how difficult it might feel, especially being any after-work run.

While heading across to the Park I was encouraged by legs that felt fairly responsive and not too heavy. Clockwise lapping of the Playing Fields was the plan. Four miles would take more or less 2 and a half laps.

Several football matches in progress so I’m not alone this evening. I start the 4M at my usual spot, the second bike symbol on the path heading up Acres. I push stronger than necessary over the opening 200m or so just to get an initial ‘too fast’ alert and then I start a controlled easing up of the pace. I’m wearing the Glycerins which I expected to feel heavy but instead they provide a surprisingly light and bouncy ride. I had been thinking to switch to the Tempos once I go beyond 8M at Sub3, but now I’m not so sure.

Lap 1 is completed without issue. I’ve dropped into target pace and the effort levels are manageable. Not overly windy this evening, a light breeze blowing from the west. 

Lap 2 is a little more difficult but not by a lot. I’ve stopped looking at the Garmin and I’m running at what I feel is the correct pace, trying to keep honest. I’ll check pace again during the final partial lap just to be sure I don’t risk running too slow, fail to hit target pace and have to repeat block-3!

Enjoying working on this one. I head into the final partial lap and complete my final ascent up Acres. I check pace on the ascent and I’m pleased to see 4:09 min/km [6:40 min/mile] showing. I can afford to ease up a little if I need, but I’m happy to hold pace across the rest of the partial lap.

Job done. I complete the 4M in 26:42 @ 4:09 min/km [6:40 min/mile]. This is 2:55 marathon pace so well under 3 hours. Average heartrate recorded at 171 bpm, this definitely reads higher than how I perceived the effort.

I compared this with a similar run from last October during an ill-fated rushed return to training. In October I completed four miles at 4:10 [6:42] pace but with a lower heartrate of 166 bpm (yet I remember it feeling much harder than Wednesday evening). Hopefully, touch-wood this time round after three blocks of cautious and patient build-up I will avoid being side-lined like I was shortly after the October effort.

Total 7.23M @ 7:36 (average 152 bpm)  

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 4 – 10K Easy

Friday saw my first Italian run of this rebuild. An easy 10K in Parco di Trenno after work. Legs felt a little heavy but no protests. Kept this to two and a bit clockwise laps of the park. As nearly always on easy runs I first check pace after 3 miles. Too fast 8:22. I spend the rest of the run easing up and ensuring I get back on target, which I manage, just.

Additional challenge while here will be keeping weight stable, normally while in Italy it's two significant meals a day rather than one. No scales for a weigh-in which isn't a bad thing.

Total 6.23M @ 8:30 (average 134 bpm)

Last weekend of Rebuild 3 – Block 3

Finished Block-3 two weekends ago under blue skies in Milan.

6M+ 1M @ Sub40 10K Pace

This was kind of fun. I base myself again in Parco di Trenno. On my first lap I hear a runner approaching from behind, good form and he runs past me. He's running a different loop to me because he overtakes me again later in the lap. Then as I start into lap 2 I hear him approaching again, he draws level with me, I think for a moment he is going to start chatting but he drifts ahead again. Three times overtaken by the same runner. But I know my faster mile is approaching, I want to run roughly half along the slight downhill and half along the slight uphill. As I arrive at the kink in the path that signals the start of the 1M he is about 80m ahead. I hit the lap button and accelerate, he can hear me arriving glances over his shoulder and I shoot past him. I did exaggerate, checking the Garmin shortly after overtaking I see 3:22 [5:25] pace showing, oops. I ease up gradually for the rest of the mile.

The mile felt easier than my heartrate (177 bpm) suggested. Completed in 6:18 right at the fast end of target. I also ran this in the Glycerins as I only travelled with one pair of shoes. I had hoped to pick up a pair of Dynafits while in Milan and so didn't want to have to squeeze three pairs of shoes into my cabin bag on the return journey (in the end I couldn't find the Dynafits I was looking for). The Glycerins definitely provided extra bounce and less feel for the faster mile.

Total 6.64M @ 7:47 (average 149 bpm)

13.1M @ Long Run Pace

I complete block-3 two Sunday mornings ago. Mostly warm and mostly blue sky. I head to San Siro for starters, running a lap around the Stadium before heading along via Novara before turning right for Parco delle Cave. Nice wide dirt and grit tracks in this park and I stay for two laps. Water levels in the lake are lower than usual, it has barely rained all year here.

The legs are feeling good and my pace threatens to be too fast, I need to focus and press the brakes a few times. It's so nice to be running on generally light legs, warm, seeing my shadow on the path and feeling the sunshine. Makes me look forward to longer Sunday runs planned in later blocks. I leave Parco delle Cave and transition back to the very familiar Parco di Trenno. I complete a lap and some bits to bring up just slightly over half-marathon distance. Enjoyable run to complete block 3. Six of the 13.1 miles were run slightly faster than target.

No weighing scales means no weigh-in.

Total 13.20M @ 8:02 (average 140 bpm)

Downweek in Milan

Pressure off last week in Milan. Just needed to clock up between 20 and 22.5 miles, and fit in 2 steady miles (7:3X pace) in one of my runs.

I started on Tuesday with an easy 5 miles. On down-weeks I generally don't look at the Garmin. I just ran this at what felt easy and comfortable. Headed to the San Siro again, another lap around the stadium. There are always a handful of tourists snapping photos and I join them this morning. Annoyed that this week I couldn't get tickets for neither the Empoli game nor the Napoli game (though I didn't try very hard for the former). Follow via Novara again and pop over the pedestrian bridge back through Parco di Trenno to bring up 5 Miles. I check final pace after the run, happy to see 8:22 average and average heartrate at 133 confirms that I was keeping it easy.

Next up was another easy 5 miler after work on Thursday evening. A warm mostly overcast evening without a breath of wind blowing. I opt for an out and back, from Trenno to neighbouring village Quinto Romano. First time running into Quinto so enjoyed the novelty of that. Homely feel to the centre of Quinto, old narrow windy streets, not a lot of traffic. Perfect back-drop for an Italian film set in the 50s or earlier. Tip back home enjoying a modest sunset and happy to be starting a second consecutive long long weekend in a row (although I will need to squeeze in a couple of work hours Friday).

A sunny Friday morning sees me back in Parco di Trenno. Another 5 miler, this one with 2 miles of steady running thrown in. The steady miles are very manageable, focus on not running too fast. I log a 7:35 and a 7:33, with heartrates of 150 and 148 respectively. A light head wind to navigate when running northwards, the breeze coming down from the distant Alps.

And on Saturday I finish the downweek with a 10K in Boscoincitta. This large park is a mix of nature reserve and paddy-fields (the latter bone-dry right now). Lots of trails to explore in here, not sure why I don't run here more often. Enjoy my favorite running surface of dirt and grit track. Several walkers, dog-walkers, cyclists and some runners, all out enjoying the fantastic conditions. I run west until the end of the park where it borders with Figino, another neighbourhood similar to Thursday night's Quinto. Turn around and retrace my steps back home. Pausing longer than usual to take a photo and just soak in and appreciate the sun, the birdsong and a pair of legs that feel good. Feeling a bit sad to be leaving tomorrow. Lots of good running available in this part of Milan.

• Tuesday, total 5.06M @ 8:22 (average 133 bpm)
    • Thursday, total 5.11M @ 8:38 (average 126 bpm)
    • Friday, total 5.27M @ 8:09 (average 133 bpm)
    • Saturday, total 6.22M @ 8:25 (average 131 bpm)

Thoughts after Block-3 and before Block-4

Block 3 was a success. All goals hit and I never struggled to hit those goals. I had been concerned about the 4 miler at Sub3 pace but in the end it was less challenging than I imagined. More significantly Block-3 gradually saw me paying less and less attention to the left hip and glute and to the right hammer. The latter was generally very quiet and the former, while I can still detect a presence on runs, I only notice if I actively think about them.

I have had several runs in the second half of this block where the legs felt light and felt good and that has been very very welcome. The last years have conditioned me to thinking I will experience some discomfort, some niggle, some ache, or some worry on every single run. But recent runs have given me hope that this doesn't necessarily have to be the case. I'm wise enough not to get too carried away and I know that things can change from one stride to the next, but I'm going to make sure I appreciate any run where the legs are free, loose and light.

One factor I think that has made a difference, I've started wearing my retired Glycerins as my regular day-to-day shoes. They feel so comfortable and cushioned. Previously when walking my legs felt heavy and complained a lot, creaks and niggles and twinges. Now instead it's a pleasure to walk. I bounce along and the legs are 99% happy. Cannot see myself going back to civilian shoes anytime soon.

Focus now turns towards Block-4. The goals are as follows:

• hold weekly mileage between 40 and 45 miles
    • increase longest run to 16 miles
    • run 8M @ MP
    • run 2M @ Sub40 10K pace
    • reintroduce short interval sets (6x400s, 4x600s and 3x800s) targeting 3:4X pace.

I'm confident for the 8M @ MP and generally confident for the 2M at Sub40 pace. I'm really looking forward to the intervals, but equally I'm most concerned about these and their potential to upset the legs. In previous rebuilds I structured these fastest runs poorly, each run I was tasking myself to run longer and longer at this fastest pace. This time round I want instead to focus on becoming familiar with the pace. I will stick with the structure of the intervals for the next two blocks (then add additional intervals in future blocks) and just become accustomed to running at 3:4X pace again. Doesn't matter if I run one session faster than another the only goal is to complete at 3:4X pace. Hopefully I'll see improvements in heartrate as the weeks pass. I will also run an interval session during my downweek, as my keep-my-legs-loose-run, all other running in the downweek will be easy. This also ensures I will run an interval session 4 out of 5 weeks. In previous rebuilds this was 3 out of 5 weeks and never really allowed me become familiar with the pace.

Fingers-crossed I navigate Block-4 as successfully as I did Block-3.

Rebuild 3 – Block 4 Week 1 – Easy Hour

Had today off. Dropped Junior Outforarun to school in my running gear. Headed for The Park but via Blackhorse Avenue, only turning into the Park at the Ashtown Gate. Despite the opening miles being largely uphill and despite the legs feeling a bit heavy I was surprised after 3 miles to see 8:30 pace showing. I need to slow up. The second half of the run is downhill and it feels very easy, I'm monitoring the Garmin and making sure I don't drop into 8:2X pace. It's a beautiful morning, a definite hint of summer in the air. Since I was last in the Park there are far more buds and green leaves on the trees. I enjoy the controlled descent down Chesterfield, doesn't feel entirely different to some of last week's warm Milan runs.

No complaints from the legs. Out Islandbridge Gate and home. Happy again to see average heartrate at sub 130.

I travel down to Bray in the late morning. Objective was to pick up 2 pairs of Glycerin 20s. They only have one so instead of a second pair I get a pair of Hyperion Max. These are very comparable to the Hyperion Tempos, but have a much more rounded heel. They feel snug and comfortable and use the same foam as the Tempos. The won't be debuted for several months. A walk on the Strand and a little bit of the cliff walk. As I type I've logged over 32000 steps for the day.

Total 7.19M @ 8:36 (average 129 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 1 – 4x800 @ Sub40 10K Pace

Must check if the Polo Grounds Road Loop is fully open again. I assumed it wasn’t and went to the Playing Fields yesterday evening for this one. Because I have a 14 miler with 8M at MP planned for Sunday, I scheduled this run for midweek rather than for Saturday. I put on the Hyperion Tempos and ran my usual warm-up to my usual starting spot, the second bicycle graphic on the path up Acres. Hit the lap button on the Garmin and got to work.

The first 800 feels harder than expected. I’m hoping that this is because of the incline and of the northernly head-wind. I get some too slow alerts along Acres. Happy to have 400m recovery before starting the second 800. This one feels much easier, no head wind, no incline, some downhill and some too fast alerts. The third 800 is the toughest of the evening as it is again up Acres and again into a headwind. That’s the last of the real work, the fourth 800 is very manageable. The wind can be such a factor on the Playing Fields, certainly more so than around the Polo Grounds. 

Target range per 800 was 3:08 to 3:12. The actual 800 splits were: 3:09, 3:09, 3:12, 3:08. Average 800 was completed in 03:09.61. Average pace 3:57 min/km [6:21 min/mile]. I have long way to go to get back to running sub 40 10Ks on demand. Little steps.

From Block-4 I’m logging my 2 harder weekly sessions as work-outs on Strava.

Total 7.12M @ 7:54 (average 142 bpm)

• Advertisement

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 1 – Easy 10K

Open the weekend with an easy unwind 10K. The legs were a little stiff at first and I generally felt heavier than I'd have liked. A little bit of War Memorial Gardens, a Khyber ascent, an easy Chesterfield descent. The Polo Grounds Road Loop is fully open again. Around here I check average pace for the first time and I'm happy to see it's at the faster end of easy range, it felt slower. Need to concentrate now to not run too fast. North Road, out onto Infirmary Road and down to Heuston. Legs have loosened out now and feel good, nice fluid relaxed stride. Up the tram tracks to Jame's and loop around home.

Some work with the roller and powerband later. Left knee has protested a little on stairs over the last few days, but has been fine when running. Another easy run planned for Saturday morning and then a potentially tricky 14 miler with 8 miles at marathon pace. I don't want to under-estimate this one, I feel confident but if I don't tick off the 8M section then I'll be finishing block-4 knowing I have to repeat block-4 straight afterwards.

Total 6.27M @ 8:33 (average 132 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 1 – Easy 5+ Miles

Winter hasn't quite disappeared yet. Overcast and chilly this morning and I put on a warm running jacket. Out around 9:30 and the legs feel a little heavier and a little stiffer than I expected. They do loosen out as the run proceeds. Avoided the park for this one and headed to the canal instead. About a mile or so in it starts to rain. I follow the canal east as far as Emmet Bridge then cross over and turn back toward home passing Griffith College enroute to Dolphins' Barn. I cut through the new hospital and then down to Heuston. A diversion through IMMA before turning for home.

Had to ease up a lot over the last couple of miles to ensure I stayed in target range.

Legs generally feeling ok ahead of tomorrow's key run. I feel heavy, curious to see what the scales say tomorrow. I want to come out of block-4 in the 70.XXkgs but I suspect I have some work to do.

Total 5.56M @ 8:32 (average 131 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 1 – 14M with 8M @ MP

Success. Last Sunday's key run went better than I expected. Decided I'd structure the run as 3M at long run pace (8:00 to 8:15), 8M at MP (7:03 to 7:14) then another 3M at long run pace. Selected roads I haven't run on in a while threading a route through Rathgar, Milltown, Clonskeagh, Donnybrook, Ballsbridge, Portobello, Rialto and home.

I was unexpectedly nervous as I approached the MP section, then as soon as I got to work it felt ok. Most encouraging was that I was travelling relatively comfortably at the faster end of target pace. I had one too-slow alert just outside Rathgar but the rest of the run was completed with 4:23 to 4:25 pace showing on the Garmin. The legs provided no negative feedback. I think the hardest part was from when I joined Merrion Road and along the Grand Canal, footfall felt a little heavier and less fluid here. If I had to I could have continued at this pace for longer, certainly to 10 Miles and maybe even 13.1. After the MP section I had to focus on the final 3 miles to ensure I didn't run too fast

Nice to revisit some of these roads. Noted many Ukrainian flags, a police presence and a solitary protester along Orwell Road. Legs felt exercised for the rest of the day. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the scales showing 71.4kg. I navigated the recent Italian trip better than I expected. Should hopefully make it into the 70s by the end of the block.

The 8M at MP were run in 56:30, @ 4:23 min/km pace [7:03 min/mile] with an average 162 bpm. Equivalent of a 3:05:XX marathon finish.

Total 14.07M @ 7:28 (average 154 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 2 – Easy Hour

Heavy legs under a heavy sky Tuesday evening. It was cold as well, running jacket back on.

Ran my Park easy hour loop. I didn't check the Garmin until after 3 miles and saw average pace of 8:40 showing. That would speed up as I ran into the faster second half of the loop and I needed to apply the brakes as 8:2X pace started to show. Some concern when descending Chesterfield. The front of my left knee starts to ping, I stop for a moment before continuing. After around 50m it passes and doesn't return. I hope this was a single episode. It has happened before that my left knee can complain on single run and then remain silent again for several months. This was the front of the knee, not the outside of the knee like in 2020.

On the roller again later in the evening.

Finish the loop just 3 seconds over the hour.

Total 7.05M @ 8:31 (average 135 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 2 – 6x400 @ 3:4X pace

First run in Athlone of the year, first run at 3:4X pace of the year.

I'd been looking forward to this. The goal for this block and the next is just to become familiar again with this pace. Week by week I'll toggle through 400, 600 and 800 intervals all with the goal of just hitting an average pace between 3:40 [5:54] and 3:49 [6:09], equivalent of a 5K finishing time between 18:20 and 19:05. In later blocks I'll start adding additional repeats to the sessions.

I didn't bother checking if the AIT track was free or not (it wasn't), the last few times I ran there I got grief from the group that had also booked it. Fair enough that once I was late for my booked slot. Pre-Covid the group leader instead would keep lane 1 free for me. I might try fit in these sessions at lunchtime when in Athlone (I may be in Athlone more often on Wednesdays). I headed straight for the Greenway instead. 400m in one direction, turn around and 400m back the way I came. I run 200m recovery between repeats.

Enjoyed this. Harder than I expected and I needed to work on the final 150m of each repeat. I had the Garmin set up for this so I was getting some too fast and too slow alerts (more of the latter than the former) and it didn't feel easy to dial into target range. Each 400 should be completed between 1:28.00 and 1:30.60, and I achieved this on just 3 repeats, the final 2 were the fastest of the evening. There were only 6 repeats and I probably could have managed a few more but I don't want to over stress the legs too soon.

I am already a little worried about the 4x600 planned for next week, I reckon the final 200m of these will be demanding.

How did I ever run 5K at faster than this pace?

Splits were as follows:

1:30.69

1:30.66

1:30.07

1:30.65

1:28.64

1:29.65

Average 1:30.06 @ 3:45 min/km (average 164 bpm)

Total 5.41M @ 7:49 (average 147 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 2 – Easy 10K

Started the weekend's running Friday evening after work. Beautiful conditions, mostly bright and mostly warm. I ran the same route as 7 days ago, so some War Memorial Gardens, a Khyber ascent, a short Chesterfield descent, a trip behind the Pavilion, an exit from the Park at the top of Infirmary Hill, then home via Jame's. Just like last week the legs were tired for the opening miles and had loosened up for the easier second half of the run. Good mood with the long weekend stretching ahead.

Total 6.23M @ 8:31 (average 137 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 2 – 1600+(2×800) @ Sub40 10K pace

Out earlyish Saturday morning before heading south for a gentle stroll up Bray Head.

Back on the Polo grounds road loop, now fully open again. I'm still unconvinced that these runs will be manageable so there is always a little apprehension during warm-up, then the effort is never as difficult as I feared. 

The 1600 is managed without issue, just a little work required on the Lords Walk ascent. The first 800 contains another Lords Walk ascent, but it's fine. And the final 800 features the full Chesterfield descent. Splits were 6:18, 3:07, 3:09. Over compensating for the ascent the first 800 was a little too fast.

Slight left knee presence on warm-up, but it was fine afterwards, including ascending Bray Head before lunch.

Total 6.61M @ 7:54 (average 145 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 2 – 15 Miles @ long run pace

Ran my longest run of the year on Sunday. A south city 15 miler that brought me to over 160 miles for April, my busiest month in a while. The weather Sunday morning was mostly good, no jacket required.

I headed straight for the sea by Irishtown and Sandymount. More people in the city centre than usual and I think this made me up the pace early on. Trying to get through this busy section, mile 2 logged at a surprisingly quick 7:29. I needed to put the brakes on early. Found it hard to hit target pace for each individual mile.

Legs felt a little heavy at the start but they eventually settled in. I followed the sea past Sandymount, normally I would turn back inland on Booterstown Avenue, today I continued south a while longer, past Willow Park and Blackrock College and turned right onto Mount Merrion Avenue. A slight but steady climb for almost a mile, heavy camber on the road so stuck to the footpath. Nice to run new roads; some nice pads along here.

Turn right at the end and head down to the Radisson before joining the DCM route in reverse. Legs are fine, engine feels good. Through Clonskeagh and I follow the Dodder river-path to Milltown. More nice pads along Orwell Park. Pace is steady at the fast end of target. I descend from Rathgar through Harold's Cross to the canal. Back in familiar territory now. I run through Rialto and home. Miscalculated the distance slightly and run about a third of mile more than planned.

Felt no fade of note over the closing miles. Legs were ok afterwards although the left knee was a bit achy 24 hours later. Very surprised to weigh-in at 70.0kgs. Lost over a kilo in a week and I'm very close to dipping under 70.0kg for the first time in long time.

Total 15.35M @ 8:01 (average 144 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 3

A full week to catch up on here.

Tuesday - Easy Hour

I started the week in the usual fashion, an easy hour around my easy hour Park loop. Left knee had been complaining a little since Sunday. It was fine during and immediately after Sunday's run, but later in the evening and through Monday it protested, mostly when climbing stairs. So come Tuesday I was on alert for any unwanted feedback and probably had a slightly hesitant stride at moments. There was a presence from the knee, but no pings nor pain. I'm most alert on the Chesterfield descent but it went fine. I kept the pace honest, didn't look at the Garmin for the opening half and then made sure I wasn't travelling too fast on the second half. Starting to look more like summer in the Park. Finished my loop just 12 seconds over the hour mark.

Total 7:00 @ 8:37 (average 130 bpm)

Wednesday - 4x600 @ 3:4X Pace

Back in Athlone Wednesday evening, back on the Greenway. I was definitely nervous ahead of this one and not confident about how it would go. The last 100 of each 400 had me working last week so I was concerned about the additional 200 on each repeat this evening. A two mile warm-up. It is pretty much 600m on the button between two overhead bridges along the Greenway, giving me very clear visual markers to run between. The target for each 600 is 2:12 to 2:18.

Tonight repeats 1 and 3 were into a headwind, not very strong but definitely made itself felt. The splits reflect the same:

2:17.91

2:13.68

2:19.98

2:12.44

The first one felt ok, it was the first one and the lungs and legs were fresh. Slight tailwind for the second 600. Then the third and hardest of the evening, another headwind run but this time on slightly more worked lungs and legs. The last one was the last one and so was mentally easier to complete and the slight tail-end ensured it was the fastest of the evening. I took 300m jog recovery between repeats. Average pace across the 600s was in range, despite repeat three being a fraction too slow.

It was all over pretty quickly and I think it was easier than the 400s from last week. My award for my work, a slightly colder than luke-warm shower. I am enjoying these little sessions, less so the post session showers.

Average 600 in 2:16.00 @ 3:47 min/km (average 165 bpm)

Total 5.56M @ 8:03 (average 143 bpm)

Friday - Easy 6 Miles

First evening of the year that could be classed as a summer's evening. Bright blue sky, green leaves back on most of the trees, heat from the sun, fantastic conditions. I keep it simple, into the Park at Parkgate, straight climb to the Phoenix and back down the road on the other side.

My left knee feels much better this evening than it did earlier in the week, I think it complains more after longer runs than after faster runs. Still wary of the legs at the moment. Some inviting new tarmac on the path from the Zoo to the Phoenix. Home via Islandbridge and a tiny bit of Inchicore. Great way to tee-off the weekend.

Total 6.02M @ 8:46 (average 132 bpm)

Saturday - 2400+800 @ Sub40 10K Pace

The Hyperion Tempos felt more comfortable than normal today, maybe they're just now starting to break in. Quiet Saturday morning as I make my way across to the Polo Grounds. A little apprehensive as always but quietly confident that this will be fine. I start the 2400 section behind the Pavilion, just shy of a lap and a half. The opening 400 is a little too slow but then the Chesterfield descent brings me safely back into target range. I need to work a little on the Lords Walk Climb but after that it was fine, finish the first lap and enjoy the flatter profile before a comfortable downhill finish. I take 1200 of recovery and then a very very manageable 800 to close (also mostly downhill).

That was good, easier than expected. The 2400 was completed at 6:20 min/mile, the 800 at 6:24 min/mile (I applied brakes) I don't have any concerns ahead of 2M at this pace next weekend. Left knee was ok for this, a little bit of left hip ache on warm-up instead.

Total 6.40M @ 7:59 (average 142 bpm)

Sunday Long Run 16 Miles

My first official long-run of the year. I'm going to run these carrying some water, and take a gel every 4 miles after 8 miles. Fantastic weather for this first long run. I opt for Clontarf. Run the south quay to Customs House before crossing northside and heading for Fairview. Lots of road works make this a little tight at points, I'm happy to get to the Howth Road for some calmer running. I've started a little slower than usual today and I'm gradually building into this one, the best approach I think. It'll take a while to get used again to running with a bottle in my hand. I arrive at Raheny knowing that most of my climbing is done for the morning and I enjoy the drop down to the sea. It's warm, the sun is bright, lots of runners and cyclists, the summer is open.

I don't divert on to Bull Island today and instead just stick to the coast road. Along here I take gel number one. Trying SIS gels for the first time, lemon and mint with electrolytes, no caffiene. Easy to open, I like the taste, they maybe take up a little more space than my usual Power Gels. Did I fade near the end, no, so that's a good indication I guess. Not wanting to navigate the road works again I run the Alfie Byrne Road to East Wall, go all the way down to the Point and then follow the North Quay back to Heuston, taking gel number 2 near the Conference Centre. Home via Islandbridge.

Enjoyed that a lot. Felt strong throughout, the fantastic weather was a bonus. Legs felt ok for the rest of Sunday and my weight was 70.9kg, still in the 70s, that's the Block 4 goal.

A good week - must return to the roller next week though.

Total 16.01M @ 8:06 (average 138 bpm)

• Advertisement

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 4 Midweek

Still playing catch-up on here. I finished Block-4 last week, this is what I did in the midweek.

Tuesday Easy Hour

I opted for my usual Park Loop for this one but had decided I would run it anti-clockwise instead of clockwise. I'm a creature of habit and only after around 200m did I realise I had by default started running in the usual direction. Not going to turn around now, next time I'll remember. I have a little presence again in the left knee but otherwise the legs feel ok. I start a little slower than usual and probably only drop into easy pace range somewhere near Ordnance Survey road. Beautiful evening, the weather has definitely picked up over the last days. Once upon a time I would have been moaning about training for months in the cold only for the temperatures to soar ahead of marathon day down in Cork.

Total 7.04M @ 8:37 (average 134 bpm)

Wednesday 3x800 @ 3:4X pace

Despite this looking very easy on paper I was feeling nervous as I got closer to the 800s. The confidence from last week's 600s had faded. I selected the southern path along the Playing Fields for this one. Weather was bright and warm. I stopped for a few seconds ahead of the first 800, paced a little and just got into the correct frame of mind. I get to work.

Target time for the 800s is between 2:56 and 3:03. Half distance recovery between reps.

First 800 is from Acres to the Fort and has a tailwind. I start too fast and gradually need to drop the pace throughout the rep. Not as difficult as I feared but the effort levels did increase over the final 200. Time 2:56.17.

Second 800 is much tougher, into a headwind. Lungs working for the final 300 or so. Happy to finish. Time 3:03.62.

Final 800 is wind assisted again. It feels ok and as usual just knowing that it is the last one helps me keep honest. Lungs working for last 200. Time 2:58.49.

Wouldn't have been very keen on a forth 800 into the wind. Headed home to cheer on Milan in the semi-finals :(

Average 800 in 2:59.43 that's 3:44 pace (average 166 bpm)

Total 5.58M @ 8:16 (average 143 bpm)

Friday Easy 10K

Incredible weather, rich blue sky, warm sun, warm air. I run my new 10K route and enjoy the Friday evening mood around the War Memorial Gardens, up the Khyber, along Chesterfield and around the Polo Grounds. The legs aren't as light as the mood, but at least the left knee isn't complaining too much this evening. Two more runs to go to complete this block (on target hopefully) and then a well timed down-week to focus on some roller and powerband time.

Total 6.31M @ 8:41 (average 132 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 4 Weekend

I brought Block-4 to a close last weekend.

Saturday 7+ Miles with 2M @ Sub40 10K Pace

Fantastic weather. I'm down in Cork for the weekend. There is a new very wide pedestrian/cycle path running from North Esk down to Little Island. Not hilly (but does have subtle inclines I discover) smooth tarmac and separated from the main road. Perfect for anything speedy, better than running out and back along the Tivoli footpath.

Plan is simple, a mile out along the patch and a mile back, all at sub40 10K pace. This is the final box to tick to allow me exit from Block-4. Legs are a little heavy during the warm-up, though it features two steep climbs. Bright sun and it's hot when I hit the lap button by North Esk. First half of the first mile is ok, need to ease up a little, but then the profile starts to incline and the legs notice it and all of a sudden I need to work. Tell myself that once I get to the turnaround I'll have the profile in my favour again. I turn by the bus stop just before the road rises again toward the Little Island exit.

Lose a bit of momentum with the 180. Then yes the effort is slightly easier on the return but checking the Garmin I see 4:01 pace showing. Oops I need to push. Working and feeling the heat. The Garmin signals that I am back in target range again. Lungs working a bit. Then I realise that the last half mile or so is going to be slightly uphill now. Great. The Garmin is showing 3:58 so I'm on track. I keep the effort honest and I don't think for a moment that I will not hit target pace. Happy to finish the final 400m and catch my breath, heart beating in temples, it's hot on the tarmac.

Only afterwards do I see that I came very close to slipping outside target. Final time for the 2M is 12:48.23 with a high heartrate of 169 bpm. Rounded up the pace is 3:59 min/km [6:24 min/mile]. If I had known then I know I could have pushed more if need be. Close call all the same.

Total 7.90M @ 8:20 (average 146 bpm)

Sunday 15+ Miles @ Long Run Pace

Not so bright hot and sunny on Sunday morning. Muggy, overcast and drizzly instead. Happy to run on Sunday in Cork for a change.

The first half is very hilly, with some steep climbs. First of which is on mile 2, up Church Hill. The climb, less severe, continues to Mayfield. I knew beforehand that I would be behind target (8:00 to 8:15 pace) over the opening miles and that is how it played out. Another climb from Mayfield to Montenotte but then there is a nice stretch of downhill, pretty much all the way down to Leeside in town. One final testing climb up Sunday's Well and that is 99% of the climbing over.

I turn over the bridge after the Mardyke and start the flat section through town out by the Port and following the Lee along Tivoli back to Glanmire. Average pace falls into range and some miles are logging a little too quick. Feel a hint of fatigue over the final 2 miles but I do finish comfortably. No unwanted feedback from the legs this morning and I'm generally happy with run. Happy to have completed Block-4 successfully, and happy to have a down-week now to rest up a little and let the legs absorb the work they've completed. Things will get interesting in Block-5.

Total 15.26M @ 8:07 (average 138 bpm)

Downweek between Blocks 4 and 5.

Last week was a downweek. My left knee has stopped protesting so I think it appreciated some down time, particularly the absence of a Sunday long run.

Wednesday 17 May - Very Easy 5K

Overcast and muggy, hopefully not a sign of what June and July will bring. Opening the down-week with a very easy trot around Inchicore and back. No looking at the Garmin throughout and enjoying not needing to chase any sort of target pace. Left knee was fine but the right knee provided a few faint pings. Slow, short and a relaxed heartrate.

Total 3.14M @ 9:01 (average 122 bpm)

Friday 19 May - Easy 10K

Up Infirmary Road and around the outside of the Park as far as The Hole in the Wall. Another muggy one. When I finished work I was in autopilot and laced up in my Glycerin 19s by mistake. I retired them a couple of months ago but I've been wearing them as my day to day shoe and they're resting just inside the front door. My footfall did feel strange but I didn't think too much of it. Some light feedback from the knees. Heading down Acres I stick to the grass and do the same turning left for the Fort.

Only when I got home did I realise I'd unwittingly unretired the Glycerin 19s.

Total 6.25M @ 8:41 (average 132 bpm)

Saturday 20 May - 6x400 @ 3:4X pace

Kept the legs honest and awake during the downweek with this solitary session, 6x400 @ 3:4X pace. The south side of the Playing Fields my elected venue. Some kids football games happening on either side so I got to dash back and forth past watching parents. It's 400m from the path at the bottom of Acres to the start of the first copse of trees.

These feel more comfortable than the 6x400 session a few weeks back, not easy easy but never struggling to hit target (apart from the 2nd interval where I misjudged pace on the first 200). Legs felt good and lungs were responding well. I could have run another 2 if required, that'll come in Block-6, all going well. Splits were:

1:29.58

1:30.44

1:28.99

1:30.10

1:29.87

1:28.26

That's an average of 1:29.54, 3:44 min/km and an average 165 bpm. Splits were a little faster than last time out, heartrate a little higher even though it felt easier. Cool down back home ahead of the rugby (after 90mins dialled on for work).

Total 6.35M @ 8:20 (average 140 bpm)

Sunday 21 May - Easy 10K

Went off-road for most of this one. Across the 15 Acres past the Cross towards Furze. Swung left around a copse of trees and stopped to check out an old marker stone on the ground half hidden by grass, "No 41, Oak and Larch, Planted 1897". I wonder how many more curiosities like this are scattered around the mark. Legs were a little heavy at the outset, but they loosened out and it was nice to be running alone in the middle of Acres with just the sound of starlings for company. Skirt around the perimeter of St Mary's and head for the Fort and home. Enjoyed that. That's 20 weeks of this 50 week rebuild completed. Next up Block-5.

Total 6.23M @ 8:52 (average 134 bpm)

Block 5 - Week 1

Work has gone manic over the last while and I'm falling behind on here. Need to bring things up to speed regarding Block 5. I'll try update a week every night over the next 3 nights.

This is the first block where I have genuine concerns about whether or not I will tick all boxes. The goals for Block-5 are:

·       Continue to run 40-45 miles a week

·       Repeat my long run of 16 Miles

·       Run 6 Miles at sub 3 marathon pace

·       Run 5K @ sub40 10K pace (i.e. run a sub 20:00 5K)

It's this final goal that has me worried, I'm not 100% convinced I'm back to sub 20 5K form yet. If I fall short and fail to break 20 I'll need to repeat block 5, so be it. Possibly I will opt to try for sub 20 at a Park Run, I'll see.

Tuesday May 23 - Easy 5 Miles - Total 5.02M @ 8:32 (average 135 bpm)

Fantastic summer weather this evening as I get block 5 underway. Legs feeling generally ok. No left knee feedback. I take in an ascent of the Khyber, a descent down Acres and a return home along Chapelizod Road. An easy opener for the block.

Wednesday May 24 - 4x1200 @ Sub40 10K Pace - Total 8.28M @ 7:48 (average 146 bpm)

First test of the block. Headed out for this one after another long desk-bound working day. I anticipated that effort levels would be high, I typically run this pace much better in the mornings. I also got my shoes wrong again (I blame work distractions), I wear the Glycerins instead of the Tempos. Perfect conditions for the session, mild and still. I feel like I have the park mostly to myself. The Polo Grounds road loop is my chosen venue.

The first of the four 1200s is maybe the toughest, it takes time to find and settle into target pace. My first Garmin warning is a too slow alert, so I'm ready for a tough evening, instead once I do find target pace the intervals are easy to manage. The Glycerins are actually quite comfortable, providing a level of bounce and a smooth ride.

The 1200s are completed in:

4:45.33 (161 bpm) 3:58 min/km

4:43.92 (165 bpm) 3:57 min/km

4:41.45 (166 bpm) 3:55 min/km

4:44.13 (166 bpm) 3:57 min/km

Pleased with these. Easy running now until Sunday.

Friday May 26 - Easy 10K - Total 6.34M @ 8:29 (average 134 bpm)

Another fantastic sunny evening to start the weekend. It took a while for the legs to warm into this one, they felt heavy and tired over the opening, mostly uphill, three miles. Then they came alive for the closing, mostly downhill three miles, so much so that I ended up running a fraction faster than easy pace for the 10K. Took in the WMG, the Khyber, the Polo Grounds, all looking well in the evening sunshine. Proper summer running.

Saturday May 27 - Easy 10K - Total 6.26M @ 8:25 (average 134 bpm)

Back to back easy sunny 10Ks. Take in the Chapelizod tow path on this one. Lots out enjoying the weather. This run is just about keeping the legs ticking over ahead of tomorrow's 6M at Sub3 MP. Like yesterday evening though I end up running a little faster than intended, logging 8:25 pace for the run. It felt easy and heartrate was 134, like Friday evening. Using my runs right now to get into a good mental place ahead of two very busy working weeks.

Sunday May 27 - 14M with 6M @ Sub3 MP - Total 14.24M @ 7:33 (average 147 bpm)

I opted for laps for this one. I'd run the 6M section clockwise around the Furze, OS, Chesterfield Loop. It would be around 3 and a half laps. The sun is out again. Legs felt ok on warm-up. I start lapping by the second tree at the start of Furze. It takes a while to establish pace. A Dad is talking to his kid about running and points to me on lap one '... like that man ...'. On lap two the kid suggests to his Dad that I would win the race, his Dad agrees. My newest fans!

I feel generally ok. The OS section, slightly uphill, is the hardest part of the Loop. I settle into a steady rhythm and there is very little variation in pace. I feel the effort levels increase a little from lap 3, but nothing of concern. The 6M is completed in 40:21 @ 6:44 pace, the equivalent of a 2:56:XX marathon finish. Heartrate was 164 bpm, I'd hoped for a little lower, but it is warm. Happy to have passed this first test of Block 5 and enjoy the cool-down home to bring up 14 miles for the day.

I'll post about Block 5, Week 2 tomorrow.

Block 5 - Week 2

Spent Monday through Friday in Athlone. All day workshops, early starts, early prep, post workshop debriefs. Running a welcome tonic.

Monday May 29 - Easy Hour - Total 7.05M @ 8:31 (average 135 bpm)

An easy hour to open week 2. Legs were a little sluggish to start with but warmed into it. I'd been up since before 6. Headed from the town centre out the Dublin Road to the Creggan Hotel, through the IDA Park, and looped back into town along the Ballymahon Road. All under glorious warm sunshine. How long can this weather last? Judged the route and pace well, finishing back where I started after exactly an hour (and 7 seconds). Quick shower and grabbed some last orders pub grub in the hotel.

Thursday June 01 - 4x600 @ 3:4X Pace - Total 6.61M @ 8:28 (average 148 bpm)

I had scheduled this one for Wednesday evening, but work and post work meal meant I had no window. Up at 5:50 to log-on, all day meetings, I was really tired come evening and didn't know what to expect from this. Into the Tempos and I head for the Greenway. I warm up as far as the bridges by Garrycastle. I know from a recent session that these are 600m apart, providing a perfect visual of how much ground I still need to cover during each interval.

As is the new norm, it is still, sunny, hot and heavy. With some trepidation I hit lap on the Garmin to get the session proper underway. It goes well. I am certain the Garmin mis-measured the 3rd interval, it flashed high 3:5X early on even though I know I was travelling at the same speed as the other 3 intervals, and so I needed to push hardest on the 3rd interval to record my slowest time. I didn't detect any great difference in effort depending on the direction of the 600. Splits were as follows:

2:13.93 (165 bpm) 3:43 min/km

2:13.95 (168 bpm) 3:43 min/km

2:21.84 (169 bpm) 3:56 min/km (Garmin glitch I'm convinced)

2:13.49 (169 bpm) 3:42 min/km

That's an average 600 of 2:15.80 (168 bpm) 3:46 min/km

Apart from the Garmin skewing my average I am happy with this session, especially considering how sleepy and mentally drained I felt. Hopefully a day less of recovery won't negatively impact too much on my Saturday morning run.

Friday June 02 - Easy 4+ Miles - Total 4.44M @ 8:37 (average 134 bpm)

Travelled back from Athlone in the afternoon. Laced up for a relaxed short easy run in a sunny Park. The Park's not too busy this evening, likely that people are travelling for the long weekend. I take in a loop around the Papal Cross and a descent down the Khyber. I'd expected the legs to be tired and heavy, instead they were surprisingly light and responsive. Bodes well for tomorrow.

Saturday June 03 - 2400+(2x1200) @ Sub40 10K Pace - Total 7.95M @ 7:46 (average 146 bpm)

Travelled to Cork early Saturday morning. Had 2 glasses too many of wine the night before. The combination of vino, an early rise and more sun and heat meant this one wasn't a lot of fun. I opted for the Tivoli Road rather than North Esk as I was stuck for time and this would be a little shorter. Start the session proper by the Vienna Woods Hotel. The opening 800m are encouraging but once I cross by the roundabout and start heading townwards along the dual-carriageway the effort starts to increase. I wonder if having some downhill and uphill built into my usual Polo Grounds Loop, means running at this pace on a flatter route feels more difficult. The 2400 ends close to Silver Springs Hotel. I continue in the same direction for 600m turn around and after another 600m recovery I start the 1200s. These are more manageable than the 2400 and possibly there is a little wind assistance involved. I had to stay focused and honest to ensure I didn't drop slower than target. Pleased to finish this session.

2400m in 9:28.29 (146 bpm) 3:57 min/km (I think the bpm were higher)

1200m in 4:45.33 (172 bpm) 3:58 min/km

1200m in 4:45.49 (173 bpm) 3:58 min/km

With this heat I really don't envy anyone running CCM23 tomorrow.

Sunday June 04 - 15M @ long run pace - Total 15.02M @ 8:02 (average 143 bpm)

Even though I last raced in Cork back in 2017, it still feels strange not to be racing in CCM, full nor half. At least today I was running simultaneously with the marathon. Another scorcher. To avoid clashing with the marathon I head east of the city, and out and back following the Cork-2-Cobh route. New cycle/pedestrian paths have been built along here, wider than the road in parts. It's great for running, separated by kerbing and dense banks of wild-flowers from the road. There is however very little shade and the sun is a factor in this morning's run. It's 7.5 miles out and this brings me just beyond the gates of Fota Resort Hotel (lots of hotels on my runs this week). Sun or no sun I feel good and I'm really enjoying this one. I'm particularly pleased to see average pace drop into the high 7:5Xs on the return leg, I don't notice any increase in effort, stride feels fluid and natural. I apply the brakes when mile 10 logs at 7:38. And gradually, over the closing miles, I bring the pace back into range.

There follows some cliff walking and beach time in Waterford in the afternoon, no complaints from the legs. I do sleep well Sunday night.

I'll post about Block 5, Week 3 tomorrow.

Block 5 - Week 3

Still catching up.

Monday June 05 - Easy 4 Miles - Total 4.07M @ 8:32 (average 130 bpm)

After a morning 15 miler I'd spent Sunday afternoon hiking around some cliffs down in Waterford, so I wasn't entirely surprised to be running on tired legs Monday morning. Another scorcher. Kept this easy and short. I did have to navigate one steep hill along the back road back to Riverstown and wondered how did I ran this at 8:00ish pace yesterday on mile 14 of 15. Ran a new road to take a slightly longer route back to Brooklodge. Last Cork run for a bit.

Wednesday June 07 - 3x800 @ 3:4X pace - Total 8.36M @ 8:07

Last week I was working out of Athlone, this week I'm out of Limerick. Same hot blue sky weather. I run from town out to UL, I was going to risk the track if it wasn't too busy, it was busy. Not to worry there are some playing grounds right alongside the track, the loop around them is a mix of grit track and a hard grassy perimeter, and the Garmin measures a lap pretty much 800m on the button.

Maybe the Garmin was a little flattering measuring pace on this loop. The splits were better than I'd expected, and my average pace was sub 6:00 minute miling, first time I've done that in a while. The first lap was comfortable. The second lap less so as I needed to push after a slower than planned start, and the final lap was 'fine'.

Sit on an embankment afterwards to catch my breath and watch the many people out walking, running or prepping for ball sports, nice summer evening atmosphere. Slow run back to town.

2:55.04 @ 3:39 (162 bpm)

3:01.57 @ 3:47 (169 bpm)

2:56.57 @ 3:41 (166 bpm)

Average 800 in 2:57.56 @ 3:42 (166 bpm)

Friday June 09 - Easy 10K - Total 6.22M @ 8:31 (average 133 bpm)

An early morning Limerick run before getting the train back to Dublin. Ran a little more relaxed as the heavy lifting for work of these last two weeks is over and I'm heading into a long weekend. I misjudged my route for this one and ended up running a little further than planned. Brought up 10K, which meant a quicker shower, pack, check-out and walk to the station. The legs felt loose on this run, and I also needed to apply some brakes near the end.

Saturday June 10 - 3600+1200 @ Sub40 10K Pace - Total 8.10M @ 7:44 (average 145 bpm)

Not ideal preparation for this, Friday with its early 10K, a train to Dublin, a busy enough day's work, a trek across town to St.Anne's for Pulp, hours on my feet, a few beers (not too many) and late to bed. I expected the Running Gods would teach me a lesson. Instead this one went really well.

I had a Polo match to keep my company as I lapped the Polo Road Loop. The opening 3600 felt easier than last week's 2400, and easier than the 2M at this pace at the end of Block 4. I ran the 3600 in 14:09, that's 6:20 min/mile pace. The 1200, after 1800 recovery, was very manageable, completed in 4:42, that's 6:18 min/mile.

This is a timely confidence boost ahead of next Saturday's 5K Sub20 attempt. I had had genuine concerns after recent Saturday performances, this run instead made me believe I am back to sub 20min 5K form. Tip back home feeling good.

Sunday June 11 - Long Run 16M - Total 16.07M @ 7:58 (average 144 bpm)

Sunday's long run saw me complete my best weekend of running of the year to date. Sun is out again, and it's hot. I get started just before 10am. Equipped with two Lemon & Lime Power Bar Gels, and 500mls of water. I may invest in a running belt with a pouch for water, I'm finding it uncomfortable carrying a bottle in my hand.

My route is a repeat of my previous 16 miler, out to Raheny and back along the Clontarf Seafront, left to East Link and follow the Liffey back home.

Unusually I hit target pace on mile 1. Then I run 6 consecutive miles too fast. I do try to ease of slightly, especially after posting a 7:38 on mile 4, but I keep dipping into the 7:5Xs. First gel after mile 8. The taste of the Power Bars takes me back immediately to marathon racing. The heat is intense along the water front, air heavy and humid and I start to seek out some shade. I stop to take a photo of the Moai statue at Clontarf (gifted from Chile and made from actual Easter Island volcanic rock).

It's hot but drier as I get back into town. I'm managing to post more on-target miles now, but not enough, I finish with a total average pace of 7:58. It felt good, hopefully the legs won't react negatively next week.

The battery on the scales is dying so I'm not certain the 69.1kg it is reporting is accurate or not, it could be, I lost a lot of liquid this morning. If it is accurate it's the first time I've weighed sub 70 in several years. Happy with this, especially considering it comes after 2 weeks of mostly non home-cooking.

Ready now for Week 4 and the key test of the year so far, a sub 20min 5K attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Best of luck with the 5k sub 20 attempt!

Thanks, you can read all about it in the next post ...

Block 5 - Week 4

This was a key week of the rebuild. The first week where I don't feel hugely confident that I will tick off the last box required to allow me move to the next block.

Tuesday June 13 - Easy 10K - Total 6.36M @ 8:32 (average 134 bpm)

Start the week on tired legs. An early ascent of Infirmary Road doesn't help. Sun is out and it's hot, again. Quick loo break at the start of North Road. Legs start to wake up when I turn left by Ratra House and start descending toward the Phoenix and down Acres to Chapelizod. Need to focus to ensure I don't run too fast. Finish a little over 10K. Final week underway.

Wednesday June 14 - 6x400 @ 3:4X Pace - Total 6.14M @ 8:26 (average 136 bpm)

If last Saturday's Polo Ground's run boosted my confidence, this evening's 400s dented it. Admittedly I have a slight head cold so maybe I am not operating at maximum. Bright blue sky and warm sun over the Playing Fields. Struggle to build up enthusiasm ahead of this, just want to get it over with. I run it from where the Acre's path meets the lower path: 400m towards the Fort, 200m turnaround recovery then 400m back. As always there are some football games in progress to help keep me distracted.

Already on the second 400 it's feeling more like hard work than I'd expected, another 4 intervals feels like a lot. I try maximize the 200m of recovery between 400s. The effort doesn't get easier as the session progresses, but all the same I see afterwards that each split is faster than the previous. I feel flat footed, heavy and lacking required energy. I get the session done, finishing sweaty and salty. This felt harder than 3:4X pace. I must try run one of these interval sessions on a track and get a better feel for my 400m pace.

Concerned now ahead of Saturday's 5K Sub20 attempt.

Splits were:

1:31.83 (3:50 min/km) bpm 145

1:30.88 (3:47 min/km) bpm 159

1:30.26 (3:46 min/km) bpm 162

1:30.09 (3:45 min/km) bpm 163

1:29.98 (3:45 min/km) bpm 163

1:28.86 (3:42 min/km) bpm 164

Average 1:30.32 (3:46 min/mile) bpm 159

Friday June 16 - Easy 5+ Miles - Total 5.72M @ 8:36 (average 132 bpm)

Start the weekend with a heavy legged climb up the Khyber and on to the Hole in The Wall. Legs are tired again, I really hope they carry more zip tomorrow. A descent down Black Horse Avenue manages to wake them up a little. Back into the Park at NCR Gate and back out at Park-Gate. Pride race on in the Park later and I pass quite a few runners making there way towards it.

Some sawdust like material is all over the path down to Park Gate, makes for a comfortable footfall. Home and take it easy for the evening.

Saturday June 17 - 5K @ Sub40 10K pace [19:41] - Total 7.18M @ 7:46 (average 145 bpm)

I'm happy to wake on Saturday morning to generally wet and fresh conditions. Lace up the Tempos and head for the Polo Grounds Road Loop.

I had at one point considered running a Parkrun this morning, but after last Saturday's encouraging run I opted to stick with this Loop.

Genuinely not sure how this is going to go. On my way up Lords Walk I'm thinking that the next three times I make this ascent will be in anger. There is a small group of Donore runners on the Polo field lap, I wave, feeling surprisingly encouraged by their presence. I'm just anxious to get going now. I approach my starting line behind the Pavilion, send a prayer to the Running Gods and I hit start on the Garmin.

Splash, splash, splash, I like the sound of my footfall. I dial in pace pretty quickly and it feels about right, not too quick, not too slow. I feel good on the first Chesterfield descent and carry momentum into the first Lord's Walk Climb. I push a little on the climb, not wanting the Garmin to sound a too slow alert. It doesn't sound and I pass behind the Pavilion for the first time, on target.

Effort levels are raised a bit but not too much during the second lap. A similar pattern, feeling ok on Chesterfield, not applying brakes on the descent and then trying to carry the momentum onto Lord's Walk again. A second ascent without a 'too slow' alert. I finish lap two working but feeling confident.

Final lap. Some concern that something will happen and I will leak speed, mental games. Cruise down Chesterfiedl. I turn onto Lord's Walk for one final ascent. I ensure I stay honest, pushing a little. Working but not hanging on. The finishing line is in sight, splash around the final corner and run strong to behind the Pavilion. The Garmin sounds the end of the 5K. I know I've broken 20min, very satisfying.

Rounding up I completed the 5K in 19:41, travelling at 3:56 min/km [6:19 min/mile] and with an average 167 bpm.

I enjoyed this. I didn't just scrape under 20min but did it with almost 20 seconds to spare. This makes me happier about moving onto Block-6, I'm ready. If I had been racing today I believe I would have gone sub 19:30. But 5K racing is a while away yet.

Sunday June 18 - 15M (@ long run pace) - Total 15.02M @ 8:03 (average 133 bpm)

I finish block 5, and week 24 of this 50 week Rebuild on Sunday morning. I had set out planning on following my Irishtown-Booterstown-Clonskeagh route but I only got as far as Irishtown before having to turn 180. The Gingerbread Man had come calling and I couldn't risk running further away from home. I retrace my steps home, by which time the threat had passed. I run past home and just head to the Park. A lap of the Playing Fields and then I work my way back home again via Inchicore and SCR.

Legs felt good, pace was near the faster end of target range and I'm happy with an average bpm of 133. The weighing scales, still with fading battery, show 70.4kg. I think that feels about right.

Ok - a welcome downweek now before starting into Block 6 of 10.

Last week was a Down-week

Last week, a down-week, was week 25 of this 50 week rebuild plan. Halfway there.

Tuesday 20 June - Easy 5K - Total 3.18M @ 8:56 (average 127 bpm)

Start this down-week with an easy 5K around my usual 5K loop, only run clockwise instead of anti-clockwise, for a change. Distracted when getting ready and without thinking I lace up the Brooks that are lying inside the front door. Only after a flatfooted kilometre or two do I realise my mistake. Need to pay more attention, I again blame work.

The run went fine, the legs felt ok. Didn't look at the watch throughout, apart from my interval session, that is the beauty of down-weeks, I am in no way slave to the Garmin.

Thursday 22 June - Easy 4 Miles - Total 4.07M @ 8:50 (average 125 bpm)

A rare pre-work run. This evening junior outforarun and her classmates will have their films screened at school so no evening running. Despite the early hour it's warm out. I run out along the Chapelizod Road, into the Park at Chapelizod Gate and then back to Islandbridge Gate via the S-Bends. Nice to have the Park mostly to myself. Legs were a little tired on the opening mile but warmed into the run after that, felt ok.

Saturday 24 June - 4x600 @ 3:4X Pace - Total 5.68M @ 8:15 (average 143 bpm)

Keeping the legs alive on this down-week I run a 4x600 session around the Playing Fields. I didn't fancy 600s back and forth along the lower path so opted instead to run these, however they fell, as I ran clockwise around the Playing Fields. I started at my usual start spot, the second bicycle graphic on the path up Acres. Splits were as follows:

2:15.30 @ 3:45 min/km (160 bpm)

2:17.50 @ 3:49 min/km (162 bpm)

2:15.97 @ 3:47 min/km (168 bpm)

2:14.60 @ 3:44 min/km (170 bpm)

Average 600 in 2:15.84 @ 3:46 min/km (average 165 bpm)

This felt considerably easier than my recent 6x400 session, despite the day's hot and humid conditions. I think that not being sure where the 600 will end helps keeps me going. I can trick myself into thinking that I don't have a lot left to run on each 600, impossible to do that on a measured track or on an out and back strip. This is the last 4X600 session of the Block, it becomes (5x600)+200 next time out

Busy rest of day includes a concert out at Malahide, but the legs were fine throughout, no post-run protests.

Sunday 25 June - Easy 8 Miles - Total 8.07M @ 8:22 (average 130 bpm)

A simple lap of the Park after a later than usual rise on Sunday morning. Travel around anti-clockwise. I again make a point of not checking the Garmin, checking it only at the end of the run, where I am very pleased to see an average 130 bpm, especially after last night's late finish.

Legs performed much better that I'd anticipated.

That is that for this down-week. 25 Weeks signed off, another 25 to complete.

I plan to post about Block 6 Week 1 tomorrow, and then be back on track for Block 6 Week 2.

Rebuild Block 6 - Week 1

25 weeks down, 25 weeks to go. I started the second half of this Rebuild attempt last week.

A new block brings new goals:

• increase weekly mileage to 45-50M
    • increase long-run to 18M
    • run 10M @ MP
    • add 800m to my interval sessions: they will become 8x400, (5x600)+200, 4x800. Still targeting 3:4X pace.
    • run 4M @ Sub40 10K Pace

That's a healthy amount of boxes to tick before I can exit to Block 7. Last time I reached this juncture I stumbled on that final bullet, but I moved to Block 7 anyway, this time round I won't allow that. And this time round it is again that final bullet that causes me most concern.

Tuesday 27 June - Easy Hour - Total 7.06M @ 8:30 (average 139 bpm)

Block 6 starts after work last Tuesday. I'm still more likely to run 5 days a week than 6 days a week, that means an average run distance of 9M. On 5 day weeks my shortest run is likely to be a 10K now.

I start with an easy hour on my Phoenis easy hour loop. Just for novelty I opt to run it anti-clockwise rather than clockwise. So I navigate a Chesterfield ascent and a Glen Road descent. I have a very slight sensation in my right hammer, hopefully a thing of nothing. Hard to settle into target pace. Only three of the 7 miles fell inside easy range. The run felt easy despite running right at the fast end of range (8:30 min/mile) so I was a little surprised to see 139 as average bpm.

Wednesday 28 June - 4x1M @ Sub40 10K pace - Total 8.81M @ 7:27 (average 149 bpm)

I had today off and so managed to run this one in the morning, a far more appealing prospect than tackling this after a day sitting at the desk. Strangely I wasn't too worried ahead of this, I normally have doubts during my warm-up. I head to the Polo Grounds Road Loop. Usual drill hitting start at my line in the ground behind the Pavilion.

As always the first couple feel harder than the second couple. The mile splits were 6:18, 6:18, 6:20, 6:20. I ran these off half distance recovery. The legs felt ok. I like to build up some momentum going down Chesterfield and try carry it up Lord's Walk. I have a race with a truck on the final ascent, the speed bumps giving me an advantage but he pipped me over the final 200m. Pleased with the morning's work, but it will take some effort to piece these intervals into one 4M run by the end of this block.

Friday 30 June - Easy 10K - Total 6.22M @ 8:27 (average 132 bpm)

Out after work for the first of two easy efforts before Sunday's MP run. I run my new Friday after work 10K route. Into the WMG via Inchicore Road. Follow the river back to Islandbridge. A Khyber ascent. Descend from the Phoenix roundabout down Chesterfield. Turn left to pass behind the Polo Pavilion and out onto North Road. Average pace is a little higher than prescribed and I apply the brakes, but I daydream and the pace creeps up again. Down Infirmary, up the Luas tracks after Heuston. Turn right past Jame's, over the Camac and home. Legs behaved. Pace was faster than planned @ 8:27 but average bpm was 132.

Saturday 01 July - Easy Hour - Total 7.05M @ 8:31 (average 125 bpm)

Decided on an out-and-back for this one. Headed through a quiet IMMA and then up through Kilmainham before joining the canal at Suir Road. Followed the canal until 30mins showed on the Garmin. This brought me as far as Leeson Bridge.

Lots of runners out this morning. The out 30mins felt easy and it was hard to stay inside easy range, As suspected, when I turn 180 to retrace by steps home I have a light to moderate headwind greeting me. This is fine, it will help me slow down.

It's a long stretch back along the canal. Happy to get to the shelter of IMMA and finish back where I started, pretty much on the stroke of the hour. I am very pleased with an average of 125 bpm for this run.

Walked Greystones to Bray cliff walk in the afternoon. Needed to clamber over, under and around a few gates along the way. Only when getting to Bray do we see signs saying the walk is shut due to a rockslide. Discover later that it has been shut for 2 years! Still had walkers (and runners) going in both directions.

Sunday 02 July - Long Run 16M with 10M @ MP - Total 16.07M @ 7:34 (average 149 bpm)

Water ready, gels ready, 10M of MP running plugged into this long run on the Garmin. Conditions are generally ok, nothing like the heat I had to deal with along the Clontarf sea-front on my last 16 miler. I was looking forward to this one and the legs felt ok after yesterday's run and cliff walk.

I'd keep this inside the Park. I run from Islandbridge Gate up behind the zoo and along North Road, noting a stiff headwind along here. I allow myself a fast start to the MP section by hitting the lap button after 4 Miles at the start of OS Road. Target pace for the 10M is between 4:23 and 4:30 min/km.

I start too fast and ease off over the opening couple of miles. Enjoy the favourable profile down Glen Road. First climb is from Chapelizod Gate up to the S-Bends. Pace feels ok. Another descent down to the base of the Khyber before tackling the long drag past the zoo and back along North Road. I take my eye off the Garmin along here, there is a slight but steady climb and the wind is against me, I take first of two gels, I also have to check my stride on a few occasions as some dogs veer right in front of me. When I do check the Garmin again it is showing an average of 4:29 min/km. I up the pace for the rest of North Road and then enjoy a slight drop along OS Road as I complete the lap.

I swing left onto Furze, the Garmin now showing 4:28, the wind is with me along Furze and I exit onto Chesterfield travelling at 4:26 pace. I descend to the Phoenix and swing down to the Playing Fields where I plan on lapping clockwise until I finish the 10M. The winds are south westerly so I get a boost up Acres. It only takes a lap and a half to bring up 10M. Done, 10M in 1:11:30, average pace 7:09min/mile with an average 157 bpm. Hold that pace for 26.2M and I'd have a 3:07 marathon.

Weighed in at 70.0kg on the button.

First box of Block 6 ticked off. First time running a 45 mile week in quiet some time. As I type over 24 hours later my legs feel fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement