Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah.

"Don't get your country embroiled in costly foreign wars."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russia has 1046 attack aircraft in their airforce not including bombers and helicopters,

Ukraine had a total of 97 attack aircraft.

The Ukrainan airforce should have been wiped out in the first ten minutes of the invasion they are pretty much outnumbered 10-1 in every aspect,

Ukraine could never have air superiority against Russia no matter how good their propaganda is ,but no one can explain how and why Russia hasn't gotten air superiority especially early on , when there wasn't an abundant supply of air defense systems and manpads available to Ukraine, they still have the ability to overwhelm the Ukrainan air defenses between cruise missiles, ballistic missiles and attack aircraft,

The lack of any large scale air assaults can't be explained away , earlier on we seen a few low level dog fights which went ukraines way but by the looks of things at the time Russian aircraft didn't fly with air 2 air missles , which left them at distinct disadvantage, along with pilots having to use off the shelf gps units along with pen and paper maps to find ground targets at low level and low speeds ,once your flying in those situations the moment an aircraft has his missles or guns on your tail your dead , you've no weapons to fight with and your flying at low level and speed, there's not a lot of manuvering you can get away with,

As I said earlier during the two Iraq wars the US and coalition had hundreds of aircraft flying for several nights taking out command and control centers,air defenses ,air bases , aircraft, vehicles

We've seen next to nothing from the Russian airforce, even this week two aircraft over the black sea firing missles towards Odessa,it makes zero sense to what and why they are doing it,

There has to be a good explanation. The video posted on the page before could be one for example. Surely we're not to believe that the Russians are literally so inept that they're not even aware of all this supposed air superiority they possess. 'cause if that truly is the case, the Russians aren't just inept or corrupt or disorganised etc. That would make them literally pants-on-head retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Horse manure. That isn't remotely the issue. If you think the Orcs having 3,562 aircraft vs Ukraine's 271 isn't air suiperiority, well nothing I say can sway you.

They aren't gone. I believe the commander of the Orc air force has a singular and unique ability to keep his boys out of it, for the most part, probably by arguing greater exigencies related to border protection, China, US, upity regions...

Just today:

"It all started in the evening, when the enemy attacked Odesa region. Two Kh-59 missiles were destroyed. Also, the attack continued from the north of our country, about 10 Su-35 planes, Russia's newest fighters, attacked the Sumy region with guided air bombs. This is an extremely big threat when guided air bombs, glide bombs can fly far, and planes do not enter the zone of damage of our anti-aircraft defense. Thus, more than 10 of these guided bombs attacked objects in the Sumy region. The losses are being clarified there, they will be announced by the military "administrations," Ignat said.

Ukraine can do nothing about these planes, as their youngest, prior to the Polish and Slovakian ones that just arrived, was built in 1991. They simply can not intercept or challenge the Orcs more modern planes as they have relatively archaic radar and missiles, commparatively, and attrociously short range and fuel capacity. I saw a claim within the past week that Ukraine has lost around 60 aircraft in the past year. A former USAF Mig-29 pilot who flew them for 2.5 years says they are commpletely outclassed in BVR engagements, but can hold their own in a dogfight briefly, as they have terrible fuel and range issues - 150 mi combat radius for air intercept - pffft!

I am not in the least bit excited by the Polish and Slovakian Mig-29 donations, and neither are the Ukrainians. A handful more of the same inferior and outclassed planes they already have changes nothing.

They need an air-power cpability upgrade in the same way HIMARS gave them an artillery upgrade.

If the Orcs ever decide to risk a lot of planes to overwhelm and take out Ukraines scant few air defences, they could reverse the current tide of the war.

A brief list of just a few of the idiots like me who think Ukraine should receive modern Western fighters:

General Ben Hodges ret.

General David Petraeus ret., former Director of the CIA

Admiral James G. Stavridis, former commander-in-chief of NATO forces in Europe.

General Christopher G. Cavoli, Supreme commander of NATO in Europe.

"We're very lucky they're so fu​cking stupid"

• Advertisement

Doesnt matter if you have 20000 aircraft if you dont have enough trained pilots,thats how simple it is

And that training includes not only air combat,but also ground support,SEAD and DEAD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So how would Ukraine intercept Russian planes (within Russia) with western jets?

It's pretty obvious if Ukraine were to receive western jets, they wouldn't be flying sorties within Russia.

Western jets won't prevent Russia from lobbing bombs or missiles from Russia into Ukraine.

Would you have a reference for the Orc pilot numbers?

But still 1056 attack aircraft vs 97 and they are still flying,

It's not down to an apparent lack of pilots,. even if they only had 500 of those aircraft with pilots they still have 5-1 advantage,

Ukraine by right in any other war would have a airforce of zero by now ,

• Advertisement

But i havent seen or heard of one SEAD or DEAD operation from the russians yet and that takes alot of training,and should have been done before any invasion started,or atleast before any or during an offensive operation.

Same when doing ground support in combined arms operations,together with their mechanised units and infantry

If pilots lacks the training,they are basically useless,and numbers wont make up for that

Western aircraft carry more modern air2air missles that can kill other aircraft beyond visual range (BVR) at over 100 Miles they in theory could track and engage and shoot down Russian aircraft over the black sea while staying inside of Ukraine air defense systems,

The Americans are already looking at air2air missles with a 200km + range thats like have aircraft over Dublin shooting down other aircraft in Galway east to west coast before the other aircraft could pick up the aircraft in Dublin on radar

Doesnt matter how many pilots they have if they dont have the training needed for air dominance operations

As you know, I was referring to Russian launched glide bombs being launched from within Russian airspace. Makes no difference of the range of western A2A missiles, Ukraine wouldn't be shooting Russian aircraft flying in Russia with western planes. Black sea is international airspace, different kettle of fish.

Sead ,Harm ,and Wild weasel before them as it was originally known was a an American tactic in response to Soviet Sams in Vietnam,

Russian doctrine is completely different,the Russian airforce is set up solely do defend Russian airspace hence the lack of range and fuel storage in their aircraft, most of Russias airforce is setup for point defense,get airborne fire your missles and turn around and fly fast back to base, big engines ,big missles and not a lot else, hence why they heavily invested in nuclear weapons and SAMs they didn't need to dog fight they just had to shoot down US bombers, missles from the ground would take care of any other threat's

Oh but it does those American missles could take those glide bombs down too before they reach the Ukrainan coast,and how many glide bombs do they actually have,its safe to say that they don't have a 100km + range,so yeah Russian aircraft would have to get close enough to use them, which puts them in range of being intercepted and shot down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

What do you expect when an elderly lady was arrested in Moscow for simply carrying a rose in a public place? or the girl carrying a blank piece of paper....???? If Putin had mind reading or brain scanning equipment, the thought Police would have millions of Russians imprisoned.

ITT: Posters claiming that Russia aren't doing as well as expected because they don't realise they possess an airforce.

Well then they lack the training for offensive operations apparently,as i just mentioned

So thats why we dont see any air superiority

I'm not quite sure western jets could pick up a glide bomb on radar that far out. Tiny cross section, would need to be closer and flying high, which puts them within AA range of SAM sites within Russia. I've a feeling Ukraine would get C-RAMS well before western jets to counter glide bombs being launched from within Russia.

• Advertisement

I don't think that's true,

Considering they can track other missles being fired at them I think it's safe to say they can track and engage other weapons deployed by aircraft, western aircraft also have better counter measures and electronics jamming, which gives them an extra layer of protection from SAMs ,

They can still engage Russian aircraft before they could drop glide bombs , from the safety of Ukraine ,

Russian glide bombs have a 40 km range, modern Western aircrafts carry missles that can shoot down other aircraft 100+ km away,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think a lot of this air superiority debate in regard to Ukraine is not taking into account the surface to air missile systems that Ukraine had been building up since the the 2014 invasion of Crimea. According to the wikipidia page on the S300 ground to air missile system developed by the soviets Ukraine had around 100 active batteries of these missiles at the start of the 2022 escalation by the muskovytes. The same article quotes putin as saying "In regards to Patriots, this is quite an old system and it doesn't work as well as our S-300 (missile system)." Now I know the muskovytes tried at the start of their 2022 offensive to knock out these anti aircraft batteries but their failure to do so in my opinion is the reason we are not seeing so much from the alleged greater number of muskovyte attack aircraft.

The S300 series has missiles with up to a 400km range and the muskovytes are well supplied with the same systems and this in my opinion is the reason the US have been reluctant to send in their fighter jets to the conflict as they would very likely be very short lived over Ukraine. There are constantly videos posted of the Ukraine air force pilots working at very low altitude as they know to go too high would see them targeted by these antiaircraft systems.

It depends on what you mean. Track other missiles that have a radar lock on said plane is different than the plane being able to track a bomb falling which isn't using radar. It's still inconceivable the west would give Ukraine fighter jets with their sole purpose to take down Russian jets within Russian airspace, no matter how you wanna frame it, it's not going to happen.

Those 400 km range missiles are for Air fuel tankers and AWACS and other slow flying military aircrafts,not fighters

And i doubt the s300 radars would detect anything at that range,as they dont have the range and other variables as radar horizon comes into it as well.

Any air defence systems are as good as their radars

One thing is what it says on paper another in reality

Its always easier to detect and track missiles because they radiate heat and are picked up by infrared sensors like IRST and DAS on F35 for instance

A glide bomb doesnt radiate heat and will only be picked up depending on its radar cross section.

Back in 2010 F35 detected and tracked multiple rocket launches 1300 km away,because of the rockets heat and larger radar cross section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

It's all useless in this war.

If the orcs put any of that within an asses roar of Ukrainian controlled airspace it'll be blown out of the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭threeball

Pushing the Russians out of Ukraine is one thing but that doesn't mean the end of the war. The Russians aren't well known for taking their beating. I'd expect them to continue lobbing artillery and missiles into Ukraine for a long time to come and with next to no fear of reprisal. There will be a constant threat of being caught up in a missile strike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement