Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie Kardashian is in a women's prison. Taoiseach's response to questions on this are here..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Just to be absolutely clear about this, Barbie Kardashian is NOT "gaming the system".

The system, by design, has absolutely no effective built-in mechanism to stop a person from getting a GRC very easily with no checks and no requirements beyond a signed declaration, and then being recognised as the opposite sex in law.

There is a €2000 fine if a declaration is later deemed to have been falsely made, but there would be no way to prove a falsely made claim since the state puts no parameters on what it means to "live in the preferred gender". And no way to create one that would not invoke regressive stereotypes.

This is the system working as intended.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

You all need to take it into context, if possible. There are tiny numbers of trans people in Ireland at present. But they're not doing it for the craic, they're looking to make their lives better by owning the way they feel about their lives. I recently found out that a second cousin of mine wants to transition from being female to male. Their parents are going mad about it but - at the end of the day - I think it's about the individual and whether they are going to be able to be happy about how they choose to live their life and how they choose to define it. They've been given that option. I hate to be so blunt, but anything else is just scutter:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'll ask you for a second time - quote the posts that state BK is proof that all transgender women are a threat to girls and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Fair play to them that they have the conviction to do what they believe they are and I doubt anyone would be adverse to referring to them as he/him

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The system is working as intended in that it only provides for people who are transgender to be recognised as their preferred gender. This is in contrast to the previous system where people who are transgender did not have any legal recognition of their preferred gender and were not protected from discrimination on the grounds of gender. This meant they could be discriminated against in terms of housing, healthcare, education, employment, family and so on, areas where other people who weren’t transgender were already protected because they were recognised by the State and so had legal protections and rights and all the rest of it.

The checks and balances exist within the prison system in terms of fulfilling their legal obligations and responsibilities to ALL inmates with regard to their dignity, safety, privacy, security and so on. It’s why in this case in the UK, the MOJ were found to have failed to prevent systematic breaches of inmates human rights -

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) failed to prevent systemic breaches of inmates human rights when they were unlawfully strip searched at a privately-run jail.

The searches involved four inmates at HMP Peterborough in 2017, including one inmate who was menstruating. 

Sodexo runs the prison and admitted it had breached MoJ privacy rules through its failure to properly train staff.

The MoJ should have had effective safeguards in place against privacy breaches, the High Court has ruled.

The inmates involved in the strip searches in July and September 2017 were three women and a transgender prisoner, who was transitioning from female to male.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-47334760.amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But that's got nothing to do with this case where a violent sex offender applied for and received a GRC despite multiple experts saying they were not genuinely transgender, including the infamous tavistock center,

Checks and balances didn't work in this case and another similar case involving another violent sex offender and pedophile

Checks and balances ARE working in this case though, because the person at the centre of this case is being held in isolation in prison and is being constantly monitored. My post was In reference to the purpose of the GRC system, and making the point that the checks and balances are in the prison system.

You appear to want it both ways with regard to the Tavistock - on the one hand you’ll accept their clinical determinations when the outcome suits you, and you’ll question their practices when the outcomes don’t suit yourself. You can’t rely on the Tavistock as an authority when it suits, and dismiss them when it doesn’t.

But either way, the opinions of clinicians in Tavistock has no bearing on whether or not anyone is entitled to apply for a GRC in Ireland. Tavistock are a clinic where children are seen for issues with their gender identity. The fact that clinicians determined the individual in question didn’t meet the criteria for a diagnosis of gender identity disorder or gender dysphoria or anything else is only relevant if they were applying for a GRC in the UK where a clinical diagnosis is required in order to apply for a GRC, and it also contradicts any claims too that the Tavistock were pushing children into the idea!

Previous criminal convictions wouldn’t automatically prohibit anyone from applying for a GRC, nor would it mean an immediate rejection, which the Minister is entitled to do under Sections 8 and 9 of the Act where the applicant must provide evidence that they meet the criteria under which they are entitled to apply for a GRC, and the Minister can seek more information from the applicant if they choose to, and can reject an application if they choose to, and provide the applicant with a reason for the rejection of their application. The idea that there are no checks and balances at all, is clearly nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Maybe the bit where

"The effect of the legal recognition is not retrospective. All rights, responsibilities and consequences of actions by you prior to the date of recognition of your preferred gender remain unaffected."

Should have applied in this case and hence has no right to be in a female prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

Exactly. I have no strong views on this, but it seems to me that a vocal minority are shutting down debate at every turn. Even discussing this issue triggers accusations of phobia, ‘unpleasant’ etc. Great stuff altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Closed for review

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread reopened. A large number of off topic or otherwise inappropriate posts have been deleted

I don't know why some posters are finding it so difficult to adhere to the quoted mod instruction but if the thread gets like this again it is being closed permanently.

The following posters are threadbanned

@chopperbyrne

@[Deleted User]

@Spanish Eyes

@thegame983

@gameoverdude

@PaoloGotti

@purifol0

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

So in order to allow debate to even continue I have to pretend I do not find such opinions unpleasant? I cannot even politely mention I disagree and find it a distasteful position?

What strange and delicate hothouse flowers your opinions are, that they require universal agreement at every turn even to survive! You must feel stifled and oppressed every time someone disagrees with you about the weather.

And yes - the position that transgender people simply do not exist or are faking, or mentally ill, is not a very nice one, now is it? It is part of a large collection of opinions I could mention that are similar, used to be uncontroversial, but currently considered to be in very poor taste. I would mention them, but I am afraid that a whole lot of precious, precious opinions might get hurt, and goodness me that would just be pure oppression now wouldn't it? Unacceptable.

Oh and since you call yourself a stoic, you owe me a new irony meter.

I think there are definitely similar features:

• Fear and disgust leads to a strong emotional reaction that is disproportionate to how much it is likely to ever affect the people having those reactions.
    • People are more afraid of sexual crimes committed by the group than they are of the exact same ones committed by "normal" people. This one often comes with loaded questions: "why do you not want children to be safe? Why do you hate marriage? Why are you in favor of sexual hedonism?" etc and so on.
    • People show fear of societal erosion caused by allowing the group equal rights and visibility, even though the group is generally in the minority, sometimes even a tiny minority! Often this comes with slippery slope arguments.
    • People feel oppressed if they face opposition when they express these views, because they used to be uncontroversial during their formative years and now they are beginning to not be.

Just to name a few obvious ones you can find littered all over this thread.

It does apply in this case, in any case really where it’s considered relevant. The reason I make that point is because their possession of a GRC in recognition by the State of their preferred gender, is but one consideration of many, in terms of where a prisoner is accommodated. It’s also important to note that Irish prisons are not legally defined as male and female prisons, a point made clear by Simon Harris a month ago, reiterated by a spokesperson for the Irish Prison Service recently -

https://extra.ie/2023/03/04/news/irish-news/policy-transgender-prisoners

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2023-02-02/364/

You’re free to make up your own mind as to where Leo’s head was at that he was able to claim recently it’s the first he’d heard of it when similar questions were raised in the Dáil in 2019 and addressed by his party colleague Charlie Flanagan who was Minister for Justice and Equality at the time -

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-09-06/553/

It’s not a question of whether anyone has a right in that sense to be accommodated anywhere, and certainly nobody has an automatic right to be accommodated in accordance with their own personal preferences, a point which was made clear at the hearing in October 2020 -

The solicitor requested that her client’s “certificate of gender recognition” be submitted to Limerick District Court, which is hearing the case.

Presiding Judge Larkin Mary Larkin said: “It’s a matter for the prison authorities, I can only make a recommendation that all medical intervention and appropriate detention be given to her in the circumstances.”

https://www.womenarehuman.com/transgender-teen-charged-with-making-death-threats-against-two-individuals/

Chances are Leo’s going to do nothing only keep his mouth shut until this all blows over.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bad week for progressives.

The push back against Barbie Kardashian incident and the protecting of women athletes.

Women are not the danger, they are in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't actually care, like I said that is not the substantive issue in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

There is a point that’s missed here. There is no “right” to use a bathroom in a private setting. Access is entirely at the owners discretion and the sign on the door is indicative only and has no basis in law

Women are not the danger, they are in danger.

Isn’t that the message being constantly put out there by both progressives and grifters alike? It’s bullshìt, obviously.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/05/lone-woman-fights-attacker-inspring-proof-inherent-danger-maybe-both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

I do think you a quite a confused individual if you believe all “progressives” are only interested in trans issues, or for that matter if you believe all progressives believe this individual should be accommodated in the general population of a woman’s prison or if you believe all progressives believe trans women should always be allowed compete on a equal footing with biological women in sport.

Or is this yet another example of pushing the extreme view as being representative of everyone’s view in an attempt to discredit through association and misrepresentation?

I think the implication was that a person was restricted by law to using the bathroom corresponding to their gender or sex prior to obtaining a gender recognition certificate, as though that has ever been the case.

Recognition of their preferred gender identity by the State is far more useful and important in terms of employment, healthcare, education and housing, as opposed to the idea of it being of any use whatsoever in terms of which bathroom anyone uses when our in public. By trying to restrict anyone’s access to public facilities, it means they can’t be visible in society even by the most basic standards of where to go for a leak! It’s not only inherently insidious and cruel, it’s stupid.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well you were the one who said this person should be in a mental institution, not a prison. Suddenly you've no opinion on whether mental people can consent to a gender cert. It's ok to have a controversial opinion from time to time you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You see the problem is that they have a reality and I have a reality, but their reality is different from mine and seems to have more rights than mine which has existed for millennia.

I have kids , one going into first year soon. The junior cert class will be fun as he says the reality he knows to be true.

Btw, wet stuff is pelting down from the clouds but I've decided to call it sunshine.

But seriously, if we think the world is going to get better, it won't.Things will only get worse and worse with those of us who know the truth being thrown into prison.

Funny, they said that about women too back in the day. It was self-evidently obvious they were not meant to have leadership roles, or work, or vote. This was just... reality. To say otherwise was pretending that black was white and that trees grow root upwards.

Turns out that it is entirely possible for a millennia-old point of view to be dumb and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Gays, women, what's next? Africans? Native Americans? You really seem to be playing minority bingo, even though the comparisons are not one bit alike.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

As I say, I have no strong opinions on the matter. By the way, you have an interesting writing style - I genuinely mean that! It’s a little bit over-elaborate but I can really feel the energy and passion. With a bit of refinement and training, you could do something with that irl

On the contrary, there are some striking similarities. I have listed a few earlier that you can look at and and respond to if you like.

There’s no question of capacity to consent arises in whether or not anyone can apply for a GRC. Mental illness or ill mental health doesn’t preclude anyone from applying for a GRC in Ireland either.

This was based on the idea that simply being transgender is not in and of itself considered a mental illness, as opposed to the UK where in order to be able to apply for a GRC, a person has to be able to present evidence of being diagnosed with gender dysphoria, and evidence that they’ve been living as their affirmed gender for at least 2 years -

https://www.gov.uk/apply-gender-recognition-certificate/what-documents-you-need

It’s also important to point out that the individual in this case was not considered to be experiencing any form of significant mental illness, at least not in 2018/2019 when a hearing for an appeal of a special care order granted to the CFA (now Tusla), was heard, and it was recommended in a letter from Harry Kennedy (Clinical director at CMH) that they be placed in a facility other than a hospital -

52. It was Professor Kennedy’s conclusion in August 2018 that;” only a secure care placement would be appropriate to [G.’s] needs. This should not be in a hospital setting, though various forms of psychological help should be offered at intervals – though not exclusively on [G.’s] terms. Crisis interventions including psychiatric crisis interventions will always be available according to clinically assessed need.”

https://www.courts.ie/viewer/pdf/e363c19e-6e79-4e35-a3fe-d5e8dee785fe/2019_IECA_109_1.pdf/pdf#view=fitH

The individual in question received their GRC in August 2020 -

“It appears she has also changed her name to Barbie Kardashian, and it appears the accused lady was issued with a gender recognition certificate by the Department of Social Protection on the 18th of August 2020, and she did in fact change her name using the necessary legal process by deed poll.”

https://m.independent.ie/news/barbie-kardashian-goes-on-trial-in-limerick-accused-of-threat-to-kill-her-mother-and-healthcare-assistant-41613801.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Rubbish. The majority of adult men claiming to be trans women are straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The point is, you're not arguing about the substance here, the finer details, which are far more relevant. Your tactic seems to be referencing passed struggles of other groups in a general sense, which really does nothing to advance the discussion. It's a cheap appeal to emotion and nothing more.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement