Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

So the democratically elected government in Ireland is desperate for more refugees?

The government elected by your colleagues friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

O'Gorman rolled out the red carpet. Land in Ireland and you are sorted. I've been working full rime and paying tax for the past 24 years, as a single Irishman if I lose my accommodation I might be given a room in a junkie hostel dorm if I'm lucky. I certainly won't be given my own room accommodation.

The accommodation will be own-door for families, and provide the privacy and independence so many were not afforded over the past two decades,” Mr O’Gorman said.

Single people will have own-room accommodation, ending the shared dormitory-styled rooms associated with the current system.”

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

The likes of Germany and France build high rise apartment blocks very quickly when pressure on housing occurs. They build them out in the not so pretty small cities, often you will never see these as a tourist. I lived in both these countries and drove a lot for work , I would see them fire up these tower blocks in a matter of months. Ireland cannot do the same due to planning regs, environmental objections, incompetent local authorities and totally useless housing department / government. And I'm not saying I'd like to see tower blocks dotted all over Ireland, but some 5 to 8 story complexes can be well designed and fit in to the surrounding urban area.

Every large town (not even a city status) in Germany & France have a small hospital, day clinics, swimming pool, fire station, city hall, police statiin, etc. There were even technical colleges and Universities in very small cities. Huge hopsitals in every small city. The list of facilities and infrastructure goes on.

By living and travelling in Germany & France (and the US), You can totally appreciate how small Ireland is in terms of space, infrastructure, facilities, housing, etc. I can list the major hosptials and Universities in Ireland in 20 seconds, you could count the no of fire stations in Connuaght on one hand, the number of Garda stations in Ireland equate to a tiny district in Germany.

This is why Ireland cannot grow like our large EU neighbors can, its why Ireland has to control immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Well it sure would appear that way but people power may sway them.Sinn Fein might put a restriction on refugees and asylum seekers as an election stunt .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

high rise social housing apartment blocks, as in 10 and 12 stories which would be considered high rise in Ireland, are all over central areas of Paris and London anyway very visible to tourists if you get around a bit. Off the top of my head I can think of such towers in Notting Hill, St John's Wood, Shoreditch, Waterloo, Bermondsey, and around Oberkampff and Parc Buttes-Chaumont in Paris, I'm not that familiar with Paris though.

it just doesn't seem to be possible to do this in Ireland with our planning regulations and constant objections. I was impressed to see a load of apartments being built here in central Dublin last time I was home, and also similar developments around that new Pelletstown train station. Even if we can't do high rise, block after block of this kind of thing, with room for amenities and shops etc. that are helped by the government to stay in business, should be the direction we're going in, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

was their ethos not always refugees welcome open borders type of thing? then again they'd probably say anything to win votes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Name a single country in the western world that has ever used immigration laws to try and stop the population from growing? If the Irish government truly believed this was the way to go, they would go the route of the Brexiteers and withdraw from the EU and the Single Market (and in the same stroke, would kibosh the chances of Irish people being able to move to anywhere in Europe).

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

USA, Australia, New Zealand. Ireland and every other EU country too. Russia. South American countries. Pretty much every country in the world uses them.

They all use immigration laws to stop their populations from exploding overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Every country that requires a visa to enter, stay or work

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

These days places like airports have cameras with facial recognition...

The airport literally knows who people are as soon as they get to the airport. It would be easy enough to find out who the people that lost their passports are... see which flight they came off and get the names of the people who went through passport control, then compare the list of names with the airline passenger manifesto...

A schoolkid could come up with a system to determine who the people are that have lost their passports.

How many people lost their passports at Dublin Airport last year? 4,200 or something? How much will they be costing the Irish taxpayer each? At least 20,000 euro a year each? That's 84 million euro to look after them each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Seems to some sort of stand-off occuring in Mullingar tonight

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023/03/24/protesters-blocking-bus-of-asylum-seekers-from-entering-columb-barracks/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ireland has strict immigration rules for anyone who wishes to work here - many of the deportation orders in recent years have been issued not against asylum seekers, but against people with the wrong work visa or no visa at all or students overstaying their allocated time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

There is a video of IPAs being bussed into Mullingar. The bus driver is both giving and receiving abuse. How do we see this? Targeting someone just doing their job or maybe we take the view that he should have refused?

I'm personally of the view that it's the politicians that need to be receiving the abuse.

Another thing is this ridiculous idea we are to get a referendum on immigration. IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

The general election will be the referendum. A vote for the main parties will be essentially be a green light to mass immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

It's ridiculous to be abusing the bus driver for doing his job. If people have an issue with refugees they should get on to politicians instead of abusing a man out earning a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

When did the whole "International Protection Applicant" lark start?

You mean refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

These folk aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the box tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

the press often refers to ukranians as refugees. And men from everywhere else as IPAs. Basically illegals.

They’re sharp enough to know if they let those buses in they’re stuck with those guys for years hanging around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

Tbh, I consider the political class as being traitors.

When you think about it, the main duty of a politician is to look after the electorate. They've not been doing that... there's a housing crisis in Ireland and the politicians do nothing about deporting failed asylum seekers?

If someone speaks out against bogus asylum seekers the politicians shut them up with cries of "racist" and "right wing extremist".

Democracy shouldn't be like this.

Their main duty of care seems to be to the corporates and EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

This will devalue property in the area. The “I’m just doing my job” means sfa when it’s your property becoming un-sellable and your family exposed the dangers being imported. The political class have much to answer for when they are sneaking these buses into areas. If something happens as a result of this then it’s on their hands.

The people sneaking this into areas are traitorous snakes and calling people racists means nothing coming from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A vote for the main parties will be essentially be a green light to mass immigration.

Any suggestions on who the vote should go to instead?

Sure. The Irish Freedom party. INP is too extreme. I mean their leader directly quoting the fuhrer goes too far.

Irish Freedom party is too in the sense that exiting the European Union as a member of the Euro currency is going to be very painful.

However there's not much of an alternative. It's the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

179,289 new PPS Numbers have been issued to Non-Irish nationals in Ireland from January-September 2022 https://gov.ie/en/collection/

How many total new houses built. Approx 40k maybe?

This is detrimental to the native population

• Registered Users Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Do you believe IFP have the potential to attract mainstream support?

Yes I do. There's an awful lot of very dissatisfied people out there and they definitely can make gains.

• Advertisement

Not for a few years. Though they’re ripe for growth.

im Surprised the shinners haven’t taken this up. I dont like them but they normally read the room and have a feral intuition to back the right horse. If they backed immigration controls they’d get in.

Advertisement