Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Ulster bank do deals or make a huge loss on Offset Flexible Tracker Mortgages.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭McSween

Is it advisable to keep funds below 100,000 in the offset do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

why?

I think Nat West are quite strong enough.

I'd go with as much as possible up to your mortgage balance.

As for the query about being contacted if you have more than the mortgage balance in the account - its called "OFFSET". There's a hint in the name to the max balance. You can't "offset" more that what the balance is in anything. It would need to be called "offset & more" to allow that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

My take on all this is that they will probably package them all up and sell them to an Irish bank at a huge discount, rather than giving individual customers the discount, like what kind of a price could you put on the facility, some people would be happy with compensation of a 1K because they never understood it and never used it and more people would want 10K because they used it all the time.

why would they sell at a "huge" discount.? The mortgages are performing.

They could work out an arrangement where Nat West pay a fee based on net operational costs. Remember most holders won't have a huge savings balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭aoraki

It's a good question. Even if these banks were bog standard mortgages there would be a discount involved (I'm pretty sure UB sold their other mortgages below par, might be wrong in that). But I think what would warrant a bigger discount is the following; 

• First and foremost the buying bank would need to build the offsetting capability in order to take over the running of these, if they don't have that capability already (and I'm not aware of any other currently operating bank that offers offsets in Ireland). Might seem like a pretty trivial task from a laypersons perspective. But off the top of my head that would involve changes to various IT systems, updating of product catelogs and documentation, training of staff, legalese updates, possibly updates to websites. Having spent some time working in the IT space in Irish retail banking, they are not known for being "agile". Not a huge project by any means but it's not "nothing" and the buying bank is going to have to spend time and money on this. So that will need to be reflected in the price.
    • It's unknown to us what degree people are using the offsetting feature (the buying bank will know it though, it will need to be disclosed to them). But again it's not nothing and that's gonna affect the buying price. On top of that is it is unknown to the buying bank to what degree people are going to use the offsetting feature in the future. More and more people might start realising that the offsetting feature is a good use of any savings. This is more likely to happen I think as people get into the last few years of their mortgage where the mortgage balance has been reduced a lot and they might have more savings to offset against it.
    • Also, under the hood, these are trackers, which are less attractive to banks.
    • The size of the offset loan book is likely to work against it. Apparently there are only around 4 to 5 thousand of these. A buying bank is gonna weigh up whether it's worth all the hassle and unknowns for a pretty small loan book.

Whether this all translates to a "huge" discount, I don't know. But definitely a bigger discount than a standard transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Yes that is what 'offset' means but it still has no relevance to being asked to reduce the amount in the facility or clear the loan or anything else, there is no benefit to a person if they hold more in the facility than owing on the mortgage but doesn't mean you can't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rupert Pumpkin

I've been following this conversation with interest (pun intended). I have an offset with savings in excess of the mortgage balance. As I read the comments it seems Jim has the best grasp of it. As far as I'm concerned, this is a UB problem, not mine.

1. I believe these are loss making to the bank, increasingly so with rising rates. Might be wrong, but the way banks fund mortgage debt on a short term basis, suggests to me that these are somewhat dud products for them. In other markets where offsets are offered, they come with higher interest rates, so if you are only partially offsetting the benefits can be eroded by paying more on the non covered balance. The UB ones are ECB trackers, so the cheapest rates, not the way the product should be.

2. There is clearly a problem for UB, they haven't shifted them and can't close the offset savings and current accounts.

3. I'm ignoring all letters from utilities to whom I have DDs from UB. It is not in my interest to make UB's problem any less by ceasing them. UB sold me an offset tracker, that requires a current account to work as an offset. I'm entitled to assume my current account will operate until I'm told otherwise.

3. They can't just transfer the mortgage. Unlike other bundled mortgages which had terms and conditions allowing them be sold, my offset mortgage has an implied current account and savings account linked to it. If they sold to AIB, they have to also open a savings and current account for me with AIB, I'd have to go through KYC process with AIB, and I believe I'd need to consent. Unlike moving my debt, I'm not sure they can move my savings unilaterally. I don't think they can legally force me to do my current account banking with AIB, just because they want it to take over the offsets.

4. I also hold in excess of the mortgage balance. One user seems certain he has been threatened that he needed to reduce the savings/current balance to the outstanding mortgage sum. I'm not aware of any such rule, had no such calls, and have not heard of any other offset holder getting them. Not doubting the original poster, but it sounds like a misunderstanding. He certainly adopted the right approach, "tell me exactly what rule I'm breaching".

5. I hadn't considered the risk for me of holding more than €100k in UB, or holding more than the mortgage balance. I don't think it's a credible risk. But I will probably reduce it down close to the balance, on the basis that it'll be harder logistically to move in future, not because there's any real danger of the funds being grabbed by a liquidator.

6. The point about the banking licence is an interesting one, a real pain if UB have to retain an operating clearing bank just to service the current accounts of offset holders.

7. It'd be logical for UB to analyse the offset accounts, target any that fully cover the mortgage, and offer say a 20% discount. Clear the mortgage at 80% value and return the savings and close the CA. Would make a lot of sense, but it's time consuming. They will be selling these at a steep discount anyway, as these products are a nuisance, but they're unlikely to do deals individually. They'd rather take a 30% discount and sell as a bundle.

8. Would also make sense for UB to look at the other partially covered ones, calculate roughly what they saved in interest historically, project this forward, and make an offer of compensation to close the account and for the mortgage holder to refinance elsewhere on normal terms.

9. I don't think UB will have the resources or head-space to negotiate individual deals to close the accounts, but if they properly resourced a knowledgeble team, came up with a suitable package, they could hugely reduce the number of problem offsets very quickly.

10. If UB do try to bulldoze through a solution which unfairly trods on offset holder's legal rights, we should reconvene back here and potentially assemble a group willing to challenge them on it.

Thanks to all who've contributed on this thread, there is scant information out there on the issue, and it's interesting to find others in the same situation.

10. If UB do try to bulldoze through a solution which unfairly trods on offset holder's legal rights, we should reconvene back here and potentially assemble a group willing to challenge them on it.

Absolutely, if that happens, count me in. Another person that might be able to fight our cause (if it comes to that) is Pádraic Kissane, the financial advisor that worked on behalf of the banking customers that were stung by the tracker mortgage scandal in recent years.

I doubt if these are loss making. But definitely a pain in the behind

They can deposit your credit balance overnight with the ecb at 3% (ECB deposit rate), mortgage management costs circa 0.25 - 0.4% on performing mortgages.

So not loss making, but not profitable either.

If you hold in excess of the balance, it should not be paying interest on the excess as the word offset gives the limitations. If it is, then great, its a bonus that they don't have to give you

It will be easier for them to pay a fee to AIB to manage out these accounts than to start arguing with hundreds of people who all want a different option and people making suggestions of using professionals to fight different angles just makes an organised management agreement more likely as in reality there's not much time left on these.

Worst case scenario you will simply change your account to AIB/BOI and get the same benefits. Best case they offer a figure that compensates you the interest you'd be paying til the end of the term (very easy to calculate - 100k balance with 10 years remaining and 4.25% = 22k)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭fliball123

Has anyone with an offset tracker received any further info from Ulster bank with regards to what is happening to these mortgages/current accounts?

• Advertisement

Not a peep, had lunch with UB staff member few days ago who has one too and they haven't heard anything either, although I always believe the staff are often the last to know!

I'm not expecting to hear anything from them until June/July at the earliest (based on their last communication).

In the meantime, just sit back and enjoy that offset :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cal07

I'd also be interested in joining such a group.

I know that UB sold a number of debt books in the past and the debts (some performing and non-performing loans) were sold at w/down of 40%-60%.

They don't seem to be in any hurry, do they? It's mid-summer now and it looks like nothing has changed really. From looking at other threads about the Ulster Bank closure it looks like some of the Tracker mortgages that were sold to AIB ages ago are still with Ulster Bank and haven't been moved yet.

I think we'll be here for a while folks. I might check back in again around halloween to see if there is any movement by that stage 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Almost the end of June and not a peep from UB about our offset tracker.

I'm currently offsetting the entire mortgage amount, and waiting with '(no) interest' 😉 to see what will happen!

I wonder if this is going to impact the timeline of Ulster Bank's disposal of it's mortgage books;

If that goes against them they might be in a bit of a pickle.

Similar position here

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Genie Genie

Hi,

I rang Ulster Bank on 14 July for an update.

I have been an Offset holder since 2007 (formerly First Active). I now owe €147,000 and it is not linked to any current account.

I was told by an advisor on 14 July, who seemed very confident and knowledgeable that:

1. A decision will be made in the next four to six weeks (four weeks from now, but as with all these things could be pushed out).
    2. The bank will be maintaining a presence in Ireland at Leopardstown.
    3. He does n't think the mortgages will be leaving this Jurisdiction. (I think they would have left long ago if they could have done that).

My tuppence worth is:

1. I would obviously love a write off, but it looks like whatever bank takes it over will get it, not individual customers.
    2. 5000 offset customers with an average debt of €150,000 is €750 million. It is simply unrealistic to expect that to be wrote off, although part of it could be.
    3. This could go on for a few years as Ulster Bank seem to have a huge problem offloading them.

My direct debit is still with Ulster Bank (first active mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I didn't get a letter yet other than one stating the ECB rate had gone up and my new payment was x...and x being way biiger than it should have been for an ECB basis point rise.... So I rang them and learned of the error...scant details from both yesterday as you would expect

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

MOD:

I tried to clean up this as best I can and move stuff to a separate thread. Sorry if I missed or deleted something I shouldn't have.

i was told by an UB (ex First Active) employee, prior to the bank’s exit from the market, that if we moved house the rate and product could come with us but theyd allow us a ‘porting’ rate of 2% compared with 1.15% at the time. Obviously 1.15 has risen quite a bit but I imagine this is out the window now. If we sold our house today we owe 133k (with 100k in the current account offset). Carrying this product to a house move would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭fliball123

I availed of this I moved bringing my tracker rate with me and I got a bigger mortgage as far as I am aware this is still on of the terms and conditions that you can do it once on the old First Active mortgage and they cannot up the rate they have to keep the same tracker rate.

do you think it is still possible? As we all know the UB staff arent the most clued up on the product.

You could move the offset to a new property and retain the tracker of 1.15 over ECB but to the best of my knowledge only on the amount outstanding, if you require additonal funds they are not going to give you that at the old tracker rate and will probably need a split mortgage, offset for original amount and standard mortgage for additional. Don't know how that would work now though! Be sure to draw down all available facility to increase the amount outstanding on transfer.

Thanks very much both. Yes Phormium that is what we were told two years ago - like you said. So if these mortgages were taken on we could split like you said. A bit crap we are asking each other these questions due to the lack of knowledge of staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭coffee to go

I actually wonder how many got accidentally shafted by the lack of knowledge of UB staff on the features and benefits of the Offset Mortgages.

Certainly when we first approached the branch staff in 2017 about moving house they initially categorically stated that the offset tracker would have to be closed and another non-offset fixed/variable opened. When we contested this with evidence from our original paperwork, this position was changed to “you can move tracker on one occasion only” and our move proceeded from there. Still left an air of shenanigans about the whole thing though 🤔

But I am wondering just how many people who had forgotten about the ‘home mover’ feature of the offset (or didn’t know about it in the first place) got booted off their trackers when they moved, because the UB staff either didn’t know about it or were purposely not going out of their way to highlight it. And would there be any recourse for them now? (Extra layer of complexity from the fact the offsets are still homeless notwithstanding!)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kenif

We moved home in 2020. Had 45k and 15 years outstanding. Borrowed 280k on a 25 year mortgage at all the original terms and conditions.... 1.15% over ECB on the full amount for the full term of 25years.

Was a bit of talk of porting the 45k and new mortgage on remainder but that was the mortgage advisor in UB not understanding the product and confusing it with other tracker mortgages.

• Advertisement

Very good point @coffeetogo . I had to contact a girl who worked in FA in the 2000s to see could she help. She put me in contact with somebody who was originally FA, knew the product and was in UB. He saved us a lot of money. I didnt know what i had signed up to at the time. I think he has moved bank now with UB branch closures. Why wouldnt he with the uncertainty. So who advises us now. Unreal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement