Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Did you not read glanbias new manufacturing policy for 2023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

I was thinking of this during milking.

I have 2 cows that got a belt of e coli or something, but really wont come around.

They can't go to the factory for 42 days or whatever because of withdrawls.

I'm really thinking of having them shot as they take up the nitrates space of a milking cow for nearly 3 months and whatever they make in the factory will hardly make it up.

Anything thats not milking is now a liability..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

Cows are going well in the mart. Call out the withdrawal.

The nitrates is a balls but dumping cows, culls, calves are all a cost. Then you are depending on the milk cheque to make it all up which is ok until you hit a bad year. In the meantime there is lads hoovering up all these bargains and living off the dairy farmer without ever having to milk a cow. Doing my figures at 170 for any future expansion here.

It's like the creosote. They offered a derogation for so many years and then just decided not to renew the derogation.

Everyone now is considering 220 a done deal. One more cut to 200 and then gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭stanflt

From 2024 glanbia suppliers are basically operating under arla type calf rules

The large crossbreed herds are in a spot of bother to put it mildly, even where calves are bobbied it can't take place before 8 weeks of age even where a third party does it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭stanflt

That’s crazy - the retirement scheme will be over subscribed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ginger22

Ditching the sfp, and making sure not to attract the attention of local council is the only option been left for alot of lads at this stage, it's amazing how little f**ks the department gives about you once your not applying for sfp/tams grants

In their wisdom co-ops are going to end up causing alot more calf deaths and very questionable practices on farm from 2024 onwards , but once they can have their press releases and picturesque fantasy of what's actually going to occur at farm level they're happy.....

A tight calving block going forward now is seriously questionable on alot of farms unless their prepared to spend huge money on upgrading calf rearing facilities and labour requirements

• Advertisement

It's a bit sad that they have to write it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ginger22

Well the way things are going with the nitrates and all the rules and regs the co ops are shooting themselves in the foot. Hard to see the milk supply holding up. They want first world standards but paying third world prices.

That's the rub of it, billion plus apwnt spent on stainless steel between them, and now their kicking the stool from underneath suppliers with rules and regulations ....

Lads would stomach alot of it if milk prices had stayed up past 50 cent, but at low our sub 40 cent given input costs, the margin won't be their to fund the latest rules

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Can see a lot of dairy men in particular ditching the single farm payment.take away the treat of fines from the department and what can they really do to you.my payment is around 12,000 now.it’s buying power today versus 20 years ago are worlds apart .

the coops will be begging for milk yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

If a lot of farmers do drop it something else will come in to keep farmers in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

That takes time.

Things will have changed in time.

In time, it might be stomachable to come back in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Co councils do a lot of inspections in westmeath .... mainly driveby but they do proper inspection too of any of the driveby ones that they flag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

They won't really cos I reality they don't care about milk or farmers you have to remember farmers own the coops the workers including the ceo are only employees of the coop it ain't there Money that is at risk. The coco can enforce pollution laws and all those regulations..... by going above the department stocking rates is a farmers automatically breaking the council by-laws ....? There's going to be a test case somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

I'd say there's stuff to bring farmers into line already Tony would be my thinking 🤔

Well all teagasc signpost farms are stocked at 3+ per Ha so the penny hasn't dropped there yet. Dump your culls off the parlour in November, forget the calves, contract rear replacements. It's their plan to spread the money around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Farmers have to think for themselves too ….no issue if lads offload culls in October November after getting years milk ….next man has to make money so be it ….most farmers haven’t forgot calves and again what about it if they sell calves at 14/21 days and get 5/10 euro ….if there looked after well in your care and you have a buyer that’s what matters ….contract rearing is just smart rather than giving stiuoid money to rent land …..there a world outside of us dairy farmers that have to make a living too

There's always the option of milking a few less cows. Alot of contract rearing relationships breaking down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Break down because of lack of communication and expecting too much from a rearer or constant whining about price of it …..it’s a cost yes and how rearer works is crucial but great relationships built up and lads at it for years ….my first year at it here …..nitrates forcing my hand …not dropping cow nos and my income and not giving stupid money to rent land to complicate things further …..really good guy doing it and we’ve our own arrangement in place and I’m comfortable with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The farmer my or may not be breaking the law. However you have to remember all business is regulated to a certain extent. Take a restaurant or any outlet selling food it is regulated by the FSAI, the HSE and by fise safety. Abd it dose not end there you have employment and H&S regs as well.

It's not a given that just because yo eit area aid that some of its regulations do not apply. Already this indications that 350 cow dair herds will come under the auspicious of the EPA. I expect that this will reduce down to 150-200 cow herds in 3-5 years a Ministerial statutory instrument could put all hers not in AA under the EPA.

At a guess the 220kg/ ha will probably remain in place unless there is a serious change to water quality all indication are it's improving. Calf slaughter is gone forever by next year. Board Bia is making it a precondition for BB certification.

With the proposal to keep calves on the farm of birth( remember organics regs are similar) a forward thinking farm organisation would look to change N rates for value es up to 60 days of age. If this was reduced to 10-15 kgs/ years ( 2-3 approximately kgs net for 60 days) it would take some of the pressures off even if the 60-365 days limit had to be risen ( approximately 2-3 kgs/ year) to compensate ( it might not even be necessary).

The problem with farm organisation is they are always afraid of upsetting a minority

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea, During the high interest rates of the eighties I rented out space in the slatted sheds and it wasn't a good experience. I wouldn't do it again.

some people can be a right pain and you just ahve to take it..

A lad around here got someone to contract rear his heifers but was still calling every day to look at them. It didn't work out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It did not work out because he picked the wrong lad and price probably dictated that.

When contract rearing first started a lot of dairy farmers considered that they should only pay the lowest rate dictated by the lowest rate of profitability of beef farms

A few of us pointed out that the lower profitable drystock farmer might not have the skillset or animal husbandry skills to achieve the targets that dairy farmers required.

As well they wanted to have this option at a cheaper cost that if they held onto the task themselves. Add in factors like they wanted no other cattle in the herd unless it was stock from there farm and they wanted to reduce the option for profitability of the dry stock farmer.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I get a few comments on the YouTube channel telling me I should go contract rearing instead of dairy beef.

I did the sums on it and there’d be maybe €200 head/year for me, assuming there was no issue with the calves/heifers during their 18 months here.

The monthly income would be handy but managing cash flow shouldn’t be an issue on any farm if you’re even half on top of your costs and have a decent relationship with merchants regarding credit.

I think the rearer and owner would have to have a similar attitude towards stock, grass, medicines, housing, silage, meal, and managing your own individual stress when something happens.

I watched Canning Farming video recently too and saw nothing that’d change my mind. It works for him and best of luck to him, but it’s a no from me.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I couldn't tell you how people's thoughts work but the prices being quoted by teagasc for contract rearers seem very low to me. Better off paddle your own canoe if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

What is the going rate for contract rearing? I know there are variables, but say average per day from 12 week old calf to an in calf heifer going back in November before calving.

Vaccines supplied by owner aswell I suppose as I think that's standard.

Advertisement