Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I be looking for somewhere in or around 2 euro/ day.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Not paying anywhere close to that and won’t be discussing it here but at that price are u covering all meal ,tb testing ,vetinary etc as that’s well beyond the top of the range prices Tegasc quote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Assuming you have Slurry storage in place and everything right in that regard, have the EPA or councils access to your banding or stock numbers. GDPR?

From next yr the cost of renting and farming the required ground to comply with nitrates will be much the same as my SFP. I have Slurry facilities and calf facilities right. Question, who can come after me if I say F*** it to the SFP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Would love to know this too

plan on putting in extra slurry storage here just to be in comfortable position but as you say renting the land when you’ve no use for it is a zero sum game and only ends up pushing off other guys that need it

I be accepting the costs at that figure. But I am just making the point for me to consider it that is in or around the figures I would need to change from my beef operation. It was my bugbear at the time with the quoted figures more or less assuming that those doing it should accept they were losing money at there present operation.

GDPR is often overrated as a stumbling block. Any authority that is involved in any regulation will have authority to access the information required to carry out that regulation.

The EPA has sweeping powers ask any pig or chicken farmer are they compliant. It often up to the individual to prove they are abiding by the regulations, the authority is not required to prove anything.

Look at the new fertlizer register many assumed that GDPR would protect them from having to provide soil results. The way around was all land is now assumed to be fertility level 4 unless you prove otherwise. The same with dairy cows all cows are in the higher nitrate band unless you prove otherwise.

The LA or EPA could take the same attitude you are assumed to be over stocked unless you prove otherwise. They will probably take no action until a percentage of farmers start to do this. Then they just send you letter requesting if you fill out an area aid form. If not they will come down on you like a ton of bricks and look for you to prove your compliance with there regulations.

My understanding is that there is already a move to stat checking those that have a herd number but no area aid is being filled out.

Heard of a story of a farmer in another part of the county that has to destock by 50% because of animal welfare issues

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I made the same point at dg grassroots bullshit meeting about about spend on steel but bad guy fobbed it off with more bull

board should be with farmers, not pushing this and allowing management excess to come through

we have a board of asshlies in dg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I asked before what would you be allowed do by not taking the SFP. No one could point out anything substantial as the regs and limitatins aren't really tied to receiving it.

Not a dog supplier but calling the board (mostly made up of fellow farmers )assholes is uncalled for ……what do I do to challenge them ???have u ran for seat on rep committees etc ….not saying board men are super duper or anything …some are some are plain useless and get sucked in and forget the reasons why they ran for and got voted for the seat …..change won’t happen unless u force it

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Was there something about that you won't pass the board bia inspection if your stocking rate isn't right and inturn your milk won't be collected

been through there. we had a good board 5 years ago. People who were serious business men. serious about returning a good price to farmers. men who challenged management to find savings in all areas. who had the energy to go through all proposals line by line. who devised strategy by talking to each other on the phone regularly. People who had their research done. now half current bard are retired or about to. through there hands up in the air and say what can I do? do no research. and board is influenced by a lapdog to put tin hat on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭blackdog1

which board is this? Definitely not the Dairygold board I take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Kerry fixed price 34 -35 cent /litre July to October 2023

there will be a share of dairy farmers looking for social welfare at this rate before long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What's current price? That's bollix in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Kerry 44c/litre base fot feb but looking like a nice bit less for march

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ciaran Cuffe must have had a word with the processors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ginger22

Having been fine 19.2 Millon dollars in the US and probably many multiples of that to be paid to Kellogs in compensation I imagine they need to get the milk price down as low as possible to balance the books. Turning into a right shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Reading up on that story they knew they had a salmonella problem from their own in-house testing procedures and never bothered to rectify it, mind-boggling

They are gone so arrogant now. Think they can bully everybody.

They are starting to be a shadow of the company that was created 50 years ago now.

The biggest problem in an industry is going from growth to a non growth legacy company paying a 2-4% dividend. It's similar to dairy farming at present. How will many consolidate what they have.

There is a good few that should have started 2-3 years ago but continued on the expansion trail. As the saying goes it's only when the tide goes out you see who had no swimming trunks.

Kerry is a bit like that. I see it with the last 3-5 years. The biggest problem is the legacy board of the co-op who want to own something. WTF would you. Ya maybe get you hands on the processing side but the stores, feed business who need them. Ya if buying cheap you take them but not buying them leaves you without the headache of managing them.

Similar with Glanbia I can never see the have to buy attitude go in kick the tyres for a while and if it not coming at a price where you see a 10+% return trot out the door.

Was really surprised with Kerry and the fertlizer price this year. They were 100/ton more expensive than anyone else. It's never wrong to take a loss it often cheaper in the long term

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

There is a ICMSA meeting in Tralee tonight. Murphy and O Connell from Kerry Agribusiness are speakers. It will be interesting how they justify their bottom of the league pricing last year and already this year. But having seen them in action before I would imagine they will still try to brazen it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

Update us on what they say ginger please.

barryroe and drinagh still over 52 for Feb.

Wouldn’t it be nice if the CEO’s, board members, milk lorry drivers and everyone in between also had their wages reduced in line with farmers. Farmers always getting screwed and slaving away, I am anyway. If this 4 day a week catches on I’m quitting. Hardly have 4 days off in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

I would say in defence of the hauliers last year, it must have been stomach churning to see milk price rise the way it did and their rates staying as tight as they did.

Lot of operators quit at the end of 2022.

Not been smart but hardly take 4 days off in year ……no excuse for that ….I’d also excuse milk lorry drivers from above …they put some hours in every week and ensure our milk gets to the processor ….I never remember having to dump milk because a haulier never collected milk ….in the beast from the east event I held 5 days milk and was preparing to dump milk after putting in endless hours that week ….didn’t even ring driver to see if he’d be out ….he rang me and said he was going to chance it which he did …..the one time o had to dump milk …nobody to blame bar the idiot that let antibiotics into tank 😱😱😱

Kerrys prediction for milk price 37 cents for year, should pick up end of year and strong for 2024. Milk intake back 10% from last year and protein on the floor. Dropped fertilizer price 100 a ton this week and wont drop further until present stock sold. No reduction in feed prices until end of year.

Feetliser prices will drop further …only going one way …..feed prices on other hand are stubbornly high and good quality 16% nut is still 430/450 tonne which is bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭blackdog1

High feed prices are good for us though if it's not like the fertilizer and just us with them! Lower milk price and high feed costs should calm the US and Europe's big producers.

• Advertisement

I think feed prices a lot lower on continent and in us than here …and with relatively good milk price there opening the taps and driving on …..Holland despite all the restrictions have had record production this spring

Advertisement