Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie Kardashian is in a women's prison. Taoiseach's response to questions on this are here..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

Not at all, I am being very specific, and I am making a very specific point: that a lot of the arguments used are in fact emotional ones, rationalized in the same way the arguments in my examples are. For instance, the argument here was that the non-existence of trans people is just self-evident reality. I pointed out that the same was said regarding women's rights.

If you disagree with this, can you point out what part you think is incorrect and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Not that it matters much either way, because it depends entirely on whatever your source is, but on the one hand the message is that children who are transgender are actually homosexual… but when we’re talking about adults, the message is that adults who claim to be transgender are actually straight 😳

Almost seems like an incredibly convenient way to argue that either way, they should continue to be discriminated against for fear that if they are granted equal rights, people won’t be able to discriminate against them, and that just wouldn’t be fair to people who want other people to be treated unfairly! 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Some people will spout the tenets of their faith regardless of how ridiculous it becomes

Whether that's through zealotry or fear of censure is hard to tell, but it's not hard to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

TBF it wasn't just me, her own Barrister and pretty much everyone who attended the trial or were involved it echoed the sentiment.

I'd be far more concerned if she had a driving license TBH.

Again, what she identifies as is not the substantive issue. The obsession with it, is fair creepy though. Given the facts of the case.

I just read up on a report of what she suffered as child and the word grim is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Please sir, regarding my difficulties... :-) Genuine question though:

For you, which single living person is making the most convincing argument that human society and its institutions could/should accommodate a more fluid gender identity? I'll go and read their work, thanks.

For me, personally, it is not any particular author or case.

It is just that I know some trans people, and they tell me that they would like to be allowed to act like they feel suits who they feel they are. I mean they are them, so they should know. And really they aren't asking for a whole lot. Society doesn't need to make THAT much of an accommodation.

And that is sort of good enough for me, if that makes sense?

I mean, surely we can find space for a handful of trans people and be kind to them? Find some accommodations, a few compromises, so they can feel accepted and respected like everyone else? That does not seem so terribly threatening or scary to me. Society isn't going to collapse because of a few folks who want to live like a different gender.

After all, gay people did not come to my house to somehow make me stop being married, even though that seemed to be the argument at the time we were voting for marriage equality. So I think we will survive a few trans people as well, don't you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nope, this is greatest crisis of our times, check twitter for proof.

All Trans people want to do is hide in bathroom stalls and jump out and rape you.

Again, see Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Advertisement

You have to admit though - the reaction against any sort of mention of trans rights is pretty intense. That dial just seems to go straight to 11 every time. Just look at the OP for this thread.

No, it's just that most people don't take too kindly to the blatant misogyny surrounding this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Agree with the pragmatic being nice to your neighbour approach, that is how most of us live our daily lives. However you can sincerely empathise with any individual's circumstance without reaching a conclusion that the world needs to be rearranged! 

That conclusion in our particular scenario here is that the millenia-old survival-of-the-fittest segmentation of society into male/female (loos, sports, prisons, changing rooms) is no longer appropriate. That is a radical idea with far-reaching implications.

Does anyone on here know which living person is presenting this argument most convincingly? Genuine question, I want to read their work.   

The world does not need to be rearranged. At all. The accommodation required, and the actual impact on anyone else's lives is minimal.

And yet this kind of reaction is fairly common: it is like it represents a complete upheaval of society. You are even invoking evolution, as if trans rights would require a sort of biological revolution or something. It just makes people overreact like this for some reason.

And for the *umptieth* time: we change the segmentation of society all the time. It has been a damn fine idea to upset the segmentation of society many times. Like when we decided slavery wasn't such a good idea, or stopped considering women as property, or decided that maybe not just rich people and aristocrats should have a voice in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Central to this is that this person is in a women's prison because this person has a gender cert/identifies as female.

So if you don't want to deal with the point, why bother comment.

Come see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I am being silenced! I SAID I AM BEING SILENCED! DO YOU HEAR ME??? DO YOU HEAR ME BEING SILENCED WITH THESE ACCUSATIONS BIGOTRY????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

Are you so insecure in your point of view that you just try to ridicule the people making an argument that you disagree rather than actually attempt to address the subject?

Typical of the vocal minority of fanatical evangelists pushing the reactionary agenda to shut down the debate in this way. I hope you are proud of yourself Rothko. You have just killed free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@One eyed Jack

It’s also important to point out that the individual in this case was not considered to be experiencing any form of significant mental illness, at least not in 2018/2019 when a hearing for an appeal of a special care order granted to the CFA (now Tusla), was heard, and it was recommended in a letter from Harry Kennedy (Clinical director at CMH) that they be placed in a facility other than a hospital -

So when were they diagnosed with significant mental illness, being apparently they don't belong in a prison or hospital,

So we have to wait for another victim of a sexual assault or murder before someone says we were wrong.

I've been aware for years this person suffers from serious mental health issues just from reading the numerous Court cases they have been involved in since the first sexual assault case when they were 13 ,.

• Advertisement

Not at all: you see, the moment bigotry of any kind is alleged, as you just did, then that means that the party doing the alleging is now guilty of silencing whomever they are accusing of bigotry. They are shutting down the debate in this way. They do it in order to push through their agenda, you see.

I do not know why, because as you may have noticed it seems to just play into the hands of the people being accused of bigotry. They get a sort of get out of jail free card: suddenly there is no sort of onus on them to refrain from being bigots. I am not sure why this is, but there you have it. I don't make the rules.

But unfortunately it does mean you are now guilty of shutting down the debate, silencing, and of being against free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

Think the outlandish sort of language and renaming of everything from folk in the movement gets peoples back up more so than the actual people who are unhappy in their lives and genuinely need to transition. Just seems to be so much incendiary language around it from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Being respectful of trans people and their right to live freely as they wish isn't something any reasonable person takes issue with.

There is it would seem, some individuals who may be seeking to take advantage of society's willingness to take a welcoming stance towards trans people. I believe the individual in question on this thread may well be one such person and I do not believe that they should be afforded the rights and freedoms that society rightly allows genuine trans persons, they had a storied history of psychological issues before they decided to change their gender and their history of violent conduct towards women should have been considered by somebody in relation to their new gender identity.

This individual has a well documented history of extreme violence towards women as well as having ideations centred around rape, extreme sexual violence and murder of women, namely their own mother. To not take this history of behaviour into account when sending this person to an all female environment is ludicrous.

I would never go out of my way to upset a trans person by referring to them in a manner they would find inaccurate or insulting but in this instance the idea that misgendering this person is something we should be preoccupying ourselves with in order to not be seen as transphobic is a bit much. I honestly believe this person is dangerous predator who is using gender identity as a means of gaining access to victims. And to clarify that is most certainly not the motivation for all trans people but in this case it seems to be the most likely scenario.

This person is not psychologically stable and will likely always pose a severe threat to women. They are also not representative of trans people in general and nobody is suggesting they are but they are not a rock any reasonable trans activist should be choosing to die on.

Glazers Out!

Broadly agree - that is why this is such a terrible example. And it is pretty awful to bring up such a person, and then use their case as a reason to oppose ALL trans people being allowed in ANY women's spaces... as the OP does.

Like what exactly? Can we have a concrete example to examine?

EDIT: sorry, I mean an example of outlandish language or renaming something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Do you think women's opinions on these issues should be entertained or should all women acquiesce to trans women in women's only spaces?

I personally wouldn't feel threatened by a trans man (biological female transitioned to male) in a men's changing room. The issues that face women in their spaces with trans women are not the same however. 99 out of 100 trans women are likely benign, but the one that isn't has the strength of a man with which to assault a woman. These issues aren't easy to deal with and there isn't a one size fits all answer and bigotry cannot be assumed to be the motivation behind concerns women have in these scenarios.

Glazers Out!

You know, to be honest I am not entirely sure why this bathroom fixation is so incredibly important to people. I find it a bit odd. But it keeps coming up regardless.

Personally, I actually have to expose my genitals in front of multiple potential sexual predators without even the relative protection of a bathroom stall, even though the chances of male-on-male rape *far* exceed the chances of being raped by a trans person, every time I go to a pub.

So I wonder if this is not one of those cases where a lot of people have a strong emotional reaction to this, and where the resulting perceived risk is a lot greater than the actual risk.

And then I remember that there are also a lot of women who do not actually have much of an issue with letting trans people in bathrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I personally wouldn't feel threatened by a trans man (biological female transitioned to male) in a men's changing room. The issues that face women in their spaces with trans women are not the same however. 99 out of 100 trans women are likely benign, but the one that isn't has the strength of a man with which to assault a woman. These issues aren't easy to deal with and there isn't a one size fits all answer and bigotry cannot be assumed to be the motivation behind concerns women have in these scenarios.

Like I said earlier in this thread, the examples of abuse that lead to women being harmed, will be viewed as being worth it in the name of the whole. The feelings of the majority of trans women are worth more than the suffering of the minority of women who'll be harmed. That's their outlook, and it's the same on nearly every other comparative topic. Essentially, they don't care once they get their way.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

I know right! But there you have it. That is how it works, apparently.

Advertisement