Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landcruiser - repair to chassis

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭jmreire

I would not blame you one little bit. But I've worked with Toyota Landcruiser's ( and their various iterations, Prado, pick-ops etc) and in some very challenging locations and situations, that tested them to their limits ( and in some cases beyond what the manufacturers design or for that matter their approval.) And not once did they ever let me down, Touch Wood..... Good Luck with your D Max

If the job is professionally done, then unless you are a professional, you will not be able to tell if a chassis has been repaired or not. On the other hand, a bodge job will be easily be seen, even before its effects become known. Chassis jobs are way too important to be done, except by professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I had to do my LC this year for the test. Lad welded it perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

On my second landcruiser here. Had a 00 pre d4d swb first, was an animal of a jeep to pull. Rear cab mounts went with 330k miles on it and I got it repaired and sold it on. Only other problem it gave in 130k miles that I had it was the transfer box had to be replaced. Bought a 06 lwb then and the chassis had to be plated on it last year. Don't think it's as well made as the older one was and the older one would have pulled it around the place aswell. Will probably have to change in the next year or two because of the chassis. It's rusty enough underneath.

If you get a chassis welding job done, and the results are visible to the NCT mechanic, that's not a good job. But if done right, everything will be perfectly OK There's no shortage of competent professional welders out there. The main priority is to align the new panel correctly, and in this case, as it carries the towbar its doubly so. As Chassis jobs go, replacing the rear reinforcement box section is not difficult. Moving towards the front chassis section, where steering / engine / transmission / suspension are connected to the chassis can be more difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

Did it recently on my one, get all the parts from ns4x4 (Google them), usually delivered out the next day so very quick and just find a good welder then. Will need some small fabrication also but simple work for the person welding in the new section

As I mentioned earlier. as these jobs go, this one ( LC Rear chassis member replacement) is pretty easy to do. I've done quite a few of them, and not just in Toyota's either. Of course, if the designers and manufacturer's did their jobs, they would nit need to be done at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Similar story here this week. 06 Landcruiser failed because of rust. 6 spots. They also asked that a report be done for the repair. The tow bar fixing rusted too.

1000 euro to fix. Will be painted as part of this to protect.

I'm hoping it will be the last big issue due to rust until end of it's life, maybe 5 more years max

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

What year is she n1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

What's ultimately the best prevention strategy? You could nearly have more money spent on rustproofing treatments if repeated as often as they recommend than on welding after doing nothing before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The ultimate is to remove the body & galvanise the chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Mines out of test a few weeks now aswell. 06 lwb. Brought it to the mechanic last week and the chassis is OK but have to get some of the floor at the rear welded. It's a right dose. It's big money to trade up 5 or 6 years and tge chassis probably won't be much better on the newer one either.

The thing about Toyoya Landcruisers is that after buying it, and if you intend to keep it for many years, it will make sense and ultimately pay for itself to have it pressure cleaned underneath so any defects are visible, and deal with them at that stage. Then lash rust protection into every crack and crevice underneath, especially Chassis rails but on the floor as well. You will not be sorry, these LC's are incredible vehicles.

Advertisement