Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

All finished here. 20 cows and 19 calves. Lad died at a week old and never really took off and went downhill very quickly.

used the jack 4 times and had one section so plenty of work but all worked out ok.

turned out cows and calves to bird cover on Saturday as they were just mad to get out. Praying we don’t get too much rain now but at least it’s very mild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Ive 40% calved. Use easy calving AI bulls. All coming rather big for me this year. Have had to help cows calf Loyal which shouldn’t be the case. Perhaps my cows have had too good a winter feed. Another bunch of Loyals to come in the next 2 weeks so interesting to see how they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Multi tasking at school. This cow just fired out her 5th calf I think it is. Dunno why we put her with the Lim bull I think she’d cross well with the ch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,893 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, cow calved here on Saturday to Loyal. Surprised at how big he was. Mild winter and good silage - not good for calving.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Yea a super cow that always farts out the calf and up sucking in no time. Had one poor calf everything else a smasher. He took joint ill it held him back but he survived. Even a ch heifer calf cos she has buckets of milk. I love a ch cow if she comes from milky background then head back lim direction

Couple of snaps of ch calves just to show yous. That’s one fostering the mother died of tetany

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Bad day to enter the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Itryhard

Big baby

• Advertisement

Very pleased these calves are all coming so handy. The ornament with the ratchet is still sitting against the wall thank God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

This has been a super easy year, even the maiden heifers dropped them like kittens. Hope I haven't jinxed it, 7 to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Same here. All but 2 calved in a month long window. Only 3 calves in the shed. Jacked one big calf out in the field and one in the shed that came backwards. dint lay a hand On the rest.

Was dreading this season because we had a new baby at the end of January and the calving being so compact but actually turned out to be a dream

Long may that continue! Congratulations on the other new arrival! You must have very dry ground!!

Not really. Very heavy ground for Meath ground but the weather was exceptional and the calves came before the weather turned.

Have you been able to leave them out? We had about 60 out and had to take all of them back in bar cows and calves that were in and out of the yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I've my few that's calved (8 now) in a sacrificial paddock. I'd have heavy land. I'm giving hay out to them to keep them tipping over. Pure balls weather at the moment.

As said above too, seems to be easy calving this year too with nearly all calve 40-50kg range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have a few out with their calves. Calves can come in and lie in straw shed and there's meal there too. Cows getting a bale of silage and calves are happy out. Had a lad here the other day and he couldn't get over how simple aset up it is. Have a loose chain on double gates from field that calves walk in and out through.

Left them out. Benefit of good high hedges. Beef cattle are still in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭golodge

Here it's the opposite. Most calves on the bigger side. An average is reaching 50kg, some around 60 or heavier. It doesn't seem to change soon, as some cows are already past their due dates and still seem to have some time left.

• Advertisement

We haven't let the cows with young calves out yet due to the incessant heavy rain that we've got in the last week or so. The shed they are in we set up for cow&calves and they would normally have direct access to two fields depending on which way we swing the gates. The back pen behind the large timber frame is where the feed barrier and water trough are located. We find it works well and helps to keep the bedding dry. There are nine cows and ten calves (set of twins - blue roan heifer and red bull in the front of the picture) in it at the moment.

The first of the heifers calved yesterday morning (a BBx that I bought in and reared as a calf) we gave her a bit of help with the jack but it wasn't a hard pull. I was slightly worried because this year the calves from the stock bull are coming a lot bigger outta the same cows than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Itryhard

Lovely stock

I’ll second that they are lovely calves. Are they all SH? You have plenty of feeding there anyhow. I paid another €2k this morning for bales but there has been great drying so I hope we can get stock back out maybe Tuesday.

Is it possible to have a Lm bull calve at 278 days? Or was there a mix up a long the way? No twin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Yep. Had an AI zag to first timer last year at 277 or 278. Mind you she's done similar to my own limousine stock bull this year, Calved around 7 weeks earlier than she calved last year.

Yes they are all by the SH bull, the cows are SHx, HEx and LMx.

No a bull calf to Loyal actually which was nice. Calved herself. Loyal doesn’t seem to carry too long either I suppose. She had 2 SA heifers previously. I was getting hints of a Saler off him again. Reddish in colour. have another couple who were AI’d around the same time and nothing happening with them yet. Could be down to the cow too.

• Advertisement

What about the SH do you like? They’re lovely cattle but do they leave more behind them?

Advertisement