Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If the Dutch are a rabble we're a one legged rabble.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

…………………………………………………………..Bazunu

............ Coleman – Molumby -Collins - Cullen - Knight - O'Dowda -Egan - O'Shea

................................................Smallbone

..................................................Ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

That pink hair of Griezmann is going to look pretty silly on a cold wet night in Dublin when losing to an Evan Ferguson brace 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Being realistic, we're a team with a sprinkling of PL players and Championship players. We have no right to be thinking we'll beat that French team (packed with CL players) on Monday. But we'll still hope.

A heavy defeat could be curtains for Kenny, but a respectable showing (even if in defeat) is hopefully what will come of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

So long as they don't cop on to themselves and sack Koeman by the time we play them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

After putting four past the Netherlands I'm not sure a heavy defeat would get him the sack, what would even constitute heavy for us after last night's game, but will leave him standing on the edge of the plank come Greece in June.

Which is gonna be a tough game because you've gotta go back to the 2012 Euro qualifiers for the last time we beat the fourth seeded team home and away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

France are one of the best teams with the standout forward in world football right now.

Talk of sacking Kenny based on whatever happens in this game is crazy. I really can’t see any manager in world football being sacked because they lost to a team that good.

If we get anything out of the game on Monday night it’s a massive bonus.

As for Kenny, he will be in the job until the end of this campaign regardless I think, and his future will be based on how the entire campaign goes.

It's probably a positive that the French win was so emphatic. Takes any expectation off us to do anything other than not lose 5 nil.

Could also mean the French arrive thinking its a foregone conclusion (even if it is).

Mostly I'm clutching at straws though and a 2/3 goal loss is the hot favourite. But the heart always wants to believe in a miracle.

I wouldn't be so sure on Kenny being in the job until the end of the campaign. If Carsley is their number one target and he leaves after the U21s Euros I can see him replacing Kenny after Septembers games. More so if we're coming out of those games with 3pts or even 4pts overall.

Any eventual playoffs will be in March and if a replacement target is available before October then it would be wise to give him Octobers and Novembers games for any potential games in March.

Heart says 1-1 with some good defending after seeing what France did when Netherlands were too open with a high defence. Head says 3-1 France.

I'm certainly not saying he should be sacked if we are hammered, but the mood can change pretty quickly around a manager following what may be perceived to be a hopeless performance, especially after a few campaigns. Roy Barrett having left FAI lessens support for Kenny in the FAI apparently.

I want him to succeed btw.

• Advertisement

I can’t see it, I think it would be very reactionary. This is a campaign where qualification can’t really be expected and whether we get a playoff or not is out of our hands.

I think for Kenny to have any hope of continuing he needs to finish comfortably third-certainly taking 9/10 point from the lower seeds at a minimum. But I think he’ll get the full campaign regardless.

The FAI can then take it’s time in finding a replacement ahead of the WC campaign.

The games against Greece and the Netherlands are the ones that will drive that, I think.

France are top seeds, losing against them shouldn’t really change the mood around Kenny or the team that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah we can have a hope against the Dutch but the French have hockeyed far better teams with better managers than we have.

This is likely a free pass for Kenny tbh.

The only reason to sack SK before the end of this campaign would be losses/draws with Gilbratar imo.

We are building, we're in the group of death. A Comfortable 3rd place finish would be a solid campaign really.

Anything less and he should be let go. Anything more and he should get a parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,202 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Do people think the FAI can afford to sack Kenny or to replace him with anyone good ?

He seems to be getting arsses on seats and the FAI will love that too.

Think people might be taking Greece lightly. We'll do very well to take 6 points from them and finish above them I reckon. Breezed through their NL campaign, and were decent in their WC Qualification group when they drew away to Spain, won at home to Sweden. They slipped up twice against Kosovo, conceding late equalizers in games they really should've won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I'd snap your hand off for 4 points against Greece right now.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

We haven't taken 6/6 from a fourth seed since Trap, but if Kenny wants to show progress he's gonna have to achieve something in this group which hasn't been done in awhile.

People can say oh he's building but others can be brought in to build upon the work that he's already done, or that it's the group of death. Might sound harsh but he'll have had four campaigns now by the end of this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

France are the second seeds (based on being nearly relegated in the last Nations League)

It's the Dutch who are top seeds

I stand corrected!

Still, on form it would be the other way around, especially after last nights result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Med101007

Anyone think there will be a ticket drop for the France game this weekend??

Yup - though just shows how decent the Dutch are that they're they top seeds. They out-ranked France in the Elo ratings after the Nations League but before the World Cup too (ie when the draw was made)

I would say the 4-0 was a freak result to an extent because of all the late withdrawals (which also presumably messed around with their match prep and training)

It's a horrible group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

The group is a shocker for us but progress now has to be shown . We simply have to finish above Greece for there to be any argument that things are moving forward . I wouldn’t be putting money on us to do that though unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

When the draw was made I thought at the minimum a battling' 3-0 defeat v France would be an OK result for Kenny. Anything better great. I have not changed my mind since.

But the reality is in world football Ireland is not even an afterthought. I was listening to Five Live there. There was Scottish lads talking up Scotland. To be honest I did not even know a lot of the Scottish names mentioned.

I just don't really pay heed to Scotland at all. Then I was thinking how many French people would be able to name three/four of the Irish team? Yet most Irish people could rattle off players from the French team that don't even make the panel.That is the real difference in the gulf in class. For Ireland to have any hope of a result they have to get very lucky. Even luckier than the game where Bazunu saved Ronaldo's penalty. And that was only a 'moral victory'.

The real games for Kenny are Greece and Gibraltar. Then hope Holland and France take points off each other. If Kenny wins those Gibraltar games, plus gets credible results v Greece he just about stays in a job, I think.

The France and Holland games are basically just days out for the fans, get to see a few superstars etc. Try not to get walloped and maybe with a bit of jamminess nick something. But I don't think Kenny's teams are set up to 'nick something'. The side leaves more gaps than a sieve against ANY side.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It is the commentators I feel sorry for at the Greece games. They must have sleepless nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ah those seedings were nonsense, how could France and England be second seeds and the likes of Hungary be top seeds.

France were ranked 4 in the world and England 5 at the time of the draw I think.

Anyone think there will be a ticket drop for the France game this weekend??

There are unsold tickets left from the Latvia combo game but whether they go on general sale is another thing .

The likes of Noel Rock and co will be looking for their freebies.

Yeah, it's one of the bigger anomalies in seeding for sure. England are second seeds for the same reason. I guess wanting to push the Nations League (hence basing the seedings on it) comes above common sense for UEFA. Who'd have thunk it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am not as negative as most seem to be but we will need Richard Dunne v Russia levels of defending. Collins, Egan or O'Shea could really make a name for themselves at this game. We will need everything to go right for us on the night and who knows a penalty and a red card in the first half? A Shane Long v Germany type goal? French lads fighting with each other again?

You have to be positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

You lose matches you suffer consequences. Be pretty dumb if there were no consequences

Yeah, but the seedings could still be more nuanced - by using Elo or world ranking for example, as opposed to entirely basing it off a competition which I'm sure some managers use as competitive friendlies.

(I know it was clear in advance how seedings would be decided, but that's not the point of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Perhaps agree that we should try to finish above Greece, but to be honest I am always a little baffled listening to media talk about ireland, and commentary too, when you hear panelists say things like we should be beating the likes of Latvia easily, or Greece for that matter. Have these people just come out of a time warp? Have they not watched us in the last 10 years. I think sometimes we get ideas above our station. We are a bang average side, and as a result should expect nothing more than average results.

I am currently watching Scotland struggle to best Cyprus. The Scots are poor too. Its the standard of football all over. If you take out the elite countries, everyone else is struggling. The level they are at is way below many of these countries gloey days of old. Us included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,202 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not sure we have Dunne levels in the defense but I think Bazunu has the ability to have one of those magic nights. He is certainly gonna have plenty of work to do.

We are finally getting the forwards together who could have a Shane Long night.

Camera for the U19s game is absolutely shocking. All titled to one side and makes it look like Ireland are playing up hill.

Yeah fair point if it’s utterly based off the NL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Under Kenny we haven't been competitive in a campaign to date.

That's a shame because previously we generally were.

This draw has some willing to give him a pre-emptive pass but I dunno.

From giving up against France to warning of the quality of Greece it seems there is no longer any barometer of success needed to continue with the project.

We'll need to see more than we did in the last campaign for me. Third is the minimum target but if we lose the first two fixtures again and are out of it before it begins once more than I am not sure where we go from there.

I hope the players are more optimistic than some on here but when we are letting in home goals to Armenia, Luxembourg, Ajaerbaijan and Latvia then perhaps it's hard to feel SK can rally.to get a result here.

I don't think Ireland has a 'Richard Dunne' type of defender. Someone somewhere has the bag of markers though. So that is a positive and a similarity. I suppose.

Some people can just understand where we currently sit in the pecking order. Others can't.

Armenia currently giving the turks a pretty good game. Luxembourg drew with Slovakia. Greece have won a European championship.

Even in our hay days we didnt come close to that. There's no free passes, every performance and result has its own merits/context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nah its this campaign or bust for SK. Only way he stays on after is if they come agonisingly close to qualifying or better.

Bigging up France is not a shock, they're an incredible team. Being wary of Greece...they were probably one of the hardest 4th seeds to get. Think I read that we haven't beaten a 4th seed in like 10 years or so either (probably bit more to it than that). But for Kenny to stay on, 2 wins against them are probably needed (assuming wins against Gibraltar, although I await the shitshow of that thread when it becomes a struggle).

He'll have given a lot of caps to players who will form the spine of our team for the next decade, so at least when a new manager comes in, it won't be players adjusting to international football too.

We haven't taken 6/6 from a fourth seed since the Euro 2012 qualifiers. Beating Luxembourg away last campaign might actually be our first time beating the fourth seeds away from home since 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We've beaten Georgia alright.

We've also beaten Germany, Bosnia, Austria and Wales before Kenny took over though. More important than the fixation on the fourth seed idea.

Bit of a muddled post for me.

Is there any target or aim? Are you really saying we have given SK three years and our worst qualification campaign in yonks just to expect zero now?

What would be the point of any of it in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Med101007

Anyone know the best places to be searching for any tickets for sale for the game on Monday. Ticketmaster still have the game advertised under the duo package with the Latvia game but no tickets are currently available and I doubt their going to drop any tickets at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Anyone know where the Irish team or the French team might be training tomorrow or Monday even?

I know there is no open training sessions but I have a 10 year old who would love going on an adventure with the chance of even seeing them in the flesh.

This evenings U21s game is only on LOI TV for anyone wanting to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If you don’t think you can win competitive matches and beat a team like Greece ranked lower than us in the world rankings, why bother?

We need to have expectations, and hold ourselves accountable to find a way to get results. There is no point to the whole exercise otherwise.

Cracking young player. Hopefully he sees some game time today.

I agree we should be looking to beat Greece, but anyone thinking anything less than 6 points against them is total failure simply because they were seeded below is for the draw has ridiculously high expectations. They are 3 places below us in the FIFA rankings and are above us in the ELO rankings. They will be 2 very tough games.

Post edited by McFly85 on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement