Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

when we joined up with energia herself selected the smart tariff and looking at the faq section on energia ist says this reverts to standard meter option when the contract expires, hopefully that is right because when i look at bonkers it is saying i can only switch to pinergy and pre pay because of this

anyone else any experience with this ? i have a month before my contract ends and the two companies mentioned are much more expensive

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Maybe it meant you would just be on the standard smart meter tariff?

I didn't think any company would let you move off the smart meter

yeah i dont think i worded that correctly, house is full of excited kids playing fortnite

this is the tariff i am on Roi - Smart Half Hourly - National Smart Tariff - and when i searched bonkers for alternatives it said the two companies were my only options which seems odd because electric ireland ect have smart meter plans

so i am hoping my plan reverts to sst or standard smart tariff and i have the option to move anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

From Energia’s FAQ:

“No. It is not possible to move back to a non-smart meter tariff once you have selected a Smart Tariff from Energia. You can have a Smart meter installed and remain on your current non-smart tariff.”

This is consistent across all companies, as once you switch to a smart tariff your meter is recoded on the network stopping you from reverting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You have to select 'No' to 'Only show tariffs available for sign up?' to show other options. Similar with Switcher.ie

Thanks so much

did some calculations after trying my your tip and it’s made the world of difference, I will check again in a couple of weeks and see if there’s any change in rates

Post edited by OmegaGene on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sorry if this is a rookie question, but are these % discounts comparable? Are they all discounting from the same level?

Edit: I guess this answers my question;

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Thanks for this input. We would not know that electricity biz rates are falling. Agree that people think xx% off is good and not look at bottom line - it appears that numerical illiteracy is widespread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭con747

So are condescending gits it appears. The falling business rates were widely reported on all media platforms weeks ago. Just because some people are not great at working out percentages does not mean they are numerically illiterate.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

Agree, seems to be a few here who like nothing better than sit on their high horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

In all fairness, there has been a lot of repetition on this thread, with folk often wanting better discounts rather than rates, as well as to be advised which particular supplier and deal to go with when the info has already been given only a page or two back. All this can probably frustrate other users a bit.

I check in with only a few threads these days, but this one has tended lately to be the same old thing every time, with no real news or anything of interest re: switching suppliers. Considering the lack of competition between suppliers out there at the mo, the thread should be relatively quiet, but that's far from the case...

Quite often when bargains are bleak a thread can develop into a place for a chat and some much needed advice too which is in itself harmless enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Out of interest has people's total usage changed in the last year or so? Haven't looked myself but it's an exercise I intend doing in the next while. We are probably doing much the same things now as we did a year ago. Dinner still has to be cooked but the washing machine and dryer have been on more owing to a new arrival in late October and less travel/weekends at in-laws etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've been mindful of using the dryer less, batch cooking and no electric heaters but you really can't bring it down much. I got draught excluders on all the doors, replaced a couple of singe wall radiators for doubles, added thermostat valves but the bill is still huge and not much down on usage. I'll be glad not to see those gas bills for a while now with the warmer weather coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭tandcapply

We took on a Ukrainian family, doubled as the garden room only has electric heating.

Last electricity bill was 4 figures. The next one due in is likely to be just below 1k.

Out of contract from today so thank god it's spring

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Had put in the switch from Energia to SSE.

Got a call from Energia today, still offering the 10% as per the website but also €50 credit and a Google nest hub (this seems to be the go to offering from all service providers at the minute).

Don't need the nest hub so not enough to cover the difference of approx. €120 of SSE being cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My contract with Airtricity (33% off Gas and Electricity) is expiring at the end of the month. Wondering if I should sign up to the best (non-fixed rate) deal I can find now, or is there value in hanging tight on Airtricity out-of-contract rates for a month or two as it seems rates may be about to come down.

Our electricity use is very high (6,600 kwH in last 12 months) as we have an electric car.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

If you have an electric car are you on a smart plan? If so it's hard to tell what your costs will be because it would come down to usage so my calcs won't match your usage.

Assuming you are on a standard meter tarif then the difference between their renewal plan & the standard rate would be ~ €550 over the year. Their renewal offer is only 10% off both electric & gas, the new customer offer is 15%. If it was me I would try get the 15% they are offering new customers.

It's anyone's guess when companies will start to offer meaningful discounts & how much better they will end up if you pay standard rates in the mean time. I would get the best rate you can now & if there is a decent offer in 2/3 months weigh up if it's worth switching & paying the early exit fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Thanks, I'm on a standard 24hr meter, even though I know I should probably be on a day/night meter with almost 50% of my Electricity usage being the car, which charges overnight (also run washer, drier, dehumidifier and dishwasher which all can/could run overnight).

We are hoping to move house in the next few months as well, so don't think I will bother with changing the meter at this stage, i'll let the new owners make that decision.

Will shop around for the best rates now in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

What happens if you move in a few months but are in a year contract, I assume you can bring it with you? If so I would switch to a smart plan now. Let the next tenant worry about themselves. The night rate itself is a better discount then any new 24 hr rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

I'm out of contract with EI shortly. Bonkers are recommending Electric Ireland - Dual ValueSaver which offers 8.5% off gas and the same off electricity.

Question: Is that the 8.5% for DD and paperless billing or is it in addition to this discount? Secondly, if it is for DD and paperless billing, do I loose this discount when I come out of contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Is anybody else seeing Bonkers only advising a couple of providers for electricity?

I'm with Energia, out of contract, and all they tell me is better is pinergy.

Might be true, but seems unlikely

I got a similar result and posted here and @zell12 helped me out by posting this

“You have to select 'No' to 'Only show tariffs available for sign up?' to show other options. Similar with Switcher.ie”

what we are seeing now with the electricity companies is they only want to deal direct with the client and not through the switching companies I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Would this be a good duel fuel deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

How long is a piece of string? As has been reiterated on this thread many times, the best deal for one person may not be the best for another, depending on their usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

whilst you're correct, those rates are very cheap compared to any I've seen elsewhere. The Electricity rate is around 10c below any that were available when I switched a month ago. Is that a deal you were offered @mad m? There's nothing on Flogas's website anywhere close to those rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭lucalux

So please be gentle, I haven't had to switch energy providers for a long time, and barely understand half of it, but here goes, I'm renting, there's a prepay power meter installed, I'm able to switch now

Prepay power meter installed

Urban D/N meter

One person household, at home most days though, no idea what avg kwh per year I would use, the only thing I really use at night is the immersion heater, have neighbours so can't use appliances at night. Heating is electric heaters.

Current rates with PPP:

Day unit: 0.46c

Night unit: 0.22

Stg Charge 1.34

PPP daily charge: 0.45

Looking at switcher.ie and bonkers, I'm seeing Flogas 1 year fixed rate and SSE Airtricitys 15% discount

Is the SSE Airtricity 15% discount already applied when I see the unit rates of 41.88(day) and 25.99(night)?

Are fixed rate plans a bad idea right now?

Also, with switching from Prepay, I dont want to have the meter removed. The meter was switched over a couple of weeks ago to a Smart meter, what bearing if any, does this have on switching? I was on ClassicPay with PPP, so not a smart plan as such. Is the process of going back to the usual meter outside the house easy?

Have only started looking and am bamboozled already, any help/info/ideas welcomed, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Energia offered me 10% discount for renewal ( currently have 25%) starting the switch to SSE 15%

Had hoped Energia would come back and match to save me the admin. I've no interest in getting nest ECT

Advertisement