Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Reading this article makes me very sad and also very angry. This impacts myself, my friends and family who have been priced out of their home towns. When many houses in my local regional town can now go for half a million €, you know something is seriously wrong.

I love and embrace multicultural Ireland but this government made an absolute balls of managing our population growth. It is spiralling out of control unmanaged at our borders. Hell we don't even have a flipping border at this stage.

I only look at the demographics of my local regional town and towns and how much they have changed so rapidly in the last 3-5 years alone. I often wonder where they live and work!

I worry so much about my children's future. Where will they afford to live.They are already in stupidly overcrowded classes and more and more so by the weeks and months. They are getting less and less attention at school. It's all a vicious circle.

Anyone who supports this stupid surge in population growth needs their heads examined.

Oh and another point...In the last week, my local regional hospital experienced their busiest day ever. It says it all!

Behind a pay wall but you get the gist.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/middle-and-low-earners-will-be-priced-out-of-living-in-regional-towns-by-2028-42393799.html

Post edited by Honesty Policy on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Was never on the cards. SF have had a consistently pro-immigrant/refugee position for at least two decades now.

Coming out for serious restrictions on immigration now would be a 180 degree u-turn on their previous position and place them well to the right of FF & FG in conventional political terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

I don’t think they stand for anything to be honest. They’ll say anything to win votes. And for the last decade acting woke has worked very well. Can see them dropping that if they see the tide turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not everyone claiming asylum would come under the category of 'refugee'. Women fleeing sex trafficking, political prisoners or dissenters, those at risk in their home country because of their sexual orientation etc....it's quite a grey area.

Seems to be mostly blokes between the ages of 18-30 from Algeria and Georgia who’ve flown in from Europe or got the air coach from Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

While I'd agree with your sentiments re SF, I've always had this crazy-assed idea that you were a very staunch FG supporter from Mayo (a very staunch FG county) - You're never just using this thread to beat up on SF to try to take them out of the running so there will be just the 3 pro immigration parties (FG/FF/G) left to vote for are you?

It's a very, very clever tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That's not really the point. When it became obvious the public was getting concerned about the state's lack of control on arrivals to this country there was a deliberate effort to introduce language by the NGOs in relation to refugees that wasn't used previously.

Like when the UK government renamed Windscale to Sellafield because it would be deemed less of a radioactive menace in the minds of the public.

It's a cynical use of language. Now all these people need 'protection' in the eyes of the public and they keep using that word over and over again.

No one argues some need 'protection' but that is an incredibly small number among what is mostly economic migrants and the public know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wow I'm thrilled to learn I, the proverbial guy on the Internet, have the capacity to "take SF (the runaway leaders in the opinion polls) out of the running".

TBH I don't have any strong political convictions, just like to correct posters who entertain pipe dreams like SF lurching to the right on immigration...

But a considerable number of people who claim asylum are 'not' refugees and are not fleeing war or famine or a natural disaster. As I mentioned further up, women who have escaped sex trafficking, gay people leaving countries where homosexuality is strictly forbidden, people at risk of being jailed for their religious or political beliefs, those escaping from authoritarian regimes etc are all entitled to claim asylum but could not be categorised as "refugees". You could argue that International Protection Applicant actually suits such people much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

If house prices are going to continue climbing even in rural Ireland to 300k or 400k or beyond then the young will continue to emigrate as they are doing now.

Effectively you have a swap going on. Ireland exchanges it's own youth for the youth of Somalia, Albania, Eritrea etc. What a great deal that is!

All the while the middle class is decimated to pay for it all.

Don't get me started on SF! Interesting and perversely their supporters are the least in favour of mass immigration but you would never know that from the leadership.

There needs to be a political earthquake and fast. The window of opportunity before irreversible damage is inflicted is closing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Don't they stand for unification, an end to british rule on the island and ML running the show?

Can't recall seeing any details of how a 32 county state would make up the shortfall of the billions in funding pumped into NI by the uk government, read it was about 15bn last year.

Maybe it will come from that magic money tree they must have somewhere.

I have not read their manifesto but I would suspect they would claim taxing multinationals and those nasty landlords would make up the shortfall.

Of course neither of those groups necessary have to stay in Ireland to put up with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

I think people should vote National Party.... I don't think they have the policies to run a government, however as a protest vote they are brilliant.

Have a look at their youtube video of when they visited Brussels... I know people consider them "knuckle draggers" etc. However they seem fairly intelligent and articulate to me. Or I suppose people could continue to vote FFFG and nothing will change regarding immigration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVidCjR7plQ

"When you outlaw Nationalism, you outlaw Peoples." - A Visit to Brussels: Portents of the Future

has the gov invested anything in asylum and deportation processes this year ? Or is it just sticking it’s head in the sand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A sign placed in Cherbourg train station France

• Registered Users Posts: 15,133 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

For the English-speaking Ukrainians presumably?

Bit weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Aren't they all really well educated?

English would make sense as its the most widely spoken language. And those coming from Ukraine might not speak Ukranian

How helpful of the French!

Noted there's no advice on getting to Spain/Belgium/the UK/Holland/Portugal/ anywhere else.

Soft touch this way ⬆️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭trashcan

It’s not that difficult. If your claim for protection is granted, then you are a refugee. Anyone still in the process is an asylum seeker (I.e someone seeking asylum - clue is in the title) or alternatively someone applying for International Protection, which also covers Subsidiary Protection, which is an EU concept, for someone who doesn’t reach the threshold of a refugee under the Geneva Convention but would still be found to have a legitimate fear of returning to their own country. The term IPA would cover both, and comes from the International Protection Act 2015, which introduced a single procedure for people applying for both forms of protection. Point is, the term Refugee only applies to someone whose claim has been accepted, and shouldn’t be confused with those who haven’t had a decision yet.

Oh, and by the way, fleeing persecution on the grounds of being homosexual, or political or religious beliefs would be text book examples of those who would be entitled to refugee status, once their claim is accepted as being credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Keep em coming, I see Ukrainian has been added as a subject for the leaving cert next year. It's looking fairly permanent now, who could'a guessed.

Is there any word of looking at the benefits we pay to see if we are too attractive with our dole at all? I haven't heard anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,133 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Well....if you'd want to reach the vast majority of interested readers from Ukraine, you'd be far better advised to publish in Ukrainian, Russian or any number of slavic based languages. Perhaps even French if you wanted to keep the local populace in the loop. English would be well down that list.

Of course there could be other languages posted on other sheets, but suffice to say, this is the picture we have to work with.

I totally agree that anyone who 'seeks refuge' and subsequently granted it is therefore by definition a 'refugee'. Personally, I think 'asylum seeker' is a better term for anyone who initially arrives into a country and puts in an application for asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We have posters here saying Irish people have to leave in their droves because of foreigners coming to Ireland. Do you think Irish people shouldn't be leaving too and should stay and try to improve Ireland?

that would be a change from Irish in courtown thumping the heads off each other

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Nobody should vote for the national party , not even in protest ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Vote for the party whose leader wants to imprison women who have abortions and execute doctors who carry out abortions 👍🏻

Id say the French just want them anywhere but there, regardless of nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

there's something like 500,000 asylum seekers in France so it's not like they don't take any in

Not what I was saying. However I am sure the French would like less. They have about the same applicant as ours per capita, with multiple former colonies and a much easier to get to location

• Advertisement

Someone mentioned an incident in courtown. It was captured on camera.

https://youtube.com/shorts/NMXzj6terfU?feature=share

Advertisement