Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Forgot about McKilop. He only played for the schools and clubs u18 team I believe, but plenty of players make the jump every year. Looked the same size as Joe Hopes, who's in our academy as a second row, the last time I saw him play.

Kenny will be competing against McFarlane from Ulster, then McLaughlin (Leinster) and O'Connor (Munster) who are both highly rated. Seen them both play as well and they're definitely great players. There's a few other winger/fullbacks I've seen watching the Munster and Leinster senior cups that he'll have to beat out.

Very impressed with him in the semi though, Methody couldn't deal with him. Strong in contact, nice feet, calm on the ball and makes the right pass at just the right time. McFarlane had a lot more hype (possibly deserved) but he's been very impressive in his cup run this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Kenny is better than Mcfarlane imo

Hard to gauge between Ward and Mckillop. Ward wasn’t involved with ulster or Ireland as a u18 and he only really came on the radar at u19s. Ireland u19 play Japan on Tuesday i think and Mckillop is already confirmed as selected- interesting to see if Ward also makes it or what other Ulster players are involved

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Watching RTE earlier they were saying that a lot of this years U20s are actually U19 and will be back next year and that next year Ireland U20s will be even better than this year's team largely because of Leinster.

I see we've 6 players in the U19 squad, McFarlane and McKillop (mentioned above being two of them) although the three lads that played in the Schools Cup Final aren't amongst them which could be because they were playing in that match.

In regards to this year's U20s is there any chance James McNabney could get a run before the end of the season for Ulster? Even 20 minutes of the bench. I suppose the problem is every game is a cup final now so it is unlikely. Hopefully he isn't another Azur Allison/Lorcan Dow etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Theres generally a handful who play up a year but from look IRFU website sam prendergast, jacob sheehan, evan o connell, joe hopes all are underage. others dont have birthdays listed.

There will be another 19s squad named for the later games which will include those who were still involved with club in youths comps/schools in the cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster team to face Vodacom Bulls, Round 16 BKT United Rugby Championship, Saturday 25 March at Kingspan Stadium (KO 7 35pm), live on BBC NI, RTÉ, Viaplay and URC.tv

(15-9) Mike Lowry, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andy Warwick, Tom Stewart, Jeff Toomaga-Allen, Kieran Treadwell, Sam Carter, David McCann, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen (Captain).

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Gareth Milasinovich, Alan O’Connor, Harry Sheridan, Marcus Rea, John Cooney, Jude Postlethwaite.

The Bulls:

15 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 14 Canan Moodie, 13 Cornal Hendricks, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 David Kriel, 10 Chris Smith, 9 Zak Burger, 8 Elrigh Louw, 7 Cyle Brink, 6 Marco van Staden, 5 Ruan Nortje (c), 4 Ruan Vermaak, 3 Mornay Smith, 2 Johan Grobbelaar, 1 Gerhard Steenekamp.

Subs: 16 Bismarck du Plessis, 17 Simphiwe Matanzima, 18 Francois Klopper, 19 Janko Swanepoel, 20 WJ Steenkamp, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Morne Steyn, 23 Stedman Gans.

That's a good Ulster side. Hopefully we can get the job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Players 22 and younger - Stewart, McCann, Doak, Sheridan, Postlethwaite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That's a good Ulster team. Very exciting backline.

Good bunch of players there.

Stewart already in Ireland camp, it's surely just a matter of time before Doak gets there, Sheridan really looks the business and is arguably the find of the season for Ulster, McCann was excellent last time out and will hopefully get a run between now and the end of the season as he starts to realise his potential and Postlewhaite has bags of talent and from what I've seen will go far.

Obviously tomorrow is a massive game in its own right, but fast forward to next week and considering tomorrow's team what are we expecting team wise in Dublin?

15 Lowry

14 Baloucoune

13 Hume

12 McCloskey

11 Stockdale

10 Burns

9 Doak or Cooney?

8 Vermuelen

7 Timoney

6 McCann or Rea or Murphy or Sheridan?

5 Treadwell or Carter?

4 O'Connor or Carter?

3 Toomaga Allen or O'Toole

2 Herring or Stewart

1 Is Sutherland injured? He surely has to start if available

The backline picks itself except 9. The recent evidence points to Doak starting

The pack is a bit up in the air. If McCann performs well against the Bulls then I'd be inching towards him at 6. O'Connor and Treadwell in the row for me. 50/50 call at TH and Herring to start at hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

My back row would be mccann, Rea and vermeulan with timony as cover. Treadwell and Connor needs to start. With Sheridan as cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Lovely try. I really hope at some time very soon we see Balacoune perform for Ireland like he does for Ulster.

Really pleased for Baloucoune.

Doak with a brutal start - charge down, missed (difficult) kick, botched a break out wide, scrambled poorly to gift them a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tbf that's an utterly magic try from the Bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Oh that gave me the fizz. He ghosted in like a Marvel character!

Shaping up to be a nice open game for us neutrals.

This is a good game.

Ulster are def struggling with Bulla power game though. Their men are just running over tackles.

That was a poor watch but you can't blame us for being rusty - we're missing like two players because of the six nations, Baloucoune is only just back and Vermuelen (our best player) is old.

But in all serious, as much as I'm well aware we go into next weeks champions cup game as heavy favourites, we should really have been attacking this game. Weeks of preparation just to put out..this. It would be disappointing if it wasn't entirely expected.

Anyway, new half new Ulster. Victory awaits us.

Tom Stewart!

That Ulster maul is so potent. This is a cracking game.

Took a lot of patience not to break away there. Had a defender looking right at him as well.

He’s such a quality player for a guy so young.

• Advertisement

Brilliant defensive stand there. Some massive hits in there from Stewart, Timoney and McCann.

Ulster have this. They've tightened up their defence and the Bulls, despite having some excellent backs, offer little other than a power game.

Doesn't have the sheer athleticism that Kelleher and Sheehan have but (injury permitting) is has a Herring-like career ahead of him.

Bismark is a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And a scumbag. Could do serious damage to the spine or kidneys with that filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Comprehensive. Never in Doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

How did the ref miss that tackle on Burns under his nose, some whip lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

In your opinion! This guy is a future Ulster captain and he will slug it out with Sheehan in the medium term. Kelleher will retire age 27.

• Advertisement

You usually talk a lot of sense but the idea that Stewart isn't athletic is just wrong certainly in comparison to Kelleher.His ceiling is way above Herring's. And I like Herring a lot.

He will naturally struggle in comparison to Sheahen for now. Sheahen is the best hooker on the planet so no shame there. But Stewart is absolute quality

Advertisement