Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The feeling that I got was that Munster didn't train with sufficient intensity during the six nations break.

There was something like a dozen knock ons that led to scrums. People complain that the Munster scrum was weak. I'd say that the weakness was more on the Glasgow put in. The Munster scrum was reasonable on their own put in. I'd say fixing their handling would be easier than improving that scrum.

In the wake of that Casey coming on with a bit of niggle seemed to lift the intensity of the entire team.

Kleyn was what he usually is. A powerful player thats a little slow and not athletic enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“Didn't just lose to be fair, their opponents were out of sight in the first half, in Thomond Park. 

And Munster make a bit of a habit of things like that.”

This is simply not true, tho.

Since the SA game, which was a bit of turning point in our season, we had lost 3 games, all by 1 score; once vs Leinster and twice vs Toulouse.

Mod: Friendly reminder folks, this is the Munster thread. Some posters of other Provinces have posted during a match for the first time in awhile, so it seems worthwhile to bring a section of the new Charter to your attention:

“Fans of any province are welcome to post in any provincial thread, but when you post in the thread of a province other than your own you must accept that if you are deemed to be trolling or griefing you will be dealt with more harshly”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

didn’t see the game but going by the scoreline. It seems that the defence which was really excellent in the early part of the season. Has now started to struggle. Is that personnel issue or is it just analysis has caught up with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Munster should have kept Ben Healy and shipped off Carbery....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd have two points on this.

The first is Antoine Frisch. His organisation on D, and relationship with Fekitoa, is a huge aspect of the defense when it has been performing at its best.

The second is Antoine Frisch. Offense is the best defense. He first allows Fekitoa to play 12 and make more space on first phase carries. His offloading and decision making have also been key, both in terms of unlocking defenses and securing possession.

Difficult to know, and we probably won’t have our answer until next week at least. But I worry it’s more the latter than the former.

The defensive issues have started to surface since the Benetton game. Both that, and the Scarlets game, we were cut up thru the middle a number of times. (That does coincide with the start of the 6 Nations tho).

To me, the first half 2nite absolutely seemed like a team who had done their homework on us. That, coupled with our ruck inaccuracy in the 1st half and really, there was no coming back. For me, both Carbery and Patterson were really poor defensively 2nite. Having a 9/10 of Casey/Patterson and Carbery could be an issue going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

I hope they bin the Crowley at 12 selections. Give him the 10 Jersey. Joey is consistently inconsistent.

Also signing a hooker has to be the no.1 priority surely. Would love a loose head also but hooker no.1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ok...let me put it this way then....Munster should have started Ben Healy more than Joey Carbery...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Some of my thoughts on that:

• Starting with the obvious, that first half was as poor as we’ve played since the start of the season. 
    • Jack O’Donoghue was the biggest disappointment for me 2nite. Captain subbed off after 52 mins tells it’s own story. 
    • And front-row more generally continues to be a real area of weakness.
    • Patterson is a live wire, but I still maintain some of his passing (and defending) is poor. 
    • Lineout issues, primarily from the throw. I think both Barron and Buckley threw a crooked lineout, and Barron got caught for a double-pumped (and was lucky to get away with it once or twice previously this season). That’s a pretty basic error, and something we need to iron out. Cost us possession in key positions. 
    • Onto the few positives, Nash was excellent. Casey was brilliant off the bench. And I’d like to see more of Crowley from 10, which I think we will see for the rest of the season, with Healy leaving. Good to get some more minutes into Snyman as well.
    • Thought Coombes did well too, got his customary try from 3m, but showed good hands through out. And Hodnett went well too. 
    • And still think our skill levels and handling in attack are looking a cut above where they were last season. (Albeit with some handling errors in the 1st half). Big question marks about our defence now tho, from both phase play and set piece.
    • Ultimately, a disappointing end to what could be our last home game of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Not blaming Joey Carbery whatsoever for tonight's result, it was an overall underperformance across the park imo.

However I agree with a lot of the previous posters.

Let Crowley have at it at 10 now.

Carbery is not going to improve Munster rugby's overall performance by him being at 10.

It's done now. It's a failed experiment.

Accept that it didn't work, and don't push it any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

We need another center. If Frisch gets injured we are reduced to either playing someone out of position or playing someone who is barely up to it at the professional level. Nankivell replacing Feikitoa will hopefully be an improvement but it’s not enough, Rory Scannell and Goggin are way off the pace at this level. Beyond that we have a 1st year academy winger we are trying to convert to a center and that’s it (Morris will be gone next year).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Ya I agree we need a 12. But doesn't matter who is in the centre if you have no set piece. And at the moment our set piece seems to rest on Niall scannells shoulders alone.

Think Patterson needs to learn to slow things down at times, his slider is too much to the chaos side of controlled chaos. No better man than Murray to learn from in that regards.

Think Carbery probably still offers more control and a fuller play book than Crowley but he's such a liability one on one defence that I wonder is it playing into a wider lack of confidence and players not quite trusting him.

The fightback was laudable but that first half would concern you to be honest. POM and Beirne will shore up the setpiece a good bit mind.

POM will definitely help, but Beirne is out for the foreseeable I think?

I’ve been pretty positive since the SA game, but the defence is looking very porous at the moment, really need to see an improvement there over the coming weeks or it could risk taking the sheen off what has been a broadly positive season.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

My worry as the first half drew to a close is that big turnovers by teams you'll shortly be seeing in knockouts can be momentum breaking. (I appreciate Munster unlikely to face Glasgow but they're another one of the teams that are up there).

Munster should be looking to peak, that was not a peak performance.

Re Beirne, I thought he was going to be back for business, that's a loss - not replaceable on the big days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Fineen Wycherley is too small to play 2nd row at this level. We need to play Ahern and Edogbo next week or we'll be beaten up in South Africa

Kendellan should take JODs place on the bench with POM returning to 6 with Hodnet and Coombes beside him

It's a huge week. The first actual knock out weekend coming up. We cannot repeat the errors we made yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Supposedly there is 1 signed, a very nuts and bolts player, nothing to get too excited about.

I think that new lad RG? Might be alright, I'd throw him into the 2nd next week

• Advertisement

Only got to watch this game this morning.

Bizarre how Munster’s defensive systems have collapsed over a couple of games - between the second half against Scarlets and the first half today they leaked 9 tries.

Set piece was a calamity yesterday, especially in first 50 mins. Kilcoyne has had a few really bad scrummaging days this season and was miles off the pace yesterday.

Don’t get the Kleyn criticism, he was visible and physical for me. He did what he does largely. Back row were outplayed, and half backs didn’t bring any composure or control.

I was impressed by Nash - he’s got more pace than I thought he had and was really busy looking to get involved throughout.

Crowley needs to be backed at 10 now. He’s not a 12, and Carbery is not playing well. Just back the guy who looks like he’ll be your future there.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Carbery has had his day in the sun. Need to transition to Crowley now the same way as the transition from Murray to Casey.

No disrespect but the team has to have a stronger out half who can point the finger,shout at lads, and, like Roy Keane or Sexton put the foot on the ball and say “let’s win this motherf’n game men “

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Yup, seems he was going to pack it in but Munster came knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

We’re in huge trouble at 10 next year unless carbery discovers form ….Crowley could and maby will be a superstar at 10 ….a few good cameos but we don’t know if he can control a game from there ….talks of jake Flannery comming back but he has done nothing in Ulster …….been a fan of carbery all along but just not going for him for a while ……Ben Healy is going to be a massive loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I doubt he’s fit enough to play 60+ minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Joey is just not a good out half. He has about a handful of good displays since he came to Munster. He's certainly not a player to bet your house on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Placeholder till the young hookers come through though surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon he's a good pick up. He's as good as Scannell and better than Barron.

Advertisement