Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

That's a class post.

She brings me back to the land and those qualities you mention of a similar time. I think of people who have passed many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

MAybe but Humans can be so thick and stupid. Its a pity we do not value nature more.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

My that's a rubbish whatever it's supposed to be. Certainly not music I can tell you.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭spakman

She'd be close to my father's age I'd say, but she reminds me more of my grandmother.

She said she grew up with her grandparents, which wasnt uncommon, and I'd say she took a lot from them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Singer reminds me of one of the gangster characters in The Simpsons.

• Advertisement
    Ms

All right are we going to start a petition to make sure Tommy cones back next year.

He is coming back next year isn't he?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,757 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I absolutely loved that Doug (the animal expert) pulled Tommy up on being a miserable melancholic git. With one line - at the end.

'I thought you were a comedian!?'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

I'm kinda shell shocked after watching Dolores, I've always been a huge fan of hers, I think that was an exceptional interview, there's just something very special about her, I really hope she finds happiness and content soon, she's a lady.

My father would by 97 if alive and I'd have vivid memories of men and women 20-30 years older than him, born around 1900.

Tommy a miserable, melancholic git is a bit harsh! He's trying to be thoughtful with his questions and it's not a comedy show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭spakman

Yeah, it's sad to think of her living a lonely life and obviously not very mobile. Someone who probably has no idea how many people admire her.

I doubt she'd be one for board or twitter 😅 but I hope someone lets her know the reaction she got.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Yeah, I've an old dog that most of the day she does nothing but is there on the sofa beside me and I'm always aware I'm not alone. She is very vocal and barks for her food or wants to go out if I'm not getting things on time.

I think with Dolores she would be better off with a cat or two as she has arthritis so would have trouble walking a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Becky headlined WrestleMania and won (WrestleMania being wrestling's Superbowl)

She has shared segments with The Rock and John Cena etc., she is one of the most over superstar wrestlers ever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭siblers

He was being quite dismissive and patronising in how he asked some of the questions. He could have asked them in a more respectful manner, he was pissing on her profession with his attitude.

Also throwing in 'were you lonely as a child?' question at the end was a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

He immediately put Becky on the defensive as a guest. I'm sure she thrilled to go through the whole it's fake and the people who watch are stupid stuff.

Becky is funny and if he immediately didn't go down that route she could have had the craic with him. Instead she had to defend her job.

Tommy talked about wrestling being fake and people responding to something not real and could not get his head around it.

Yeah Tommy I'm sure you lie or make stuff up in your comedy and people respond to it. It's no different.

Becky interview was the worst performance I've ever seen on the show - from Tommy that is. I remember him talking about his interviewing philosophy being about imagining a light inside his guest and trying to make the light shine, here he took the 'wrestling is fixed line' (obviously it is) and persisted with it for much of the interview. But for her grace and character it would have been a disaster of an interview. A missed opportunity to explore her amazing success and find out the genuine appeal of an apparently ludicrous realm. And a missed opportunity for her to give an interview in her home country as the person not the wrestler.

As has been pointed out the last two questions about a tough childhood and being a loner were a kind of pathetic and way too direct way to ask about the person not the wrestler. Asking her how she wanted to be signed off as was bizarre, he spent 95% of the time effectively mocking the wrestler her despite her amazing success and we never got to know the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

She a performer, actor... She even introduced herself with her stage name. That shite sells in the US, its all about the performance.... Sport is seen in a different way in this country. Fair play to her she seems to have done well for herself. Tommy was alluding to the attention side of what she does when he was asking about her childhood and lonelyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

He thinks he's an armchair psychotherapist.

Not really, he's just inquisitive.

I guess the point people are making is that these questions were too little too late. She's not to 'blame' for the difference between sport her and in the US. She loved WWE as a kid and is living the dream, more power to her.

I also think the athlethism of WWE performance barely got a mention. Plus overcoming the challenge of having a child then getting back to the pinnacle of her sport is something men don't have to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Deleted

Post edited by gandalfio on

?????? Wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'll tell ye, he went down in my estimation last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Lazy excuse of show which doesn't put in research.

Then sells that as a novelty.

TV equivalent of giving someone a Lucky Bag as an Xmas gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yes, same here. You could see that she was a bit hurt by his tone at the beginning of the interview. It was very, very poor from him.

Ms

You could say that but then with him not knowing who he will be interviewing untill he meets them means he has to but more effort into it. Kind of like going on a date. If the person you are meeting wants to know everything about you and not tell you anything about them it's not going to go very far. It has to work both ways some give and take.

You see someone like Ryan Tubridy on the Late Late Show who seemingly has done research on people he interviews and yet he still makes it so dreary, boring and scripted.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,816 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That's the USP of the show.

I.E. That is what you the viewer is being offered, the joy of serendipity or not knowing where something is going to go.

Nobody is selling you anything else.

Not buying? Try something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I missed the start of the first interview with Becky, while I was vaguely aware of her I have no interest in wrestling so wasn't aware how successful she is, I think she actually came across very well. I didn't think Tommy was being dismissive of her (Maybe I missed that part), just thought he was being inquisitive about how wrestling works with the predetermined outcomes and the US crowds lapping it up. I thought the interview with the nature camera man was great, he certainly has had an interesting life. And Dolores interview was exceptional, but hard to watch too, as she came across as someone who's very lonely and depressed with life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

To me, the idea that Tommy could say the wrong thing to a guest is part of the appeal of the show. That bit of jeopardy gives the show an edge which few, if any, other televised chat shows have. It can lead to beautiful moments and also other moments which have you thinking about curling up behind the settee. Sometimes in the same show.

Tommy's of a generation who grew up on Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks bumping bellies, and there's a whole generation like him for whom that is their abiding perception of pro wrestling. I think some people are overlooking that Becky took that and by the end of the interview had clearly put across what it takes to be a top flight pro wrestler these days and left Tommy looking rather impressed.

Anyway, that Dolores Keane interview was something else. If anything captures the spirit of the old Late Late Show, it's interviews like these.

"Do you live on your own?"

"I do"

"How's that?"

"Horrible!

...horrible. I wouldn't wish it on anyone."

Jaysus.

Advertisement