Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What metric are you applying to TT's career to dismiss him as "hopeless at everything".

He's going now for over 30 years selling tickets and even winning awards for his comedy.

He has done acting work in film and TV as well as some radio presenting.

His current RTE show is drawing good viewing figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Drawing in good viewers, it's lost a lot of them, though it is going a number of years.

RTÉ always flash the audience figures when they are good, but not so much when they are bad. Watch Claire Byrne's Ireland's Smartest get large numbers in week one, largely by people to see if she's good enough for TLLS and then the following week to have low figures because RTÉ don't seem to know how to produce the most basic of TV programmes.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

I guess that you meant to refer to Brendan O'Connor, not Brendan O'Carroll.

O'Connor has his faults but at least, unlike Tiernan, he has empathy. He has a child who has Downs syndrome and, on an edition of his Saturday night show, he interviewed, in a sensitive manner, a couple who went to Britain so that the woman could have a termination because of her unborn child's foetal abnormality and also, tactfully, mentioned that, for the sake of balance, he had to state that there are people who would disagree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I think she is. In fact, i'd put money on it.

Why do you think she isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

The Tiernan show isn't on next Saturday. Was last night's episode the last in the current series?

• Advertisement

Yeah 12 week run, they have started to record Ask Me Anything, I assume that will start back in September and have a similar run.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Because she is not listed on his website as one of his clients.

Ah skimpy, we've had this one out before.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057868730/dee-forbes-banging-the-rte-tv-licence-drum-again-60m-uncollected-fee-poll-not-working-pl-ignore/p299

A large amount of the NK's contractors don't do the website...it really is as simple as that. They can choose whether to publicly align with him or not - it means nothing if they are not on the site. Take Maura Deranne for instance, she's not on the site either but she is NKM 100%

From Met.ie -

Joanna is a regular contributor on the Claire Byrne Radio show where she is regularly heard talking about her favourite subject, the weather, the climate and weather lore. She is also a regular on the Today Show and is a member of the News Panel, discussing current events.

The basic rule is - If someone is a regular on CB radio/TV, they are NKM. Claire is utterly shameless promoting her team mates. I'm not sure why Claire does this or what's in it for her, I guess we'll never know

I stand corrected. Why the hell does RTE allow this to happen? NK has too much power in RTE.

• Advertisement

Well you are never going to find a station that doesn't big up their own output.

As for CB's new show it might be a wee bit early to be writing it off.

It might be but ... RTÉ have form on this ... and even if the show is not good Claire Byrne should be able to bring in those viewers.

And we should take an anylitical look at audience number when it comes to stars remember RTÉ states that these stars bring in revenue and that its only 1% of their total budget and that the rest goes on ... "other things".

Just think of Tubs in Gerry Ryan's old slot for 5 years and how that worked out.

______

Yesterday

Can Dee Forbes and RTE tell us what "other things" actually is.

Moving expenses, executive expenses, executive cars, a pension.... Try it some time...

______

Yesterday

I don't even like quiz shows so I'll be at a loss to know if it's any good.

As I've said many times before all that "top 10 paid too much" won't amount to a hill of beans in the overall picture.

But you can make a small cut to Lyric FM and that will? Or you can cut funding to children's tv and that will? or you can cut funding to indo drama and that will? or you can increase licence fee funding to RTÉ2fm and continue to spend 25m on imported programming. you can be gifted an exit from the NSO from the Dept in 2021 but not take it until 2022.

All ads up you should look at that link as to what RTÉ do then consider what they don't do, much like quiz shows they don't make an awful lot of them, weather you like something or not RTÉ should at least try. I don't like chat shows but I don't think RTÉ should axe all of the ones they produce.

______

Yesterday

I'd safely say there's not a company or organisation of any kind that couldn't do with a good look under the bonnet.

The sooner the better we decide what it is we want from public broadcasting and then fund it.

Obviously we are in agreement that we don't expect to like everything that appears on our screens but have no problem with it being there for others.

So you saying that the incoming DG should take a good look under that bonnet see what's going on? Maybe propose a restructuring of the their executive board and a oneness to the organisation that would remove the silos within the organisation.

And I suppose over the next 7 years you'd propose that we set up and Joint Committee of the Oireachtas to examine what PSB/M is and what kind of PSB/M we want and to then provide a report to the Minister in charge... and following that I don't know a Forum on Broadcasting that the government of the day would agree to carrying out its works without delay ... followed by an interdepartmental look at the funding of RTÉ which should report back in Nov 2030?

And wash and repeat?

______

Yesterday

One fairly simple answer is for the new DG's remuneration to be performance related. They'll get a decent enough base salary - If they clean the place up, make the changes needed, cut costs and do what ever else they see necessary, they get a lovely big bonus, if not, it's just the base salary

Dee seemed to think that the job entailed - Getting a massive salary/bonus/pension/car allowance etc and in return, all she had to do was talk management speak waffle twice a year, do lunch with the girls, beg for more money from the government three times a year, hide anytime anything controversial happened and avoid the PAC.

If anything in the country needed to be kicked over to a citizens assembly (at a bare min), it's RTE

• Advertisement

Good one 🙂

You know the old saying about the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

We really don't have time for shadow boxing and playing games.

I'd hope for a quick and decisive process but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

But you've never really said what you want or how you would fund it, you can't have an agreement without putting forward some opinion on what PSB/M is or what it should be in the future. You've continual had the line "The sooner the better we decide what it is we want from public broadcasting and then fund it." but you've never really expressed an opinion that either the current service provided by either PSB/M is bad or good. Though I think you've mentioned exchequer funding.

Your argument remains circular even when I point out all of the things that have been progress by different Ministers and departments since Dee Forbes became DG of RTÉ.

You seem not to think that the change in DG helps to constantly review the workings of RTÉ and that you'd "safely say there's not a company or organisation of any kind that couldn't do with a good look under the bonnet." have they even looked under that bonnet?

And to avoid any defense of RTÉ you end your post with things like "I'd hope for a quick and decisive process but I'm prepared to be disappointed."

But you tell us nothing of where you are on the topic at hand.

For example what do you think of the news service provided on RTÉ2 versus its commercial counterpart VMTV ONE or its PSB counterpart TG4. And does the answer tell you something?

______

Yesterday

Actually on this occasion I dropped into the thread to make a point about Tommy Tiernan.

One thing borrowed another and here we are.

As I have outlined before many times I want a Public Broadcasting Service that is properly funded.

I would like to see broad community agreement as to the shape and scope of the PBS.

My own preference is for direct exchequer funding.

I'm not defending or attacking anyone.

I though you were making about about BoC and his relationship to a former RTÉ executive! I think TT's point was lost, when you posted a link to the 99% of "other things" RTÉ provide.

And the Broad community support for what we want for PSB has been given, and several times over, there are only so many consultations that you can have.

I disagree with direct exchequer funding which I have outline and TG4's exchequer funding is a good example of why it should not be exchequer lead.

You want better funding but for what? What we have?

______

Yesterday

The John Caden ref. was a different thread.

Things often get lost in threads.

I expect we will continue with the licence which while it's not a deal breaker for me is a very 20th century way of funding.

Better funding for what we want.

Arrrghhh honestly take out the "we" and tell what you would like. If lets say you were in a discussion at a public forum organized by officialdom and the first question was: -

What do you believe public service broadcasting to be?

How would you answer this.

If you want to explore what people want you need to tell others what you would like? They might turn around and say I disagree but ... I do agree with X, Y and Z. Then you come to some conclusion as to what people want in general. It could be simply be:-

I think RTÉ do a good job on the budget the have and I believe that the only issue is funding and I think we need to increase it, but in general I believe the we should keep the current set up of services and content coming from the 2 incumbents.*

*This is a sample answer to the question. I may agree or disagree with this statement, but would be happy to discuss such a statement in a forum to progress the idea of what the public in general may want or may agree to.

______

Yesterday

The only 2 cuts from RTE's 2019 masterplan that have been implemented is the very modest cut to top presenters pay and the shutdown of 4 or 5 Dab radio transmitters. With dab, the network closed but the stations remained and expenditure on RTE Gold has ballooned.

Relax, this is just a friendly chat about telly and radio.

My personal preferences are only peripheral to the discussion.

Answer your own questions and I'll stick to posting in my comfort zone.

I know but I cannot have a friendly chat or any type of conversation with someone who's really unwilling to give any views on the topic at hand, I may as well talk to the wall.

I will continue to try to convince you and others that RTÉ is badly managed and I will put forward many examples of such bad management. I hope you are seeing that and are listening.

Perfect example. They also failed to move the NSO over to the NCH in 2021, costing the ~€8m in that year. Imagine after producing an "independent" report in 2017/2018 and then getting government "in principle" agreement with the move that when they got the full green light following many meetings with the NCH from 2018 to 2020, neither management team could make the move for 2021!

Terrible management of the state broadcaster by all involved. IMO.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

So you obviously didn't see the absolute car crash interview with Pussy Riot after they got out of one of Putin's Gulags? This was the first interview they did after their release, and their first in the west, so it was a big thing. O'Connor made an absolute show of himself in that interview. It was almost as if he didn't want them at all and resented the fact that they were getting more attention than he was. Not much nous or empathy on display that day. But plenty of ego though.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Advertisement