Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭KH25

Second half we were much better. Wasn’t impressed with Harry live - thought he forced things too much and his kicking was poor. Penny deserved POTM though, good game from him.

Thought the ref was very poor. Ignored repeated offsides and side entries from the Stormers and looked like a shoulder to the head on Frawley that was just ignored.

All in all the draw is a good result, but I feel we had the winning of that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Was really impressed with Milne,i think Cullen might start him against Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There’s not a snowballs, that we won’t start Porter against Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The starting front row were very impressive, Penny was outstanding as was Ruddock. Ruddock busting a lung to chase down the intercepted lineout was inspiring.

Harry Byrne had a great game, goal-kicks aside, thought he varied the play really well and some of his kicks from hand were incredible.

Great position to be in now, can pick and rest players as we see fit for Europe and send a shadow squad to SA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That was a brilliant game, not sure how the conditions came across on TV but they were woeful, the wind was very intense and swirling. Penny brilliant again and Rob Russell had some big moments. Stormers handling was impressive in the conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

First game I've been at in ages. Grwsy atmosphere despite the terrible conditions, but given where it was after half an hour, not a bad result. Wonder though if they should have gone for the corner at the end? Thought Deegan was very impressive, penney too obviously and Larmour not bad at full back. Wouldn't have known all the players though. Loved Ruddock chasing back for the length of the pitch to help stop another intercept/ breakaway try.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Twas a good advert for the league. Stormers gonna be hard to beat in SA. They got the result with Tricky playing at 10, even more impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Do you mean the Stormers got the result? Because they absolutely didn't.

Incredible commitment from all of them. Think if the guy had just held his line and gone for the corner he'd have made it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That was a great match! The conditions made it more of a spectacle. Stormers brought the strenght and physicality and Leinster hung in and got on top. Brilliant effort!

Milne again stepping up! Turner again showing he's more than capable and Russell deserves credit too.

I think Ruddock was our best player, with Deegan right there also. HB was good and Frawley also.

The last home match in the league and it was probably the best, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

The sub front row did really well too, got smashed in their first scrum but were rock solid after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Milne looks like he's developing into a player. Should have Healy under pressure for the rest of the season.

Kearney has been very consistent lately. He's come back again. That backline has serious pace. Turner and Russell are fast and Frawley seems to have good pace, Larmour chasing back the 2nd try was a great effort.

After watching it again, I think HB did better than I had thought. He straightened the defence and attacked the line. Atrocious conditions for kicking. That was a difficulty for him.

Stormers physicality in the 1st half was intense. Our lads hung in and stood up to them. Where is Dweeba's neck? What a beast! Maherlbe is massive! Milne looked like a little boy next to him. McKee continues to impress. The gap between the top 2 and McKee will be close next season. He's a great prospect, very good performer this season.

It's very hard to blame him on the kicks at goal, kicking from the touchline in that wind is nearly impossible.

Totally agree on D.Kearney, was excellent and was also excellent against Edinburgh last time out.

Not trying to blame him. The conditions were awful. He played well imo.

Ah I know you weren't, just a turn of phrase. I'm agreeing with you basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Good win for Ulster tonight. They're well and truly over their mid-season slump. I'm quite worried about next weekends game. They're relatively well rested whilst our players have been on international duty then on the piss. Their driving maul is a proper weapon.

I do think there are some areas Leinster can exploit however. Ulster fronted up well against the Bulls pack, but struggled to get anything out of their backline. Hume and Lowry look out of form. If Leinster can can the nudge up front Ulster won't have the other tools to break us down.

I'm concerned too! Ulster have gone well lately and have little disruption in the squad.

Hume *has* to be carrying a knock, just hasn't had the impact this season and certainly hasn't kicked on from last year.

Think Leinster will have enough provided there isn't another post six nations slump.

• Advertisement

Reintegration can be problematic. Minus Sexton and Keenan. Ringrose probably out also. I hope we are on the boil.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Hume injury over the summer tour was pretty bad. Loss a good bit of lateral power which is massive to his game.

Not sure Sexton was playing either way, Keenan wasn't too bad so may be available but JOB can slot straight in. Ringrose could be stood down a few weeks but Osbourne - Henshaw a fine combo.

Where was Osbourne yesterday though, is he injured too?

Hopefully then

Keenan/JOB

Larmour/JOB

Henshaw

Osbourne

Lowe

Byrne

JGP

Doris

VDF

Baird

Jenkins

Ryan

Furlong

Sheehan

Porter

That's a damn good side. I would hope Ringrose isn't considered. Conan could easily start as well but he's had huge impact from the bench in the 6N. Tough call between JOB and Larmour if all the back 3 are fit. No concerns over Byrne in for Sexton for me, Byrne has been excellent this season.

Osborne is injured AFAIK, so likely Frawley and Henshaw in the centre.

Or maybe JOB at 13 and Kearney on the wing.

I don’t think Osborne will be available, but I think a centre combo of Frawley and Henshaw sounds really good.

I hope Sheehan is fit - have heard mixed things on his fitness level. McKee / Barron isn’t the combo you want at this level yet.

I think Hugo will be good to go, so can see JOB and Lowe on the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Think we'll see Larmour ahead of JOB. The former has been in excellent form on the wing and the latter can cover most positions across the backline in the event of inury.

Osborne was wearing a boot recently, a medical boot. Kelleher injured his shoulder, he could be out for the rest of the year. Ringrose should be rested, his health is more important. Luckily the squad is deep. Ulster have been good recently after that dip in form. This encounter should be fantastic.

I really dislike this set up. The old set up was better. No round of 16. I hope this system is cast off after this season.

• Advertisement

Any info on Clarkson? Was he dropped this past weekend? My guess is he was. He hasn't kicked on and patience may be running thin.

I think tight head could be a worry for us. The depth after the 2 front liners is seriuos.

Advertisement