Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

Larmour ahead of JOB on the wing, but JOB at FB for me if Keenan isn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Does Furlong bench? Is he ready? What about Milne? Has he earned a bench role? I'd be happy if Deegan or Penny get into the 23. They've done very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobb Sapp

I got it wrong according to Dobbo’s pregame interview. I believe this will be the blueprint all teams bring when playing Leinster going forward:

Dobson said:

“We’re trying to shut it [the attack] down, absorb, absorb, strike. These guys are coming at you all the time.

“It’s really going to be the Irish breakdown, two guys over the ball collapsing, stuff like that; whereas we need to make that a three, four-second ruck. South Africans have the ability to do that.

“We’d be a bit braver than the Springboks, but it will be a similar challenge. Can linespeed slow down their attack? Can we slow down their ball to allow us to get the linespeed? Like the Springboks, we want double tackles.”

I think the Stormers showed good line speed all game and it shut Leinster down well and reaped good results, however, Stormers we’re caught out off a couple of kick return efforts. They spilled ball which led to tries for Leinster. I called that out pre-game and it is also something Sharks lacked when playing Leinster earlier in the season - good back three fielding and defence.

It was a good game for the neutral and was a marked change to the regular drubbings Leinster hand out at home. It’s good for the League that teams can come to the RDS and put it up to Leinster. It makes the League more viable and stable product and gives other teams impetus to copy the blueprint the Stormers used and beat Leinster in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Did you see the teams selection? Excellent result.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Id say he was unavailable. No other reason to pick the (likely) outgoing Vakh on the bench over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

If Milne continues his current trajectory and Boyle becomes the player we think he will, will we see Porter move back to tighthead in a couple of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I can't see either of the latter two happening, Deegan or Penny would mean one of Conan or Baird doesn't make it, and Milne would mean Healy doesn't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Clarkson isn't injured. He was involved in the warm-up on Friday evening.

I reckon that's very possible! It might also be a smart move.

• Advertisement

That's true. But for some continuity, I would not do a complete overhaul. We could start all of the international lads and they could be flat?

Henshaw and furlong should be ready to go. Porter could be held in reserve and start healy. Jenkins and Baird in the row, with conan, jvdf and Doris in the row with deegan covering.

Byrne X 2 at outhalf and 22. Jgp to start. Henshaw and Osbourne in centre?

Assuming Keenan is still under RTP, larmour at 15 with JOB and Lowe.

This is knock out, well can't afford to be complacent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Why do people think Keenan won't be OK? It'll be two weeks since the England game.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DelMcG

He was wearing a Chelsea jersey in that Ringrose video. Surely that's an indication of a pretty serious head injury...

nothing other than playing 5 x 80 minute games over the last 7 weeks. if anyone is due a rest week its him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan was the best second row of any side in the Six Nations. No chance he doesn't start against Ulster if he's fit.

If Leinster beat Ulster, the QF is due to take place just one week after. We'll need him ready for that game and not going into it cold.

With the squad doing the business against the Stormers there's no need for the front liners to travel to South Africa. There's three weeks between the QF and SF. That's enough time for Leinster's core players to rest and recuperate.

Regarding the upcoming soiree to the southern hemisphere, I would go with the runts. There's no reason that Culhane, Boyle and even Lasisi can't start in these matches. Fcuk, I'd give Clarkson a shout, just to see what he has. Lee Barron could get a start, Deeny certainly and maybe Sam P. There's no point in risking the established lads. Besides, Rhys will probably be there along with DK. It's also a chance for TOB and some academy lads to lay down a marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd imagine we'll see something along the lines of Byrne, McKee, Clarkson, Molony, Deeny, Ruddock, Connors, Deegan, McCarthy, Byrne, DK, Frawley, Turner, Russell, TOB as our starting line up for the Lions.

Can see Soroka, Cosgrave, MOR, Barron, Boyle and Lassisi all going down there too.

With a potential fixture list of two European games in advance and one directly afterwards, I don't think any member of the first choice 23 is going to SA although a few who faced Leicester last season went, in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd imagine the SA trip will be his rest. Leinster almost certainly going full strength this weekend. The only possible change I'd look at would be Healy at loosehead to go after the scrum early on, potentially. We absolutely demolished the Ulster scrum in December with Healy at loosehead before his red card even driving them off their own ball.

Would be no bad thing to have Porter coming off the bench after 50 minutes to rip into them.

Don't think I'd consider any other changes. Will be interesting to see what is deemed the first choice partnership at lock and who plays blindside. With guys like Moore and Henderson out, it's very tempting to go with Ryan, Jenkins and Baird to all start and look to turn the screw in the set piece and tight in a big way.

Can't see any circumstance where James Ryan is rested for a European knockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

We brought a squad of 31 last year and I'd anticipate us doing something similar this year https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/rhys-ruddock-to-lead-leinster-rugby-in-south-africa/

Although we did bring a few more front line players who only played the first week and flew home as I recall (Kelleher might have even gotten injured before he played)

But with that I imagine we're looking at bringing:

Boyle, Byrne, Milne

Barron, McKee, McElroy

Abdaladze, Clarkson, Lasisi

Deeny, Mangan, Soroka, Molony

Connors, Culhane, Deegan, Penny, Ruddock

Murphy, McCarthy, Gunne

Prendergast, Tector

Brownlee, O'Brien, Osbourne, Turner

Cosgrave, Kearney, King, Russell

30 man squad there. Very thin on outside backs. Osborne might not travel but I'm not sure who else you put in as an outside back alternative. I don't think MOR is in the picture anymore or wont be next season.

I don't think Foley will be fit. I would still take Gunne being honest. No better way to get integrated and comfortable with the squad.

We're guaranteed without Sexton for the foreseeable (possibly forever :( ) so no point risking Harry or Frawley out there. Great chance for Tector and Prendergast.

SOB is off so I haven't included him. Hopefully Culhane can get a good chunk of minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is no way they are going with Tector and Prendergast as the only 10 options! Let's be realistic here.

RB is our number 10 - I suspect HB will travel as the 10 on this trip.

is ngatai gone for the season then?

I am being realistic?

Assuming we beat Ulster this weekend (big if but we're still heavy favourites) we have some significant knock out rugby coming up.

Currently Ross is in the driving seat at 10 with Harry the second choice and Frawley the only other option. I think we have to be realistic with our Sexton expectations and assume he will not play.

Why on earth would we send Harry or Frawley and their injury profiles on a tour down south in league games where we're already guaranteed to finish top?

Now there is a strong possibility we lose to Ulster in the round of 16 OR to Tigers/ Edinburgh in the QF before we travel to South Africa, in which case there is absolutely merit to sending one of them as we would need full focus on the URC.

"No further update" on hamstring injuries are rarely quick affairs in Leinster usually

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because we're not going to send our 5th and 6th choice 10s on a tour to SA? One of whom has never played for Leinster, one whom has 46 mins of professional rugby and both of whom are still in the academy.

There is also very much not a strong possibility we lose to Ulster or Tigers/Edinburgh. There is a remote chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Game time.

We don't want to be calling on someone in late May with their last game being 24 March.

• Advertisement

If we're still in Europe by the time the South African tour rolls around we're absolutely not sending either Byrne or Frawley.

I'm not going to be shifted from this viewpoint.

This tour is a development opportunity and nothing more. Last season we needed some results from the 2 games which is why one could argue sending an experienced half back. This tour we could lose by 100 and still finish top. We're not risking front liners when we've knock out rugby to focus on

Advertisement