Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal for landlord tax break in budget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

You must have been hiding under a bush the last while. Landlords are trying their best to sell up. Now we have Leo as well encouraging people not to move out. Every obstacle they can muster is being put in the way of landlords selling their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So maybe a tax break as part of a package might help.

I thought the 90% was a bit steep because I know landlords who while they grumble are staying in the business.

What's need is something to give breathing space until supply picks up.

An old saying in business is that it's easier to keep an existing customer than to find a new one.

Maybe something similar applies to landlords.

The horse has bolted. Not only are you losing customers, but you are frightening any others from coming in the door. At this point they wont believe any promises, and the certainly wont believe that something good to come is not a trick to be pulled away with yet another new legislation in 6 months.

Personally I dont think anything they do will pull it back. They have made it clear now that they dont want property owners to have any control over their own property. Even that Sh1te Leo came out with today is basically telling people to stay when their landlord wants to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

I couldn't agree with you more. Thats what I've hated on these threads , landlords crying the poor mouth.

<Mod Snip>

Autonomy of property - they are completely correct , there's a lot of issues there. There's been a lot of anti LL policies , but they do not need to be given money (in the form of a tax break).

Mod Note.

Keep the foul language off thread please.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Something like that seems like a rational solution from a disinterested perspective. 1. Put some some protections in place for the tenant. 2. Massively ramp up supply of new builds. 3. At that point protections for the tenant are no longer needed as landlords are only too happy to have tenants in a situation of abundant supply, and the protections put in earlier are no longer a burden on the landlord.

• Advertisement

They haven't been able , they will be now , course they should have always been allowed leave the market though. Also 90% -Hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

151st posting of the same thing.

Any chance you'd change the record, or at least maybe develop your points a little bit, just for a bit of variety, like 🙄

Post edited by Gumbo on

Thats why we are where we are now. People too consumed with their own prejudice that they cant step back and look at the big picture. And politicians so concerned with getting those peoples votes that they will not dare address the elephant in the room and instead pander to them. There is no way back at this point i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The government/Revenue could make rental income completely exempt from tax and I wouldn't dream of becoming a landlord when the Taoiseach goes on record encouraging tenants not to vacate a property when issued with an eviction notice.

• Advertisement

How is it prejudice to believe LLs shouldn't get tax breaks? I'm still laughing at your 90% hahahahah there is a lot of landlords making some lovely money out there , you seem very concerned for them.

I know. What a stupid statement from him. He now done even more damage, which i thought wasnt possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Possibly a more stupid comment than his intern "joke" in Washington last week. FG need to put Coveney in as leader asap before Leo digs an even deeper grave for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thankfully the end of this eviction ban will allow many to sell. That sounds like what you want here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,799 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

In case anyone was unaware, Squidgainz does not believe landlords should get a tax break.

He'll be along to tell you again in a page or two, just in case you've forgotten.

I don't want landlords paying less tax. I have been so so clear on this hahahaha

Coveny, the man who started the country down the road of mass homelessness. I think id rather have Leo, barely :)

Jesus, it wasn't even two.

Reported for spamming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s fine. That’s your opinion and entitled to it. There’s no constructive addition to the ha ha ha ha and I’m struggling to see what your intent is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Like I said yesterday its not promises but legal contracts I'm suggesting.

A 5 year form of contract to reward landlords for continuing to provide accomodation.

It doesn't have to be a tax break per se, maybe something like an exit bonus.

It's counter intuitive to suggest that landlords wont be interested in extra income. That's why they are in the business.

Every unit that is kept in the market is a bonus at this stage.

It also helps to avoid local authorities taking ownership of unsuitable properties which will cause further headaches down the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Thought that prize went to Alan Kelly of the labour party, he brought in the first 2 year rent freeze back in 2015 along with increased notice periods and statutory declarations. Frequent changes since then that have increased tenant protections yet some people are still calling for more. Will it ever be sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

It’s what’s going to happen, it’s literally the only tool left in the box that doesn’t ‘endanger’ tenants, they’ll never make it easier to evict, and I can’t see them changing the RPZ status, because it’ll be too much hard work, they may do something around it but it’ll be gradual.

They could try the stick approach with another ban but that’s going to lead to a constitutional challenge and that’s a road the government doesn’t want to go down, because if it’s found to be unconstitutional in the first place, all those guys who wanted to sell will have cases against the government that they were prevented from doing so, also all the people who wanted to buy who couldn’t and then mortgage approval lapsed will have cases too, because they were prevented by something unconstitutional, may even go back to the Covid ban, so no they won’t do this.

the only thing they can do relatively quickly is cut taxes and cut them to the bone it’s the only thinG they have left

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The difficulty is in your inability to read and comprehend, and to instead waste your time constructing strawmen. That is on you and you alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Started reading this thread, didn't cop it was from 2016, I thought it was a new thread.

Things haven't changed much in the meantime! And if they have it's for the worse!

It's funny that I didn't name you specifically but you were able to recognise yourself in my post and I think you summed up what I was saying quite well.

I'm moving on now and I'll stick you on ignore as to not derail the thread any further. Have a good day Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

A lot of landlords (understandably, I think), while they understand the need for regulation, complain of uncertainty in that regulation. One minute the government are allowing a particular thing, then they ban it, then they allow it again.

So I was wondering that instead of tax brakes, might it be an idea instead for the Govenrnment to research rental markets around the world, find out which ones are stable and provide reasonable returns for landlords as well as a decent amount of security for tenant. I posted the example of Vienna, a signficicant and historical city of just under two million, where rentals seem to work. Vienna suffered large scale bombing during WWII and so had to deal with housing shortages just like we are today but for different reasons. I will try to find the post and link it here.

The idea here would be that best practices would be based on what works elsewhere with certain adaptations to local conditions and would stay that way long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Donald Trump is not to post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭DubCount

That would be sensible, but wont happen. All politicians are married to populism, and making sensible steps which are unpopular, is never on the agenda.

Take rent controls. Rent controls have been tried many times in many places, and never work. Stable rental markets in other parts of the world do not have rent controls - but we wont be dropping them any time soon as who wants to be the minister responsible for a Prime Time special on why one family in Mayo who have a current rent of 500 per month are going to have to pay 900 per month even though market rent has been over 1000 per month. Even if this might reduce rents overall, its unpopular and therefore wont happen.

Besides, the real thing that provides stability, is balance between supply and demand. We simply dont have enough houses and apartments to provide a home to everyone who needs one. Until we get that, no structure will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

At time of historic high rents and demand, and historic shortage, and there's a flood of LLs are falling over themselves to to exit the market.

Why on earth do you think a little extra income, is going to make any difference?

Advertisement