Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycle old pc

Options
2»

Comments

• I first used a Mac 2 for the purpose of writing a biography which was published by Blackwater Press in 1993, so I was initially drawn to that. But what I did purchase was a Dell with Windows 3.1, where I initially tangented whimsically from OP’s only 10-years-old PC. Out of curiosity I must see what exact model it must have been. It was less expensive than a Mac 2, overall a better “teacher”, and kickstarted files I still have in my possession.

• A memory of beige-ness. All black set-ups started to become a thing, initially reserved for top spec models, one of which I was sorely tempted to get and which actually came with a screen top camera of all things. These early machines with Windows 3.1 and Microsoft Home Suite or whatever it was called back then, had very nice teach-yourself modules which rewarded you with a nice little video display once completed.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

One college I was in had an Apple IIfx. Had those two drive slots. Only one had a drive in it though. We had to keep opening it to rescue people's discs that fell into the empty slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,793 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You could get a ZX81 for 50 quid, a Spectrum for 150 or a C64 for 330 in 1983. In Carlow. Those systems, plus BBCs, Amstras, and latterly Amigas were available everywhere and much, much more affordable for the average person on an average salary than a IBM clone - let alone the top end computer from the dearest home computer vendor ever like a Mac II.

Plenty of people had home computer back then, not just the rich or nerdy. It wasn't until the mid 1990s that the mass market moved to Windows systems.

• Where I was given access to the Mac 2 was in a community arts support charity, when the 2 staff members left work at 5.30pm they kindly gave the keys to myself and my friend to work on the book using our own 3.5 “floppies”. Only the 5s were truly floppy, you could bend & crush them with your hand in an instant. In the office was another Mac, with two floppy drives and no hard drive.

• Advertisement

If it was 3.1 its was mostly likely a 486. The equivalent Mac was a LC.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• It had an Intel 386 iirc, next PC I got had a 486, one after that a Pentium. Started in the slow lane, but I think a had more RAM than the 4mb big standard in the day, and certainly more than the 40mb hard disc, also big entry level standard in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have passed on 4 desktops i no longer needed and was not scrapping as like much more repurpose them.

https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/wanted-pc-for-free/17856210

Windows 3.0 in 1990 and Windows 3.1 in 1992.

486 came out in 1989/1990 the DX2 in 1992.  

Apple LC sold between October 1990 to March 1992.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Going down memory lane, I’m trying to recall exactly when I got my first PC. Book (biography of friend undergoing lung transplant) was published 1993, just as he was recovering from it, having started it a bit less than a year before. Launched on Pat Kenny show and a best-seller for a week. It was a momentous occasion in my life, I had known shag all about word processing etc before that. I finished off the biography on a typewriter as I no longer had access to the Mac.

Around that time I was considering options of purchasing my own machine as I enjoyed so very much using the Mac. It was Mac or PC, PC or Mac. Being artistic I had heard the Mac might overall suit me better, but I was equally keen to see sone underbelly of operations. PC it was.

I was into archiving and genealogy, a hand scanner was a must for capturing photos. Flatbed scanners were prohibitive! People have no idea now how expensive this realm could be. There were no usb ports, and I started getting my screwdriver out to fit the scanner port, when my mother, who knew feck all, grabbed it from my fiddly hands and fitted it in a jiffy 🤣 To install the driver software on DOS was fiddly, but the Eureka moment came with the scanner scanning an ancient family photo or two and some archival material for digital posterity, now all online.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Macs have always been much more expensive than pcs of a similar tech spec but there used to be alot of high quality programs on mac used by designers artists , i presume theres no loads of high quality design programs on pc now that are as good as programs on the mac.

i think it was mid 90s when pcs became much more affordable to ordinary users and you could buy good games on pc cdrom format.Now we at the point where even xbox games consoles expect users to

have internet acess to download updates or buy games .

Advertisement