Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie Kardashian is in a women's prison. Taoiseach's response to questions on this are here..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I feel sorry in a way for trans people.

My opinion is they are very vulnerable people being exploited right in front of our very eye’s.

We all know there’s lots of people who are a bit “different” their always was & they seem to be the type that gets taken advantage of

They are walking goldmines for the pharmaceutical industry’s & surgeons with egos that can’t be underestimated etc & there’s money to be made from it.

If there was no money to be made I’m absolutely certain it wouldn’t even be news.

I tell anybody reading this to just judge what you see going on with your own eye’s.

Fuch the science, fuch the reports, fuch all of it because I can guarantee you it’s all biased or money has already been paid to get the result’s that’s wanted.

it ain’t by coincidence stuff like this is ever debated on TV or by politicians or media etc

There all in on it.

They want to bring this stuff into primary schools?

Any teacher worth the paper there degree is printed that supports it should fuch off also.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So the old play book,can't answer a question start name calling,

Hardly original

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You accused me of violating human rights, now you are accusing me of being politically correct.

🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Can you kindly point where other posters stated that BK was proof that other transgender women were rapists? Your first response just included a post that said they had mental illness which is different to saying they're rapists.

I've asked before for clarification, but maybe you missed it given you're now asking another poster to point out something yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

One difference is that men's prisons would most likely be staffed with a majority of male prison officers, with vast experience of dealing with violent men.

As this case shows, it takes more than a piece of paper to change reality.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - More threadbans

@seanrambo87, @72sheep and @apache do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

Think about the pub bit for a bit, it will occur to you.

As to the question - that is not really a yes or no proposition, now is it?

In so far as everyone's opinion should be listened to, absolutely.

But if you mean should only a particular subset of women be allowed to determine what we do in the end because they object? Not neccesarily. They are not the only stakeholder and their interests are not the only ones.

This is such a weird part of the way people react to this. It is almost like they feel they cannot be men or women anymore, just because someone else wants to live like a different gender from what it says on their birthcert.

Complete with a shadowy conspiracy to turn your children gay. Oops I mean Trans!

Sorry guys! I did it again didn't I, even though it is *totally* not like homophobia at all. Nosirree. Nothing like it! Cannot be compared in any way of form! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I thought about the pub and like everyone else I reached a conclusion immediately. It wasn't particularly insightful.

It's odd that somebody who has a preoccupation with people glancing at their genitalia at a urinal feels they're qualified to make decisions that directly impact women.

In the end a barbie Kardashian type in a women's changing room could be extremely dangerous. That's an outlier without a doubt but that's how systems are designed, to deal with the exceptional cases. You build something like say a drainage system to be able to deal with a once in a century type rain event because if you don't when it happens the area in question gets severely flooded.

Ultimately women are weaker and more vulnerable than men and by extension trans women. Eventually these type of questions will need to be addressed and taking offence and crying about transphobia won't get the baby washed.

Glazers Out!

Wow.

So trans people are basically too mental to decide what they want. Lovely stuff.

In fact they do not even want any sort of consideration: that is all just an enormous conspiracy... to make money out of gender-reassignment therapy?

Oh and don't read studies that say things you do not like, because they are probably biased. Unlike automatically rejecting studies that say things you do not like, which is totally not biased?

I think you maybe need to re-think your epistemology here Thinkabouit.

Heh and look at all those thanks! All those folks read that and went: "Yeah. Sounds legit! :) sheeesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

But a subset of men should be allowed to determine they have the right to enter women's toilets or play on the womens sports team?

Ok, so outliers should decide how we set up laws about equality and such?

Well, no they shouldn't, and we don't. That is some nonsense you just made up.

If you follow that kind of thinking to it's logical conclusion, you will end up justifying absurd and even awful things. I don't need to spell it out for you do I?

°°°°°

Are you suggesting that listening to women's opinions on their own safety is akin to extremism?

I'm interested to read what evidence you have to support that idea.

Glazers Out!

They get their say as stakeholders, just like all women. And collectively we have to decide what is just in this case.

Bahahaha Nullzero, why do you hate freedom?

That is your game mate, not mine.

Read what I wrote. I object to your flawed logic which proposed we let outliers decide how we frame equality laws. Have a look for yourself and apply that logic to some other examples and see where it leads.

°°°°°

Look at any systems humans set up, be it legal, engineering, social everything is predicated on understanding the most extreme situations possible and planning to deal with them.

You're suggesting that causing offence is a worse outcome than the safety of women being in jeopardy.

I don't believe all trans people pose a threat to women in changing rooms but there are exceptions and that's what needs to be taken into consideration.

Glazers Out!

I am doing no such thing as suggesting causing offence is a worse outcome than the safety of women being in jeopardy - you seem to be projecting now.

And no we do not - that is some stuff you just made up. Designing for outlier extremes is most certainly not a moral principle by which we determine what is just and what is not. And a good thing too! That would be terrible.

°°°°°

So you're contention is that considering a worse case scenario is a bad practice when considering how to regulate things?

Glazers Out!

You are 100% sure of that based on... no evidence I can see, no experience you have mentioned, no competence in any sort of relevant field I can look at.

In fact you even go so far as to say: do not inform yourself! Do not read studies if they tell you anything else! Just go by this gut feeling of mine, and ignore anything else!

Like I said - you should examine your epistemology. If you actually recommend confirmation bias as a way of determining what is true, then it needs a bit of work.

My contention is that it is not some sort of moral principle by which we can determine what is just, which is what it would have to be if it was the guiding principle by which we design laws, especially those that have to do with equality, as you seem to confidently assert it is.

It is not. Never has been. Good thing too, because that would be bloody stupid.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Do you believe the current situation relating to gender identity allows for unintended and potentially unwanted and negative outcomes?

Namely that any man can identity as female and therefore can access female only spaces.

I'm assuming you can fill in the blanks as to how this could end up having negative consequences, my interest lies with how such situations could and should be mitigated against without necessarily causing a great deal of hardship for our trans friends.

Glazers Out!

I do not think that it is a particularly relevant question, to tell you the truth.

I think allowing schools to have both boys and girls in it can have unintended and potentially unwanted negative outcomes. Does that mean I think it should be banned? Not really. Neither do you, I assume. So in itself, we cannot use that as a way to determine what is just, or the right thing to do.

°°°°°

You don't think it's relevant to a thread about a person who has violently assaulted women on multiple occasions and detailed how they wanted to rape torture and slowly murder their own mother to ask if the current system which allows people like the subject of this thread to self identify as a different gender and therefore gain access to female only spaces is perhaps not fit for purpose?

You go on to draw a comparison between this situation as mixed gender schools. Talk about a false equivalence.

What you're really saying is that the question isn't easy enough to answer within the parameters of gender identity ideology.

Glazers Out!

The whole thread is a false equivalence. Approx 900 Grc people in Ireland as of 2022. Slightly over half are MTF. Its not like there's an epidemic of lads signing up so they can go hang out in the ladies swimming pool changing rooms for the craic.

°°°°°

But in this thread we have a case where one of these people has been locked up for five years but after that will be free to do as they please.

Nobody is looking for trans people to have their rights revoked, it is just evident that there are no protections against outliers like Barbie Kardashian doing whatever they please.

As things stand any of us could choose to fill in a form and state we're now a different gender which seems a bit daft.

Glazers Out!

I think you should look up what a false equivalency is, because you are not using the phrase correctly here.

The question "Can we imagine any potential negative outcomes at all?" is not a very relevant question when we try to determine what the rules for something should be, no. There are very few things where we cannot imagine some sort of negative outcome.

As an example of this, look at boys and girls schools. Can we imagine negative consequences? Sure. Does this mean we should make it a rule that they cannot exist? No.

I have no idea what you mean when you say "What you're really saying is that the question isn't easy enough to answer within the parameters of gender identity ideology". I am not entirely sure you do either, to tell you the truth. Is it some sort of way to avoid actually engaging with my arguments?

When people assess risk, they give far greater weight to risks that they have a strong emotional reaction to. The fact people really consider this such a threat speaks volumes, I think.

°°°°°

I posed a question that was directly relevant to this thread and you told me you didn't think it was particularly relevant.

You made some poorly thought out attempt at comparing the use of female only changing rooms with mixed gender schools which is a complete and utter nonsense and a false equivalence of epic proportions and then attempted to condescend to me about what a false equivalence actually is.

Not content with that you went on the accuse me of avoiding engaging with your arguments.

It should be obvious that you saw my previous question as problematic inasmuch as you could not answer it honestly without contradicting yourself therefore you set out to duck, dive, deny and obfuscate whilst engaging in mud slinging in an attempt to avoid it.

You're not engaging in good faith.

You still haven't answered the question (you're not duty bound to do so, your reluctance to answer speaks volumes) yet you're accusing me of avoiding the argument.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

What do I need evidence for? If I have a feeling I’m right then how dare you question me.

Isn’t that what all trans people do. A feeling, based on absolutely nothing. Going against all scientific & biological reasoning.

you walked right into that one mate.

Iv done my research & watched plenty of debates on this matter & every single time the trans people or there supports get found out.

And I have some sort of evidence that they are very vulnerable people, check out the suicide rates on people who transitioned or before they transitioned they attempted suicide.

Advertisement