Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Gearoid was right to walk off. He kicked two wides at a vital time in the game. I thought he was poor, although it’s hard to pick out anyone who wasn’t.

Quigley seemed to hugely unsettle the whole backline when he came on.

Personally, I’d take a Div 3 title and the Tailteann Cup over beating Armagh if there needs to be a trade off - as another posted has stated above, I don’t see why there needs to be.

It pains me to say it but this team needs to develop consistency. Fermanagh x 2, Wicklow, Tipperary, Antrim & Westmeath - those are some of the counties we’ve lost to in the last three seasons. Hardly footballing hierarchy.

I know we can’t keep looking to the future, and I don’t want to, but I know teams not near our level who wouldn’t lose to those listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

For what it's worth, a fair few Fermanagh Gaels in front of me thought the second one was good. But i agree, hard to single anyone out for any sort of positive contribution. Just one of those days- but seeing as it was a local derby, that's very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

A win against a Fermanagh team we hammered in last year's Championship to lift a Div 3 title. And a Tailteann Cup win playing a selection of the bottom 16 teams in Ireland.

Raise your standards for God's sake. A real go at Ulster is what these lads and the county wants. Not a couple of worthless second and third tier trophies that will be forgotten in a month's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

surly the last two weeks ye have been in prep for championship , i have talked you up all year i dont do that often , i reckon division 2 is wide open next year and you lot have momentum going forward i wouldnt be reading into the last two games . very impressed with the two wins against westmeath and down and the manor of them wins too

I base my expectations off how the team performs.

Last year is last year. Fermanagh beat us today and I’m certainly not confident how we’ll fare next week, you don’t sound confident either, getting the excuses in early.

Read the list of teams above - we’re not able to consistently beat teams in the bottom tier so what’s the point of moving into the top tier? Or thinking we’re ready for that level?

You can make lightweight excuses about heavy training all you like but that’s a poor list of teams to have lost to. We must have been heavy on the weights before them all! 3 years of all that we’ll have a team of mini Arnolds!

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

Very Impressive against two teams who aren't good enought to get out off Division 3.

Didn't score a point from play until into the second half today and two lucky goals keep us in it. If we are hard training it's not doing much benefit if these injuries are the result off it.

We need everyone fit if we are to challenge for Ulster as the last two performances wouldn't even get you far in the tailtean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭rrs

Down and Westmeath both under new managers finding their way. Down brought in 3 kilcoo players the week before the Cavan game.

Cavan have a settled team and management but consistency is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Jesus Christ yer ruthless no wonder Michael McDermott worked wonders down here no shite taken , ye looked fairly fit enough against down In Brefni a few weeks ago I would take the last two games with a huge pinch of salt surly

'Last year is last year' but you're moaning about losing to Fermanagh in the first round of the 2021 league. The losses follow you but the wins don't is it?

Yes we have lost to a handful of poor and lower ranked teams. Nobody is arguing that. What's your point exactly? You'd rather make sure we can beat every lower ranked team 100% of the time than beat a Division 1 side in the Ulster Championship?

You're moaning about losing to Westmeath a team that aren't football "hierarchy" (think you might mean royalty) but you want to win the cup that they won by beating us. If they're so poor surely the cup is hardly worth winning in the first place!

Who cares if they lose some dead rubber games. Since the final whistle went against Down, it's all been about giving Ulster the best possible shot.

I’m pointing out that we consistently underperform. We should be beating Fermanagh every time we play them, not one in three. Until we can stop losing to teams like Antrim & Fermanagh, why should supporters believe we can compete consistently with higher ranked teams?

Re last year, one big difference between now and then is that Thomas Galligan scored one goal that day and setup another - he isn’t on the panel now. Fermanagh have also improved with returning players.

Just because Westmeath, who aren’t a great team, won the Tailteann Cup doesn’t devalue it in my eyes. Like I said, I greatly enjoyed the Tailteann Cup run of games last year. Fact is though I always argued we shouldn’t have been losing to that Westmeath team and I’d continue to argue it.

So we’re just to bypass a chance to win silverware in Croke Park next week and put all our eggs in the basket of beating Armagh? Not much point going back to the eve of the League discussion but whether relegated or not, they beat a Donegal team we couldn’t last year and have just operated in Division 1 for 3 years.

And I don’t think supporters would care about losing the games if it wasn’t for the manner of the defeats. Today we didn’t even lay a glove on Fermanagh at times and an overweight forward in his 30s had our backline **** themselves, while our keeper got beat at his near post from an angle he never should have conceded from.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Advertisement

For next week it looks like we will be missing the below.

Dara McVeety

Patrick Lynch

Niall Carolan

Gerry Smith

I'm hoping Lynch was just feeling ill and that why he wasn't available.

Of course all our eggs should be in the basket of beating Armagh! Next Sunday means nothing. It's a glorified challenge match. Nice to win, nice to put right the wrongs of yesterday but there should be nothing risked that could cost us against Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Play like the last two performances and it won't matter against Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Oisin Kiernan was doing those 100 metre runs, in front of the terrace side just before the warm up. He was moving well, he's probably not too far away from a comeback.

Galway are going all out to win the League and . Cavan might be in hard training but could as easily get injured in training as playing games. Playing games keeps up the fitness anyway. Previously there was up 2 a month break before the championship,but with the shorter season now not as much time for hard training

The All Ireland series and Tailtean Cup is like a League in itself 4 round robin games.

Just saying the want to win next Sunday like the rest of the League finalists.. Sean Kelly spoke about winning a National title would be a boost going into championsip

Cavan lost the Tailtean Cup final lost year so would hardly want another loss at the weekend in Croke Park.

Thank you because they were two loses few expected but it goes to show what can happen when both sides have to win. You have to be up for a fight and if you are not then you won't win. A lesson for future games.

Division three final confirmed for Saturday.

7.15pm throw in. Who came up with that? Who in Cavan or Fermanagh does that suit? Certainly not anyone who has kids. Great work by the fixtures committee. The last few years having them on in the day made far more sense.

• Advertisement

Yeah it won't suit people with young kids not sure if i will get myself now, i cannot understand why they have made that change.

Game will be over near 9, Getting on that 10pm Bus back to Cavan from Bus Eireann will be like the Hunger Games. I think it will be the car for me, No pints in Croker Park this time around.

The last time i was up there at a final at that time i thing we played Meath in Divison 3 final. That was a disaster of a night.

Trying to get a bus out of Dublin after Tailteann Cup final last year was ridiculous. Myself and my wife got one of the last couple of seats on the Donegal Airport one after being unable to get on the Cavan one an hour before because about 100 Cavan fans were in Busaras all with valid tickets trying to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

If it goes to penalties it won’t be over til midnight.

Losing three games in a row leading into the championship wouldn’t be good imo especially to feckin Fermanagh.

It was Roscommon.. Martin Dunne missed a penalty in that game.

Cavan didn't play Meath in any recent League final.

It’s a National Title. It’s a cup. Another chance to walk the steps of Croke Park which we haven’t done enough.

I certainly would expect to see our championship team starting and a solid effort made to win it.

As others have said, a lad could get an injury running a length of the pitch or landing wrong in training. You can’t wrap them in cotton wool.

Sorry to hear of the death of my good friend and Cavan great, Peter Pritchard, in London.

One of the most stylish players i've seen who starred for Bailieboro, Cavan and Ulster in the 1960's.

Ar dheis de go raibh anam.

Thing it was 2007 it could have been a semi final either.

• Advertisement

It was a double header that year, Meath played Monaghan and we played Roscommon.

Setting a trend we would follow for the next 10 years or more, the Rossies beat us. It was a late finish alright.

Advertisement