Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie Kardashian is in a women's prison. Taoiseach's response to questions on this are here..

Options

Comments

Grand, a non-answer is what I expected. All this shite over 900 people in Ireland. It's laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's actually about one specific person and the issues they've raised all by themselves.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

No, you were the one saying that we design laws based on outliers: if we can imagine something going wrong, we should legislate against it. It is like building a dam against the highest possible water level, you said.

I am pointing out that no, we do not, that is a silly thing that you made up.

We do not use that as a principle for determining what is just, and it is a good thing too as it would lead to absurdities and even atrocities.

And if I can imagine being uncomfortable being in the same building, then yes for sure I can imagine anyone - including women - feeling the same way. I am not sure why you need that specifically spelled out, but I am happy to do so if it helps.

Perhaps now we can finally agree that no, being able to imagine negative consequences is not a good reason to make rules against something? It is the level of risk that is important, how bad we think the thing that is risked is, the impact our risk-mitigation has on other stakeholders, and a whole range of other considerations?

It is not a on or off sort of question. At all.

Sure there is. But just like we do not say that a man who is attracted to a man is just being attracted to the wrong gender, we can say that feeling like you are a different gender is not wrong. People feel that way.

The posts vilifying trans people would give the lie to that notion. But sure, fine. I'm done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

And even with that small number (as you say), we already have two violent males—one of them with multiple sexual offence convictions—in an overcrowded women's prison.

I don't find that amusing at all, to be honest.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

But just like we do not say that a man who is attracted to a man is just being attracted to the wrong gender

What? what kind of argument is this?

Go back and read your original question, this is just bizarre whataboutery.

ETA - do you understand the difference between gender and sexuality? Seriously?

°°°°°

In this instance we're talking about rethinking existing laws in light of this unforeseen circumstance. Essentially anyone can currently change their gender and access female only spaces which can obviously have negative consequences.

Stating that this could be improved does not equal undue hardship for trans people. It isn't based in intolerance, it's merely an attempt to mitigate against dangerous people like Barbie Kardashian.

Think about things in your own life that have been affected by some asshole ruining things for everyone else. I've seen policies enacted in workplaces on foot of the actions of some pricks actions and they remain in place after they've left. These are reactive changes and they're commonplace.

Ireland has a pretty lousy record with relation to dealing with violent offenders, here we have a situation where within a couple of years we're going to have a dangerous convicted criminal who is obviously gaming the system, released from prison and then free to wander into any female only space in Ireland unimpeded. They pose a threat to women and the majority of normal trans women in those spaces, everyone in those spaces needs to be protected from this person.

Here we have a person who was identified as dangerous and violent towards women BEFORE they changed their gender. They should have been subject to some sort of analysis before they were allowed to access female only spaces.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

• Advertisement

Did I? When was this?

Must be all that misogyny making me forgetful :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

You are still missing the point.

She can also walk into a library full of children and elderly people, both of which would be very vulnerable.

So do we ban trans people from joining libraries?

°°°°°

I'd contend that you are missing the point.

Do you believe that a person in a library is more or less vulnerable than a person in a changing room?

Glazers Out!

I think you people are a bit confused here, or at least over-sensitive, if you consider this an accusation of homophobia.

Trans people feel the way they feel. You can throw biology at that all day long and it won't make a difference: they will still feel that way. You can say that you think they re just confused or mentally ill if you like. I don't think that is very nice, but some people disagree.

The thing is that same sort of argument was made against same-sex attraction: it was considered a mental illness, or a perversion. They were attracted to the wrong gender, because they were confused or mentally ill. Again you can argue about if it is natural or not until the cows come home, and gay people will still fancy people of the same sex.

Now in order for that argument to work in my favor, it is in fact essential that you are not a homophobe. It is the opposite of calling you a homophobe. It *relies* on us *agreeing* that homophobia is *bloody stupid*.

If you are a homophobe, then you would go: "Yeah, and both are correct, so you are barking up the wrong tree, stupid!" or something along those lines.

Sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Indeed. And the worst ones are allowed to insult and label other posters, and also evade a threadban for mysterious reasons.

You'd be wrong. And I think your question here is not going to help you as much as you seem to think it will.

I do not know what the answer to that question is. Do you mean on average? Or do you mean if they would feel more vulnerable?

I think that would be easier to answer with any degree of certainty: I think a lot of people feel more vulnerable in changing rooms.

°°°°°

Talk about taking the scenic route.

Of course people in changing rooms are more vulnerable than people in libraries. Potentially being naked has a part to play I think we can agree.

Also, nobody is talking about banning trans people from anywhere. What is being proposed is that nutters like Barbie Kardashian should not be allowed to simply change gender via the completion of a single form and then have access to female only spaces.

Just for context yet again, Barbie Kardashian had a storied history of violence against women BEFORE they changed gender yet their access to female only spaces was never questioned. That's where the short fall is. Nobody is saying stop trans women from accessing anything. This isn't an anti trans issue it's about safeguarding people from dangerous individuals.

Glazers Out!

I mean... I think a changing room is not a great place for a rape or an assault. There is always someone nearby to make sure you do not steal the clothes. You are not actually that isolated. I would imagine a rapist would seek out some place where they can make sure their victim is isolated and controllable for longer: in a changing room there would be very little time and far too many witnesses. But then again I am not aware of any sort of numbers or reports on this: this is purely me speculating out loud.

You can say that you think they re just confused or mentally ill if you like. I don't think that is very nice, but some people disagree.

But I didn't say any of that, and I didn't associate all transpeople with BK, the topic of this thread.

In fact, my first post which seems to have been deleted, said that BK was harming the transgender community.

I have also never conflated gender with sexuality, that's a bit of an own goal on your behalf.

• Advertisement

Again, you do not seem to get the point.

So do we ban trans people from women only spaces, and not from libraries?

Why?

Nor have I conflated gender and sexuality. Try reading what I actually wrote.

What I did was draw a *comparison* between some of the *arguments* that are levelled against transgender people to those that are levelled against gay people.

Are libraries women-only spaces where one could expect women in various states of undress with no others present on occasion?

You could expect plenty of vulnerable people of all kinds of descriptions, which is what we are concerned with, no? Vulnerable people?

Oh and lest we forget: all this started when southwesterly said that there are 2 genders, biologically.

So trans people are confused, or mentally ill: they are wrong about what they feel, or what they feel is some sort of disturbed mental process.

If someone says "I'm gay" and they're lying, there are no consequences.

If someone says "I feel like I'm a woman" and they're lying, and they have access to self-ID, there are very serious potential consequences.

I don't care at all if a man wants to change his appearance to be his interpretation of ultra-feminine, including whatever hormones and surgeries he can get his hands on and afford to pay for. If he wants to give himself a traditionally female name and wear heels to work, he can fill his boots. If he wants me to refer to him in the third person as "she" and "her" then I will likely oblige when he's in earshot. He can speak as he wishes, act as he wishes, and I hope he lives his very best life. And if doing all of that relieves some dreadful psychological pain that's been with him forever, all the better. I think society should be less up its own arsehole about gender stereotypes anyway. But at the point where his desire to have everyone in society play co-conspirator in upholding this feeling he has inside has potential conflict with women's rights, particularly their dignity and safety, then I'm all the way out. Because in my personal values system there are not enough male (or female) feelings in the world to make me consider the assault and rape of women to be acceptable collateral damage for protecting those feelings.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

If it's your opinion that there should be no women-only spaces at all, including changing rooms, toilets, sports, shelters, etc. then just say that.

And it is a jolly good thing that we can easily accommodate both with a minimum of compromise.

Heh "then I will likely oblige when he is in earshot". I mean honestly. You are really not making it easy on me here.

oh and before i forget:

"If someone says "I'm gay" and they're lying, there are no consequences."

That is not how a lot homophobes feel. At all. In fact, they feel that this is exactly what is going on: that people are being indoctrinated into being homosexual. And that this upsets, erodes ad threatens society. Same as with trans people really.

• Advertisement

I'm telling you that in some situations I will consider speaking an untruth for the sake of another person's comfort. I'm not sure what objection you could have to that.

I don't believe that people change sex. Ever. I'm not sure why this is a difficult concept.

Advertisement