Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Oops!

You'd be surprised.... It depends on who they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

They absolutely count. Its yet another reason the housing officers want you out of the way. Getting in the media with a sob story is gold

Stay Free

No it doesn’t and I can guarantee you’ll have little more than hearsay to prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Really? They would continue to be shunted around emergency accommodation for longer if they had not gone to the media

As stated, there is no transparency in housing allocations. The system is opaque

Going to the media and making a scene is not the same as a TD “representing” you by way of an email or letter to a housing officer.

No, the systems not opaque you are just using edge cases and assuming it’s how the housing list works.

if you think it’s as easy as kicking up a storm with a TD or a newspaper is fast tracking anyone regularly up the housing list you’re just wrong.

All this line of thinking does is annoy the shite out of housing officers.

• Advertisement

If it didn't work, nobody would do it. TDs and councillors have their staff write letters and emails and they make representations and pull strings for votes. I don't have to prove what is common knowledge. I have seen it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears several times. If you think the system is fair and/or transparent, then you are very naive.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TuamJ

I personally have never seen it work for a single person who works and lives at home, male or female. I have seen cases where it likely helped the family with 4 kids one disabled or the single mother but all were ages on the list so it's hard to prove but yeah it probably did get them over the line.

I've definitely seen cases too where the TD sends in the letter when it's common local knowledge that's all is not what it seems - the father is living with his mother, doing a low paid job while the unemployed mother and children and in her childhood bedroom cribbing about the terrible conditions and looking freebies. The tax payer should not be funding this chosen living arrangement and one or both parents should be out looking for better job. The TD goes along because the family vote for him. Locals looking in think the whole thing is corrupt and stinks to high heaven even if the family are not housed.

My own 2c is ye are both right. You're right to say TD's lobbying happens a lot and they can get people over the line and that the process lacks transparency but the other poster is also correct that the OP can't just get a letter sent and follow up with a call to Joe Duffy and next month or even next year or next decade she'll get a house.

“Don’t have to prove what’s common knowledge”

so like I said you’ve nothing but hearsay and speculation. Moving on then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭65535

Lots of suggestions to leave - the real solution is to change those in power - stop voting in FFFG/LAB/GREEN - then there will be change

I have a family member who is male, single, working and has a one bedroom apartment with Tuath.

I have a female friend who is single, working, and has a one bedroom apartment with Respond.

So it is not impossible. Things might change in the future - housing associations are buying apartments and one beds, so you might as well apply and possibly get your name on a list now.

What have you got to lose?

As an aside, said female friend above works in admin for a LA housing dept (got the job years after she got the apartment). Medical reports are considered, but TDs letters etc, are read, filed, and ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

About that, you need to understand that there is a basic requirement even within the EU that you can't move to another state if it is going to result in you becoming a burden on that state. In the EU that means that you can't apply for social help [not insured benefits such as unemployment or disability] for at least five years and even then, your permanent resident status can be reviewed. Furthermore some states will require you pay back any social help you received once your circumstances improve.

What proof would you be looking for? The very opaque nature of how the housing list works makes it nearly impossible to provide concrete proof. Besides, any proof given is dismissed as an extreme, or edge case.....where these cases actually happen quite regularly. You yourself dismissed another poster above after they gave you evidence. These are far from the only cases which happen every day.

As I said already, anyone who thinks the system is fair and that people don't jump the queue, is naive and has their head in the sand.

Good to know that singles can be housed. I have only ever known 2 people who got single person accommodation, but that was in the late 90s and they were bedsits, so shared bathroom and kitchen facilities.

2 of my siblings were on the LAHL for less than 2 years before being housed. I know another family member who was on the list for only a few months before being given a contained unit...like a self contained bedsit...with own facilities, but that was on health grounds tbf. Still, in all cases, they weren't shy about contacting TDs and ringing the council every other day for updates. Having a brass neck gets you housed 10 times faster.

Regarding letters being read, filed and ignored; I speculate it depends on who sent them, who received them and where their allegiances are. A letter from Mary Lou holds a bit more sway than one from Cllr Donna Cooney for example (Donna Who?........exactly).

Stay Free

Not advocating who anyone should vote for, but at least be realistic in your expectations.

Do you think if SF get in they are going to wave a magic wand and suddenly thousands of new social houses are going to appear?

If so, you're going to be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭65535

No one mentions a 'magic wand' - these politicians have held the reins of power now for many, many years and nothing is going our way with regard to housing - they need a good kicking at the polls - they are even bringing back that man with no bank account again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

They’re already putting it out there that if they do get into power it’s going to take 10 years to undo all the damage…just saying….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im not looking for anything form the state, ive a masters degree, a hdip & an undergrad, I want to work & support myself, the dream for me is being able to autonomous. I cant do that in Ireland because everything is way above my means. I would be applying for jobs abroad, in the mean time saving what I can so I could afford a deposit & rent in a room in a shared house or apartment and flying off to start a new life. If I wanted a life on social welfare, id just stay here & quit my job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Definitely not but theyre focused on social issues & developing the country long term. The current government have a totally different mindset & its destroying the country. Whatever about housing, just generally, FF, FG & the Greens are capitalists, they have to go.

You live in one of the richest countries in Europe with a major work force shortage…. What do you think is going to be different elsewhere?

Well if that is your approach there are not many options abroad then either… even Albania has gone capitalist at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

TD letters are only good in scenarios where the applicant is on the edge of a certain classification and might be pushable over the line for things such as medical reasons. Even then it would probably be uncommon.

That family bouncing around emergency accomodation and Garda stations were likely on the cusp of being housed anyway given their extreme situation but people have it in their heads going to the media done it. This would suggest another family in similar dire circumstance were leaped on the basis of not going to the media which seems unlikely.

I'm not sure random 'annoying' of those who make decisions does much if anything. They must be well used to it. More targeted efforts might though.

We were seeking a social housing transfer a while back. We were on the medical grounds list after originally being on the overcrowding list. We had a preferred area in mind and several houses were in the pipeline for new tenants in that area. There was one house in particular that ticked a lot of boxes for us. We were tipped off very early that the council had just created a 25 year lease on a recently privately purchased house so we had a chance to be the very first family to make a play for it, so to speak. We made a very good case (if I say so myself) in writing and within 3 months were told we were being put forward for it. They hadn't even refurbished it to the minimum standards yet.

Now maybe it was coincidence and it was a transfer rather than new placement but I'm fairly sure with no decent expression of interest we wouldn't be here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SamualB

A functioning healthcare system, a functioning housing system , a functioning childcare and education system, a functioning transport system….. you know, a state that actually uses taxes for the benefit of society…..

Advertisement