Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Lets be Honest... Visitors never wanted Malahide....

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

A lot of Norrie on Norrie going on here.😄😄😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭coillcam

Rush was €30 for my first taste of links and I really enjoyed it at the start of January. A 9 hole track so you just loop around.

No mats or barely any dirt on the ball. Greens in great nick too. I thought it was a fantastic value. Loved the exciting short finish of 8 and 9. A 120yd par 3 and very driveable 250yd par 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Rush definitely has its charms alright

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Full Green Fees at Portmarnock include dinner, at least it used to last (and only) time I played pre COVID

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 cosimocosimo

anyone know of any open days or charity events in Royal Dublin, i know some of the links courses have captains charity days etc where there are decent value green fees instead of the normal €200+ during the summer but i cant see any mention online

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭paulos53

Just saw this advertised for Doonbeg.

The traveling distance and ownership will not suit everybody but it is reasonable value in comparison to a lot of links courses

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Corballis, Seafield and Arklow come to mind as links/semi-links courses close to Dublin offering good value

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In fairness that Is good value.....versus the pure blind robberygoing on...

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

• Advertisement

Rush 9 hole Course

Been out injured for a while - so was trying to pick a gentle course to kick off my first round in a while. I have been out to Rush a few times and got a great deal on Golf Now - deals like this are soon to be gone it would seem. Shorter Links courses have grown on me with age. Perhaps there is an unfortunate realty in that - that shorter courses are more enjoyable as you lose a bit of swing speed. But - it is a reminder that golf was a very different game , there was something far more sensible about it. You - fit the course in a small space - you park at the first - you eat at the first - you play a course on a tight piece of land and you can literally run around it in 90 mins for 9.

Don't get me wrong - I love the big ones - but if we are all honest , they are a long slog , unbelievably difficult , and you rarely score on them. If I think of say the 20 rounds I had on top links courses last year - I probably broke 80 - 3 or 4 times. And to do that - I would be playing out of my skin.

It is something we don't talk about here too much - but might be worth asking - do people find the top links courses way too hard ? Is that part of the joy ? does it take away from it for you ? To mention a few the European , Portrush , Tralee, Enniscrone , Rosses, Anything in Donegal - they are all very hard ? Add wind - and you can be at nothing.

Anyway - I found it very interesting to play a course , that makes senses in many ways. Yes, technology , the ball , has likely surpassed this type of course. But it makes the game an utterly more sensible game for amateurs. On the first and second I noticed a bit of course work - I was told the course is at serious risk of coastal erosion. It is kind of sad - as the damage is right up to the course now. But work is taking place to alter the holes a bit. First hole Driver - wedge and a putt - bird to kick back to golf, great start. I was playing off mats - a thing I never really do - and this partially explained the cheap price. I don't really know how to play off mats - but I was wondering does it make golf easier for a digger like me. It kinda controls your ball contact. And avoids a fat one.

The 1st and second holes are stunning little holes - that would not be out of place on any Links - imbedded in the sand dunes and a real chaotic topology. The 3rd is a funny hole - and it suffers from excessive OB posts - but they needed to fit a par 5 in somehow. The 4th is a great par 4 dog leg right - with a brilliant elevated green. The 5th an open you shoulders par 4 - and the 6th is superb challenging long par 3. The next notable hole is the par 3 - 8th - a wonderful elevated tee box looking down to a dangerous tired green - with bunker protecting. The 9 th would be a great hole - but it is a bit too tight and short sadly.

Even if it was on easy side - I was delighted to be back playing golf - was 2 over for the 9 - and could have been lower. If someone was looking for a course to hit level or lower, it would be a great place to do it.

Had a good chat with the pro Dearbhla Behan - she told me about the course, the work and the general club atmosphere. The greens were as good as I have seen this time of year. It was a great day , and it gave me an insight into what golf was - and to be honest , what golf could be if we didn't have such a macho attitude to course length and tee selection etc.

What a day for golf - and after being out for a while - a bit frustrated . I was so appreciative to be back , able to play to a good standard. Sometimes you need a little break - to see how good this game is and the feeling it can give you, when it gives to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Played Corballis there on Saturday. Course is in serious condition considering its still the depths of winter. I must have had close to 40 putts the greens were absolutely flying... just couldnt get used to the pace coming from slow parkland greens all winter.

Think everyone in our group had numerous 3 putts and the odd 4 putt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Playing the European Club on Saturday. Really looking forward to it.

Question for those that have played it - what's the shop like? The website is understated to say the least. I'm looking for a new Driver headcover and hoping to pick one up there.

I'd imagine they have one - but it is not like any of the major commercial shops - where you can buy anything from a fridge magnet , to head covers and rain gear -- very little in the shop at all. The European is about the golf experience.

If you came back and said they had nothing - it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Wouldn’t be surprised if you couldn’t buy any golf stuff but could get a fresh pan and a pint of milk. It’s that type of place 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

They do have a small selection of things, ball markers, course guides, etc...

What I remember most is that they had a bucket filled with old hickory shafted clubs,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I think their pro shop was fairly well stocked with golf trinkets and stuff for tourists. I don't remember if they had headcovered, but I remember picking up a european club branded ball marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

I get what your saying I love hitting GIR this for me is my biggest weakness putting been my strongest. So if I hit a GIR I am parring it 9/10 times or birdie depending.. I love the big courses Links wise. Like The European is my Favourite course I have never broke 30 pts there have gotten close loads 🙄 but I love it. The old schoolness of it. It has no bells or whistles the course does the talking and the fact Tiger has the course record is class. Plus the fact its family owned and they are so nice, no airs or graces!

I still remember the first time I rang it to look for a price (winter rate) & Pat Ruddy answered himself (A good few years ago now) and was laughing & joking with me and said winter rate is €50 but if you turn up with an American accent its €250 😂 class.. I just taught there a good Irish man looking after his own. I love that.

I have a mate whos a member its not actually that much but believe theres hello money in now last few years. but I do get out on it a couple of times a year & I will break 30 pts there & I will be smiling from Ear to Ear with a pint 😉

The big park land courses dont have the same effect dont get me wrong there still great but there more about length than skill..

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Seafield in Wexford has been closed for a good few years now. Did you mean Seapoint?

I'm a member in Arklow and would definitely say its good value for money. The committee and management have done great work over the last few years on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Yes, meant Seapoint. Arklow is great value with some really good holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Shank Williams

Down in Tralee for work Easter week - see a few tee times and thinking of heading out with one of the lads- price on website is 180- is that just the yank price- if I ring up will there be a gui rate or is it just one of those courses that don’t care?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Worth the call

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Like meals out and accommodation - many Links course in Ireland , have lost all sight of reality.

Will be interesting how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

tralee rack rate is €300 so I'd say that is gui/ winter rate.

May not have 18 holes open as they redesigned the 11th and not open yet.

mats may also still be in play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Is €180 not a good price for Tralee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭golfer79

Unlike Waterville, Ballybunion and Lahinch, Tralee actually have quite a decent amount of open days every year at knock down prices. They had a full week of open days last August to coincide with the Rose Festival.

If that is true - €180 for a winter rate - with course not fully in play is off the wall.

I guess the question with all these places is - is there a GI rate.

As for the €300 - we know what that is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fungie

Thanks completely forget. Nice to see they've mondernised with the online booking. Was a farce previously.

Advertisement