Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thank D. I appreciate that. With the passage of time I am even happier with this, considering I didn't even warm up for it there should be another few seconds there at some stage. I don't know where the 50 min pacer finished at but it was won in about 38 mins iirc (it was a women only event) so I don't believe they had any place being quite so far up at the start 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

As long as they didn't start in front of the 45 min pacer. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just catching up too - great progress on the 10K PB - very well done.

Thanks Alan 😊

Been quiet here since but I'm still ticking over, though I'm off the back of a pretty poor week last week but hopefully I'll get back on track this week.

Feb 20th - Feb 26th (Week 8 of 2023)

Monday: usual easy + strides, short 30min while the youngster does drumming class.

Tues: Easy hour (6.5m @ 9:46)

Wed: Threshold, 2 * 2k @ 7:45, 7:32 + 1 x 1k @ 7:12 - all in correct HR range though varying ends of the range!

Thurs: Rest

Fri: 30' @ HM effort - 7:52 pace

Sat: 10m long run

Sun: Rest

Feb 27th - March 5th (Week 9 of 2023)

Monday: as per every Monday - 30 mins easy incl. strides

Tues: Easy hour (5.2m @ 10:15)

Wednesday: Threshold 2 * 12' @ 7:39 & 7:27

And that's a wrap on that week, I didn't get out again. Same old story that I'm always moaning about 🙈 feel like I'm walking on a tightrope and if anything at all crops up outside of the normal then the tightrope wobbles. Last week one of my kids had orthodontist & physio appointments and the two committees that I'm secretary on had reason to call meetings at short notice on two consecutive evenings... The combination of those 4 "extras" in my week wobbled the tightrope. Normally, I'd make it up at the weekend but I was away on Saturday (in London to The Lion King - fantastic show I'd highly recommend it to anyone when it comes to Dub later this year) and my other half was away for the full weekend so Sunday was a write off too and so that was that, onwards & upwards and it's new shoe week!! A pair of Glideride 3 arrived to my door last week so I am looking forward to trying them out this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Got a pair of the Glideride 3 myself last week in the same offer (I think). Although they'll have to stay in the box for a couple of months - can't justify adding another shoe to the rotation until I phase out a few. They felt great for the 20 minute around-the-house tester I did last night though!

• Advertisement

I wore them last night for a 30min run incl. some strides. Very comfy shoe, I felt like I was gliding along at easy pace and I was definitely quicker for the same effort (although I hadn't run since last Wed so fresh legs may also have been a factor in that). Nothing special on the strides so I don't think I'd use them for faster sessions except for longer steady efforts. They'd be perfect for those FRR long endurance runs with some faster miles or progression thrown in 😉

March 6th - March 12th (Week 10 of 2023)

Monday: 30mins easy + strides

Tues: 5m very easy @ 10:15 pace

Wed: rest

Thurs: rest

Fri: 1k EIM reps - really enjoyed this, hadn't done any EIM in the last 2 weeks after them becoming a regular staple and I missed them, felt like I could run forever like this.

Sat: Just 3m on the treadmill before the gym and a busy day.

Sun: 10m with 10k moderate with surges every km. Was really really tired for this, felt it from the start and thought I'd warm into it but I didn't, a complete contrast to Friday's run and finished wondering why I put myself through it at all. I was tired for the day afterwards as well, felt drained and legs were achy.

29 miles for the week

Super performances over the weekend from these parts, delighted to see so many well deserved PBs and all round solid racing, very inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Some runs wipe me as well - and always the most random ones . I think it’s all part of this busy life we all have !

I'm looking for 5k training tips!

For those not paying attention 🤣

I'm currently loosely doing

1 x short easy run with some strides (30mins all in)

1 x easy run (45mins-1hr)

1 x threshold interval session (eg. 4 * 5mins off 2min rec, 3 * 8min off 3mins rec, 2 x 10mins off 4mins rec)

1 x easy run with some 1k intervals based on the EIM

1 x longish run (10miles is the longest this year), mostly but not always with some moderate pace and/or surges thrown in

I'm hoping to break 22 this year and my first attempt will be in 10 weeks time 🤢🤢🤢

PB stands at 22:42 since May 2019 (I haven't raced 5k since then) and most recent parkrun is 22:59 from December last

All advice/constructive criticism welcome 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

One tip I have is that 5Ks take practice to get the pacing/effort/pain acceptance to where it needs to be for a pb run at that distance so accept that it could take a few goes but I suspect you'll surprise yourself pretty quickly. The nice thing with 5Ks is that if it doesn't work out this week you can plan for another attempt pretty soon....what race/course are you looking at?

Also you could factor in a some mile time trials into the training block, they help build confidence and practice getting to race effort and also to track progress...without killing you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Totally agree with this, it took me a few goes last year faiely close together to eventually get my pb! You may get it on your 1st attempt which would be the best result but if not don't lose heart & try again as soon as you can after!

Thanks. I have 2 races lined up initially in May anyways but they're just a week apart though so we'll see how it goes, I probably won't taper much for the first one seeing as it's more of a tune up race, though possibly a bit close for a tune up really. I was listening to some podcasts this week and the same theme came up twice - that people tend underestimate what they can do in the long term and over estimate what they do in the short term - I felt like they were speaking to me 🙄 So maybe I'll go with a A goal of sub 22 and a B goal that I'd be extremely happy with of a PB of any size.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Your basic structure looks pretty good to me, and I like the look of those threshold intervals. Have you raced a 5k yet off the EIM method, and if not, why not stick to a specific EIM 5k schedule (assuming there is one) and see how it goes?

If you're looking for some different kind of session ideas, I had a few attempts at a sub-20 5k TT a couple of years back during partial lockdown. The final attempt had the following structure over seven weeks, a schedule given to me by a couple of my running buddies. Remembering I had a good base going into it, as do you.

Mon/Tue - Easy

Wed - Weeks 1-5 and week 7: club session (because I wanted to integrate the plan with club work at the time). These were usually intervals at 3-5k pace. e.g. 400m (8-10 reps), 600m (6-8 reps), 800m (5-6 reps). The shorter the interval the faster the pace per. Week 6 I did a specific session, 5 x 1k @ 5k pace (150m rec): a very tough session, as I remember, but the coaches deemed it successful and the goal was 'on'.

Thu - rest or recovery

Fri - 'Tempo' session. These were at somewhere between 10 mile and half marathon pace. Some of these were combined with hills. Over 7 weeks the sessions were:

• 10mins T / 3 mins easy / 8 x 30 secs hills / 3 mins easy / 10 mins T
    • 12 mins T / 3 mins E /8 x 30s hills / 3 mins E / 12 mins T
    • 20 mins T / 3 mins E / 8 x 30s hills
    • 4 x 8 mins T
    • 30 mins T
    • easy
    • easy

Sat - easy/recovery

Sun - 90 mins very easy. Or a bit more if necessary to hit weekly target, which was seven hours for me. (You may not have this kind of time available and obviously you should not be ramping things up too much anyway in terms of mileage over the short period). I'd been given this plan/time targets by my training buddies, and it was based on fairly consistent mileage of 40 mpw average over a good long period.

So the basic structure was the usual mix of speed, tempo, long. What was new for me with this plan was the split tempo sessions with hills - tough but fun.

Anyway maybe a few ideas there if you're not on a more strict schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I think I'm to opposite to the majority in terms of over/underestimation. I'm rarely confident before a race (often misunderstood as sandbagging 🤣), yet I hold some lofty and probably unachievable long term goals.

I can identify with that somewhat but I'd guess you are more realistic than I am!! I can sit here and be absolutely confident that with the right training I am capable of a 3:30 marathon but I have no intention to train for another marathon for the foreseeable to it's very easy to believe then when I don't have to actually prove it to myself or put my money where my mouth is!! I'm trying to take a leaf from all the really big achievements around here recently and be a little bit braver and set big goals... It goes completely against my innate nature! Time will tell where it gets me 👀

Thanks @Murph_D some super stuff there. Hills are my achilles heel! After I put up that original post I had thought to mix some speed to my threshold runs but not hills so I may just borrow your 7 weeks there - with a little bit lower volume, I currently run 5hrs (and do 2hrs strength). I think some hills could make a difference to me.

March 13th - March 19th (Week 11 of 2023)

Monday: Usual 30mins easy incl some strides

Tuesday: Very easy hour

Wed: Rest

Thursday: 2 * (6' threshold, 2' rec, 4 * 1'/1' on/off).

The threshold intervals were done on HR as usual but came in @ 7:30 & 7:28 respectively. The 1' were around 6:50-6:58 (3k pace at a guess). This was done in torrential rain - it was bouncing off the roads and the roads were flooded due to so much rain falling in a short space of time, it was also dark which meant it was hard to really push the pace as I was watching through the sheets of rain & floods for potholes and uneven road surface, was very surprised at the paces really considering, not enjoyable but good to get it done.

Friday: Easy run. Pace came in at moderate (5m @ 9:19) but HR was very similar to Tuesday which was significantly slower. Had also done strength on Thursday morning so was surprised to be buzzing like this.

Saturday: 4.35 miles in all. Parkrun @ Easy Tempo pace (8:25 - 8:45) - HR was sub threshold for this, I'd say this is around my 'Steady' pace/effort.

Sunday: 8miles easy with 6 * 1min surges

33 miles for the week

Same with the goal setting I’ve just had a revelation that maybe I could be a better runner if I just stop boxing myself in. I’m moving on from the sub 50 pace being my tenk pace after about 15 years !!! I’m actually quite excited by the prospect . I think my mind set change has come from seeing big achievements on here plus listening /reading to running podcasts especially on mental strength and the big old central governor !

We certainly can put limits on ourselves. And we are lucky here there is inspiration all around - people hitting big milestone times but also other people patiently chipping away at PBs or patiently training away for target races months down the line. Yes I'd like to be brave and go after big goals but i also don't want to over look the achievements on the journey, especially PBs of any size! Some day they will be a thing of the past so i think we should celebrate any at all while we can! In my situation, I'd love to run sub 22 and I want to chase that, but what if I don't, what If i run 22:20 in May? That is still be a huge PB and a step closer to my goal, so I don't want to walk away disappointed because I am too focussed on some arbitrary goal. There's a fine line between setting big goals and appreciating any achievement, at the end of the day they are all a bit arbitrary unless its a Boston Qualifier or scoring for a team etc.

That's my thoughts for today anyways, that could change tomorrow 😉

Boston qualifying hey - you’re putting ideas in my head !

The qualifying times for women aren't too bad I don't think 😉

• Advertisement

3:50 for women 45-49 . A shoe in for me 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Are you going to do the Galway 5k series? my brothers have been talking about it hence how i know its coming up!

I'd love to but it's actually very difficult to get a place, it sells out in a handful of minutes apparently, your brothers might know? My understanding is that a lot of places are gone before it goes for general sale as each of the 6 clubs involved all get a quota of places? Also in other years a number of the races are actually quite a distance from me with me being so far north and Galway being a big enough county, but the locations for this year aren't actually advertised yet. There is a similar series in Mayo, except with just 4 events and much much smaller numbers (probably a draw back in a different way as there isn't the depth) and it is 2 of those events that I'm targeting. Last year the Mayo series got cancelled though so maybe I may try to get a place the Galway series 🤔

Yeah seems to be on sale next Monday, hadn't realised how coveted places are! One is in a club who hosts so that might be true alright. According to family sources, this year they are in Skehana, Caltra, Loughrea, Craughwell, Kilcornan and Athenry. I know where 3 of those places are 😆

None of them are too far from each other - they used to be more dispersed across the county. Not a million miles from me though, probably all within 50mins. Hmm, food for thought. Thanks V.

Ended up signing up for those V and I'm regretting it already! I can already hear myself cursing you mid race, try not to take it personally if your ears are burning 😂😂

Hahaha, I'll allow it if it means I can take some responsibility when you come out the other side of the series with a new 5k PB 😉

March 20th - March 26th (Week 12 of 2023)

Monday: Rest/Didn't do my usual run

Tuesday: Awful night but got 50mins very easy done - got soaked to the bone and blown all around the place for my sins

Wednesday: Squeezed a lunchtime run of 3 * 1k & 4 * 100m EIM reps

Thursday: Repeated last week's session except I got dizzy half way through it and pulled the plug. No reason for the dizziness, HR was the same as last week, paces if anything were a bit slower but it felt quite humid, I was definitely over-heating a bit.

6' thr @ 7:29

4 * 1' @ 7:25, 6:46, 6:52, 7:00

4:50 thr @ 7:31 ( was supposed to be 6 mins and another 4 * 1')

Fri: Easy + Strides - the run I usually do on a Monday. Also did a Dexa scan earlier in the day, interested to see the results. When I did the LT Test in December it turned out I was 7kg lighter than when I did my last LT Test (2019). I didn't think I had lost weight - certainly not body fat and definitely not that much, maybe 1-2kg, so I am a bit concerned about bone density loss and being the age I am my GP agreed that it's good to get a baseline.

Sat: Rest

Sun: Another EIM run - 10k moderate with surges every km, 10 miles all in with w/u & c/d.

31miles in total

So it seems I have gone from having 2 5k races at the end of May to signing up for 6 weekly races starting in less than 4 weeks time. Not much time to train so I guess I will race myself fit - if I don't race myself into the ground doing it! I have no clue what any of the courses are like so I may have to kindly ask @ReeReeG to pick her brother's local knowledge to see if there's any of the races I should target more specifically for a PB 😊 I don't plan to taper for them and they coincide with leg day in the gym also I expect it will be a tough few weeks but I'm excited (and petrified) to do a 5k after a 4 year hiatus! I may not do them all, I'm sure there will be some clashes.

March 27th - April 2nd (Week 13 of 2023)

Energy was quite low this week, not much running but at least got my usual gym sessions in. Very happy to see the back of March, it was a fairly awful month on multiple levels. Hopefully April will be easier, it should be, it's looking a bit lighter on personal stuff anyways.

Mon/Tues: Didn't run.

Wed: 4 * 1k + 4 * 100m EIM intervals.

Thursday: Easy run

Friday: Didn't run

Saturday: 6 * 1k + 4 * 100m EIM intervals.

Sunday: No run, a long walk by the sea in the Spring sunshine though which was fab ❤️

22 miles in total

• Advertisement

Meant to say, yes I'll ask about the 5k series races and which is best for PB efforts. Hope April improves for you on all levels.

Advertisement