Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Babies Case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

In fairness kids do WhatsApp on a different level

They share every sort of sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Well i know someone close to it who told me the ins and outs of how it was done.

But for the whatsapps, its friends and aquaitances who are sending around the whatsapps. I imagine everyone in Kerry is in a whatsapp group of any description that has had the news at this point. Even my local GAA whatsapp group in Dublin is receiving those posts now.

News spreads. People are interested and curious. Thats why you are in this thread too, so you shouldnt climb too high up on your horse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

They really don't though

I've been in plenty of soccer groups and nothing is shared except the business of soccer

Kids I know share everything . Picture of a car crash comes up on Facebook and they're whatsapping it

Adults its business only ime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭Xander10

I presume you mean known since the arrest and release, as opposed to known or suspected for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

DNA doesnt hide any secrets. Alot of families are finding out secret relations from years and generations back through DNA. Children born outside of marriage and adopted, children born from affairs etc.

The fact that this couple remained quiet all these years knowing that another woman was being put through hell is criminal. Thats whats hard to understand - its hard to have compassion for them. Even if they didnt kill the baby themselves - the woman in the couple definitely knew she had a baby at that time and it disappeared. How they could sit back and watch Joanne Hayes go through what she did? They even stayed in the Kerry area. Its shocking.

• Advertisement

Not a single person I know ever suspected or claims to know anyone who ever suspected these people.

Obviously you are in different whatsapp groups than i am.

Yes there are the official groups where its club business only, but most clubs have splinter whatsapps too there people can be a bit more, shall we say, less restrained with what they post to each other. Not everyone would be invited into these that might be in the official group, especially if they were sensitive souls. Its the same with childrens class groups. You would have the regular one and then one without the teacher or the parents who were friends with the teacher, mostly so everyone else can have a moan about the teacher or the school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Very easy to comment from behind a keyboard totally removed from the situation decades on from the actual events.

I don't know anything about theses people or what they were going through at the time or in the years since.

I'll reserve judgement until if more information is known, if it is ever known.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

People are malicious gossip mongers, giving absolutely no thought to extended members of the family who would have nothing to do with this case, younger members of the family who will be affected and ignoring the fact that, as yet, no charges have been made and the full facts have yet to be estaished . People are creaming themselves with utter glee at the chance to rubber neck and spread "news" of what they've been told by someone who told them something told by someone else. As grown adults, do they really think they are showing respect to a murdered innocent by behaving like this? And before you lecture me on how Kerry people are, I am one, I live here and I haven't heard anyone try to mention who they are. Most of us over a certain age remember well the public hounding of the Hayes family and similar horsesh1t stories doing the rounds about them and don't want to repeat that. Let the law, and the courts deal with this and show that poor baba some respect.

I could easily throw out a load of Whatsapp messages to a load of people asking who the two arrested are.

I'll probably get replies, some accurate, some not.

But I'm not going to seek that information in the first place because even though I am curious about this case and the latest developments speculation about the identities of the two arrested is just that, speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

And how do you feel about what Joanne Hayes was put through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

DNA is not speculation though.

And their solicitor is, from my reading of it, pretty much saying they are possibly the parents.

After that it's who murdered them that needs to be established.

Well the guards standing outside the house is on the public road so nothing strange that somebody might take a photograph.

It was wrong.

But that doesn't mean that I automatically point the finger at the family of Baby John and hold them responsible for what happened to Joanne Hayes.

Because I or you have no idea what was happening in the family of Baby John at the time, and it's just so, so simple to throw out edgy comments on an anonymous message board decades after the fact.

Pretty grim. Says a lot about the photographer and the people forwarding it on. None of it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well let's hope nothing serious happens to those people where all assundry WhatsApp it around with "facts and speculations". I wonder how they would feel then to have everyone discussing it

Ah would you stop. Every time there's a crime scene it's on RTE or the local media or whatever, it's common practice.

Same with car crashes recently people sharing pictures of the dead people in cars etc.

But the idle gossip about who they are is not linked to DNA, it's only speculation.

Someone far removed from Kerry on a WhatsApp group with a picture of a Garda standing outside a house.

I'm sure I could make up a post like that and claim it to be true in 2 minutes.

Until they are named officially or admit it officially then it will always be just idle gossip.

Edit: Here is a picture of a Garda outside the house of the arrested.

And below is the real article it was taken from

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

The fact that John's grave was vandalised multiple times down through the years shows that there was at least one seriously disturbed/affected person out there at the time.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20466038.html

They'd be on here saying how disgusting it all was, just like they're outraged by what happened to Joanne Hayes and her family, but 40 years ago they'd have been the very people spreading nasty stories about them round the town of Tralee. No different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its not so much that they couldnt cope with a baby. Its understandable given how ireland was at the time that they may not have been able to go through with raising the could out of wedlock etc.

The baby was stabbed 28 times and thrown into the sea. An innocent woman was let carry the can. It seems even now that self preservation is the most important thing.

Yes none of us know what they were going through i get that. But that kid shouldnt have been treated like that.

If there's a house sealed off with the guards outside, and the family are staying with friends / relatives then it's hardly idle gossip as to who the arrested people are.

And their solicitor seems to be accepting that it's very probable that the DNA will return a match.

None of the above is idle gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

there was no such thing as mental health back then so theres no way the mother should be held responsilbe especially after all these years

But where are you getting the info that the house is sealed off with guards outside it and the people staying with relatives ?

Nowhere official I'd bet.

It's just idle gossip.

And as I just demonstrated anyone can throw up a photo on the internet and claim it to be something it's not.

And so what if the solicitor is accepting that the DNA will be a match ?

He's not naming them in public right now is he ?

In the meantime, their home in south Kerry remains part of a crime scene investigation.

As a result, they have to stay with friends and relatives until detectives give them permission to return.

It has been reported that a DNA sample was taken from a bin, which led to the two arrests at 7.30pm on Thursday evening.

Asked about this, Mr O’Connell said: “My clients are waiting for due process to take its course and for people not to jump to any conclusions.

“The gardaí had to come up with something from somebody somewhere to get the authority to arrest them.

“But arresting somebody on the basis of DNA is totally different to arresting somebody on suspicion of murder.

You arent fooling anyone but yourself. you are posting in a thread about the Kerry babies. Dont pretend you didnt come here out of anything other than curiosity and a hope to get more news, much like eveyone else in this thread. At least be honest with yourself. Dont stand there on the pulpit pointing your finger at the masses when you are exactly the same as those you are pointing your finger at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It is hard to fathom how the mother who had the baby John got away with never have been a suspect instead the murder squad concentrate on suspect pregnant mom JH 75 km away .For this to take 39 years to come to light when the suspected family were living all along in the locality of Baby John is some garda fuk up

What sort of a murder squad had we back then?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The murder squad were a bunch of thugs who beat confessions out of whomever they presumed was guilty. More often than not, they got the correct person (given the lack of them saying otherwise). However, some of them were entirely innocent but this wasn't going to stop them follow their line of incompetence. Their bullying and identifying of the wrong suspect has directly led to at least one subsequent murder - that of Martin Kerrigan.

They are an utterly disgusting disgrace to policing.

You speak for yourself. If the news is circulating so freely round the county as is claimed I wouldn't have to come here for it. People are acting as judge, jury and executioner and loving it. That is a reflection on them. If you don't like it being pointed out to you that others find that kind of behaviour distasteful in the extreme, that's your problem. If you don't realise that sharing that kind of information could jeopardise any case and the hope for justice for Baby John and his story finally being known, then you need to educate yourself. But maybe, that's not what interests you. You want the scandal and the chance to insert yourself into the drama by being someone who can spread some bit if info.

Tell me, how would you feel if a family member was implicated in a historical crime that you had nothing to do with and details of your family, home and children, workplace were being shared over social media?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

And if it turns up nothing or something what about your idle gossip of the innocent who may live in that house

Advertisement