Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Who believes that Furze?

We are fully aware of what Catholicism did in our country and it isn't 'good'. Where have you been for the last 25 to 30 years.

Stop peddling 1960 versions of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Jaysus Francie, the attitude I portray above is rampant in the south. It's just part of the culture. Frequently on display and read here and many other social media sites. Most obvious of course when the Brits are playing any tournament and we all hope they get thrashed.

oh FFS that old rubbish again.

What about when a Royal comes here? There are loads out to welcome, Irish and British go back and forth to each others islands, no probs. We work there and they work here, no problem.

But a bit of sporting rivalry = you've all been brainwashed to hate them.

It's no different to neighbouring GAA county rivalry, mostly good natured ribbing that can occaisionally get more antagonistic.

I'm surprised at you Francie. Sure at an official level, the glad hand will be proffered and British visitors treated with respect. But there's a deep ingrained resentment as well and it ill behoves you to try and sweep that under the carpet.

Take something like the Famine. I've seen many social media articles that touch on this and the subsequent comments always descend into allegations of genocide and hatred.

Which proves what exactly?

Are you claiming that we are unusual in that we have many opinions across our society about our history? It is a divided history, two people in the same classroom might have different views on it.

There is no brainwashing going on Furze, it's a cliche you trotted out.

We go abroad, we are respectful of other cultures as we are here at home, with some minor exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Tell me this Furze. Is Tobar Mór and Tobermore pronounced the same? If so, then I would argue that it is not anglicised. It would be a bit like writing Mill Pond in Irish phonetics so as an Irish person who spoke Irish and not English could read it so as when they speak it sounds as mill pond - and then saying that that is if gaelicised. Do you see my point? And is it reasonable?

I get your point ability tobormore, but do you not think it would be much more effective at awakening peoples interest and knowledge of Irish to see ‘the big well’ written as well.

I remember being really interested many years ago the read the translations of all the Mourne mountains in English. I helped me realise the richness of the Irish names. Had someone just instead showed me how the perfect Irish spelling looked it would have been of zero interest to me. I think those promoting Irish are missing a trick.

Tobermore has no meaning. There are no word 'Tober' in the English language.(there is a slang word) It references nothing in the original placename.

You don't need the English language to be interested in placenames in Irish. This therefore makes no sense:

I remember being really interested many years ago the read the translations of all the Mourne mountains in English. I helped me realise the richness of the Irish names. Had someone just instead showed me how the perfect Irish spelling looked it would have been of zero interest to me. I think those promoting Irish are missing a trick.

I.E. I don't need anything more than εἰς τὴν Πόλιν (pronounced 'is tim ˈbolin') to be interested in where the name for Istanbul came from. It means 'to the city'.

In Ireland the names that have no interest(because they have no meaning) are those spelt Tobermore, because it means nothing in English. There are worse examples where the placenames were completely gotten rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I wouldnt condemn anyone, but I would question why people would be so offended when their ancestors spoke Irish themselves, prior to the Plantation of Ulster.

Northern Ireland is still Irish.

Be it currently part of the UK or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Unionism now sees the Irish language through siege mentality glasses. It's another war that has to be won.

Unionism didn't always have this hate and antipathy towards the native tongue, Carson spoke it and Paisley, Trimble (even) had no problems calling themselves Irish.

As manifested right now, throughout Unionism, 'insecurity' in their own identity is at the root of this.

Of course strategically it cannot be won, dual language signage is going up across the province. They'd have been better off embracing it and the pace would probably have been slower.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Quote: Tell me this Furze. Is Tobar Mór and Tobermore pronounced the same? If so, then I would argue that it is not anglicised. It would be a bit like writing Mill Pond in Irish phonetics so as an Irish person who spoke Irish and not English could read it so as when they speak it sounds as mill pond - and then saying that that is if gaelicised. Do you see my point? And is it reasonable?

Well, Ulster Scots is just English with a Glasgee accent, but it means a lot to all those Ulster folk who speak it.

I do not know how many Ulster folk who actually speak it, or if any actually do, but there you go - political footballs are like that - irrelevant becomes vital when a football needs a good kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

You are quite right there downcow. Sinn Fein erecting a sign predominately in Irish ( it is not just the name of the village in Irish, it begins with Failte go...which means welcome to ) in a predominately Protestant village is just the thin edge of the wedge. Continue to resist a UI downcow, because otherwise you and your community will be out. Never underestimate the Republican propaganda machine, and how effective it is in brainwashing people.

Before you know it your kids and grandkids would need Irish to pass their secondary school education and to get in to Irish universities like UCD, UCG, UCC, to to get a government job. It happened here ( south of the border) Your kids and grandkids would find history part of the school curriculum, and be taught all about the famine and to hate the British, and there would be posters of the heroes ( I witnessed the "heroes" of 1916 in my time ie the republican leaders of the 1916 rising - in another generation it would be of Bobby Sands and Co if Sinn Fein get their way. )

So effective is the SF type brainwashing that the ladies Irish National Soccer Team ( not even gaa plays, who are typically more republican ) chanted Uh Ah Up the RA in a football ground in the UK. Imagine the furore if a Saudi Arabian soccer team for example chanted pro Taliban / pro 9/11 bomber slogans in the USA? So effective is the brainwashing some Irish do not even see the harm / insult in the Irish national team chanting Uh Ah Up the RA, and do not see the Le Mons bombing, Bloody Friday bombing and the thousands of other Republican bombings etc for example as the exact same as the 9/11 except perhaps in scale.

I agree with you that it is sad a SF council is so determined to raise tensions.etc

Post edited by Francis McM on

Correct. And as a catholic educated in the 26 counties I have to agree with you. Most of those who were brainwashed do not even realise they were brainwashed. As the catholic church said, "give me a boy until they are 7 and I will show you the man". Except the brainwashing continued until leaving secondary school. Hard to blame the victims in a way. A bit like the many victims of abuse, many did not believe they were abused at the time or come forward until decades later.

The contrast between the way the two communities dealt with Language Rights could not be greater.

Nobody in Nationalism objected to Ulster Scots legislation passing - indeed nationalist/republican led councils have introduced Ulster Scots legislation and have passed it. Here is the front page of a detailed Derry and Stabane's policy doc. Full doc on their website.

Contrast that with the constant blocking of Agreements - international and local by Unionism, from the DUP leadership right down to local councillors condoning the vandalising of signage.

As the catholic church said, "give me a boy until they are 7 and I will show you the man".

That quote is attributed to a pagan Greek philosopher called Aristotle.

It was also attributed to Aristotle if you go back far enough, you are correct there. However, in more relatively recent times, it was the founder of the Jesuit Brotherhood who was famous (or infamous) for that saying, which he copied " Give me a child till he is seven years old,’ said St Ignatius Loyola, ‘ and I will show you the man." Google it if you do not believe me.

The Christian Brothers had some "great" sayings that stick out, which they sometimes copied from others but repeated often. I remember another one was " Burn everything British but their coal". As Furse99 correctly pointed out the anti-English / anti protestant brainwashing .."Take something like the Famine. I've seen many social media articles that touch on this and the subsequent comments always descend into allegations of genocide and hatred." he wrote. No wonder only some months ago the ladies Irish national football team, God help them, ended up chanting Up the Ra in Britain, which suffered many bombings at the hands of the RA, not unlike how the US mainland suffered 9/11.

Back to the topic, do you not think Downcow was correct in stating SF should not have raised tensions in the predominately Protestant village by erecting Irish language signage?

No Francis, it was Aristotle that said it, NOT the Catholic Church.

'Also attributed'....😀

The Catholic Church also denounced the 1916 Rising, but the people of Ireland ignored them as we know. They have also ignored RC teaching more spectacularly in recent decades but never let the truth get in the way of propounding myths and falsehoods about your own people.

There was a revolution against British oppression and the lack of equality/self determination for ordinary Irish people here, as there was right around the world in their other colonies and dominion, this we know. Some people regret that but the vast majority accept it and cherish their sovereignty.

However, despite the cliches presented by you (and wrongful quotes), the evidence today suggests that British people are more than welcome here and vice versa.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Back to the topic, do you not think Downcow was correct in stating SF should not have raised tensions in the predominately Protestant village by erecting Irish language signage?

Firstly, SF did not raise tensions by erecting Irish language signage. The council erected the signs.

On that basis, can you explain why tensions were raised over some signage? As the introduction of Irish had been agreed by their politicians, what grounds might there have been for tensions because making it out to be some kind of sectarian intimidation doesn't stack up when you think that even the DUP voted in favour of introducing Irish?

Downcow and Francis have suspect ability at Maths.

Mid Ulster Council has 35 councillors in total. SF has 15 of those seats at the table.

Do the math, as they say.

Francie, I said it was St Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits who said  Give me a child till he is seven years old, and I will show you the man."

I also said Aristotle probably said it, but lets face it, the influence of someone like Aristotles who was born nearly 400 BC as far as I remember was / is probably much less than the Jesuits / Christian Brothers, who as Furze99 wrote yesterday " It's the reality of it Francie, when you have a large majority on one side who've been brainwashed by a century of 'Christian Brother' history." He clarified "Yes brainwashed with simplistic narrative of history - i.e. Brits/ Prods = Bad and Irish/ Catholic = Good."

• Advertisement

You said:

As the catholic church said, "give me a boy until they are 7 and I will show you the man".

That's a proper quote from YOUR post.

Ignatius, a member of the RC church quoted Aristotle, a pagan Greek.

And as I said to Furze, he is using a 1950's/60's version of Ireland to peddle a myth and outdated cliche. Ireland does not bear any resemblance to the Ireland of the Christian Brothers.

We ignore Catholic teachings now that don't suit how we live. We have modernised in other words.

Did you not read the links? As the 3 links I provided to you showed, it was the Catholic leader St Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits, on behalf of the Catholic church, who used the slogan "give me a boy until they are 7 and I will show you the man".

Back to the point about the Irish language signs at the predominately Protestant village: its the thin edge of the wedge if Sinn Fein get their way. As someone else said, if SF get their way fully the Protestants will have to face the choice of moving to Britain or being assimilated into the Irish Republic. If they think Irish signs are bad wait until they have to do compulsory Irish in school, go to certain universities, get a government job etc - as happened here..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Back to the point about the Irish language signs at the predominately Protestant village: its the thin edge of the wedge if Sinn Fein get their way. As someone else said, if SF get their way fully the Protestants will have to face the choice of moving to Britain or being assimilated into the Irish Republic. If they think Irish signs are bad wait until they have to do compulsory Irish in school, go to certain universities, get a government job etc - as happened here..

You're not actually answering my questions here but merely speculating on something someone else said might happen.

Downcow, take no notice of Francie and his casual dismissal of anglicised placenames.

Firstly, the name of any place belongs to the people of that place and what they call it is correct. How they spell it when they give out their postal address is the correct written form.

So whatever way the people who have lived all their lives in Tobermore, say it or write is correct. And should always be respected. Where other versions are give for clarification, they should be by way of explaining the name and of less prominence on public signage.

As for your query on pronunciation, Tobar would normally be said like 'tubber' as in Tubbercurry. So phonetically Tobar Mór would usually be said more like 'Tubber-more' in southern parts of Ireland. But Irish language pronunciation is tricky and there are curious dialect differences in true Ulster Irish. You'd only get these from native speakers though, not the ones who've learnt standard official Irish.

It is Sinn Fein pressure / Sinn Fein dominated Councils who are erecting Irish language signage. Tensions are raised, the same as if a unionist dominated council put a scots gaelic sign on the falls road.

There is existing signage which is understood by all. The English language is perfectly acceptable to the residents of the predominately Protestant village in Co. Down. Most Protestants / unionists do not want money wasted on Irish language signs. Show me where the DUP said they would have to suffer the sight of these signs in their own area?

Another headline recently was " Unionists slam Sinn Fein proposal to erect Irish over 600 streets one week after rates hike of 7.99%".

In NI according to the 2021 census 0.3% of the people speak Irish as their first language. I would say there are a number of nationalists as well as a large number of unionists who see Irish Language act as a waste of money given how few people speak it natively, and think there are better ways to spend the money even on those who want to learn the language.

Irish language has been politicised for a long time. I seem to remember - but could be wrong - that many years ago Gerry Adams said "equality was a trojan horse that was going to break the bastards". Think statements like that from prominent representatives have helped to create a stigma about the irish language within unionism. As someone else said "Interpretation of that is small victories (or equalities) that will eventually lead to the bigger goal - Unity or an Irish dominated society. So whilst unsaid, forcing "Unionist territories" being renamed with Irish Street signs might be seen as a victory if done so politically where they are then protected by the governing body and unionists are powerless to react."

Think of it. 0.3% of the people in N.I. speak Irish as their first language. And yet there are rates hike of 7.99% in some areas to help erect Irish language signs.

Downcow, Continue to resist a UI, because otherwise you and your community will be out. Never underestimate the Republican propaganda machine, and how effective it is in brainwashing people. As I said earlier today but you are probably working and have not been on since, before you know it your kids and grandkids would need Irish to pass their secondary school education and to get in to Irish universities like UCD, UCG, UCC, to to get a government job. It happened here ( south of the border).

Post edited by Francis McM on

Not Francie here and I dont mean to cause offence to anyone. Apologies If I have downcow.

But I would clearly state that Northern Ireland is both British and Irish & that it was Irish alone a long time before it was ever British.

I am not religious in any way, I have no skin in that game.

Just a simple man that advocates logic.

Compromise is key, as always. And respect for all opinions.

As you say, there is no war to be won, or fought, if we dont create one in the first place.

There is no reason why opposing views cant be harmonious and respectful of one another.

These signs have been up for years now.

There has been no complaints of anyone either consciously or unconsciously losing their Irish or British identity as a result.

Most people enjoy the diversity and inclusivity they display though.

Agreed. Biligual signage is inclusive for all and it does reflect the history of the land.

• Advertisement

OWC/our wee country is doing a lot of work there Francis.

Aren't you one who decries the north not moving on and finidng ways to live with one another and to be inclusive?

How much will tagging areas as belonging to the DUP ('in their own area') help with that?

When, for that matter has Protestantism said it cannot have Irish about the place?

It never did, it is bigots who claim that position for Protestantism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement