Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

I see PCem blowing up in popularity lately, presumably because of this video. People seem to think it's a new emulator, but has in fact been out for a good while.

Must give it a go, I've been setting up some vm's lately...i want classic installs of everything from Dos up to Windows 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Be sure to let us know how you get on with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

From tinkering with PCem, its no replacement for DOSBOX. Only benefit is that PCem 'just works' while to get the most from DOSBOX (from my experiance) requires a lot of fiddling with the config(s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

So I finally decided to give the free version of Launchbox a go as a friend who grew up with the SNES and n64 consoles wants to play them again and I wanted to make it as easy as possible to launch without having to go through about 6 screens of Retroarch just to launch a game.

I have to say it's very slick, the emumovies plugin and scrapers are so easy to use, and it even downloads Retroarch for you!

I thought I was going to have to manually install Retroarch and point it at the directory so this was a nice surprise.

It's a really nice frontend. With bigbox then, there's some fantastic community themes that just give the whole thing a near professional finish.

I tend to stick to Launchbox tho, for speed and simplicity.

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried the recent Road Rash Improvement patches? - https://www.romhacking.net/community/2797/

Good lord, talk about transformative. The frame rate is significantly improved, the input/handling is now sharp & responsive, and to top that, you can pair them up with CD-Audio tracks. There's a fantastic author called Dean Harris:

^^ His tracks go tremendously well with the game levels. His site is here - https://deanharriscomposer.com/videos/

The game really feels now what it could have been, or should have been, like on the Mega CD. To emphasise though, the changes to the handling are beyond transformative, the game is so much more enjoyable now.

Also compatible with original hardware too I believe. I spent the morning grabbing the audio and patching the entire series of games for the MD & Mega CD...absolutely delighted to have them, and look forward to playing them now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just wondering if anyone successfully added a new section to retropie? I want to add a lightgun section for each console. For example, if i have SNES, i then want "SNES Lightgun" next to it. I don't want the Lightgun games to show inside the SNES section.

Currently i have a custom section that I've created in the GUI, and added ROMs to it. This would be perfect except the ROMs still show in the original SNES section.

I've followed a couple of guides online but neither have worked. So now I'm wondering is it even possible.

Cheers.

The Dolphin Triforce builds are seeing some love again!

I just tried F-Zero AX there, the real version, not the one on the GX disc that you can unlock...plays beautifully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Only after seeing that now, great find! I see there's a Road Rash 2 improvement, will give that a go this evening.

All of them are done, 1 to 3 and the unique Mega CD version. They're brilliant, way better than original versions and work on real hardware too

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Gave 2 a go, one of the best rom hacks I've ever seen. The control improvement is incredible.

Heard my Mega CD spin up when I started a level - turns out I had Final Fight in the drive and totally forgot, the soundtrack started to play. 😁

I shall be having some fun with that and my CD collection!

Master of the Universe

On a side point, it was a bit of a pain actually getting the fecking rom onto an SD card 😁

I bought a new laptop last year that doesn't have any SD card ports. Usually get around it with a micro SD to USB reader.

I've had the same 8GB SD card in my V1.0 Sega Everdrive now for about 12 or 13 years - so of course it's a full sized SD, not a micro SD.

Not a single full sized SD card reader in the whole house! It's actually crazy how certain types of tech that we take for granted like that are slowly being phased out.

In the end I'd to dig out a 15 year old Lenovo from the attic that happened to have a full sized SD card reader on it.

TLDR: I really have to update the SD card in my Sega Everdrive to a Micro 😁

BTW, those rom hacks support overclocking. I tried it in Genesis Plus GX and it's very smooth, but still ever so slightly feels like fast forward is on (it isn't, the game logic is unaffected)...yeara of playing the game at stock frame rates I suppose.

MS seems to have nuked emulation capabilities on the Xbox under Retail mode there a few days ago. Still available (with blessing from MS for the moment) under Developer mode, but there's some restrictions I believe in this mode. Seemingly it has been said unofficially, that Nintendo were the primary reason (Dolphin) for the decision, in conjunction with security concerns (permissions needed for certain emulators.). There was also the Xenia release, which basically ran a fair amount of 360 titles outside of the backwards compatibility program.

Unrelated, but I have wondered how long it'll take Nintendo's lawyers to spring into action with Dolphin now released on Steam, and the Steamdeck being almost a better Switch than the Switch itself thanks to emulation. I've absolutely no interest in using Steam for emulation, and I do wonder are the Dolphin team going a step too far here. I know it's a fully open source and legal implementation of GC & Wii emulation, but Nintendo have very, very deep pockets to challenge these things....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo have absolutely no legal grounds to put a stop to dolphin. As long as a bios has to be provided by the user and no signed code is used there's absolutely nothing illegal about emulation.

We know that, the Dolphin team know that, even Nintendo know it....but it wouldn't be the first time a company has abused the legal system to drown out a smaller player.

The recent Internet Archive case feels like the spearhead of a wave of this kind of crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's strange Microsoft folded to it, it's why I don't quite believe the story it's Nintendo's doing as Ms have the funds to fight them in court. A lot of the time those claims are made by people that just want to **** on Nintendo for everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I installed a few bits on the Steamdeck, I am playing Sega Model 3 titles via Supermodel Assistant and having a blast with CoinOps Legends 3, thanks Bandit for the advice!

Concerning the latter, how can I add to that?

It would be great if it could include the art and so on, as well as the games, it does seem to be missing a couple, such as Raiden II.

I'm inclined to agree the primary reason likely wasn't Nintendo. For me, Xenia is more likely. That said, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if it was discovered there was a 'gentleman's agreement' between the three big players for things like this.

The proliferation of the Steam deck, and with that, Dolphin, Yuzu and Ryujinx, is something I've a feeling might wake the beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Emudeck is a one-stop-shop for emulation on the steam deck, it'll install and configure the emulators for you and the 'steam rom manager' app does a reasonable job of getting artwork and creating collection etc. It's a bit fiddly at the start but doesn't take too long to get familiar with it.

No idea how Coinops can be added too, probably a pain in ass I'd imagine.

As for MS pulling the emulators, ya its annoying alright as it was pretty handy but surprised it ever worked in retail mode tbh. I'm sure MS & Nintendo have various strategic partnerships and other business bullshit that this easy of Nintendo emulation was probably an annoyance for them.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure Microsoft have a lot of emulation built into windows as well as emulation for windows on Mac so they would fight any attempts at legislation against emulation.

Edit: had a thought there that is could be to do with the Activision lawsuit that Sony might bring up emulation as part of it

I don't ever see a time when Nintendo brings MS to court. What I could see though is the Dolphin/Yuzu/Ryujinx teams being hit with DCMA's and the likes, and not having the deep deep pockets that Nintendo has to fight any challenge off.

Certainly in the case of Dolphin, it's a fully open source clean room software, absolutely gold standard stuff....but proving that in a court, would likely cost a lot of rupees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm not exactly what is going on, but CoinOps3 Legends on the 'Deck just stopped launching.

I didn't do nothing to it!

Anyone else having such random issues?

Edit: fixed it!

Removed from Steam and then opened the local files and put the CoinOps.sh back into Steam, then just renamed it and popped the icon back in, works fine now.

Not sure what happened.

As good as the Dolphin dev team are, I really didn't see any other conclusion other than the below to Dolphin being on Steam

It is with much disappointment that we have to announce that the Dolphin on Steam release has been indefinitely postponed. We were notified by Valve that Nintendo has issued a cease and desist citing the DMCA against Dolphin's Steam page, and have removed Dolphin from Steam until the matter is settled. We are currently investigating our options and will have a more in-depth response in the near future.

Source

I've said it before here, but Nintendo have upped their already DCMA-happy game this year. I know they've to protect their IP's, but I can see them pushing and pushing knowing they've enough coughers to shut down anything they don't like, regardless of whether it's infringement or not. The carry on of them with Youtube footage was bad enough, but an open-source clean room emulator being DCMA'd? Not liking the sound of that tbh, sounds more like an abuse of the DCMA system (unless there's something genuine to the request...but Dolphin is Dolphin, whether on Steam or not...so why would they only target the Steam release?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Maybe the idea of their IP playing on the steamdeck (at least directly from Steams UI) was the reason. Finger in the dam stuff.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Undoubtedly the widespread appeal of the Steamdeck, coupled with the ease of use of running and using Dolphin is the reason....my question is though, on what grounds can Nintendo invoke the DMCA system is the Dolphin emulator is completely open sourced, and uses a completely legal clean room reverse engineering approach to development? There's only two possibilities, 1) Dolphin isn't as clean as is claimed, and 2) Nintendo is abusing the DMCA system to protect its IP. Until shown otherwise, and given the nature of open sourced software, I'm inclined to consider option 2 here the most likely, in the absence of any further information.

Ok, it's not quite as simple as Nintendo = Corporate Bully in this case.

^^ TLDR - The Wii Common Decryption key is included in the Dolphin source code - bullseye for Nintendo. Surely the main Github repo is next?

The Dolphin team might have to navigate future development of Dolphin, in line with Yuzu and Ryujinx in so far as the keys are provided externally?

So it turns out to be No.1 - Turns out Dolphin wasn't as clean as was thought/claimed - they included the Wii common keys in their code;

Indeed, just embedded it above. However, I don't feel the inclusion of the Wii common key means automatically that Dolphin isn't clean room developed. The required code could have been dumped legitimately or any other myriad of ways (unclean room suggests the code was sourced via inside info, leaked files, or some other way whereby the team didn't resolve the correct code without Nintendo documentation etc etc). Granted, it absolves Nintendo of abusing the DMCA system, and the Dolphin team need to alter things so that the common key can be provided by the user instead. It's all very odd though, Dolphin has been around for a long, LONG, time...and Nintendo are only playing this card now?

• Advertisement

More focus as there was a push to get on the Steamdeck maybe? Indeed they could just ask the users to find/enter the code, maybe its a little too late for that now?

Advertisement