Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homework- yes or no?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep, in person assesment is the way forward.

ChatGPT will be outdated before the end of the year and the next gen chatbots will jidt fet better and better. And quickly.

Education needs to respond very quickly I would say.

Very young kids yes, but once they dicover the internet, its a new ballgame sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Because the child doesnt need to learn anything to complete the homework. They just dictate to a Chatbot and mindlessly copy the answer.

Agreed that if parents intercede and help with homework, this is the best way forward. But Im not sure parents can oversee every homework session.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think someone who produces amazing homework but performs badly in class and during in class exams will be pretty obvious. Ultimately what will it achieve for the the student?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dont think you understand what homework actually is at primary level or indeed some facets of secondary level.

"Insert AI Platform Name Here" isn't going to help kids with a lot of the skills and general things that homework teaches kids. Homework isn't all about getting the "right answer" at any age.

Early on, the basic writing and reading skills, as well as maths, languages, social sciences, project work, all through primary school are all very important things for kids to do and while AI platforms have "help" with some of these things as kids get older, so long as the key exams kids do don't involve access to the internet, it's a very silly game for kids to use AI for "homework".

Yes, it is difficult for parents to oversee or even help with homework for older kids however ChatGPT isn't going to "ruin" homework as an activity.

Generally speaking, the internet, used in the right way, is a great help with kids learning and in many cases should and is harnessed to assist with kids learning. I don't see AI as being any different.

Plenty of exams are just repeating block text.

I had people in my Bio degree able to ace written exams but struggle in any practical tests and reports

That's an entirely different topic. Academic vs practical application. Its got nothing to do with Homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Yep. If my 6 year old was able to use Chatgpt now she'd be well ahead (developmentally) of the other kids who are getting asked to add 8+2

😁

You literally mentioned in class (practical) vs exam situation

• Advertisement

Reguitating stuff from memory in an exam vs actually having to problem solve.

For me is different to having cut and past and not remember anything.

A good grade on their homework.

Im not saying its the right thing to do, but it is the easy thing to do.

We probably have to limit the scope of homework moving forward. Thats the reality

They won't get a good grade because it will be obvious to everyone its not their work.

But they will all be doing it, so nobody will get a good grade. Unless they use a bell curve :)

And we would only know it wasnt their work if they were asked to explain it as part of their assesment.

If they just submit an essay or a maths paper or a science review, nobody would be any the wiser (or at least the teacher couldnt prove it wasnt the students work)

As i say, presentational assessments will have to become the standard. Thats the only way to test understanding, along with in class exams or tests.

Not a bad thing in reality as it will build confidence and presentation skills etc.

But the days of traditional homework are gone as of this year I would say.

Human nature is a lot more predictable and identifiable then you think.

If you have students who struggle to get a pass in class but their homework is A+ level. You're going to notice.

And do what about it? If they all get As on their homework.

You cant put them all in detention.

Thats the problem. Everyone is doing it.

All I am saying is that homework as we know it will be phased out because any kid will have ready access to a Grade A, regardless of subject or their understanding of same.

You seem to think the only purpose of homework is the grade you get for it.

You seem to think there is value in getting a Computer to do the homework for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I don't understand the chat about chatgpt for homework. The point of homework (when I went to school) was to practice and learn. It counted little to nothing to my final grades. Is it different now?

If I used chatgpt now or copied somebody else's homework all year my final exams would show that result. So great, the people who cheat will get crappy grades, like it's always been.

I think you've illustrated that a computer can't understand something for you, if you are determined not to learn it. If thats the kids objective, good luck with that.

From reading the different research it depends. If you get quality appropriate homework it has value. If you don't it won't. So if you skip low quality inappropriate homework, it makes no difference to your education. So why do it. So why not have ChatGPT do it for you. However if you do get quality appropriate homework it can makes a difference. In which case you lose out by using ChatGPT.

Some peoples objective at school is to skip to the end and leave. Nothing beyond that.

If you consider places that have no homework and do better academically. You'll find there is a difference to their approach in the case room. Its not simple a matter of not doing homework and it making no difference. There are also scenarios where homework improves outcomes. They may also do other things differently.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That must be at least the tenth time you've made a post saying basically the same thing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Yeah, maybe you get it now.

But I can go to 11.

Practice makes perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The chatgpt point is nonsense. If you thought your child was cheating at their homework it would be easy to detect and even easier to prevent.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭shane b

For the future of homework im on the fence as I can see the benefits, but also the downsides as another poster mentioned.

From dealing with my now 10 year old, homework is good practice and help re-enforce the topics but it only works if the student is up to speed with classwork. My daughter had major issues with phonics and reading in general up until 3rd class in primary school. Homework that the teacher told us should be 15-20 minutes took hours and was very successful for all of us. Her reading skills have improved greatly so homework is not as big a deal now.

OP, I really like your idea of instead of homework, giving the children tasks. Something that child and parent could see benefits from. I wish other teachers would use that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭sekond

On the idea of giving tasks... during the covid school closures, one of my children was in 6th class. Her teacher gave a daily plan of work, loosely built around their own timetable. It wasn't compulsory to do like that, but was a handy structure for the day - particularly for those of us where both parents were also trying to work from home and mind younger siblings. About 2 weeks in she started adding tasks like "now go and make your mum/dad/granny a cup of tea", "is your bedside table tidy - if it isn't, tidy it", "go make your bed", "ask your mum/dad/granny for a job that will take you 10 minutes". (She also gave instructions on art projects how they might be adapted to include younger siblings)

I had really liked the teacher before then - after that I thought she was amazing. It showed a real understanding of the need to develop life skills, and the complications of life at that time. My daughter is still chief tea-maker when she's at home and I'm working.

I'd love it if homework included lifeskills stuff. I mean, I teach my kids those sort of things myself, but sometimes they are more likely to do things when teacher tells them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Caquas

The Irish Times has Jen Hogan debating primary school homework with a couple of academics. Jen is against homework because “play is children’s work” and the kids are exhausted after “ a long day at school” (don’t they finish at 2 pm?).

The academics are mealy-mouthed.

there is such a range of evidence, both positive and negative, that conceivably it would be possible to champion any opinion.

All that study to get their doctorates, and this pair discovered that their life’s work is wasted! Only joking, they have secure posts in our universities teaching the teachers that nothing can be proven so anything is possible.

An interesting cultural moment for Irish Times readers. Traditionally, education was the key to their offspring’s upward mobility, now they prefer to have fun with their kids and hope that “special accommodations” will get their kids on track for comfortable jobs.

Does homework have any benefits for primary school children? Jen Hogan and Dr Leah O’Toole discusshttps://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/09/19/does-homework-have-any-benefits-for-primary-school-children-jen-hogan-dr-leah-otoole-and-dr-joan-kiely-discuss/

Advertisement