Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Zabrodsky has gone off script somewhere in Donbas, deep behind enemy lines...there are rumours...

Kirby has been sent to... 'find' him.

Wagners ride of the valkyrie is blaring at high volume from a flight of Mi-8s...there is napalm...lots of napalm. A lovely smell in the morning to some.

Apocalypse Now 2, coming soon to a theatre of operations near you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, I think that one (SCMP) used to be somewhat okay, or not a total waste of time reading (Hong Kong based).

Now of course Xi/CCP have crushed any lingering freedom there and put remains of that "2 systems 1 country" idea in the bin. I see on wiki it is owned by Alibaba.

God help any of its writers and editors if they publish anything the party don't like!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

@correct horse battery staple

Putin and his generals don’t care how many Russians die

He must care a bit, if only because if he gets all his men killed, he won't be able to win this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Interesting all right, in the sense that we don't have Ukraine's input. And I'm pretty sure that statements like "Most people agree" that a settlement will have to be made IE: Let Putin keep is ill gotten gains. Is NOT how this saga will end. Another pro Putin anti Zelenski viewpoint. Ukrainians have the Russians well sussed out. Either they chase them out of Ukraine, and that means all of Ukraine, inc, Crimea or the Russian threat will never end.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'm not burying my head in the sand. I'm sure we're all well aware of what's happening, and what's happening is the same in all previous wars. No better, no worse. I don't want to cover up or suppress any information, far from it.

I don't think that boards.ie is a place to link snuff videos, to watch videos of soldiers from either side getting maimed and killed. I'm sure you'd agree that we don't post videos of rape and torture, even though that is also a common occurrence?

Are we that desensitized that we're promoting graphic videos of some Russian sod getting killed?

Surely this is against the charter:

Do not post any material that you know or should know is hateful, abusive, harassing, false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, vulgar, obscene, profane, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This very war is vulgar, obscene and profane, yet the thread is running to thousands of pages. Point being that in a thread about horrible and bloody war, I don't think it's unreasonable in principal to proffer this kind of footage, especially where the reader is not being forced to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

I completely agree with this sentiment, I've followed this thread from the beginning and I appreciate the input from everyone and appreciate that people use links to reinforce their point of view.

I have just noticed that over the past few weeks we've gotten more link dumps of what amounts to little more than snuff videos. There should be a minimum level of decency and civility to posting. The war is horrible and bloody, but we don't need to revel in it.

From your original post

"Gif of footage from Ukrainian grenade drop on a group of sleeping Russian soldiers. Obviously there's some gore, so don't watch if squeamish."

What has this added to the discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭dasdog

And that's what the denazification and liberation of Ukraine looks like. It's quite sad really.

It tells us that war can be a horrible and random thing where chaos can erupt out of calm. One second you're here and the next you're not. There's no sentimental music and here's no poignant last words. Only some of the sleeping never wake up. Those who do wake up are subjected to mad shock and panic like most of us hope never to experience, and it can happen to soldiers in the field at virtually any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭pjordan

Shades of Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator - and that was comedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Graphic war coverage started with WW1 and has been part of every conflict since. You could take the view that the proliferation of such videos of the reality of war will actually hasten it's conclusion. Let's just hope that these videos are seeping back to the Russian citizenry who have supported the barbarous nature of their invasion of a neighbour. The more videos like this and the more body bags going back, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

If the point was showing the atrocities of the war then there would be more videos of Russians killing Ukrainians.

Beverly Hills, California

Atrocities of war are more than death. Again, would people be up for watching videos of rape and torture? I'm sure it wouldn't take long to find them. Are these links meant to be educational? How many videos are needed to drive home man's inhumanity to man?

I'm not going to labour the point, if people and mods are happy then I won't bring it up.

I agree with you but there was a disclaimer. I think anyone over the age of 18 who wants to watch these kind of videos can do so if they want. I think as long as there's a warning with the link it should be allowed to be shared.

I don't think the people sharing these videos are doing so to share the attrocities of war as the content is mainly Russians being killed, so it's definitely blood lust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Meh,maybe those russians back home thinking of volunteering will watch these videos and think twice,

I didn't know we had Russian soliders accessing this forum from the trenches but it's good of us to share these videos with them.

I'm not arguing against these links being posted here, but lets not pretend they're being shared out of the goodness of our own hearts to highlight the bad in this war and just admit it for what it is. They're being shared because some people like watching them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

This person is happy with how that video was posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

Most people don't have a visceral sense of what war is like, their only exposure is through films and news articles, most never even read a book written by a front line soldier describing the true horror. It's those people who support their governments (or side) when such horror is unleashed.

I honestly believe that western media don't show enough of the true horrors of war, leading to things like the gung-ho attitude of many towards for example Iraq in 2003.

It's interesting that it's people who have a deeper undersanding* of what war is really like are the ones who are the most anti-war.

*of course to truly understand it you have to have experienced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

I don't usually revel in death, but nice to see this fella taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The worst part about Bakhmut for the Russians is they've already taken about 65% of the city but Ukraine hold onto the most built up areas which are hardest to take.

They'd rather pull out but that would be a killer for morale. So do they try and stall or push on to eventually take the rest but with massive losses and a destroyed city.

If they reduce their presence there and Ukraine starts taking back parts of the city it could put them in serious bother. I don't think back in January anybody thought this city would still be standing come April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭maebee

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

You would be picked up on the Shannon and Dublin S-Band PSR's after a certain height, but I get the sentiments of your argument... there is some PSR coverage from airport radars in Ireland, but no long range capability...

Radar feed sharing goes both ways too... IAA feeds go to other operators too

The thought of this thread being some sort of Irish frontline in Russia's state sponsored cyber war sounds exciting but I doubt it. That's something that started here and grew legs as quickly as the lads losing them in the real war.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

18 German lepoard 2 delivered to ukraine,

One full battilion as promised,

Just in time along with some of the other armoured vehicles already already in training programs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Every thread on here over the last 10 + years involving anything to do with Russia is proof of that ,so many people posting about how much they adored putin and the loved the way putin was putting it to the west,and at the same time telling us how much the EU and Nato were full of corruption, ukraine was full of far right neo Nazi's,

• Advertisement

Speaking of Orcs getting their well deserved dues... remember that video where call sign 'Predator' was very busy firing RPGs and then downed an Orc rushing his trench? well here he is, getting recognition from the boss, Zeluzhniy. He was awarded The Golden cross and given a nicer weapon.

Zaluzhny awarded a soldier of the brigade named after Sirka, who repelled the attack of overwhelming enemy forces

"I had the honor to award the senior soldier of the 92nd separate mechanized brigade named after Ivan Sirk, Ruslan Zubarev, with the Golden Cross medal of honor and to present him with the well-deserved award weapon," said Zaluzhny

The Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces emphasized that the young senior soldier repelled the attack of overwhelming enemy forces, and also showed bravery and courage in battle

"I am grateful to everyone who defends the Motherland from the occupier. Glory to all defenders of Ukraine!" - added Zaluzhny

Of course some would have called it a gratuitous snuff movie. I wouldn't.

There is a nice subtext. Apparently he mentioned being legally too young to buy and own an AR-15, so a friend in high places sorted that.

Post edited by cnocbui on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement