Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

One other possibility would be Munster getting no points at all in South Africa in the last two games. Unlikely but not impossible, two tough games for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Shane Jennings putting the hand up well over two appearances so far and forde developing nicely. Carty Aki Farrel still the 10/12/13 for me for the knock out games but great to see the depth coming through. Daly had his best game for us I think over the last 12 months coming on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Delighted for the team - the humiliation in Edinburgh last year has finally been exorcised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Ulster deny Bulls an lbp at the death so Connacht finish the round in 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

0 match points for bulls up in belfast.

We enter the last 2 match weekends in 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭testtech05

As things stand and I know it's a big if but would 6th place also get us a champions cup place for next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

results could not have gone better. burns and carbury are not great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

John Cooney still delivering for Connacht and slots penalty to deny Bulls bonus point round off excellent day of results.

Don’t think it has been mentioned yet that if Glasgow win their next game which is at home against Scarlets they will guarantee themselves a home quarter final. In that scenario, would have to imagine they would rest a few or maybe even a lot against Connacht.

Probably the best week Connacht have had in a couple of years, a landmark signing, a big home win with young indigenous talent coming through and results going our way to offer a very realistic pathway to Champions cup qualification next season and playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

I believe 7th would be enough. As it stands the only team outside the top 8 that are guaranteed a champions cup spot is the top Welsh side, currently Cardiff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

As things stand 7th would get Connacht a champions cup place.

8 from the URC qualify. Its going to be the top 7 and the top Welsh team (Cardiff in 10th atm).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Some weekend for Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Realistically, yes. In theory if URC teams who finish behind Connacht win both European competitions, you'd miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

All computations aside that simply was as good a performance as I have seen in years. Kudos to the team. It really was a fantastic performance 1-23

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think Connacht might have to win their last two games to make it. I can see both the Bulls and Sharks winning their last two games. Leinster will probably send the reserves to South Africa. Granted they are still pretty good. Winning away to Glasgow will be very tough but possibility they might not send out their front liners for the final game. Either way have top beat Cardiff at home first. Hopefully with a BP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Given the start to the season to be going into the last 2 games with a mathematical chance of a home quarter final 10 points behind Glasgow although with a massively inferior points difference, (mathematical not realistic), is a serious achievement. Would anyone have thought that was possible.

Also it's a good sign for the URC to have the mid table looking so competitive. Should be something on the line in most of the games in the last 2 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Thought Friends post match interview was pretty telling. Mentioned the international players coming back this week, “have to add value” think that is a challenge to Bundee in particular.

Also mentioned that TOH and Bolton were both down to start but pulled out injured during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Hawkshaw has a very encouraging performance at 10, his kicking out of the hand was superb. Special mention for Jack Aungier who I thought was excellent again, his handling is top notch and his discipline is much improved. Forde and Farrell now look like quite a cohesive partnership, it's incredible how quickly Cathal has established himself. A superb cameo from Shane Jennings, hardworking, ambitious and brave in that incredible strip/kick-chase/turnover sequence, augurs well, would like to see him with more ball in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Jennings should start next week to wrap into cotton wool overplayed Porch for the 2 crucial games vs Cardiff and Glasg "A"

Same for Murphy or SHL for Prendergast and Daly for Farrell. Maybe Murray too.

Aki, Buckley, Heff, Hansen, Boyle, Carty, Dowling, TOH are just back so could all play and make us still competitive this WE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I don't think any front line players should be rested from here until the end of both competitions whenever that maybe. We have a chance against Benetton so should go for it in my opinion. They have all had good rest periods recently. I know Prendergast took a battering Saturday but he is quality and needs to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

It's not about Benetton hopes (already very thin in Italy) but afterward draw

All-away games to expect because we scre*** in Newcastle. Basically no chance for the trophy/euro qualification that route

When now, with this week-end results, we have around 50% chance to finish 7th, in Champions Cup, but we have to be the most full-strenght possible for the duo of games that matters, Cardiff and Glasgow. It means resting Farrell Porch and Prendy IMO. No more, we could line a good 23 up this way still

• Advertisement

Would a potential quarter final not be at home? With the semi being away?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

I agree. Now Italy is too worm for Irish. At last week-end All Cadif players looked very tired after only 3point margin won to Zebre. I hope that Connacht will use young players including academy lads like M.Devine if he is healthy. I think that Connacht will have some chance to win Glasgow by keeping current momemtum. Especially they did deffend well in 13 men deffending situation and 6 v 8 scrum time.That hooking was excelent. I felt player's strong will for the victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Muldoon return confirmed. Looking after the lineout and maul.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Muldoon returning is a fantastic vote of confidence in Connacht and Wilkins.

Actually think the timing of these announcements and the results on the field and setting Connacht up for something special over the next few weeks.

Still expecting a couple more signings and two more coaches. Keeping momentum on and off The field going..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

In terms of Challenge Cup, they're in decent form so anything is possible.

I mean its unlikely that they'll win it, but they definitely should be putting out the strongest possible team against Bennetton.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

WHY? THere is a huge injury risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Against the grain somewhat but I think Connacht should give the challenge cup a rattle, better to try win something worthwhile this year than concentrating on qualifying for something next year that will probably go no further than a last 16 appearance or maybe a quarter final. It seems to me that Connacht could win the challenge cup this year, few Irish lads coming back will have their dander up and it could give the squad the little boost they need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

This is where the madness of everything about that Newcastle game continues to bite us.

I'm all for taking the Challenge Cup seriously but rather than a very winnable home game in front of a big crowd whereby we could probably win with plenty of rotation we will need to go strong to win in Italy and even going strong it mightnt be enough.

Cardiff is undoubtedly the primary target. Even being optimistic, semi final is the maximum we can get to in the challenge cup whereas we beat Cardiff we at least get a play off game and Top 7 would look realistic also.

Certain players are out anyway so Hawkshaw can maybe continue at 10 to get some rhythm. Use marmion while still here. We can rotate a bit at hooker and in the back row and still be competitive hopefully

Advertisement