Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If Ross Byrne gets through the Champions Cup game(s) unscathed then I'd absolutely send Harry and Frawley to South Africa.

Leinster are currently 1/16 to beat Ulster and I'd be surprised if Leicester would be given much more of a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Possibly.

But we're already unsure of the fitness status of Ringrose and Osborne. Personally I think Garry will be ok.

However it's not outside the realm of possibility that we see all of Frawley and the Byrnes play this weekend

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ok. We'll find out in a couple weeks, but Harry or Frawley are definitely travelling unless Ross gets injured and I suspect it will be Harry (or both potentially).

We are not sending a squad with a 19 and 20 year old flyhalf to play two matches in South Africa. It would be lunacy. And it would condemn the rest of the squad as well, removing much of the development possibilities.

I'd say they might send Frawley down to let him build some gametime.

I think your squad looks realistic, but it really highlights to me how light we are in the second row now. Deeny and Molony are relatively lightweight, and Soroka and Mangan (uncapped) both really look like blindsides to me.

Losing Jack Dunne and Josh Murphy (plus big Dev) has hit us hard there, with Charlie Ryan's retirement exacerbating things. Ideally they won't want to send Ross Molony down there either, given Ryan and Jenkins are our only other recognised second rows, with Joe McCarthy injured and Baird predominantly considered a 6 by Leinster now.

• Advertisement

It's something we will definitely need to address. Because I full agree with you about Mangan and Soroka and by extension Baird. I think all of these players would play their best rugby at 6 - certainly for Leinster.

We nearly take for granted how quick Joe Mc developed and the role that he fills in our squad.

I think we need a Mick Kearney like player in the squad IMO. There for the hard yards and pushing while the internationals are away.

Because having two players who are essentially playing their first games in professional rugby in one of the most pivotal positions away to South African "Super Rugby" sides is just setting them up for massive failure? And its far from clear that Prendergast at least is remotely physically ready, having never played a second of senior rugby?

It would destroy any chance for useful development for the rest of the squad, would be questionable from a player welfare point of view and it would fly in the face of every selection that Cullen has ever done. Neither Harry Byrne or Frawley have enough gametime at 10 to be sitting on their asses anyway.

Tector will travel, and I would be a fan of bringing Prendergast also. But there is not way they are going as the first and second choice 10s.

Yeah, I agree. It really is a shame Jack Dunne left as I thought he looked good at the end of last season, and he would have gotten a good amount of gametime this year.

As I mentioned above, I wouldn't be surprised to see both travel, but Frawley potentially to start both games at 10. It's too risky to send Harry Byrne down when RB is the only other fit senior out half, and it doesn't matter if we lose down there.

Fair points.

It certainly would go against most of the selection policies that have been in place with debutants normally deputising more experienced players against the Zebres and the Dragons

But this tour is not usual business. Last season Leinster clearly saw this as a development opportunity. They even sent half their coaching staff and their more experienced players home in the second week to focus on the first team despite going up against the Stormers who were laden with RWC winners and experienced players.

There is a possibility they'll look to do this again perhaps with an experience 10 playing the first fixture only.

But I just worry for Harry and Frawley. Neither of them have shown a good injury profile and both are players we can't really do without in the big games coming up

Both are players who need to actually play some games also. That's Harry's biggest problem at the moment and I still see him as most likely to start at 10 on that mini tour. He needs gametime and more experience at 10.

Maybe they do choose to just throw it all (I doubt it, but maybe). But there won't be much development done for the squad if they are relying solely on Tector and Prendergast as the 10s. The squad is going to be callow, just not that far. I do hope both players travel though.

We will, of course, also have a much better idea of Sexton's status before the tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Looks like Sexton has played his last ever game for Leinster....

Hopefully he is ok for the World Cup....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The one thing more than anything that Harry Byrne and Ciaran Frawley need right now is a run of games and minutes on the pitch and Leinster can't be picky. Harry only has five starts to his name this year and Frawley four. Holding them back and reducing their game time benefits nobody. Outside of a Ross injury, I can't see how we don't send them both down to South Africa for some minutes (perhaps starting one game and on the bench for the other).

The Sexton news is very shítty news but to be fair, outside of maybe a Heineken Cup Final appearance (should we get there), I would have said Ross would be starting most if not all games for us the rest of this season (where available). Sexton was getting wrapped in cotton wool by the IRFU one way or the other. I more feel bad for him that he might not get the send off he deserves from the supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Not a huge shock about Sexton and tbh if it gives us a preview of life without him next year, it's not all bad.

I'm disappointed for him more than us. Getting a fifth winner's medal would be some finish to his club career.

Reading that article, I wonder if it wasn't a world cup year would he be finishing out the season.

Antonio landed on his groin in the France game which is the reason given for why he missed Italy. I wonder did he carry the injury through the remainder of the six nations, was minded for Italy and played the last two games with the intention that he'd get the injury looked at after. He seemed fine coming off against England.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I saw footage of him walking into a function after the England game and he was very clearing limping so he definitely wasn't right after that game.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would say he looked anything but fine walking off in the England game. He looked very sore and by his own admission was drilling for information about how much time he could potentially miss. I think he knew himself how bad it was.

It will be a real pity if he misses out on the European Final should we get there. Definitely would have been a fitting to finish his Leinster career there.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I reckon Sexton will play out next season with Leinster, if he comes through the WC fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Looks like Leinster vs Ulster is heading towards a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wonder if his knee might be banged up? I thought the hit Curry put on his leg had potential for serious injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I am inclined to agree with you. He was always going to be very tightly managed after the 6N and right through to RWC, even if he was fully fit.

From a Leinster perspective I think it provides them and Ross Byrne a great opportunity to transition to what will be Leinster after Johnny. They're in strong positions in both competitions. More significantly, it frees Ross Byrne to actually be himself. I think he will benefit massively. He has the opportunity to bring Leinster all the way to a double!

Honestly at this point I want them to fast track Prendergast so the complete **** storm that will be Crowley v Prendergast can kick off.

I am going to milk that dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ulster pummelling Leinster for 30 minutes at the RDS back in December still lingers in my mind. They have the capacity to really do some damage to us. I do think that the majority of our players have stepped up a level since then and that they'll be ready for this weekend.

Really it comes down to how we start the game. If we show little to no Six Nations hangover in the opening 20 minutes I think we'll be fine. Just need to avoid giving Ulster easy entries into our 22 and limiting penalties conceded. Don't want their maul to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I wouldn't worry too much based on the December game. We were rattled by the red card and conceded three tries in the next 15 minutes. But the manner in which we regrouped and turned the game from that point is more pertinent to my mind.

We had the Ulster scrum on wheels in that opening period which is why I'd like us to go as strong up front as possible for this one particularly with Moore absent for them.

The 23 they sent to Dublin will be largely very similar to what they'll send this weekend with a few changes between the bench and starting side (Vermeulen, Stockdale and TOT were on the bench) so we should largely know what's coming. I'd be happy to ditch any pretty rugby and look to try nd take Ulster on at their own game where they're so good i.e. the maul.

If all the RTTP players are absent, I'd like us to go with JOB, Larmour, Henshaw, Frawley, Lowe, Byrne, JGP, Conan, VDF, Baird, Ryan, Jenkins, Furlong, Sheehan and Healy with a bench of McKee, Porter, Ala'alatoa, Molony, Penny, McGrath, Byrne and Kearney

Would be a decent boost to just get one of Keenan or Ringrose back to allow us rejig things a bit and give us some additional defensive solidity. I'd be fairly hopeful on one of them given they were both training yesterday (Ringrose looking fairly involved by photos) but no sign of Doris.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭forzawexford10

I know hindsight is 20/20. But after Herrings try I thought Ireland should of got Sexton off.

Same as in the Scotland game once it got past 65 mins and Ireland were in control on the scoreboard get Johnny wrapped in cotton wool

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Anyone know if it’s possible to watch the game at the weekend from Australia?

Epcr TV should work for Australia. You can just buy a pass for the game

https://epcrugby.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's crazy the way Ulster fell off a cliff after that match v Leinster. They're back onside now and are going well. I think it will be a close affair. They also have continuity and I think a low disruption.

I don't expect Ringrose or Keenan. I thought Ngati would be back. So if not, Frawley will start. On Ngati, it's not his fault he's injured but it's crap timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Be aware that you can't pause, rewind or play from the start if you turn on late. It's just a live stream. They advertise that you can replay the game a few hours after it's over but the option never became available for the match I bought in December.

Advertisement