Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

If it's a Dominion War series I doubt any of the old cast will reprise their roles, it's been 25 years. They've all aged a lot and long scenes of deaging always looks off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You just said two things it 100% wouldn't be. I'd put money on that. Were the idea to be gestate, I'd "guarantee" it being set during the Dominion War, set onboard a "tip of the spear" warship in the Federation and basically, like everything else nuTrek more directly headed by Kurtzman, be pridefully disinterested in the actual themes of Trek.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

How on earth did you reach that conclusion ("Sound more Discovery-esque than SNW-esque") from that brief article?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes but if its set after it they could. It could be set 20 years after it for all we know or 5 years after it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭McFly85

Why do they continually feel the need to go back to things we already know? What’s worse, it will end up shoving more ridiculous continuity into that period.

I get that nostalgia is an easy hook for execs to sell a show on to existing fans, but genuinely the easiest way to sell to Trek fans is with a new ship and crew post Voyager.

• Advertisement

But it's set during the Dominion War isn't it?

Recent Trek has made me an optimist on it's future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh yeah, the upswing in quality has been marked undoubtedly; but exploring the Dominion Wars of all things, with this current tonal and thematic umbrella that still remains, just feels too at risk of being exactly what I mentioned.

And sure, a show specifically about a Federation Warship might be interesting, but as with most things it'd all be in the execution: and there, again, I'd be cautious. Discovery loved talking about how fluffy the Federation was, tears flowing n' all, but before I bailed I never once saw the show actually manifest that with any action.

Was going to say anyway that I suspect this Dominion War rumour is again a case of something pulled from a big bag of ideas in the Production Team's office. Ideas that may not have leg, but just spitballs to workshop new shows and concepts behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Leave the Wars to Star Wars and let's keep Trekking to new worlds and new civilisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Just another space-wars franchise at this stage. Dark and moody and full of peril.

To seek out new battles and new enemies. To boldly fight where no-one has fought before.

I'm enjoying Picard season 3 but if anything it also feels like another nail in the coffin of the optimistic-future. I don't think we'll be getting that back and it makes me sad, but at least Picard (and SNW and LD) are entertaining. And we'll always have re-runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,536 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The article says it's after, rather than during;

"it will focus on the war’s aftermath and how it impacts the Alpha Quadrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Tsk. What d'you wanna go and do that for, reading actual articles! Can we not just jump to conclusions based on headlines and maybe the first line of an article?!

Ms

So here is a little TMI about the Klingons that you never wanted to know so I will just spoiler it,

Star Trek Confirms The Craziest Theory About Klingon Sex?

Star Trek: Discovery has confirmed that Klingon males do have two penises.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I skimmed and i missed it. Articles like that have far too much waffle.

Ms

They shoukd really call it "Star Trek- The Dominion War The Aftermath"

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

A Band of Brothers or Ken Burns' Vietnam War style framing for a Diminion War series could work really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

(Slow violin music plays)

»My darling Joisifine. The enemy fights us relentlessly on every front. I fear the Bolian Operation may fail if my Adjunct doesn’t stop worrying about his previous command. But each victory brings promise of coming home to you»

Always yours,

Admiral William J. Ross

(music stops)

Ken Burns: By March of 2372 the Federation forces were entrenched around Tellar…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's very impressive, there's obviously some more editing that needs doing but it really brings the concept of Wolf 359 together. I found myself on the JTVFX Youtube channel after watching that video you posted....good lord there's some talented people out there. I can usually take or leave CG Star Trek ships, but the work these people are doing is a little bit special.

Could someone please explain what "memberberries" means? I thought it was some derogatory term for people trying to uphold Gene Rodenberrys Star Trek ideologies, but it appears it's just nostalgia nerds?

• Advertisement

I don't know all the specifics of its origin but the term is from South Park; it refers to empty Nostalgia nods that do nothing except give a little buzz. So like a little berry: a hit of sugar, no calories. Think then all those stupid callbacks or references you'll see that serve no purpose except to go "here's the thing, please clap".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think the Memberberries were South Park’s wry stab at the increasing amount of older franchises being continued for the sake of Nostaligia. In South Park the Berries themselves spoke and would bring up the various things the person would remember with a sickly voice: «‘member Star Wars? ‘Member Chewbacca? ‘Member that? Yes! I ‘member!»

I think they took digs at Sequel Star Wars in particular. As the episode continued the Memberberries would start to turn and begin to spout MAGA-esque themes: «‘member Regan? ‘Member when there weren't so many Mexicans?» Finally turning murderous…because it’s South Park :P

When we use it now it’s kind of as Pixel described. It’s more a dig at a production who lean on nostalgia for nostalgia’s sake rather than adding to the plot. The most recent Picard episode almost falls into this, but they do at least fold those elements into the plot of the episode, so I’m inclined to not be bothered.

The term has been pulled out to deride whenever Discovery would lean on an established Trek element. In Discovery you can’t help but wonder if they are invoking Memberberries in order to anchor themselves in a franchise where they often seemed like the weakest link but also feels like a direct reaction to fan complaints that the show subvents established cannon.

I see,

You can understand why I thought it was some sort of reference to Gene though.

Ha, never thought of it that way but yeah, I can see the leap.

Honestly I kinda avoided using "memberberries" for the longest time cos it seemed glib and reductive to shoot down anything even passingly nostalgic. Nods were fine so long as the stories were still good. Stranger Things season 1 was, beyond the nostalgia, a very good show. The inspirations were a jumping off point, not the point of it.

But by all accounts with pop culture of late it seems a fair term to throw out now. Between Star Wars frozen in fan service; or Disney in general making nothing but "legacy sequels", Trek too on occasion, productions seem to start with the memberberries and work backwards.

Ms

I was the same. Thank you for asking the question and getting some answers and thank you do does it answered the question.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So with Picard Season 3 finishing in April, has anyone heard any rumour on what show out of Prodigy/Lower Decks/Strange New Worlds might be premiering in May/June?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

No announcements yet but

As for when this “soon” announcement is coming, April 5th is First Contact Day, which seems a good time to reveal plans for Trek’s future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looks like we have announcements 🙂

Strange new worlds renewed for S3 and S2 to premiere June 15th. Lower decks renewed for S5. Prodigy season 2 in the winter.

@Stark

• 'Star Trek: Prodigy' Season 2 will debut this winter
    • Season 2 of “Strange New Worlds” and Season 4 of “Lower Decks” will both debut this summer. “Strange New Worlds” Season 2 will premiere on June 15 on Paramount+
    • “Star Trek: Discovery,” will end with its fifth season in 2024.
    • There have been rumors that spinoffs built around characters in “Picard” could also be in the works. Paramount has also been developing a Starfleet Academy series for some time, along with a series about the mysterious Section 31

• Advertisement

Looks like in the time it took me to pullout bullet points. You got around to posting before me @Stark

Advertisement