Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Haven't seen Bannered Mare, but big fan of them. Those lads were in Ka Tet and Race the Flux (and likely more bands too) who I saw a good few times, always good fun and really good songs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Mucker46

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah looking forward to Robert tonight alright. No band, just himself and his son, seems to be playing a nice mix of solo stuff and Go Betweens. Last time I saw him in the Button Factory was the most unashamedly middle aged bloke audience I've ever been part of. A sea of bald heads. That's what we've come to, hunted out of Electric Arenas by the likes of Melvin, cowering together for warmth and solace at old people gigs in tiny venues. They won't break us. It's like the hedge schools. We'll emerge blinking into the Dublin night this evening, congregating in small knots for a scoop in the Stags head, plotting our next move. Up yours, Melvin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 conor_bass_player

I think Inhaler will be a sure for Line-up. Even though they are playing Sea-Sessions and Indiependence this year. They have no show lined up that weekend, Playing Reading & Leeds the weekend before. Album came out this year too. I think they are an easy pick. Very good band live and solid discog.

On another note, I would love if Foals got announced. They were on the 2020 cancelled EP bill so hopefully we get them this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why is is still raining, and no acts to mull over, doesn't the organisers realise we need acts to get excited about to get through this sh1t weather.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Here's hoping we won't be watching them in sh1t weather, whoever they are.

Any news here, discussions going on all the the time for European festivals but not here, why is thread so dead.

With no announcements nothing to talk about. Think we are rumoured out

• Subscribers Posts: 41,616 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nothing offered from FR in 16 weeks is going to do that......

EP has become a lot less about the actual music and now is just a weekend event at the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

And given that all the other august festivals have announced a good % of their line ups it means speculation is muted as it’s obvious who is playing EP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Chemical bros and picture this are off the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Christine and the Queens also off radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I respectfully disagree. The music is always the thing for me and a good 35-40 acts caught last year. Similar for most other posters here. Most importantly it’s the main gig of the year for a lot of varied Irish artists.

Where it disappointed in 2022 compared to previous years was the lack of depth in the afternoon. Hopefully rectified this year. For me the 2023 headliners are poor but I’ve already got three essential acts to see and I’ll expect a dozen more. If not then I’ll not be going and it’ll no longer be a significant part of my yearly calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

EP's pre-pandemic legacy is imo simply the best music festival ever in Ireland. No other festival has had the breadth and sustained quality of performances over the years. Not Oxegen, Witness nor Feile.

For EP to abandon this legacy would be shyte.

The bookers/festival owner who made that legacy have left, so changes are going to naturally occur.

External and internal forces means it’s not the EP of old.

homogeneity of summer festivals (summer festivals across europe were a different beast when EP started, sure EP being labelled as “boutique” was a novelty to the wider industry)

capacity increasing to 70k means it needs to deliver superstar acts.

Is there a precise year when the understanding is the booking policy changed?

I’d personally say 2018 saw the biggest shift

2013 was the last year with pod being involved

Pod/Reynolds sold 71% of the festival in 2009 and were bought off completely five years later after half a decade of little influence on the lineup. It’s not been their festival for 14 years and throughout that we’ve had most of the ethos kept.

Big headliners are required for a 70k crowd but we had two major indie acts top of the bill last year. I don’t greatly care who headlines and am content for money to be spent on bland popular musicians as long as the bookers balance that with a decent mix of eclectic and musically adventurous acts.

They’ve never failed to do that. And there’s no excuse for not continuing to do that.

I think you’re very accurate on the 2018 change, that was very noticeable.

However Pod had less and less say after 2009, they were consistently overridden by FR and by 2013 their influence was pretty insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Yeah, i probably started giving out about the line up around 2011/12!😄

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement

2011 was the first one I missed! Didnt go back until 2014.

Nah POD were deeply involved in booking the undercard up to including 2013. Headline acts were major contentious issue in last year or two years of POD co ownership as detailed in lawsuit https://entertainment.ie/amp/music/electric-picnic-owners-in-high-court-battle-over-festivals-future-270195/

Jim King back in 2010 must've spent a fortune booking some of these acts, it was him apparently who talked Leftfield coming out of retirement and RockNess was the first event they played since about 2002 I think. I only ever made it to the 2010 one as I was studying in Edinburgh at the time and bought an early bird ticket for the princely sum of 105 sterling. When I found out I passed all the exams they went and announced Aphex Twin which blew me away as I was the first time getting to see him live. Unfortunately RockNess never ever sold out as it was in heavy competition against T in the Park and the likes of Wickerman (Scotland's answer at the time for Body & Soul). The festival went bust about 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭endainoz

2018 really saw an increase in "worst lineup ever" commenters, mostly from people who never attended in the first place. It's hard to believe how many years it's been going for in fairness. Longest running "big" (like more than 30k) festival the country has ever had. With the big corporate backing I don't see it going anywhere.

Edit: Just realized next year with be the 20th anniversary of the festival! That's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, probably 2018 saw the sharpest intake of breath at the announcement but personally, I had an absolutely brilliant 2018. The slide from there to last year is at least as sharp as that from say 2012 to 2018.

Edit: I mean that's primarily down to the massive hole left by Body and Soul and OV not being there ladt year. Look at all the lovely stuff in those last 2 sections on the 2018 poster. The non announcements for Body and Soul etc last year were such a massive kick in the balls.

Not true. Reynolds complained of being undermined on acts throughout the lineup from the very beginning, headliners and undercard, culminating in The expensive Killers booking in 2012.

The 2014 court documents detailed consistent fallouts over acts that he wanted that weren’t booked plus acts being booked that he didn’t want. Personally I preferred POD doing the booking but what could they have expected when they were the vastly junior partner from 2009?

And I may be wrong @Dreamweapon but taking a look back at those years you’d have pretty impressive acts to see all day long on each day.

The early lineups were comparable to the early Primavera Sound one and those days were pure pleasure. However there’s nothing to prevent EP continuing along the Glasto course it’s taken where they combine the indie and eclectic stuff with the poppier acts.

For all the faults of 2022 (great allowances also made for continuing Covid fallout) I still got to see some of the best performances of the year, a few excellent young emerging bands, a couple of legendary acts and two decent indie headlines. I expect better this year and all will be clearer in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I just had a look back and you are correct. I saw a ton of decent acts both years. Can't believe i missed Killing Joke in 2011!!!! Did they actually play? Must of been on the same time as one of Mogwai/Chemical Brothers/Death In Vegas!

I think you're being very generous to 2022. I had a great time, but musically i was left wanting. A lot.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

I remember Killing Joke being booked but I don’t think they played. Happy to be corrected.

And you’re right re 2022. I saw lots of great stuff, but there were several occasions on which I couldn’t find an act of interest on any of the stages. That’s never happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,616 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

2022 was the first year I went where there was no "unmissables" on my wish list. Those that I wanted to see id either seen before or were only for curiosity. The lack of a legacy act a la Duran Duran, human league etc was glaring.

While I had an enjoyable weekend just wandering with no real plan, it's something I'd envisage would turn me off it in further. Only I live so close I really wouldn't have bothered again today year. But another year like last year and it certainly would be me taking a break. A lot from my group that goes have already chosen not to go back again this year.

Forest fest just looks like such a better line up for what it actually is

Advertisement