Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

OK, hopefully 8 weeks from time of injury which I'd guess was at least 3 weeks ago. Might be back for the group stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Great to see Darren, Eoghan and Aiden (Orme) listed on the panel for today along with Michael, Robbie and Frank returning on the first 15. Positive signs.

https://twitter.com/MayoGAA/status/1639939416297811969

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Lots of changes, but "key irreplaceable" players remain like O Donoghue, O Shea ,Ruane and Flynn and are being put a risk in a pointless game imo.

Was hoping to see Carney, McLaughlin,Mchale ,Towey .Orme get the start today as they need minutes in their legs.

Maybe its a dummy team and we see some late changes before throw -in.

Presume Tommy is rested for the final, then ready for an impact role against the Ross when they inevitably tire in the 2nd half..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

You get as many injuries in behind closed door games and training as you do in matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Mclaughlin and McHale are injured. I don't know for sure but I think Orme is too.

You don't know what other injuries are going on behind the scenes that we don't know about

Probably going to be the most important page for the day. An Zón Rua from @GaaLeagueTables will ease the pain of trying to count score differences when you run out of those fingers and toes.

Wow,surprised at that,especially Eoghan,great news!

Hence my post , why are we risking playing players that we cannot replace.

• Advertisement

Towey in for Ryan.

Common sense .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Worrying that Conroy isn’t in squad

I see a number 27 warming up but not named

think it might be fionn mcd

Tuohy and Towey the standout players so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Monaghan needed that result more and obviously showed up with a mindset for the occasion. A big difference to some of their earlier displays. It looks like not too many hands were put up by fringe players based on the result but at least Towey kept the scoreboard ticking over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

So is Reape the number 1 for championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You must have been watching a different match to me.

Touhy got bullied at midfield, he's too young for there just yet and I thought Towey showed why he hasn't been picked by successive managers. He took the ball into contact repeatedly and lost it, almost everytime he got the ball. Kicked one relatively easy kick wide just before he was taken off. Nice club footballer but I don't see enough from him to think he'll make it as a senior county footballer

• Advertisement

Hennelly looked rusty alright. Reape has really stepped up, it's his to lose from what I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Some match ahead now next week, it'll be impossible to call, but would be fantastic to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Has the date and time for the League final been fixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

This day week at 4i believe dub Derry at 2 before hand

Should be a decent final.

Sort of worrying that Conroy was nowhere to be seen today. What's the story there? I thought he might have gotten significant game time today since he hasn't really played a ton of football this year.

O'Hora seemed off the pace? He might struggle to get a starting place? Though he has been out for a while now too.

• Advertisement

I should have said I thought Touhy played well but I think at this stage he's a wing forward, when he fills out he looks like he'll be a great midfield option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'm not sure playing a forward at 6 is working great - we coughed up a lot of goal chances today; I'd like to see Coen there and have him holding the centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

It would be my main concern. I think we could be open down the middle again.

What we wouldn't give for Oisín Mullin to be our 6

Yeah, himself or Leeroy in there would make us a lot more solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Any idea if it's possible to watch the full match back? Had a family event yesterday.

Delighted in a way to get Galway in the final. They seem to be timing things nicely on their side and it's going to be a proper final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If it was not on yesterday on a TV station it unlikely. If it was you can watch on the Player but it's a pain between adds and buffering

Slava Ukrainii

TG4 @ 2000 this evening is probably your best for catching a couple of mins of it I'd say

No. Sadly.

We can get fantastic coverage of minor and 20s these days with streams available for every game.... but when it comes to Senior and the chance to do exclusivity deals with RTE/TG4/BBC we end up getting access to 3 games (Galway Kerry, Tyrone Armagh and Dublin Louth) out of the 16 games on the most exciting day of league football.

I'm sure it generates slightly higher revenue in the short term but the long term impacts are incredibly detrimental. From smaller counties missing out on better sponsorship deals to young fans missing out on access to potential heroes that might keep them playing the game there's so many indirect consequences of it that appear to get ignored time and time again. The period during Covid showed that the technical ability is there to do it perfectly now we just need myopic administration to realise that a small dent in ticket sales is absolutely worth it for a big boost in the overall health of the game.

The most recent rights deal was just renegotiated about 6 months ago so a couple of years to run on that yet. No harm mentioning any displeasure at the lack of access good and early so they've time to take the feedback on board before future renegotiations.

(Says a lot when I'm here complaining about it as a Mayo fan. We had 7 of our 8 league games shown live, likely to have similar coverage for Round Robin and knockout games due to the fanbase we bring, and even I can see how unbalanced the current system is when it comes to cracking games like Sligo Leitrim being ignored further down the ladder.)

Conroy injured in training during the week unfortunately.

You didn't miss a lot yesterday Par, fairly lack lustre from us, which is understandable, the game was there for the taking at one stage I felt but we didn't push on, kicked three wides in a row, I felt at that stage if we had got ahead Monaghan would have folded.

Probably told us a lot about our squad depth.

Callinan was excellent, Swanny looks way off the pace, DOC was awful at 6, which was disappointing, I thought it would suit him, Plunkett did well

Tuohy is still a young buck, physically he needs to develop, ok when hes surrounded by bigger lads but Monaghan bullied him at midfield. Much too early for Irwin to play senior for Mayo, he seems like a great talent but its just too early, a couple of years in with the panel will do no harm though.

Towey, IMO, isn't good enough for intercounty, lacking height, bulk and pace, we've seen lots of club players like this over the years, Durcan and Douggie from Castlebar would be two that spring to mind

Great to see Darren McHale back, I think he can be important for us from 11, I don't think we have too many with his vision, even if he did over cook some of his passes yesterday

• Advertisement

Also heard that Hession could have played the Donegal match if called upon, could be playing next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Plunkett started the game really well yesterday. Burst forward to win a free, turned Monaghan over a few times and his distribution is always strong. He's a good addition.

Coen and Callinan were also very good. The other backs struggled, especially O'Hora and Doherty.

We were well beaten in midfield. Jack Carney has won a huge amount of kickouts this season so him and Diarmuid were big losses. Bob Tuohy looks a serious player on the ball, but very lightweight as you'd expect from a teenager.

Forward play was very disjointed IMO, all the changes didn't help. Aidan was winning plenty of ball, but the quality wasn't around him like previous rounds.

I thought Callinan was very good, he'll be close to starting for championship I'd say. I thought we struggled on the breaking ball yesterday which is an area we have been doing v well on to date

Thanks guys, was hoping it might be made available on GAA Go or something like that. The minute or two on the Sunday Game didn't scratch the itch.

You're right @TsuDhoNimh , we are well looked after in terms of coverage, maybe we're a little spoilt at this stage. Alternatively, if there's camera's at every game, it's a shame not to have access to it... I wouldn't mind not having commentary at all. Seems a shame the coverage goes to waste in a sense.

Wouldn't be surprised with that, Diarmuid mops up / anticipates so much of that breaking ball.

Ah ya, it was more so to see the performances of the guys that you've mentioned rather than the performance overall.

I didn't think Callinan would make the step up so quick but he has put in enough performances now to be a serious contender imo. Would tend to agree that Touhy could do with another year or two but he has stepped up to the plate as well, that's all you can ask of these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Seems odd that the GAA would reject Mayos request to play on Saturday, given its already a designated match day. I see no reason why they couldnt do div 1 and 4 Saturday, and 2 and 3 on Sunday. With Dublin in the Div 2 final, it would even ensure a better spread of the crowd over both days.

If they were asking for a match day to be moved, fair enough - but in an already compressed season, why not try to faciliate players a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sugarman20

Confirmed for Sunday as expected.

Derry v Dublin 1:45pm

Mayo v Galway 4pm

https://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-results/

• Advertisement

I don't know but it required a scan.

I'd say that him out for league final and Roscommon game anyway.

Joyce was asked about Mayo requesting a change yesterday, he said they'd be in Croke Park 4pm on Sunday. Why would they facilitate us?

Think it's really important we beat Galway next weekend, more so than the connacht championship if we meet there.

Diarmuid is by some distance our most important and irreplaceable player IMO. He makes everyone else look better

33-1 for POTY, just saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Match was fixed to be played at that time a good few weeks ago. Counties notified of that so it was fixed. Galway as is it's right are not inclined to move it. It's not to there advantage.

Kerry learned the hard way about facilitating Tyrone the AI before last to discover afterwards that Tyrone team management decided not to vaccinate the players as a strategy as it might have slightly impinged there performance.

Mayo had the opportunity to rest players last Sunday. Galway did not so they want the full weeks break.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Fair play to Sam Callinan. He was playing on one of the earlier games in the league (I think he came on as sub), and it was all going wrong for him. Mistake after mistake. I thought this guy is nowhere near good enough. And then game after game, he started to improve and was Mayos best player yesterday - for me anyway.

It's a pity Towey and McStay couldn't grip the chance yesterday and put in a performance. I can't see either being an impact sub - someone you'd turn to in the heat of battle, looking to having a steadying influence. Both are too light and carry the ball into contact and then losing it. Must be frustrating for the other players.

Speaking of frustrations, there were a lot of kicks at goal landing short again - dropping into the keepers hands. I can understand the first half against the wind. But no excuses in the second half from 30 yards out. Darren Mchale kicked a point, but everything after that was woeful. A wide, dropping kicks short, bad passes. Mattie Ruane was kicking them into the Keepers hands as well. It would be interesting to see the stats we to which team in division 1 has kicks at goal that drop short. Cause we seem to do an awful lot of it.

Stephen Coen had a great first half. Must be his new tight haircut. But he seemed to be everywhere. Was more anonymous in the second half, but good performance overall.

Yesterday was good for Mayo. Got to rest several players, other players got a decent piece of game time practice. No harm that they lost - better than our second team beating Monaghan and have an overinflated level of confidence going into the league final/and then first round of the championship. The players that were trialed yesterday now have a greater understanding of the levels required, and hopefully it will encourage them to push on even further.

Hard enough on Towey & McStay coming into a much-changed lineup yesterday, it was their first start of the league and obviously it only went so-so for both of them. They probably won't be able to make an impact come championship unless we're very stuck but if either / both could get an extended run in the league next year, they might be an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Yeah fair enough, I didnt really consider it from the Galway side. They went full pelt yesterday and will value the extra day to prepare as much as we would the following week.

At least it should be a cracking game. I've never really gotten the "do they really want to win the league" argument but surely no fear of anyone shying back on Sunday

I was chatting to someone about that yesterday. No management, players at that level would ever be thinking... Do we really want to win it. But there can be a huge difference is wanting to win it and REALLY wanting to win it. A more serious approach in preparations, risking a player who might be boardline etc...

Judging by the strapping on Comer yesterday and Joyce's words, Galway REALLY want to win it.

Tickets available now - Section 302 is the best available for anyone bringing kids so I might hang on until later in the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Are kids free in for the final?

No. I got caught with that for the U20 final v Kildare a few years back, had a 1 year old with me and they wouldn't let her through without a ticket. Luckily, I was able to buy one online rather than having to walk back to the ticket office - have no idea why it's not free for games where capacity isn't limited

• Advertisement
Advertisement